Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dr. Rand Paul Unveils Obamacare Replacement Act

Media coverage:
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...ent/ar-AAmeDyQ

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/25/se...lacement-plan/

https://mishtalk.com/2017/01/25/rand...ish-proposals/

http://reason.com/blog/2017/01/25/se...eplacement-for

• Provides a two-year open-enrollment period under which individuals with pre-existing conditions can obtain coverage.

• Restores HIPAA pre-existing conditions protections. Prior to Obamacare, HIPAA guaranteed those within the group market could obtain continuous health coverage regardless of preexisting conditions.

That's to cover those who worry about mass insurance deprivation without Obamacare. But interesting market innovations are in the bill to change the game as well:

• Replaces the existing open-ended tax exclusion for employer-provided health insurance with a universal deduction on both income and payroll taxes that would provide the same level of benefit regardless of how an individual obtains their health insurance.

Paul lamented in a conference call for media introducing the bill this afternoon that some were interpreting this as eliminating the employee tax deduction; it is not, merely extending it to individuals paying for their own as individuals or in a market-formed group.
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/874934
    The latest GOP proposal to replace the embattled Affordable Care Act (ACA) predictably hews to popular Republican approaches to healthcare reform, but also contains some surprising provisions that directly benefit physicians.
    --snip--
    Under a bill introduced yesterday by Sen. Rand Paul, MD (R-KY), physicians could deduct the value of charity or uncompensated medical care on their taxes up to 10% of their gross income. The bill, titled the Obamacare Replacement Act, also would allow independent physicians to join together and collectively bargain with private insurers, which is now prohibited by federal antitrust laws.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That reason article answered my question regarding PECs; health pools won't be allowed to exclude people based on their conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand's Plan
    Amends the Public Health Service Act (PHSA) to allow individuals to pool together to provide for health benefits coverage through Individual Health Pools (IHPs).These can include non-profit organizations (including churches, alumni associations, trade associations, other civic groups, or entities formed strictly for establishing an IHP) so long as the organization does not condition membership on any health status-related factor.
    I still don't care for that, but it's certainly better than forcing insurers to directly pay the treatment for those with PECs.

Overall, it's a vast improvement and it's relatively easy to understand. It actually creates markets, levels the playing field, and will hopefully move people toward getting portable plans by joining pools not based on current employment.
    Last edited by EBounding; 01-26-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    It's $600 a month...that's just for one. Last year I had a manufacturer coupon but it expired. I just sent my doctor an email and told him I need to take the generics or I can't take it. I don't really want to take any of it and could reverse it with a plant based diet but my willpower is meh..apparently.
    while plants are good, meat and fat are also good. It's the carbohydrates(sugars) that are your enemy, look into the ketogenic diet, did wonders for me and I love bacon,

Under a bill introduced yesterday by Sen. Rand Paul, MD (R-KY), physicians could deduct the value of charity or uncompensated medical care on their taxes up to 10% of their gross income.

The thing I don't get is, why cap it at 10%? All that does is impose bureaucratic bull$#@! on people who would naturally want to provide charity.
    If that 10% was 100%, this plan could have spurred doctors to create voluntarily funded, 100% charity clinics.
    Instead it's creating another layer of overhead to deal with.

Don't get me wrong. This is the best plan so far. And he's absolutely right that, if the Republicans don't replace it with something the minute it's repealed, that's political poison.
    It could use some libertarian tweaking though.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    The thing I don't get is, why cap it at 10%? All that does is impose bureaucratic bull$#@! on people who would naturally want to provide charity.
    If that 10% was 100%, this plan could have spurred doctors to create voluntarily funded, 100% charity clinics.
    I would guess that it was capped as a compromise to try to get support rather than being attacked as a way for doctors to "cheat" on their taxes. If it works out well as is, there would be nothing to stop them from upping that number in the future.

Don't get me wrong. This is the best plan so far. And he's absolutely right that, if the Republicans don't replace it with something the minute it's repealed, that's political poison.
    It could use some libertarian tweaking though.[/COLOR]
    Agreed.

It could use some libertarian tweaking though.[/COLOR]
    100% would be nice but it appears Rand is being realistic with this one. His insight as a doctor who does do some part time charity work is likely the origin of this. My doctor friends are similar.

I suppose 100% charity clinic would just be considered a non-profit.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    It's $600 a month...that's just for one. Last year I had a manufacturer coupon but it expired. I just sent my doctor an email and told him I need to take the generics or I can't take it. I don't really want to take any of it and could reverse it with a plant based diet but my willpower is meh..apparently.
    probably 50% cheaper to get round trip plane ticket to mexico and smuggle in a years supply

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

How can we get Trump to say whether or not he supports this?

It's a given that he doesn't. But how can we press him to go on record?

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Did I say anyone on this forum had done so? No.

However, on just about every article on this matter, the comments are flooded with such asinine Trumphumpery.
    Your caricature of the typical Trump troll was completely accurate.

Danno objected because it hit a little too close to home.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    while plants are good, meat and fat are also good. It's the carbohydrates(sugars) that are your enemy, look into the ketogenic diet, did wonders for me and I love bacon,
    There's different ways to control it but I know for sure plant based will reverse it.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    probably 50% cheaper to get round trip plane ticket to mexico and smuggle in a years supply
    My in-laws are in Canada. I think I'll find out how much it is there.

Anti-Trust Reform for Healthcare

Provides an exemption from Federal antitrust laws for health care professionals engaged in negotiations with a health plan regarding the terms of a contract under which the professionals provide health care items or services.

This section applies only to health care professionals excluded from the National Labor Relations Act. It would also not apply to contracts or care provided under Medicare, Medicaid, SCHIP, the FEHBP, or the IHS as well as medical and dental care provided to members of the uniformed services and veterans.
    WTF is this bull$#@!?

Anti trust needs to be enforced not exempted.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    WTF is this bull$#@!?

Anti trust needs to be enforced not exempted.
    Huh, wtf is your bull$#@!. Why should independent physicians be barred from collectively bargaining with insurance companies?

I just read the OP. That is an amazing plan.

Edit: first $#@! liberals. I think this plan has a high chance to pass because it is refer to the top.

Second 10% ain't bad. I wouldn't want one doctor basically doing all the charity. It would be like non profits. Those are liberal communist parasite central.

10% means you can go around town and find charity.
    Last edited by silverhandorder; 01-28-2017 at 08:12 AM.

Why is trump not talking about rands plan? I thought that Obamacare repeal was priority number one for republicans? Or are we just going to focus on trade wars?

Cuz we gots to keep all the scarey people out!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Huh, wtf is your bull$#@!. Why should independent physicians be barred from collectively bargaining with insurance companies?
    Market domination?

Why do patients need so much insurance? Is it the insurance companies charging patients 5 times market rates for care?
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So what are the chances of Rand's plan going through with this stupid refugee ban going on?

Bump.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12