Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump repeats debunked voter fraud claim at meeting with Hill leaders

Trump repeats debunked voter fraud claim at meeting with Hill leaders

Trump repeats debunked voter fraud claim at meeting with Hill leaders

In his first meeting with congressional leaders of both parties since taking office, President Donald Trump on Monday reiterated a debunked claim that he lost the national popular vote only because of widespread voter fraud.

Multiple sources described the exchange as part of a generally lighthearted meet-and-greet between Trump and the lawmakers at the White House. It’s unclear whether any of the leaders responded to Trump.

Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) confirmed that Trump made the voter fraud claim, but added, "I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I was ready to move onto some policy issues. I didn't anticipate that discussion."

It's further evidence of Trump’s fixation with his narrow victory, in which he won the Electoral College handily despite losing the popular vote to Hillary Clinton by nearly 3 million votes. Nearly three weeks after his Election Day victory, as late California returns drove up Clinton’s popular vote margin, Trump tweeted incorrectly about the size of his victory.

“In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally,” he wrote.

He’s provided no evidence to back up that claim, and multiple fact checks and investigations have called the assertion false.

Trump's aides did not immediately respond to requests for comment Monday evening.

The discussion occurred after Trump and his team spent the weekend fighting with the reporters over the size of Trump's Inauguration Day crowd, citing inaccurate figures to press their case. Press secretary Sean Spicer said Monday that reports describing Trump's comparatively low attendance were part of a "demoralizing" negative media narrative about Trump's presidency.

If leaders of either party were bothered by Trump’s renewed voter fraud claim, it wasn’t clear in their immediate reactions to the meeting.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said “substantive issues” were discussed during the session. He said he laid out Democrats' rationale for slowing down many of Trump’s Cabinet nominations.

"It was a good bipartisan leadership meeting. It was really more like a reception,” said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). “I enjoyed listening to the president and Sen. Schumer talk about the people they knew in New York. It was pretty lighthearted and a good way to start off.”

One congressional aide who attended the meeting suggested the conversation veered between a discussion of Obamacare, Trump’s Cabinet nominees, infrastructure and relations with China. The aide said Trump teased Schumer, a fellow New Yorker, about their long history.

After the meet-and-greet, Speaker Paul Ryan met one-on-one with Trump. His office said the meeting focused on the legislative agenda this year, including "repealing and replacing Obamacare, undoing harmful regulations, enacting job-creating tax reform, rebuilding our military and securing the border."

After the meeting, Vice President Mike Pence and top aides traveled to the Capitol for further discussions with GOP leadership.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-claims-234083
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In the wikileaks the DNC talks about about voter fraud between candidates and how they are pushing illegal voters for one over the other.

The dems have a near monopoly on voter fraud and have for some time. Was it 3 million? 2 million? 500k? Who knows. But what I do know is that HRC got votes that were illegal. So did Obama and nearly every other Dem in the last 35 years.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Banned

Blog Entries
    Who debunked it? Huffington Post or Buzzfeed or CNN?

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/...54023497068549
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Voted one star-terrible for a CPUd thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

In 2008, there were about 2.8 million votes from illegal immigrants. So it makes sense that in 2016 there were about 3-4 million. Donald Trump totally has the facts behind him on this one.

Then if you add in all the dead people who voted and such, I'm pretty sure you would have 3-4 million illegal votes for Hillary.. I mean, I'm pretty sure most illegals would have voted for Hillary since Trump wanted to deport them.. and dead people always seem to vote Democrat.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Without evidence, Trump tells lawmakers 3 million to 5 million illegal ballots cost him the popular vote

Days after being sworn in, President Trump insisted to congressional leaders invited to a reception at the White House that he would have won the popular vote had it not been for millions of illegal votes, according to people familiar with the meeting.

Trump has repeatedly claimed, without evidence, that widespread voter fraud caused him to lose the popular vote to Hillary Clinton, even while he clinched the presidency with an electoral college victory.

Two people familiar with the meeting said Trump spent about 10 minutes at the start of the bipartisan gathering rehashing the campaign. He also told them that between 3 million and 5 million illegal votes caused him to lose the popular vote.

The discussion about Trump's election victory and his claim that he would have won the popular vote was confirmed by a third person familiar with the meeting.

The claim is not supported by any verifiable facts, and analyses of the election found virtually no confirmed cases of voter fraud, let alone millions.

Clinton won the popular vote by more than 2.8 million votes. Trump won 304 electoral college votes to Clinton's 227.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) alluded to Trump's comments as he returned to the Capitol from the meeting Monday night.

“We talked about different electoral college, popular votes, going through the different ones,” McCarthy said. “Well, we talked about going back through past elections. Everyone in there goes through elections and stuff, so everybody's giving their different histories of different parts.”

Asked by reporters after the meeting if Trump made any surprising statements at the gathering, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) replied, “Well, I won’t even go into that.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-popular-vote/

Also, why the hell do they use the word "debunked"??

