Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay now I'm impressed! WH opens 'English only' site

Okay now I'm impressed! WH opens 'English only' site

'¡No, no puede!': New White House begins with English-only website as Team Trump breaks with Obama by nixing all Spanish-language content

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...h-content.html

Donald Trump will not be 'El Presidente,' judging from the website his White House launched on Friday.
    The new whitehouse.gov, unlike the online home of the Obama administration, has no Spanish-language content.
    Visiting the old White House website address for content 'en Español' brings Web surfers to an error page.
    The newly minted president made a point during the Republican primary season of his preference for immigrants to learn English, mocking former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush for speaking Spanish on the campaign trail.

'We have a country where to assimilate, you have to speak English,' Trump declared during a September 2015 debate.
    'We have to have assimilation to have a country,' Trump added. 'We have to have assimilation. ... This is a country where we speak English, not Spanish.'
    Then-candidate Trump told ABC News weeks earlier that 'while we're in this nation, we should be speaking English.'
    Trump uttered only Spanish word during the 23 debates and televised forums in which he participated, and it didn't help him.
    'We have some bad hombres here, and we're gonna get ’em out,' he said in an October debate with Hillary Clinton, referring to illegal immigrants who remained in the United States despite convictions for violent crimes.
    The chairman and CEO of U.S. English, the nation's most vocal advocate of making English the official language of the United States, told DailyMail.com that the Trump administration shouldn't give Spanish-speakers any special dispensation.
    'Maybe if they're going to do it in Spanish, they should also use all 323 languages spoken in the United States, right?' asked Mauro Mujica. 'Why just one and not the other 322?'

Mujica cautioned that while 'we have no problem with it,' the English-only White House website might only be temporary as the new administration comes up to speed.
    'I would assume they're deciding in how many languages they want to do it,' he said, but 'English is the de-facto official language of this country.'
    'I know many of those people including the president, but nobody has asked us what they should do,' Mujica acknowledged.
    White House press secretary Sean Spicer directed questions about the English-only website to media affairs director Helen Aguirre Ferré.
    Spicer took a question about Spanish-language website content during his first official press briefing hours later.
    'We are continuing to build out the website both in the issue areas and then that area,' he said.
    'But we've got the IT folks working overtime right now to continue to get all of that up to speed. And trust me, it's just going to take a little bit more time but we're working piece-by-piece to get that done.'

America's new president lost the Hispanic vote to Hillary Clinton by a 65-29 margin in November, but it had little effect on the election's outcome.
    Exit polls showed they comprised just 11 per cent of the voting public, and were largely confined to non-battleground states like California, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico.
    Mitt Romney, John McCain and George W. Bush, the three previous Republican presidential nominees, all made Spanish-language websites part of their campaign. So did Clinton's.
    But Trump made no serious bid to reach out to them in their native tongue – including online.
    His campaign's one visible effort – Spanish signs at the Republican National Convention that were meant to say 'Hispanics for Trump' – backfired.
    They read: 'Hispanics para Trump,' instead of the grammatically correct 'Hispanics por Trump.'

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

option 1) let the government provide content in multiple languages on multi billion dollar budget

option 2) let anyone that doesn't speak english download a free browser add on

hmmm

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    option 1) let the government provide content in multiple languages on multi billion dollar budget

option 2) let anyone that doesn't speak english download a free browser add on

hmmm
    Outstanding. +rep.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I'd like to see an Executive Order to do all federal government business in English.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I'd like to see an Executive Order to do all federal government business in English.
    Let the SJWs fight that one.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "I think all federal things should be in English. But when it comes to bilingualism in schools or the states, under our Constitution, it really is permissible. And the states can decide that. But under the conditions that we have today, I think it is good and proper to have one language, which would be English, for all legal matters at the national level. But this doesn’t preclude bilingualism in private use or in education or in local government." - RON PAUL 2007 Republican primary debate on Univision , Dec 9, 2007

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Even Germany is trying to manage their immigration crisis by making it mandatory for all "refugees" to learn German! If you plan on living in a country that does not speak your own language, then you should do your best to learn to use the target language at least at an A2 level. And, no, I don't say that because I'm too lazy to learn Spanish (although being in Minnesota, Somali is probably far more useful); my favorite hobby is learning languages! I'm involved in polyglot groups. But I expect immigrants to take the initiative to assimilate.

私は怒ったって事実を分かっているるが、こんなことは大切なのです。

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    "I think all federal things should be in English. But when it comes to bilingualism in schools or the states, under our Constitution, it really is permissible. And the states can decide that. But under the conditions that we have today, I think it is good and proper to have one language, which would be English, for all legal matters at the national level. But this doesn’t preclude bilingualism in private use or in education or in local government." - RON PAUL 2007 Republican primary debate on Univision , Dec 9, 2007
    I am all for letting States decide their own fate, but if they accept federal money, they play by federal rules.

Make English Great Again.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    Even Germany is trying to manage their immigration crisis by making it mandatory for all "refugees" to learn German! If you plan on living in a country that does not speak your own language, then you should do your best to learn to use the target language at least at an A2 level. And, no, I don't say that because I'm too lazy to learn Spanish (although being in Minnesota, Somali is probably far more useful); my favorite hobby is learning languages! I'm involved in polyglot groups. But I expect immigrants to take the initiative to assimilate.

That first word means "I" and I know some of the Kanji and how to pronounce a some of the hiragana.

If you can learn Japanese, Spanish should be a walk in the park. I'm learning Mandarin, which is difficult, but Japanese seems even more difficult from what I've heard. Spanish and German are probably the easiest languages I've studied.
    Stop believing stupid things

years ago, in south Florida, when my then active duty in the military, future husband got his voter registration in the mail, it was in Spanish. That needs to end
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    That first word means "I" and I know some of the Kanji and how to pronounce a some of the hiragana.

If you can learn Japanese, Spanish should be a walk in the park. I'm learning Mandarin, which is difficult, but Japanese seems even more difficult from what I've heard. Spanish and German are probably the easiest languages I've studied.
    Agree- Spanish is extremely reasonable and German is not far behind- what you see is what you get. Done a little Mandarin-

English is one of the most unreasonable languages to learn- doesn't always make sense and is a hybrid of several languages.

Things like:
    Bough
    Though
    Through
    Threw
    can be crazy-making when starting on the path to understanding English.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    Putin hacked your last sentence.
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Agree- Spanish is extremely reasonable and German is not far behind- what you see is what you get. Done a little Mandarin-

English is one of the most unreasonable languages to learn- doesn't always make sense and is a hybrid of several languages.

Things like:
    Bough
    Though
    Through
    Threw
    can be crazy-making when starting on the path to understanding English.
    Modern Greek has some issues with spelling as well. Iota, Eta, Upsilon, and a few diphthongs, all make the "ee" sound. I always have a hard time remembering which vowels to use.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    English is one of the most unreasonable languages to learn
    LOL. Keep telling yourself this.

LOL. Keep telling yourself this.
    Don't have to- my brain understands.
    There is no spoon.

Modern Greek has some issues with spelling as well. Iota, Eta, Upsilon, and a few diphthongs, all make the "ee" sound. I always have a hard time remembering which vowels to use.
    Yep- that's why I say Spanish is so easy- no real problems like this.
    There is no spoon.

Don't have to- my brain understands.
    Try one of the Uralic languages like Hungarian.

I'd like to get into Hungarian- my brother speaks it- says it's like trying to learn a mixture of Japanese and Swahili with a European touch.
    There is no spoon.

I'd like to get into Hungarian- my brother speaks it- says it's like trying to learn a mixture of Japanese and Swahili with a European touch.
    He is right. The bonus is even if you speak 10 other languages it does not help as it is different from all of them.

I tried Finnish around 10 years ago.

I tried Finnish around 10 years ago.
    I tried dutch back then, nothing like a language that sounds like you are trying to cough up a hairball. In my youth, I found Russian remarkably easy and speaking farsi not too difficult.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All immigrants should be required to speak English prior to being considered entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    All immigrants should be required to speak English prior to being considered entry.
    I disagree, but the taxpayers shouldn't be liable to provide interpretation for them..

It's the language of success! Nobody said success is easy!

(I remember a German friend telling me that the hardest thing for her were words that were spelled the same but had different meanings, like "bow down and tie a bow." Also words like read which can be either present or past tense)

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I disagree, but the taxpayers shouldn't be liable to provide interpretation for them..
    Yeah I'm not that hardcore. Every 1st gen Chinese family I knew had a Grandma living with them. And none of those Grandmas spoke a word of English. It was endearing!

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    if that's what you demand of immigrants you house and employ fine

but your standard shouldn't have any bearing on my liberty to make employment or housing decisions on my property

Yeah I'm not that hardcore. Every 1st gen Chinese family I knew had a Grandma living with them. And none of those Grandmas spoke a word of English. It was endearing!
    Family, friends, and churches should solve that problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast