Thread: Marijuana Legalization Shows Democrats How To Win At Policy Again

Marijuana Legalization Shows Democrats How To Win At Policy Again

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/17/...ts-win-policy/

Democrats should learn from the example of marijuana legalization that only through federalism can they achieve lasting political change.

As President Obama prepares to leave the White House and make way for President Trump on January 20, many Americans fear—with good reason—that the incoming administration will effectively nullify his presidential legacy.

Of all the things progressives fear about a Trump presidency, this is probably the one most anchored to reality. The Left’s most beloved Obama policy achievements—Obamacare and immigration policy (or lack thereof), for instance—were largely enacted through the executive branch or bureaucratic agencies under the president’s jurisdiction. The few that made it through Congress did so with little or no support from the Republicans who now find themselves in power.

But one hot-button issue Democrats have widely embraced, yet the Obama administration surprisingly rejected as a priority, is marijuana legalization. Indeed, Obama not only ignored it but also intentionally left it for the states to deliberate, indicating time and again that while it remains illegal at the federal level under the Controlled Substances Act, his government would not “spend resources trying to turn back decisions that have been made at the state level.”

While the bulk of progressive policy formed in the past eight years may soon be on its way out, marijuana legalization is poised to make more gains. Although largely dormant throughout the past several years, the trajectory of pot legalization—through the avenues of federalism laid out by our Founders, rather than the executive branch or the courts—provides a valuable lesson about why deferring to the states is the best system for both political parties to achieve meaningful reform.
    Slow and Steady Wins the Race

The first state to legalize marijuana use in any form was California in 1996, when voters approved Proposition 215 on the November ballot. In the subsequent two decades, 28 other states and the District of Columbia have passed laws permitting medicinal use of the drug, either by ballot measure or the state legislature. In November, for instance, voters in Montana, Arkansas, Florida, and North Dakota approved medical marijuana initiatives.

The gradual progress of medical marijuana throughout the states paved the way for greater acceptance of recreational marijuana, which has become an ascendant issue. Washington and Colorado blazed the trail (pun intended) on this front when voters approved ballot initiatives four years ago. Now citizens in a total of eight states and Washington DC—equivalent to about 20 percent of the nation’s population—can use the drug recreationally. Of all five states with ballot initiatives on the issue this past November, only Arizona’s voters rejected legalization.

Despite some confusion due to the divergence between state and federal law, including questions of distribution, usage, and employment benefits, so far many states have implemented new drug policies smoothly. Colorado reported $700 million in sales in the first year recreational marijuana was legal, with increases each year since. In 2016 the nationwide market grew to about $7 billion.

Coupled with this massive industry growth has been only marginal increases in usage among adolescents in Washington and Colorado, the two states with the best available data. All the while, rich public debate at the local level rages on as the effects of the policy continue to materialize.

Surges in public opinion have accompanied these changes. A study conducted this year by Gallup shows 60 percent of the country approves legalization, double what it was when states began legalizing medicinal marijuana 20 years ago. Pew Research Center shows legal marijuana gaining popularity among all age groups, with 68 percent of millennials favoring legalization.

Congress, too, has responded: In 2014 it passed a bill prohibiting the Justice Department from spending resources imposing federal law on states where pot is legal to use medicinally. It nearly did so for recreational use as well. All of this suggests that going forward, Congress will continue to defer to the states as more vote to decriminalize marijuana.
    Let States Solve Similar Issues

Marijuana regulation is just the type of political question best left to the states. Most everyone agrees that drug regulation is profoundly consequential for civil society. Although a majority of the country has approved deregulation in recent years, the issue remains deeply contentious and the country divided. Scientists continue to dispute the drug’s effects, with contrasting evidence used to bolster and oppose efforts to legalize.

Sound familiar? The same can be said for many of the domestic policy issues President Obama sought to resolve through the executive orders, bureaucratic regulations, and enforcement decisions of the past eight years—issues that are now at the mercy of President Trump’s administration precisely because of his methods of enforcement.

Take the administration’s sweeping directive over restroom and locker room usage, issued last year by the departments of justice and education. No states have any meaningful experience experimenting with this policy on a large scale, and no one knows for sure how to interpret gender identity within existing law (such as Title IX). The science behind gender identity is far from settled, and public opinion polls consistently show the majority of Americans disagree with regulating locker rooms on the basis of gender identity.

Or consider same-sex marriage. It was largely President Obama’s unilateral decision not to have the Justice Department defend the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in U.S. v. Windsor (2013) that emboldened liberal federal judges to overturn state bans on gay marriage, a rapid trend that culminated with the Supreme Court legalizing it nationwide in Obergefell v. Hodges (2015). Before the intervention of the federal judiciary, 12 states had legalized it on their own and national public approval hovered around 55 percent—a political landscape strikingly similar to that of marijuana legalization today.

Yet because federal government chose political expediency over winning hearts and minds through public debate, Americans voted in an administration promising to undo Obama’s transgender decree, and activists across the country seem poised to make the issue of same-sex marriage more like abortion—which remains hotly contested 50 years after Roe v. Wade. Unilaterally legislating these issues (and others like immigration and health care) did not compel the rest of the country to fall in line as Democrats hoped, but provoked a vigorous backlash that will likely stymie progress on these policy issues for years to come.

Trump’s election has demonstrated the need for self-reflection among many Americans, and perhaps Democrats should acknowledge that circumventing our country’s federal system—as the Obama administration has done this past eight years—doesn’t go very far in achieving lasting progressive reform on the issues most important to them. If they don’t wise up to this fact, the freedom to get high might be their most significant policy reform for years to come.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I cannot believe so-called libertarians want government to give them permission to do something private. This just drives me crazy. Libertarians should not be thinking this way. Any so-called policy issue should be with a view to repeal all law on the issue and let the government not take a position at all. So simple.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Any so-called policy issue should be with a view to repeal all law on the issue and let the government not take a position at all. So simple.
    Shut up and take my vote!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I'm going to keep pointing this out. You all hear marijuana and lose your minds. The prinicple is that you don't ask government for permission to manage your own lives.
    #NashvilleStrong

I cannot believe so-called libertarians want government to give them permission to do something private. This just drives me crazy. Libertarians should not be thinking this way.
    Who here is asking permission? Or anywhere in the world really, besides a few public medical marijuana activists. You make this point in every thread, but I still don't understand it.

Any so-called policy issue should be with a view to repeal all law on the issue and let the government not take a position at all. So simple.
    Flat-out repeal of marijuana laws with nothing to replace it will never happen. You need to have something in place regarding age limits, driving behind the wheel, public use, and other aspects similar to how alcohol is regulated, or else it will never be supported by the public. And countless people will continue to have their lives destroyed through incarceration and black market violence, not to mention all the other harm that the drug war causes.
    Last edited by jct74; 01-17-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Who here is asking permission? Or anywhere in the world really, besides a few public medical marijuana activists. You make this point in every thread, but I still don't understand it.

Flat-out repeal of marijuana laws with nothing to replace it will never happen. You need to have something in place regarding age limits, driving behind the wheel, public use, and other aspects similar to how alcohol is regulated, or else it will never be supported by the public. And countless people will continue to have their lives destroyed through incarceration and black market violence, not to mention all the other harm that the drug war causes.
    This whole post is exactly why I keep saying it. To ask for legalization of anything is to ask permission of government. To ask permission of the government is to say the government gives rights. It does not. Asking for marijuana laws to be taken off the books is not the same as legalization. It is the government recognizing they have no jurisdiction over a plant grown in the yard for personal use.
    #NashvilleStrong

This whole post is exactly why I keep saying it. To ask for legalization of anything is to ask permission of government. To ask permission of the government is to say the government gives rights. It does not. Asking for marijuana laws to be taken off the books is not the same as legalization. It is the government recognizing they have no jurisdiction over a plant grown in the yard for personal use.
    Respectfully, this sounds like mumbo jumbo. I want the damn laws repealed, weed legalized, whatever you want to call it, however you want to frame it, so that people stopped getting killed, jailed, and screwed over in all kinds of other ways. I'm still not clear what you want exactly, even though you make this same point adamantly in every marijuana thread. What do you think the course of action should be, to get these terrible laws off the books? Or are you OK with the laws? Sometimes that seems to be what you are saying, that these laws do not matter.
    Last edited by jct74; 01-17-2017 at 08:07 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So you think the government can give and take away rights. Thanks for being clear about that. It's not libertarian thinking, for sure.
    #NashvilleStrong

I cannot believe so-called libertarians want government to give them permission to do something private. This just drives me crazy. Libertarians should not be thinking this way. Any so-called policy issue should be with a view to repeal all law on the issue and let the government not take a position at all. So simple.
    It sure is a mystery why libertarians are so politically ineffective
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

So you think the government can give and take away rights. Thanks for being clear about that. It's not libertarian thinking, for sure.
    I want prohibition repealed. Do you? Maybe you can clear up your position since you have brought this up in many past threads, and stated your intent to continue doing so. You obviously feel strongly about it, but when asked to clarify won't clearly state your position. Why?
    Last edited by jct74; 01-17-2017 at 08:52 PM.

No.

This should be handled by families and churches not state edicts.

Liberties, all of them, should not be regulated.

When you're injured by something I do, when you're a VICTIM... take me to a court before a jury of my peers to discuss the matter.

Else all these regulations, fatwas, and edicts should be nullified at the personal level by all through acts of individual peaceful resistance to the legitimacy of such usurpation of authority.

should the state regulate xyz?
    should the people respect the authority of a state which attempts to regulate xyz?

Categorically NO and NO

I demand freedom and liberty for all.
    Last edited by presence; 01-17-2017 at 09:05 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    No.

This should be handled by families and churches not state edicts.

Liberties, all of them, should not be regulated.

When you're injured by something I do, when you're a VICTIM... take me to a court before a jury of my peers to discuss the matter.

Else all these regulations, fatwas, and edicts should be nullified at the personal level by all through acts of individual peaceful resistance to the legitimacy of such usurpation of authority.

should the state regulate xyz?
    should the people respect the authority of a state which attempts to regulate xyz?

Categorically NO and NO

I demand freedom and liberty for all.
    I agree with all this. But a straight repeal of marijuana laws, put to the voters in the form of a ballot initiative, would fail miserably. And it takes a lot of time and money to put these initiatives on the ballot, so not a good idea to screw around with something that wastes a bunch of resources, allowing the death and destruction of the status quo situation to continue. So I support all of these ballot initiatives that come up, and that's all I was saying in my post. Would you vote against these initiatives?
    Last edited by jct74; 01-17-2017 at 09:40 PM.

You need to have something in place regarding age limits, driving behind the wheel, public use, and other aspects similar to how alcohol is regulated, so that countless people will continue to have their lives destroyed through incarceration and black market violence, not to mention all the other harm that the drug war causes.
    Fixed it for you.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    See reply to presence above. Let me know where you disagree, that would be much more instructive if you could clearly state your position.
    Last edited by jct74; 01-17-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Would you vote against these initiatives?
    I am a market anarchist / agorist. I have never voted on any matter outside of a contract I am party to.
    I am opposed to the state democratic process, as a path via permission, to rights I already hold inherent.
    Should I seek a liberty, I simply exercise my God given rights to do as I will, while harming none.
    If need be, I exercise in secret from the self righteous villains and their agents who wish me harm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15337301_683155888528946_5485248728249925632_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	5556
    Last edited by presence; 01-18-2017 at 08:49 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Replace the word "rights" with liberty, then you have a better grasp of the current situation. The government can, and does take liberty away because of marijuana. There are millions of people sitting in jail cells and huge fortunes taken away in civil forfeiture. Ignoring this because a belief that the government does give rights is deflecting from the goal of libertarianism; liberty.

When a master allows his slave to eat is that slave exercising liberty or privilege?

There is no path to liberty beyond the exercise of one's rights as a free man.

Period.

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    The government can, and does take liberty
    The state can merely grant and revoke privilege.

Only YOU can manifest liberty through the unrepentant exercise of your rights.
    Last edited by presence; 01-18-2017 at 09:10 AM.

I am a market anarchist / agorist. I have never voted on any matter outside of a contract I am party to.
    I am opposed to the state democratic process, as a path via permission, to rights I already hold inherent.
    Should I seek a liberty, I simply exercise my God given rights to do as I will, while harming none.
    If need be, I exercise in secret from the self righteous villains and their agents who wish me harm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15337301_683155888528946_5485248728249925632_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	5556
    Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like a very ineffectual approach to ending the death and destruction of the drug war, but at least it is clear where you stand, as an anarchist. I was asking euphemia to clarify too because I believe she actually is in favor of prohibition, but it appears she has left the thread. That's fine if there are prohibitionists here, but I just wanted to get to the bottom of this argument that she makes very adamantly in every thread related to marijuana.
    Last edited by jct74; 01-18-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like a very ineffectual approach to ending the death and destruction of the drug war, but at least I know where you stand, as an anarchist. I was asking euphemia to clarify too because I believe she actually is in favor of prohibition, but it appears she has left the thread. That's fine if there are prohibitionists here, but I just wanted to get to the bottom of this argument that she makes very adamantly in every thread related to marijuana.
    Do you reckon many would even be interested in groveling for their marijuana privileges
    if anarchists-in-fact, by the millions, had not already long since seized their liberty to such,
    in defiance to the usurpation of power that is prohibition?

perhaps the best thing to do is for everyone to cease all economic civil disobedience with regard to this species
    eradicate it where we find it in garden
    focus on obtaining political permission to what was already ours
    cure to your ailment you say?
    near extinct you say?
    controlled by warlords you say?
    unfortunate

have no fear,
    some big business will gain monopoly banana republic rights to production/refinement/distribution;
    soon it will be subsidized by taxpayers;
    another mandated "insurance"

illegalize and legalize
    this is the state and you are its bitch

When a master allows his slave to eat is that slave exercising liberty or privilege?

There is no path to liberty beyond the exercise of one's rights as a free man.

Period.

The state can merely grant and revoke privilege.

Only YOU can manifest liberty through the unrepentant exercise of your rights.
    Eloquently written, but I wonder how this will work for people imprisoned for marijuana possession charges? They manifest their liberty by an unrepentant exercise of their rights by walking out of the jail cell?

you can be a agent
    you can be subject
    you can be a sovereign

regardless of circumstance
    I always choose sovereign
    I spent time in a state jail cell for illegalities of the state as a sovereign
    I chose to submit but I was never subject

I would think all who are imprisoned for fictitious illegalities
    would be best to remember at all times they 3 choices of perspective
    have faith in themselves and their cause