All the media did was ignore the evidence and pretend nothing existed, then they covered their ears and screamed "Lalalalallala!!" and said that he made it up.. But there are studies that back up these claims.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump Is Right — Millions Of Illegals Probably Did Vote In 2016

• 11/28/2016

Media Bias: Not surprisingly, the media take seriously and support Jill Stein's and Hillary Clinton's excellent vote-recount adventure, despite there being no indication a recount is needed. Heck, even President Obama agrees — Donald Trump won, period. But when Trump dares to suggest in a Sunday tweet that illegal aliens voted in the election, the media respond with massive denial.

"In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally," Trump tweeted to the barely concealed contempt of many in the media.

Typical was the utterly dismissive headline in The Nation, the flagship publication of the progressive movement: "The President-Elect Is An Internet Troll."

The Washington Post's "The Fix" blog site did a little better: "Donald Trump's new explanation for losing the popular vote? A Twitter-born conspiracy theory."

There are many more, too many to put here. Most follow the same theme: Trump foolishly followed the faulty analysis of Gregg Phillips of True The Vote, an online anti-voter-fraud site and app. Phillips estimates that illegals cast three million votes in the 2016 election. He's wrong, say the media. Heck, even the liberal fact-checking site FactCheck.org says so.

But, in fact, it's almost certain that illegals did vote — and in significant numbers. Whether it was three million or not is another question.

While states control the voter registration process, some states are so notoriously slipshod in their controls (California, Virginia and New York — all of which have political movements to legalize voting by noncitizens — come to mind) that it would be shocking if many illegals didn't vote.

Remember, a low-ball estimate says there are at least 11 million to 12 million illegals in the U.S., but that's based on faulty Census data. More likely estimates put the number at 20 million to 30 million.

What's disappointing is that instead of at least seriously considering Trump's charge, many media reports merely parrot leftist talking points and anti-Trump rhetoric by pushing the idea that Republicans and others not of the progressive left who seek to limit voting to citizens only are racist, xenophobic nuts.

But there is evidence to back Trump's claims. A 2014 study in the online Electoral Studies Journal shows that in the 2008 and 2010 elections, illegal immigrant votes were in fact quite high.

"We find that some noncitizens participate in U.S. elections, and that this participation has been large enough to change meaningful election outcomes including Electoral College votes, and congressional elections," wrote Jesse T. Richman, Gulshan A. Chattha, both of Old Dominion University, and David C. Earnest of George Mason University.

More specifically, they write, "Noncitizen votes likely gave Senate Democrats the pivotal 60th vote needed to overcome filibusters in order to pass health care reform and other Obama administration priorities in the 111th Congress."

Specifically, the authors say that illegals may have cast as many as 2.8 million votes in 2008 and 2010. That's a lot of votes. And when you consider the population of illegal inhabitants has only grown since then, it's not unreasonable to suppose that their vote has, too.

Critics note that a Harvard team in 2015 had responded to the study, calling it "biased." But that report included this gem: "Further, the likely percent of noncitizen voters in recent U.S. elections is 0."

Really? That's simply preposterous, frankly, as anyone who has lived in California can attest. Leftist get-out-the-vote groups openly urge noncitizens to vote during election time, and the registration process is notoriously loose. To suggest there is no illegal voting at all is absurd.

What's appalling, as we said, is not the media's skepticism, but its denial. But why? Illegal votes shouldn't be allowed to sway U.S. elections. So why tolerate them?

When the far left began insinuating that the Russians had hacked the election, the media treated the nonsupported claims with the utmost of respect. They still do. But not Trump's suggestion that illegals voted, and in large numbers, mainly for Democratic candidates, including Hillary Clinton.

And, yes, Trump is right: Illegal votes may in part explain why Hillary now has a nearly two-million-vote lead in the popular vote, even though she lost convincingly in the Electoral College. A Rasmussen Reports poll earlier this year found that 53% of the Democratic Party supports letting illegals vote, even though it's against the law. It's pretty clear why.

Yes, there is room for skepticism of any claim that's made. But every vote cast by someone who isn't by law permitted to vote disenfranchises American citizens. The charge should at least be taken seriously.

Meanwhile, we will expect the media to continue to give its fawning attention to the spurious challenges of nonexistent vote tampering leveled by Hillary Clinton and Jill Stein, on behalf of the progressive wing of the Democratic Party.

While the media savage Trump and his motives, please recall what Hillary said in the debates: that the idea a defeated candidate wouldn't recognize the results of the election was "horrifying." And she has also agreed there is no "actionable evidence" of either hacking or outside interference, despite joining with Stein to seek recounts.

So what about Clinton's motives?

As for Stein, who barely registered a blip on the 2016 electoral screen, the $5 million or so she has raised to pay for recounts really seems more like a ploy to bail out her failed campaign than a serious attempt at a recount. But the media continue to treat her like a serious political operator — not the far-left kook she is.

http://www.investors.com/politics/ed...-vote-in-2016/
    Last edited by dannno; 01-24-2017 at 12:47 AM.

I have no evidence of any murders in Chicago last year. Guess there weren't any.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Also, why the hell do they use the word "debunked"??

All the media did was ignore the evidence and pretend nothing existed, then they covered their ears and screamed "Lalalalallala!!" and said that he made it up.. But there are studies that back up these claims.

In 2008, there were about 2.8 million votes from illegal immigrants.
    [citation needed]
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

[citation needed]

Needed for what? You are not interested in any kind of real discussion. You get a neg rep for that.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

In 2008, there were about 2.8 million votes from illegal immigrants. So it makes sense that in 2016 there were about 3-4 million. Donald Trump totally has the facts behind him on this one.

Then if you add in all the dead people who voted and such, I'm pretty sure you would have 3-4 million illegal votes for Hillary.. I mean, I'm pretty sure most illegals would have voted for Hillary since Trump wanted to deport them.. and dead people always seem to vote Democrat.
    I agree. His statement might be unproven, but it has not been debunked anywhere that I've seen. Detroit alone had thousands of documented phantom votes...more votes than ballots. Combined with the scenarios you mentioned (the traditional Chicago democrat dead and the illegal immigrants voting in California) I suspect the race was much closer than we're being told.

[citation needed]
    Shame on those of you who didn't just supply the George Mason study: https://www.scribd.com/document/3324...Research-Study

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"But, but, but what about the 5 million illegal immigrants who voted in California?"

BTW, he's still hiding his tax returns, right? Just checking.

Quote Originally Posted by rpfocus View Post
    "But, but, but what about the 5 million illegal immigrants who voted in California?"

BTW, he's still hiding his tax returns, right? Just checking.
    ^ This is why we can't have nice discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    ^ This is why we can't have nice discussions.
    Ah yes, it's never a nice discussion when dissenting opinions are involved, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Lol. What an idiot. Pretending to be logical, while lacking any semblance of logic.

Why would Trump oppose a recount? Because he won, duh! A recount would not uncover illegal voters, thus it would not prove or deny his claim of non-citizen voters.

IIRC, in the recounts that actually happened due to Stein, Trump gained votes, which pretty much proves standard shennagins of the "add a vote here, throw out a vote there" by local apparatchiks.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by rpfocus View Post
    Ah yes, it's never a nice discussion when dissenting opinions are involved, right?
    1. Trump alleges voter fraud.
    2. Media says that's been debunked.
    3. Some of say no, it hasn't.
    4. Some of us cite sources that indicate there are grounds for the theory.
    5. You fabricate a quote, then for some odd reason throw in tax returns.

You did not offer an opinion, much less anything to substantiate it, then you threw in an unrelated subject. I won't be responding to your response to this post, so go ahead - you can have the last word.

Shame on those of you who didn't just supply the George Mason study: https://www.scribd.com/document/3324...Research-Study

Can't directly copy your link but in it's conclusion it states that the non-citizen voting rate was quite small.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3324...iliate&irgwc=1
    There is no spoon.

Huckabee pushes back on Trump's debunked voter fraud claim

Mike Huckabee, the Republican former Arkansas governor, joined others on Tuesday in pushing back on President Donald Trump’s repeatedly debunked claim that millions of undocumented immigrants voted illegally in the November election and cost him the popular vote.

“I have no evidence whatsoever, and I don't know that anyone does, that there were that many illegal people who voted, and frankly it doesn't matter,” Huckabee told Fox Business Network on Monday morning. “He's the president and whether 20 million people voted, it doesn't matter anymore. He's the president, and I'm not sure why he brought it up.”

There is no evidence to support Trump’s assertion, first made in a series of tweets last November and deemed false by several independent fact-checkers since, that his loss in the popular vote was a result of millions of people voting illegally for Hillary Clinton. Despite Trump’s insinuations to the contrary, voter fraud is exceedingly rare in the U.S. and widespread voter fraud is virtually nonexistent.

But Trump repeated the theory again on Monday in a closed-door meeting with congressional leaders, in which he also talked about the size of his inauguration crowd, another figure he has exaggerated.

It remains unclear why Trump continues to make this claim months after the election, but his critics regularly invoke his loss in the popular vote to argue that he and Republicans in Congress do not have a mandate.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...uckabee-234107

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1. Trump alleges voter fraud.
    2. Media says that's been debunked.
    3. Some of say no, it hasn't.
    4. Some of us cite sources that indicate there are grounds for the theory.
    5. You fabricate a quote, then for some odd reason throw in tax returns.

You did not offer an opinion, much less anything to substantiate it, then you threw in an unrelated subject. I won't be responding to your response to this post, so go ahead - you can have the last word.
    Not surprising you would take your ball and go home. In the Trump camp, as long as there is a 'theory' to float, nothing can be debunked. You want an opinion? Here you go: I don't believe for a second that there were 5 million illegal votes. Some are so anxious to disregard anything reported by the 'MSM' that they have lost grip on reality.

Is it wrong that I'm more offended by free-government-cheese "legal" immigrants/refugees voting
    than I am by illegalized immigrant residents with privately sponsored jobs and homes who step into a booth?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Is it wrong that I'm more offended by free-government-cheese "legal" immigrants/refugees voting
    than I am by illegalized immigrant residents with privately sponsored jobs and homes who step into a booth?
    Wish I could +rep you again.
    There is no spoon.

Best estimates say between 6-8 million illegal votes.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Worth repeating.
    Worth impeaching.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast