Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence

Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence

Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence
    WASHINGTON — President Obama on Tuesday largely commuted the remaining prison sentence of Chelsea Manning, the army intelligence analyst convicted of an enormous 2010 leak that revealed American military and diplomatic activities across the world, disrupted the administration, and made WikiLeaks, the recipient of those disclosures, famous.

The decision by Mr. Obama rescued Ms. Manning, who twice tried to commit suicide last year, from an uncertain future as a transgender woman incarcerated at the male military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. She has been jailed for nearly seven years, and her 35-year sentence was by far the longest punishment ever imposed in the United States for a leak conviction.

Now, under the terms of Mr. Obama’s commutation announced by the White House on Tuesday, Ms. Manning is set to be freed on May 17 of this year, rather than in 2045.

The commutation also relieved the Department of Defense of the difficult responsibility of her incarceration as she pushes for treatment for her gender dysphoria — including sex reassignment surgery — that the military has no experience providing.

Continue reading the main story
    RELATED COVERAGE

Chelsea Manning Describes Bleak Life in a Men’s Prison JAN. 13, 2017

Chelsea Manning Tried Committing Suicide a Second Time in October NOV. 4, 2016

Chelsea Manning Asks Obama to Cut Sentence to Time Served NOV. 13, 2016

Manning Sentenced to 35 Years for a Pivotal Leak of U.S. Files AUG. 21, 2013
    In recent days, the White House had signaled that Mr. Obama was seriously considering granting Ms. Manning’s commutation application, in contrast to a pardon application submitted on behalf of the other large-scale leaker of the era, Edward J. Snowden, the former intelligence contractor who disclosed archives of top secret surveillance files and is living as a fugitive in Russia.

Asked about the two clemency applications on Friday, the White House spokesman, Joshua Earnest, discussed the “pretty stark difference” between Ms. Manning’s case for mercy with Mr. Snowden’s. While their offenses were similar, he said, there were “some important differences.”

“Chelsea Manning is somebody who went through the military criminal justice process, was exposed to due process, was found guilty, was sentenced for her crimes, and she acknowledged wrongdoing,” he said. “Mr. Snowden fled into the arms of an adversary, and has sought refuge in a country that most recently made a concerted effort to undermine confidence in our democracy.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/u...ence.html?_r=0

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Obama Commutes Sentence of Chelsea Manning!

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

The 35 years sentence ends May 17 of this year. Gonna be some fallout and headlines on this one...
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    good.
    I agree this is a good thing

- Diogenes of Sinope

I want to see the document he signed.
    If it said "Chelsea Manning" anywhere, I'm betting he's going to rot in prison.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Obama nearly started a war with Russia yeah i dont trust Obama admin with this.

Related:

Assange: I’ll Agree to Extradition if Manning Freed (1/13/17)

http://www.usnews.com/news/national-...n-assange-says
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Assange headed to US.

Supporting Member
    New York, NY

Quote Originally Posted by staerker View Post
    Related:

Assange: I’ll Agree to Extradition if Manning Freed (1/13/17)

http://www.usnews.com/news/national-...n-assange-says
    I hope he doesn't. He'd never get a fair trial. If convicted Assange would get extradited to Sweden and get convicted of their phony charges.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreLyon View Post
    I hope he doesn't. He'd never get a fair trial. If convicted Assange would get extradited to Sweden and get convicted of their phony charges.
    Is he charged with anything here?
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Obama is a coward. If he had any balls Manning would never have spent a day in prison. This is just partisan posturing, nothing more.

“pretty stark difference” between Ms. Manning’s case for mercy with Mr. Snowden’s. While their offenses were similar, he said, there were “some important differences.”

“Chelsea Manning is somebody who went through the military criminal justice process, was exposed to due process, was found guilty, was sentenced for her crimes, and she acknowledged wrongdoing,” he said. “Mr. Snowden fled into the arms of an adversary, and has sought refuge in a country that most recently made a concerted effort to undermine confidence in our democracy.”

If Manning had to do it over again, I bet he would run. I know I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

From one of the neoconservative shills who lied us into war in Iraq. Shameless.

https://twitter.com/JMfreespeech/sta...78106145976321
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreLyon View Post
    Me neither, this was not a pardon.

Time for snowden to announce that he is secretly a tranny and hope for the same treatment.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Teocons like Mark Levin are losing their $#@! over this.

Senator Cotton not as concerned about pardon of General James Cartwright, who lied to the FBI about leaking classified info to reporters.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6399639

Cotton Statement on the Commutation of Chelsea Manning’s Prison Sentence
    January 17, 2017

Washington, D.C. - Senator Tom Cotton (R-Arkansas) today released the following statement following reports that President Obama commuted Chelsea Manning's sentence:

"When I was leading soldiers in Afghanistan, Private Manning was undermining us by leaking hundreds of thousands of classified documents to WikiLeaks. I don't understand why the president would feel special compassion for someone who endangered the lives of our troops, diplomats, intelligence officers, and allies. We ought not treat a traitor like a martyr."
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 01-17-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Me neither, this was not a pardon.
    Yeah, more like a prisoner exchange.

3 thoughts:

1) Fantastic news! Now we just need Snowden, Assange, Peltier and Mamal pardoned, to wipe the slate clean as Obarry vamooses.

2) Manning was, is and remains male, no matter how many times the NYT wants to impose his self-identification upon the rest of us.

3) Was Manning's sentence commuted just to please the LGBT-A-Z crowd, and to get Assange to go along with extradition? And is it possible for Trump to trump Obarry, by issuing first week pardons to Assange and Snowden?
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Let's hope it will put a dent given this legacy.

Obama’s Legacy: A Historic War On Whistleblowers

As for Obama’s record, here’s what history will show: In his eight years in office, the Obama Justice Department spearheaded eight Espionage Act prosecutions, more than all US administrations combined. Journalists were also caught in the crosshairs: Investigators sought phone records for Associated Press journalists, threatened to jail an investigative reporter for The New York Times, and named a Fox News reporter a co-conspirator in a leak case. In Texas, a journalist investigating private defense contractors became the focus of a federal prosecution and was initially charged for sharing a hyperlink containing hacked information that had already been made public.

Those Espionage Act cases included the trial of Chelsea Manning, who was held in solitary confinement for nearly one year prior to her military trial, prompting a condemnation from the UN special rapporteur on torture.
    “The absolute twisted passion with which the administration under Obama’s leadership has pursued whistleblowers is just appalling,” says Norman Solomon, executive director of the Institute for Public Accuracy and co-founder of RootsAction.org. “And as far as I can tell, the administration is unrepentant in that process. There’s just no other administration that comes close.”

https://www.longislandpress.com/2017...histleblowers/

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post

3) Was Manning's sentence commuted just to please the LGBT-A-Z crowd, and to get Assange to go along with extradition? And is it possible for Trump to trump Obarry, by issuing first week pardons to Assange and Snowden?
    Interesting question, unlikely but Assange may have a slight better chance relatively.

Bradley Manning
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

It looks like Assange will be extradited, and expects to be tried.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/821475035441401856

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/821505178549493760

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/821522334007836672

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/821528189625372672

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/821529956530487296

That's good news. Now if Assange is to give himself up he'd better wait until after Manning is freed or they might just wind up cell mates...
    Last edited by ChristianAnarchist; 01-18-2017 at 07:33 AM.
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    good.
    Headline should be "Obama stop torturing whistleblower, promises freedom once he is out of office"

Obama could have stepped in anytime.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Headline should be "Obama stop torturing whistleblower, promises freedom once he is out of office"

It was on his "$#@! I have to do before leaving office" list but he was too distracted to do anything about it. Next item on the list - Gitmo.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post

That would have been too non-cowardly, puppets don't play that game.
    He's probably thinking he can afford to offend upper management when he has only couple of days left on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    That's good news. Now if Assange is to give himself up he'd better wait until after Manning is freed or he they might just wind up cell mates...
    How cynical , have some faith, this is the word of one of the most honest leaders in US history.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Time for snowden to announce that he is secretly a tranny and hope for the same treatment.
    While true that Obama and his first lady are big on gender freedom rights but this post sounds bit controversial.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/821529956530487296

Hmmm.... if the US government classifies him as a terrorist, does that then prohibit anyone from donating to his legal defense fund?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Hmmm.... if the US government classifies him as a terrorist, does that then prohibit anyone from donating to his legal defense fund?
    Could always use bitcoin, with some effort it can be anonymous.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Good. Done for the wrong reasons I'm sure, but still, good.

What do you think was the most significant revelation from the Manning leaks? I only remember the video of killing the two Reuters reporters and that was covered up.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast