Thread: Perry: ‘I regret’ call to scrap Energy Department

Perry: ‘I regret’ call to scrap Energy Department

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...cabinet-233821

Rick Perry will repudiate his call to eliminate the Energy Department President-elect Donald Trump has tapped him to run when he appears at his Senate confirmation hearing Thursday morning.

The former Texas governor infamously forgot DOE’s name when he called for its elimination in a 2011 Republican presidential primary debate, a position he disavows in prepared remarks released ahead of the hearing.

"My past statements made over five years ago about abolishing the Department of Energy do not reflect my current thinking," Perry plans to say. "In fact, after being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination."

Perry also intends to walk back from his many previous comments criticizing the validity of climate change science. But he leaves open the question of what to do about it and the degree to which humans are fueling global warming, echoing recent statements from Trump’s selections to run the Interior Department and Environmental Protection Agency.
    "I believe the climate is changing. I believe some of it is naturally occurring, but some of it is also caused by manmade activity," his remarks say. "The question is how do we address it in a thoughtful way that doesn’t compromise economic growth, the affordability of energy, or American jobs."

Perry's confirmation hearing on Thursday could offer the best insight yet about the Trump administration plans for the Energy Department’s mission to foster basic science and safeguard the nation’s nuclear weapons complex given the president-elect’s narrow focus on boosting production of oil, natural gas and coal.

Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski, whose Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will review Perry’s nomination to lead DOE under Trump, has said she plans to ask about nuclear energy, liquefied natural gas exports, and the aging Strategic Petroleum Reserve. All of those are issues a long-running Texas governor should be familiar with.

Meanwhile, the panel’s top Democrat, Sen. Maria Cantwell of Washington, intends to pepper Perry with questions about cybersecurity, especially after DOE released its second Quadrennial Energy Review, which focused heavily on cyber threats to the electric grid, earlier this month.

After two energy secretaries who were unequivocal about the political and economic threats of climate change, Democrats will want to know how vocal a climate skeptic Perry still is.

And committee members on both sides of the aisle — especially the eight with national labs back home — will ask whether Perry stands by his 2011 statements that the Energy Department should be dismantled.

Republicans only have a one-vote advantage over Democrats on the Senate energy committee, but no GOP members are likely to step out of line. And West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin, who is facing a tough re-election in 2018, will be one of two senators who introduce Perry at the hearing, giving him a decent cushion for victory.

The Energy Department’s historically low political profile and small regulatory footprint compared to agencies like EPA, has set up a confirmation hearing that is Perry’s to lose.

Friends and foes alike say that Perry knows how and when to roll out the charm. They also say that he’s a quick study when he needs to be. So, does Rick Perry show up as a folksy Westerner and simply try to clear the low bar many Democrats have set for him? Or, knowing that his three immediate predecessors came to DOE with doctorates in science or engineering, does he work to counteract the unflattering narratives about his intellect and present himself as a well-read policy wonk?

Perry isn’t likely to name-drop lab directors or speak to specific bureaucratic problems at DOE the way outgoing Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz was able to do in his own 2013 nomination hearing. Expect some self-deprecating humor along with some pointed efforts to play up the managerial skills he acquired during his 14-year run as governor of the nation’s second-most populous state.

David Garman, an energy undersecretary in the George W. Bush DOE who called Trump “mercurial and illogical,” nevertheless argued that the agency “almost above all is a management challenge,” that may work to Perry's strength. "I would take a good manager over a trained scientist if I couldn’t find someone who offered both. Let’s hope Gov. Perry has the capacity to bring focused and consistent management to a complex, sprawling organization."

On climate change, Perry represents a dramatic course change from Moniz and Steven Chu, the Nobel Prize-winning physicist who ran DOE in Obama's first term.

Environmentalists will be looking to climate hawks on the energy committee like Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Al Franken (D-Minn.) to put Perry on the defensive.

In the past six years, Perry has alleged that climate researchers were up to no good, asserting that “a substantial number of scientists ... have manipulated data so that they will have dollars rolling into their projects.” While he has acknowledged that the climate has been changing "ever since the earth was formed," he has questioned how much of a role humans play — matching a view popular with other Trump picks.

Attorney general nominee Jeff Sessions gave a similar answer during his own confirmation hearing last week in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "I don't deny that we have global warming," Sessions said in response to Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.). "It is the question of how much is happening and what the reaction would be to it." Trump's picks to lead EPA and the Department of Health and Human Services, Oklahoma AG Scott Pruitt and Rep. Tom Price, gave simliar lines of argument during their confirmation hearings Wednesday.

Senate Democrats already have their hands full trying to make life difficult for other prospective Trump Cabinet members like Pruitt at EPA and Rex Tillerson at the State Department, so Perry hasn’t drawn organized resistance. But that doesn’t mean energy committee Democrats want to make it a cakewalk for him either. They may quiz him on weedy DOE science programs or nuclear issues like the decades-long Hanford cleanup to expose some gap in Perry’s knowledge. And his infamous "oops" moment from 2011 is likely to make an appearance.

“I took real umbrage over his statement during the campaign that we should abolish the Department of Energy,” said energy panel member Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), who has two DOE weapons labs in his state, “and it was not evident to me that he really understood the department and what a critical role it plays in our national security. So, for me, the bar for him to show that he is the right guy to run the agency that stewards our nuclear deterrent is a high bar.”

Spencer Abraham survived a similarly fraught situation 16 years ago when he was nominated by President George W. Bush to lead DOE, despite having co-sponsored legislation to disband the agency, but Perry’s answer will still catch everyone’s attention.

The confirmation hearing will also give freshman Nevada Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, Harry Reid’s handpicked successor, a chance to press Perry on one of the biggest issues in her home state: the future of the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository.

Trump hasn’t taken a clear stance on Yucca Mountain — when he campaigned in Nevada last fall, he seemed unaware of the project — but this is expected to be a big year for the long-stalled nuclear waste project after years of opposition from the Obama administration.

Democrats that may potentially support Yucca aren’t likely to talk about it during Perry’s hearing but Republicans will want to hear a verbal commitment to reinstating the nuclear waste office at DOE and finishing the project’s licensing process. That leaves Cortez Masto as one of the few counterweights on the issue. Her arrival in the Senate has positioned her to be politically run over by Yucca boosters much the same way Reid was overwhelmed 30 years ago when he first arrived in the Senate.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

How Can Perry Scrap Something He Couldn't Remember?

"Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

That's the trouble with bureaucrats... they want to keep their jobs so they always need more dragons to slay and resist slaying the ones they already have...

He really stuck a corn dog in his mouth on that one.
    "The Patriarch"

Oops 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Not me , scrap it now!
    Do something Danke

the swamp is over flowing , we do have the best goverment that money can buy

MAGA
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "My past statements made over five years ago about abolishing the Department of Energy do not reflect my current thinking," Perry plans to say. "In fact, after being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination."
    Translation: "I'm just your average establishment RINO, sold out to the neocons. These teocons all wanted to help me become President, and they told me what to say. I don't know jack$#@! about cutting government or the Constitution, but they told me I had to say those things to fool people."
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Does he sound desperate or what?

thinking?

Perry'$ pant$ probably got a little tight when he realized he could be involved in managing the nuclear weapon$ upgrade, 1 Trillion FRN$ over 30 year$ (which works out to 3.8 million FRN$ per hour over that period)....

Deleted. Wrong thread.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 01-19-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Last edited by anaconda; 01-19-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Guys you just need to give him a chance to not do what he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Al Gore's buddy, Rick Perry, never gave a $#@! about ideology or responsibility. He only ever cared about power and fame. We have a slightly better governor now at least. Perry was and is $#@!.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Perry hasn't closed it yet.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Perry hasn't closed it yet.
    But what if he's coming around?

Y'know, like how now Lindsey Graham is basically Ron Paul if he were voiced by an effeminate Foghorn Leghorn.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    But what if he's coming around?

Y'know, like how now Lindsey Graham is basically Ron Paul if he were voiced by an effeminate Foghorn Leghorn.
    LOL

Yeah, ol' John McCain's butt buddy is really getting rehabilitated, ain't he?

Guess what. I still hate the bastard.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.