Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US bacon reserves hit 50 year low

US bacon reserves hit 50 year low

First, you suffered through a Christmas without whipped cream. Now, you could be facing a bacon-less Super Bowl—unless you're willing to pay a premium for a crispy slice of heaven.

As of December, there were 17.8 million pounds of frozen pork belly, which is made into bacon, in US reserves, according to the Department of Agriculture.

That might seem like a lot of bacon, but it's actually the lowest level since record-keeping began in January 1957. As the Cincinnati Enquirer puts it, "there are literally not enough little piggies going to market." Pig farmers are actually "producing more pigs than ever," says Rich Deaton of the Ohio Pork Council, "yet our reserves are still depleting."

The Enquirer notes foreign buyers may be responsible; 26% of pork produced in the U.S. is exported.

Apart from being amazed that a bacon reserve exists, consumers appear terrified by the prospect of a bacon shortage. But Deaton says the "pork industry will not run out of supply." Consumers should, however, expect to pay more for bacon at grocery stores.

Prices have already spiked 20% last month. As for when we were most flush with frozen pork belly, that would be 1988, when there were 113.1 million pounds on hand.
    http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...-year-low.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Any of that 1988 Reserve Bacon still in stock??
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Any of that 1988 Reserve Bacon still in stock??
    Probably some in the bottom of my freezer. I'm a bacon hoarder.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Well, at least the government hasn't been stealing raisins lately.

This is the kind of news we hear right before they crank up prices. Remember the great egg famine of a couple of years ago? Bacon and eggs. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 02-01-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

We shouldn't be allowing foreigners to eat our bacon.

I have bacon.......

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And there is an alltime surplus on turkey bacon. I used to stock up on bacon when its on sale but it just takes up space for month seeing as much bacon consumption has gone down over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    I think it's the Russians or Iran. Could be either.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I think it's the Russians or Iran. Could be either.
    BOMB THEM!!!!
    Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense.
    -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DaninPA View Post
    BOMB THEM!!!!
    First, we need to send in a Seal Team to rescue the bacon. Once we have our bacon back, then we can bomb them.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    You guys may be joking but this could be a serious problem

I dunno if I could afford a bacon price increase on a TSA salary.

US citizens should have first rights to US bacon.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    You guys may be joking but this could be a serious problem

I dunno if I could afford a bacon price increase on a TSA salary.

US citizens should have first rights to US bacon.
    You start searching luggage for bacon. Start with the Muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    And there is an alltime surplus on turkey bacon. .
    That's because it's rubbish and not bacon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Why I eat bacon...
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Why I eat bacon...that does kind of look like Mr Animal, lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f5cee9c2368f8a42246a52874b1c1a46.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	5621

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Why I eat bacon...
    That's what they want you to think.

My bacon reserves are doing just fine .
    Do something Danke

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Wow, butter with bacon, never crossed my mind.

Well maybe more stores will finally start carrying beef bacon, which tastes better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Well maybe more stores will finally start carrying beef bacon, which tastes better anyway.
    I'm still looking for unicorn bacon. I swear it's been on my grocery list for over a year.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm still looking for unicorn bacon. I swear it's been on my grocery list for over a year.
    Weird. My Wal-Mart carries it, but my Harris Teeter doesn't. lol

Weird. My Wal-Mart carries it, but my Harris Teeter doesn't. lol
    My Walmart, Publix, Kroger, and Asian market don't carry it. I keep forgetting to stop in Ingles to look for it. They might have it, they have all kinds of weird $#@!.

My Walmart, Publix, Kroger, and Asian market don't carry it. I keep forgetting to stop in Ingles to look for it. They might have it, they have all kinds of weird $#@!.
    Yeah , I have not seen it . I never checked walmart though .
    Do something Danke

Dunno your zip code or I'd have looked it up myself. Figures my closest store is the one that's out of stock...

Dunno your zip code or I'd have looked it up myself. Figures my closest store is the one that's out of stock...

Well, the Walmart says it's in stock in all three stores within a 15 mile radius of me. Is it with the regular bacon or is there a special Unicorn bacon spot?

Well, the Walmart says it's in stock in all three stores within a 15 mile radius of me. Is it with the regular bacon or is there a special Unicorn bacon spot?
    lol, it's with the regular bacon, but the packaging looks identical to the pork kind. You have to actually read to boxes and find the one that says "Beef" on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast