Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obama Commutes Bulk of Chelsea Manning’s Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Could always use bitcoin, with some effort it can be anonymous.
    Yes, and it can still be seized, even from someone who is anonymous.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    5 minHá 5 minutos
    VP-ELECT PENCE SAYS COMMUTING MANNING SENTENCE A `MISTAKE': FOX

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    5 minHá 5 minutos
    VP-ELECT PENCE SAYS COMMUTING MANNING SENTENCE A `MISTAKE': FOX
    I wonder if Trump will reverse the commutation. I wonder if that's within his power??
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Glenn Greenwald Talking Chelsea Manning on Anderson Cooper's Show

Counters a lot of propaganda, such as that "people died" because of Manning leak.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

released today.

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/864840675220754436
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Glad Manning is out. Can't wait to read what she has to say...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Maybe she'll pose in body paint for you.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

One of you lucky fellows may be able to get a date now .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Obama is a coward. If he had any balls Manning would never have spent a day in prison.
    Obama had the balls to commute Manning's sentence - and although I'd have preferred a full pardon (or better yet, no conviction at all), the simple fact is that Obama did not have to do even that much.

I'm more than happy to piss on Obama for many things.

But not for this.

This is just partisan posturing, [...]
    If so, then we could do with a hell of a lot more of such "partisan posturing."

[...] nothing more.
    I rather suspect that Manning would beg to differ ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-18-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Maybe she'll pose in body paint for you.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Obama had the balls to commute Manning's sentence - and although I'd have preferred a full pardon (or better yet, no conviction at all), the simple fact is that Obama did not have to do even that much.

But not for this.

Agree on all points.
    There is no spoon.

But not for this.

No, he did have to. But being the guy who is supposed to be a darling of the LGBTQ crowd, or at least seen as such by the Democratic Left, and also being the guy who didn't help the highest profile transsexual in prison, who is being abused and beaten for being such, means throwing the LGBTQ crowd a bone once in a while.

If Obama had balls then he would've pardoned Manning completely as soon as the verdict came down. Waiting to do it the last minute stinks of either political opportunism or fear. I'm glad Manning is benefiting from it, but I'm not about the give Obama any accolades for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    He.
    "The Patriarch"

Remember what Assange said?

Do you call a biological male who pretends to be a girl, "she"? I don't.

No, he did have to. But being the guy who is supposed to be a darling of the LGBTQ crowd, or at least seen as such by the Democratic Left, and also being the guy who didn't help the highest profile transsexual in prison, who is being abused and beaten for being such, means throwing the LGBTQ crowd a bone once in a while.
    No, he did not have to. He could easily have left Manning to rot.

And as for the LGBCDEFWHATEVER crowd: had they been given an either-or, "one but not the other" choice between the "bone" of seeing Manning set free or the "bone" of seeing the White House lit up in rainbow colors (to much ooohing and aaahing from an adoring media), I would not be at all surprised if many/most of them would have preferred the latter. Had Obama not released Manning, that fact would simply have afforded the LGBWHATEVERs the continuing opportunity to "make hay" against Trump (or whatever other politically convenient target) for not doing so.

IOW: Obama's "legacy" in the eyes of that bunch is not in any danger for him to fear, regardless of whether he had done anything at all about Manning.

If Obama had balls then he would've pardoned Manning completely as soon as the verdict came down. Waiting to do it the last minute stinks of either political opportunism or fear. I'm glad Manning is benefiting from it, but I'm not about the give Obama any accolades for it.
    I haven't given Obama any accolades. I'm just not $#@!ting on him for doing this, whatever his motives.

On my scales, the release of an exposer of perfidious malfeasances from the unjust doom of spending a lifetime in a brutal cage weighs far, far more in the balance than whatever transient "political opportunism" might have been involved in such a release.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-18-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Some people are too blinded by the Democrat vs Repub football game to credit anything good to a member of the other team.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've got no love for h o m o 's or Obama but Bradley Manning deserves to be free and compensated for his bravery standing up to DC...

If he chooses to take his compensation in a pair of tits and a name change that's his prerogative...
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-19-2017 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by merkelstan View Post
    Some people are too blinded by the Democrat vs Repub football game to credit anything good to a member of the other team.
    It is a positive that Manning is released, but do not forget that it was under Obama's leadership and war against whistle-blowers that Manning was put in prison to begin with and sentenced to 35 years, placed in prolonged solitary confinement; and aside from the isolation, subjected to ridiculous sustained petty and abusive vindictive treatment such as to remain naked in the cell for extended periods, or to stand naked outside the cell for inspections, forbidden from growing hair, and worse.

So while it is always positive when a heinous perpetrator finally releases his victim after seven years of abuse, it does not negate Obama's wickedness for targeting whistle-blowers and imprisoning Manning in the first place. One does not praise a perpetrator for ending their assault on a victim. Does one cheer a corrupt cop because he finally stops swinging the baton on a helpless victim? Does one praise a kidnapper because they release the victim after several years of abuse? Does one commend an arsonist because they throw water on the house they set ablaze?
    Last edited by AZJoe; 05-19-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I've got no love for h o m o 's or Obama but Brian Manning deserves to be free and compensated for his bravery standing up to DC...

If he chooses to take his compensation in a pair of tits and a name change that's his prerogative...
    Brian being Bradley's father? http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...n-manning.html

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    It is a positive that Obama commuted his sentence, but do not forget that it was under Obama's leadership and war against whistle-blowers that Manning was put in prison to begin with and sentenced to 35 years, placed in prolonged solitary confinement; and aside from the isolation, subjected to ridiculous sustained petty and abusive vindictive treatment such as to remain naked in the cell for extended periods, or to stand naked outside the cell for inspections, forbidden from growing hair, and worse.

So while it is always positive when a heinous perpetrator finally releases his victim after seven years of abuse, it does not negate Obama's wickedness for targeting whistle-blowers and imprisoning Manning in the first place.
    All this is true.

But there is no reason to think that any of those things would not have happened under Trump or Bush - except for the commutation of Manning's sentence. There does not appear to be any reason to think that Trump or Bush would ever have done such a thing.

There are myriad causes for which to denounce Obama (including the imprisonment and subsequent treatment of Manning in the first place) - but whatever his motives, and however "opportunistic" those motives might have been, the release of Manning is not among them.

But there is no reason to think that any of those things would not have happened under Trump or Bush ...
    OMG that is horrible reasoning. That is the most absurd fallacy. That is no reason to glorify Obama and whitewash him for all his evil misdeeds, his war on whistle blowers and imprisonment of Manning. That is like cheering a kidnapper who releases his victim after 7 years of abuse, because maybe some other kidnapper would not have. Trump or Bush is the wrong measuring stick. By that red team/blue team standard You can whitewash all of Bush's evils by comparing him to Obama and vice versa. By that standard nobody is ever responsible for their own misdeeds. Everybody gets a free pass. Try instead a more objective standard like doing the right thing. Obama is responsible for his own evils. He is responsible for his war on whistle-blowers, and his imprisonment of Manning, and all his other evils, regardless of what anyone else might have done. He does not give a free pass for what he did to Manning and his war on whistle-blowers because one may speculate Bush might have done the same thing. Likewise Bush does not get a free pass on Iraq or anything else because of Obama's warmongering.

OMG that is horrible reasoning. That is the most absurd fallacy. That is no reason to glorify Obama and whitewash him for all his evil misdeeds [snip remaining hysterics]

What parts of "all this is true" (the very first sentence in my reply to your previous post) and "There are myriad causes for which to denounce Obama (including the imprisonment and subsequent treatment of Manning in the first place)" were you not able to understand?

I did not in any way "glorify Obama and whitewash him for all his evil misdeeds."

I defy you to indentify so much as a single instance in which I have done so.

I have not given Obama any kind of "pass" for his evil deeds.

But I am not going to $#@! on him for deeds that are not evil (such as letting Manning out of prison).

If you really don't understand the difference, then I don't know what to tell you.

Suppose I had replied to your previous post in the same manner in which you replied to mine - like so:
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana
    It is a positive that Obama commuted his sentence, but do not forget [bad stuff about Obama]
    OMG that is horrible reasoning. That is the most absurd fallacy. [Other stuff about how AZJoe is somehow glorifying Obama and whitewashing all his evil misdeeeds.]
    Do you see how fatuous it would have been if I had replied to you like this? So why are you doing it to me?

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-19-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Edited

I defy you to indentify so much as a single instance in which I have done so.
    I have not given Obama any kind of "pass" for his evil deeds.
    But there is no reason to think that any of those things would not have happened under Trump or Bush.
    Come now Occam. That is disingenuous. When it is pointed out that Obama made war on whistle-blowers, and targeted Manning, and imprisoned him for seven plus years, and subjected to petty abuse under his leadership, your response is to draw an irreverent hypothetical speculative comparison that "But there is no reason to think that any of those things would not have happened under Trump or Bush." To out of the blue bring up speculative hypothetical comparisons to say "yeah well these guys would have been bad too." As if that makes any difference to Obama's evils whatsoever. The only purpose of drawing such speculative hypothetical comparisons serve is a fallacious attempt to minimize, downplay, and sugar coat Obama's evil deeds - whitewash by hypothetical comparison. That is completely irreverent to Obama's deeds. No matter how bad anyone else might have been, it has absolutely no bearing or relevance whatsoever to Obama's culpability for his own misdeeds. It is a sophomoric fallacy to point and say "yeah Obama did bad, but hey others would have been bad too."
    Last edited by AZJoe; 05-19-2017 at 08:58 AM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Hope this isn't too much sideboob to show on here....
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Come now Occam. That is disingenuous. When it is pointed out that Obama made war on whistle-blowers, and targeted Manning, and imprisoned him for seven plus years, and subjected to petty abuse under his leadership, your response is to draw an irreverent hypothetical speculative comparison that "But there is no reason to think that any of those things would not have happened under Trump or Bush." To out of the blue bring up speculative hypothetical comparisons to say "yeah well these guys would have been bad too." As if that makes any difference to Obama's evils whatsoever. The only purpose of drawing such speculative hypothetical comparisons serve is a fallacious attempt to minimize, downplay, and sugar coat Obama's evil deeds - whitewash by hypothetical comparison. That is completely irreverent to Obama's deeds. No matter how bad anyone else might have been, it has absolutely no bearing or relevance whatsoever to Obama's culpability for his own misdeeds. It is a sophomoric fallacy to point and say "yeah Obama did bad, but hey others would have been bad too."
    I stand by every word I have said - including my remark regarding Trump & Bush (both of whom I mentioned only because they are the ones who happen to have "bookended" Obama, thus providing points of contrast vis-à-vis the commutation of Manning's sentence). I will gladly leave it to those readers who don't have a bug up their asses to judge whether I have "glorified Obama" or "whitewashed all his evil misdeeds."

However, I am not going to waste time discussing the matter further with someone who bizarrely insists on trying to reify what I have clearly and simply stated into an elaborate rhetorical strawman, apparently for no reason other than to condescendingly sneer at me for being "disingenuous" and "sophomoric." IOW: Go malign someone else with your casuistries. I'm done here.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-19-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12