Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Rand Paul Unveils Obamacare Replacement Act

Dr. Rand Paul Unveils Obamacare Replacement Act

Dr. Rand Paul Unveils Obamacare Replacement Act

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Yesterday, U.S. Senator and physician Rand Paul introduced S. 222, the Obamacare Replacement Act, to provide Congress with a health care plan grounded in broadly supported conservative reforms that is ready for an immediate vote after Obamacare is repealed. Dr. Paul’s proposal would expand access to higher-quality, lower-cost health care for more Americans, regardless of medical history.

“Getting government out of the American people’s way and putting them back in charge of their own health care decisions will deliver a strong, efficient system that doesn’t force them to empty out their pockets to cover their medical bills,” said Dr. Paul. “There is no excuse for waiting to craft an alternative until after we repeal Obamacare, and the Obamacare Replacement Act charts a new path forward that will insure the most people possible at the lowest price.”

The Obamacare Replacement Act empowers the American people to: 1.) Choose inexpensive insurance free of government dictates; 2.) Save unlimited amounts in a health savings account (HSA) and have wider options for using those funds; 3.) Buy insurance across state lines; and 4.) Join together in voluntary associations to gain the leverage of being part of a large insurance pool.

Dr. Paul has led the charge to replace Obamacare at the same time it is repealed, and he has been joined in calling for simultaneous action by fellow Republicans including President Trump and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan.

You can see Dr. Paul’s entire plan laid out section by section HERE, and you can find summary information below.

Dr. Rand Paul’s Obamacare Replacement Act, S. 222:

Legalizes Inexpensive Insurance Plans:

• Ensures that Americans can purchase the health insurance coverage that best fits their needs.
    • Eliminates Obamacare’s essential health benefits requirement, along with other restrictive coverage and plan requirements, to once again make low-cost insurance options available to American consumers.

Protects Individuals with Pre-Existing Conditions:

• Provides a two-year open-enrollment period under which individuals with pre-existing conditions can obtain coverage.
    • Restores HIPAA pre-existing conditions protections. Prior to Obamacare, HIPAA guaranteed that those in the group market could obtain continuous health coverage regardless of preexisting conditions.

Helps More People Save To Buy Health Insurance and Cover Medical Costs:

• Incentivizes savings by authorizing a tax credit (up to $5,000 per taxpayer) for individuals and families that contribute to HSAs.
    • Removes the annual cap on HSAs so individuals can make unlimited contributions.
    • Allows HSA funds to be used to purchase insurance, cover premiums, and more easily afford a broader range of health-related expenses, including prescription and OTC drugs, dietary supplements, nutrition and physical exercise expenses, and direct primary care, among others.

Guarantees Fair Tax Treatment of Health Insurance:

• Equalizes the tax treatment of the purchase of health insurance for individuals and employers by allowing individuals to deduct the cost of their health insurance from their income and payroll taxes.
    • Frees more Americans to purchase and maintain insurance apart from their work status.
    • Does not interfere with employer-provided coverage for Americans who prefer those plans.

Helps Individuals Join Together to Purchase Insurance:

• Expands Association Health Plans (AHPs) to allow small business owners and individuals to band together across state lines through their membership in a trade or professional association to purchase health coverage for their families and employees at a lower cost.
    • Also allows individuals to pool together through any organization to purchase insurance.
    • Widens access to the group market and spreads out the risk, enhancing the ability of individuals and small businesses to decrease costs, increase administrative efficiencies, and further protect those with pre-existing conditions.

Allows the Purchase of Insurance Across State Lines:

• Creates an interstate market that allows insurers who are licensed to sell policies in one state to offer them to residents of any other state.

Increases State Medicaid Flexibility:

• Enables states to fully exercise current flexibilities afforded to them through Medicaid waivers for creating innovative state plan designs.

Empowers Physicians:

• Allows non-economically aligned physicians to negotiate for higher quality health care for their patients.
    • Amends the Internal Revenue Code to allow a physician a tax deduction equal to the amount such physician would otherwise charge for charity medical care or uncompensated care due to bad debt, limited to 10% of a physician’s gross income for the taxable year.
    https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/pre...eplacement-act

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Protects Individuals with Pre-Existing Conditions:

Provides a two-year open-enrollment period under which individuals with pre-existing conditions can obtain coverage.
    So is this basically a federal subsidy to give people with pre-existing conditions insurance/treatment, as long as they sign up in the next two years? I'm fine with that, since I don't see any other way to transition to a free market. But if it's not subsidized, the premiums are going to be enormous (basically the cost of treatment) and people will howl, and this replacement plan won't go anywhere.

What are the "other insurance mandates" that will be repealed. All of them?

Also, is the unlimited HSA for medical expenses only? Because right now you can basically use your HSA for retirement.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Anybody know if this is getting some airtime?

Rand Paul's plan is full of common sense, principle, and good measure....

/begin_sarc

BUT RAND VOTED AGAINST MIKE POMPEO FOR CIA AND HE'S A CUCK WHO ISN'T ON THE TRUMP TRAIN SO WE SHOULD PUNISH HIM FOR THIS BETRAYAL!!!!!!!

/sarc
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

If trump does not help Rand push something through that actually helps, I'm done with my cautious optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post

/begin_sarc

BUT RAND VOTED AGAINST MIKE POMPEO FOR CIA AND HE'S A CUCK WHO ISN'T ON THE TRUMP TRAIN SO WE SHOULD PUNISH HIM FOR THIS BETRAYAL!!!!!!!

/sarc
    Have you seen any posters on this forum make this type of accusation?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ignore it and move on. What do you think about rands plan?

• Allows HSA funds to be used to purchase insurance, cover premiums, and more easily afford a broader range of health-related expenses, including prescription and OTC drugs, dietary supplements, nutrition and physical exercise expenses, and direct primary care, among others.
    Guarantees Fair Tax Treatment of Health Insurance:

• Equalizes the tax treatment of the purchase of health insurance for individuals and employers by allowing individuals to deduct the cost of their health insurance from their income and payroll taxes.
    • Frees more Americans to purchase and maintain insurance apart from their work status.
    • Does not interfere with employer-provided coverage for Americans who prefer those plans.

Kind of an interesting provision. If you pay taxes and your insurance premiums are less than 5k for the year, you basically get "free" insurance. This provision normalizes the individual insurance market with the tax treatment for businesses. It makes the system fair.

I thought that was what he was getting at a week or two ago. His plan is definitely a big step in the right direction. I will be interested to hear the critiques of it from the free market think tanks.

This is actually a practical plan that could conceivably pass that will make my life slightly better and drive prices down. It addresses the critiques from the left and it does it in an efficient manner and offers a real world alternative to single payer.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 01-25-2017 at 02:36 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is certainly a small step from my constitutional perspective, however it appears to be in the right direction. I can't remember the last time a law took a step in the right direction. If trump wants my respect he needs to push this hard.

Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    It is certainly a small step from my constitutional perspective, however it appears to be in the right direction. I can't remember the last time a law took a step in the right direction. If trump wants my respect he needs to push this hard.
    well perhaps we need to start twittering this bill at him...

This is not a perfect plan. I strongly think there should be no tax credits for businesses or individuals but that is nowhere near happening and isn't even talked about. The plan however could pass and meaningfully impact people and move the country away from socialized medicine. It is a plan every Republican can vote for along with Joe Manchin and a handful of other Democrats.

Did I say anyone on this forum had done so? No.

However, on just about every article on this matter, the comments are flooded with such asinine Trumphumpery.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

However, on just about every article on this matter, the comments are flooded with such asinine Trumphumpery.
    Do you have one example from the last two weeks?

The only person I have ever seen on this forum who claimed that Trump was better than Rand only did so because Trump was able to be so successful and Rand was not, and we needed someone who could win and who was generally on our side more than we need someone who is totally principled but is going to lose.

I think everybody on this site appreciates Rand's efforts to push Trump in a better direction, I don't think anybody here thinks Trump is perfect.. But he is pretty good in a lot of ways, the media demonizes him and the media is a piece of $#@!, and he is very smart and strategic.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ignore it and move on. What do you think about rands plan?
    It's a better transitional measure than anything I could come up with. Ultimately I think Rand and I and most of us here would like to see the government completely uninvolved.

So are people with pre-existing conditions being fully subsidized for two years in order to give them time to join a group pool? Why would anyone want to have people with PECs in their insurance pool?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    So are people with pre-existing conditions being fully subsidized for two years in order to give them time to join a group pool? Why would anyone want to have people with PECs in their insurance pool?
    Well, really they should stop calling "insurance" for preexisting conditions, as its really just prepayment for services.
    So as to why? Perhaps you set one up specifically for people with a specific condition and get bulk rates for the same products/services that all of them are going to continually need.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On CNN now

This market is full of racketeering.

What we need to do is make racketeering insurance affordable and accessible.

Enforcing free market basics? $#@! that noise. Who needs it.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Well, really they should stop calling "insurance" for preexisting conditions, as its really just prepayment for services.
    So as to why? Perhaps you set one up specifically for people with a specific condition and get bulk rates for the same products/services that all of them are going to continually need.
    Why though? Its the inflated cost plus a massive handling charge, instead of just the inflated cost.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Why would anyone want to have people with PECs in their insurance pool?
    It would probably work similar to how existing large companies' group health insurance works. Do you not hire someone because the spouse has a pre-existing condition? With this proposal, all small business restaurants' employees could band together, where most of the millions of participants are healthy, so the additional pre-existing-condition patient would not have much impact on premiums. In fact, the pool would probably have more leverage than medium-sized companies that have nowhere close to millions of participants.

All I know is it shouldn't cost $42 for an advil or $500 for an X-ray.... I freaking hate when the government gets involved.

- Diogenes of Sinope

/begin_sarc

/sarc
    At least that nonsensical $#@! is finally starting to lose steam around RPF's.

"Once again be able to get low cost plans".....when have we had low cost plans in the last 15 years?

I'm a diabetic. I ran out of meds yesterday. It costs $600 WITH insurance. I'm not going to get it. If I croak, so be it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This does nothing to address the CAUSE of astronomical cost of care in the US.

When someone stands up to chop down the patent, license, prescription, approval, mandate, and regulate scheme I'll be impressed.

The problem is the ARTIFICIAL STATE IMPOSED MEDICAL SHORTAGE.

only so many doctors because uncle only approves so many
    only so many manufacturers because uncle only approves so many
    only so many products because uncle grants monopoly rights via patent

the entire industry is a racketeering scam plain and simple

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I'm a diabetic. I ran out of meds yesterday. It costs $600 WITH insurance. I'm not going to get it. If I croak, so be it.
    consider a chromium supplement
    http://www.naturalnews.com/030292_ch..._diabetes.html

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

RPF's seems to be recovering from the mindless worship zone faster than most places on the Internet despite our having adopted it bigger badder and earlier than the clown-crowds that followed. This kind of irrational exuberance is less common here now than it was say 6 months ago. It has very significantly toned down since the actual election and again post nomination. It is, however, still rampant around the rest of the interweb tubes.

/begin_sarc

/sarc
    I didn't see the Trump supporters on Reddit complain about Rand not voting for Pompeo, people still really like Rand, except for Breitbart/Red State bottom feeder types.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post

How long are those meds supposed to last you? Is it $600 every month?

No generics?

I had a medication that I used to get at Target, then the price went up 4x and I gave in and went with them after checking with Costco and CVS and not getting a better price. Someone told me Walmart had the generics and I went back to the original price, which I'm comfortable with.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    How long are those meds supposed to last you? Is it $600 every month?

No generics?

I had a medication that I used to get at Target, then the price went up 4x and I gave in and went with them after checking with Costco and CVS and not getting a better price. Someone told me Walmart had the generics and I went back to the original price, which I'm comfortable with.
    It's $600 a month...that's just for one. Last year I had a manufacturer coupon but it expired. I just sent my doctor an email and told him I need to take the generics or I can't take it. I don't really want to take any of it and could reverse it with a plant based diet but my willpower is meh..apparently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast