Thread: Conservative Christian legislators really want to legalize weed in the US

Conservative Christian legislators really want to legalize weed in the US

https://qz.com/889367/republicans-ma...-legalization/

More than half of US states—28—have legalized medical marijuana. Sixty percent of Americans support legalization, according to an October 2016 Gallup poll—including 42% of Republicans. Some of these cannabis supporters live in conservative states, and some are even in their state’s legislature, supporting marijuana reform measures.

In Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah—traditionally Republican locales—marijuana reform bills have been introduced for consideration in upcoming sessions. “And, it is worth noting that Republicans, who control state legislatures in most of those states, are behind the push,” writes Maureen Meehan in High Times on Jan. 16.

This month in Missouri, Jim Neely, a Republican representative and licensed physician, introduced a bill to give terminally ill patients access to medical marijuana. His daughter died of cancer in 2015, and Neely believes the drug would have helped alleviate her pain. An initiative to legalize recreational marijuana in Missouri last year didn’t make it on the November ballot. Still, Neely said that the culture seems to be receptive now, noting, “I think the timing is good.” He told Missourinet on Jan. 13 that he’s optimistic the bill will make it to the House floor, thanks to his conservative bona fides and medical professional credentials.

In Tennessee, two Republican legislators, Jeremy Faison and Steve Dickerson, a doctor, introduced a measure to legalize therapeutic weed in December. They believe it will be an economic boon to the state. The bill allows for 50 grow houses to be built, 15 of them designated for economically distressed areas.

The Tennessean reports that the marijuana measure is also part of a push by lawmakers to tackle an opioid epidemic. More opioid prescriptions are handed out than there are people in Tennessee, and marijuana is seen as a viable, non-addictive alternative for pain relief. Republican representative Ryan Williams co-sponsored a similar bill to legalize medical marijuana during the 2015 session, but it died in committee. He told The Tennessean there will be a “big push” for medical marijuana during the 2017 legislative session to address the opioid epidemic.

Marijuana has quickly turned into a non-partisan issue. Young Republicans are definitely mostly sold. According to a 2015 Pew Research survey, 63% of Republican millennials believe marijuana should be legalized. But even older conservatives are getting on board.

Ann Lee is the octogenarian founder of Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition (RAMP). A lifelong Republican, she used to believe cannabis was a dangerous gateway drug, until her son became a paraplegic at 28-years-old, in 1990. She read about the therapeutic effects of cannabis for nerve pain and became convinced that it should be legalized. She believes prohibition flies in the face of the Republican principles of small government, fiscal responsibility, and personal liberty. Lee founded RAMP after speaking on a pro-pot panel in 2012 and discovering 60% of the speakers shared her political affiliation, but thought they were alone.

Now, she works with other Republicans against prohibition, like Jason Vaughn, a conservative, religious Texan cannabis activist. In April 2015, he wrote an essay that went viral, entitled, “A Pro-Life Defense of Marijuana Legalization.” In it, Vaughn explains, “I’ve always been a fan of limited government and personal responsibility. When I started to really consider the facts of how many Texans are jailed each year for possession it really clicked.” Vaughn links his legalization to his pro-life beliefs by arguing that criminalization leads to more crime and death, and he’s for life, after all. He told Alternet that he was inspired by Texas Republican representative David Simpson, who has long opposed marijuana prohibition, and who introduced a radical reform bill to end the war on weed in Texas in 2015, which was defeated by his colleagues in May of that year.

Simpson’s angle is unique in cannabis advocacy. In an op-ed titled “The Christian case for drug law reform,” he wrote, “I don’t believe that when God made marijuana he made a mistake that government needs to fix.” Simpson doesn’t believe in banning any plants, and in fact is against prohibitions generally, at least not on anything but violence. “The Bible warns about excessive drinking, eating and sleeping (Proverbs 23:21), but it doesn’t ban the activities or the substances or conditions associated with them—alcohol, food and fatigue,” Simpson noted. “Elsewhere, feasting and wine are recognized as blessings from God. Scripture stresses respect for our neighbor’s liberty and conscience, moderation for all and abstinence for some.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So basically what you want is for government to regulate the sale and taxation of pot.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    So basically what you want is for government to regulate the sale and taxation of pot.
    No. You don't know what you are talking about. The one legislator they mention said it should be treated like tomatoes, AKA not regulated
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I would rather them out entirely.. but that is fantasy.

I do live in a legal state presently.. and have observed two. tax and regs suck,, but consumers are being served.

Minimized govt interference and open commerce would benefit everyone.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

The other day I think AF posted a video of a family's trailer getting busted apart, and the SWAT team found a small amount of cannabis and a young man was arrested. People's dogs are shot over small amounts of cannabis. This is what we are trying to get past right now. I think it should be treated like tomatoes, but if they have to make a law that it can't be sold to anyone under 18 to get to the point where we don't have people's rights being disregarded over small amounts of cannabis, then that is a step in the right direction.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

If the government *legalizes* anything, it will be controlled and taxed by government. What you want is for it to be off the controlled substances list and decriminalized. All laws will be repealed and people can do what they want after that.

Actually, tomatoes are controlled under the Food Safety Act. Look it up.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

If the government *legalizes* anything, it will be controlled and taxed by government. What you want is for it to be off the controlled substances list and decriminalized. All laws will be repealed and people can do what they want after that.

Actually, tomatoes are controlled under the Food Safety Act. Look it up.
    And what you want is for people to go to prison for using a plant? or am I missing something?

Give me a break. If I grow tomatoes and sell it to a neighbor the feds don't bat an eye. Sure technically the government claims they control everything including pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe