Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girl expelled after suing school to be on boys' basketball team

Girl expelled after suing school to be on boys' basketball team

I checked the school site and it looks like they have a girls basketball team.

The New Jersey seventh-grader whose family sued the Catholic school that refused to let her to play basketball on the boys team was abruptly expelled from her middle school Wednesday.

The parents of 12-year-old Sydney Phillips were sent a letter from an Archdiocese of Newark lawyer saying that both Sydney and her sister Kaitlyn should not attend St. Theresa “tomorrow morning or any day thereafter.”

“I’m furious,” the girls’ dad, Scott Phillips, said Wednesday night. “This is unbelievable. We just wanted her to play basketball.”

The Phillips family was hoping Sydney would be able to play with the boys after the girls team was disbanded last school year.

When the Kenilworth school nixed that idea, her dad took legal action against the archdiocese and St. Theresa.

Apparently the school charter maintains that it can boot a student whose family brings a suit against it.

The Phillips family learned of the shocking decision at a training facility for the WNBA’s New York Liberty, where Sydney had been invited to watch the professional women’s team practice.

“I am disgusted. How dare them? What did Katy do? What did Sydney do?” Scott asked. “I don’t know what we’re going to do next, but we’re still going to fight.”

Last month, a New Jersey judge denied Sydney’s request to force St. Theresa to let her play, claiming there was just not enough *evidence to upend the “status quo.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/02...ball-team.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So dad's pissed that the Catholic Church won't let his daughter(s) 'identify' as boys and play sports on the boys team.....

Grow up dad! Try 'identifying' as a Catholic..........After all you did enroll your girls in a Catholic school...

I stopped reading here:

The New Jersey seventh-grader whose family sued the Catholic school that refused to let her to play basketball on the boys team was abruptly expelled from her middle school Wednesday.

It's a private school. They have a right to expel her for any reason unless their contract with the parents states otherwise.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I stopped reading here:

It's a private school. They have a right to expel her for any reason unless their contract with the parents states otherwise.
    Apparently the school charter maintains that it can boot a student whose family brings a suit against it.
    I don't know why they're shocked.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't know why they're shocked.
    LOL. The school should file a Rule 11 against them and make them pay the school's attorney fees if they don't drop the suit.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

My daughter is better than any of the boys on her basketball team. a full inch taller and made two of them cry.

Hope she wins.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

However, the family filed an appeal that claims the archdiocese’s athletic leagues are actually governed by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association.

The rules for that association clearly state that girls should be allowed to try out for a boys team when there’s no comparable girls team.

However, an association spokesperson told The Post that the ruling applies only to high school students.

A lawyer for the archdiocese did not immediately return requests for comment Wednesday night.
    http://nypost.com/2017/02/02/girl-ex...sketball-team/

The part above from the NY Post, got cut off of the end of the Fox News version.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    My daughter is better than any of the boys on her basketball team. a full inch taller and made two of them cry.

Hope she wins.
    I hope her parents lose. There was a time pre puberty that one of my daughters was bigger than most of the boys and was a terror on the court. She never was confused enough to want to play on the boys team though.

Edit to add that she hit puberty before the boys obviously.
    Last edited by Origanalist; 02-02-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I am disgusted. How dare them? What did Katy do? What did Sydney do?” Scott asked.
    Uh. You sued the school. Remember?

“I don’t know what we’re going to do next, but we’re still going to fight.”
    Gee. Now why in the world would they not want to keep doing business with you?
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 02-02-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post

The rules for that association clearly state that girls should be allowed to try out for a boys team when there’s no comparable girls team.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/02/girl-ex...sketball-team/

The part above from the NY Post, got cut off of the end of the Fox News version.
    I went to the school site and it appears that the school has a girls team.

"comparable girls team" is the question, it seems. IMO, there are irreconcilable differences, plumbing and whatnot. They probably pretend to not notice in publik skolz.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

I hope her parents lose. There was a time pre puberty that one of my daughters was bigger than most of the boys and was a terror on the court. She never was confused enough to want to play on the boys team though.

Edit to add that she hit puberty before the boys obviously.
    My daughter is 7. I also think she could play football and kick the $#@! out of some of the boys and knock their block off. lol
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Ugh. As if this entitlement mentality wasn't enough in government schools, now it's leeching over into private schools?!

I think we could use a good case of, "You ain't entitled to $#@!!". Let the team of league pick whoever they want to play. If her parents don't like it, let them try to find something else. The world doesn't have to conform to your wishes, snowflakes.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

This suit is equivalent in my eyes to suing a popcorn salesman for not selling peanuts.
    If you don't like the product being offered, find another vendor.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Every single day.... there are mountains of stories every single day that leave me speechless and question the very nature of humanity.

The stupid.... make is stop.

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Well, with the emasculation of young men these days I could see where having a girl on their team might improve their chances of winning.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Real genius parents there... let's demand our daughter play a game with 9 boys who will have ample opportunity to grope her for 48 minutes.
    I'm certain that factored into the Catholic school's thinking at least somewhat.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Real genius parents there... let's demand our daughter play a game with 9 boys who will have ample opportunity to grope her for 48 minutes.
    Yeah, cos we all know that it so easy to grope someone in a public basketball court while trying to play basketball. And 9 boys? do you also believe that guys on his team will be coming to grope her?

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I'm certain that factored into the Catholic school's thinking at least somewhat.
    Obviously, that must be the reason why they are OK with letting girls play with boys in high school, at time when they are more likely to drope anyone.

I am totally Ok with it if they are suing concerning something in the rules and regulations. If you agree to something, better be prepared to fulfill it when it is time.

School says girl who sued to play on boys basketball team can’t return

KENILWORTH, N.J. — A New Jersey Catholic school that was ordered to rescind two sisters’ expulsions amid the older sister’s legal battle to play on a boys’ basketball team won’t allow them to return next year.

NJ.com reports St. Theresa’s School in Kenilworth rejected applications for next school year from 13-year-old Sydney Phillips and her younger sister, Kaitlyn Phillips.

The girls were expelled this year after their family sued. An appellate judge ordered the girls be allowed to return until a court hearing. A different judge had denied the family’s attempt to get Sydney on a boys’ team after the girls’ team was canceled.

An archdiocese spokesman says the private school is not required to accept anyone’s enrollment.

The girls’ father says he’ll fight the decision in court.
    http://nypost.com/2017/06/29/school-...m-cant-return/

If ya'll are ok with them denying her cus she's female, I bet ya'll also think it would be ok to deny her if she were black.

And thusly - you are all racists, and by extension you are all wrong. I win thread.

Drop_mic.gif
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I don't understand the mentality of the father here.... why would you want to force your school (a private religious school) to mix genders on a sports team, sue them, and then complain about being expelled?

I hope the school wins and counter-sues for damages and fees.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    If ya'll are ok with them denying her cus she's female, I bet ya'll also think it would be ok to deny her if she were black.

And thusly - you are all racists, and by extension you are all wrong. I win thread.

Drop_mic.gif
    "Ya'll" ?

Texan credentials dubious.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    "Ya'll" ?

Go west till you smell it...

Then go south until you step in it.

Then you're in Texas.

or

"You may all go to hell, I am going to Texas" D Crockett (detective from Miami PD for you public schoolers"

"Ya'll" ?

Good point, Texans are known for their immaculate spelling and grammer
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The article claims the girls team was disbanded last year, are you sure you weren't looking at relics?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"Ya'll" ?

Learning how to properly contract "you all" is an upper-level course in Texanistical Grammar and Punctuation. Very few are tough enough to handle it.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Learning how to properly contract "you all" is an upper-level course in Texanistical Grammar and Punctuation. Very few are tough enough to handle it.
    It's actually a more nuanced distinction depending on the particular Texan dialect, either Ya'll or Y'all can be correctly used. There is a subtle difference in pronunciation, typically only discernible to native Texans
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The article claims the girls team was disbanded last year, are you sure you weren't looking at relics?
    Still says it has a girl's team.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Still says it has a girl's team.
    Are you suggesting foxnews.com is reporting something that isn't true?
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Are you suggesting foxnews.com is reporting something that isn't true?
    SHOCKER!
    There is no spoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast