Thread: Tesla driver stranded in the desert after smartphone app failure

Tesla driver stranded in the desert after smartphone app failure

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...e-app-failure/

A Tesla driver was stranded in Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas after the car's keyless control app suddenly stopped working.

Interested in testing a feature that lets Tesla owners unlock and power their car using their smartphone, Ryan Negri decided to leave his keys at home when he went for a drive around the canyon yesterday.

The keyless smartphone feature, which is available through Tesla's iPhone and Android apps, lets users remotely monitor and control their Tesla Model S without their key. One of the main features of the app is the ability to "unlock and drive Model S without your key".

Negri was able to do just this - but only to begin with. After getting out of the vehicle to adjust something when he was six miles from home he found himself locked out of the car unable to get back in let alone start it.

"Six miles down the road we decided to turn back, but before that, had to adjust Mozy & Millie's car bed, so I exited the vehicle...bad idea," Negri said on Instagram. "Need to restart the car now, but, with no cell service, my phone can't connect to the car to unlock it."

What Negri didn't know before leaving the house without his keys was that the feature requires the owner's phone to have signal. Without signal it is unable to connect to Tesla's servers to unlock or start the car.

While wireless key technology is fairly common, smartphone car control is still a fairly new concept. Negri said he should have taken his keys as a precaution but also criticised Tesla for not having a contingency plan in such cases.

To save the family from being stranded in the desert all night, Negri's wife had to run two miles to find signal and call a friend to bring the key fob. Had they driven further into the canyon when the problem arose it could have been more difficult for them to get home.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "What Negri didn't know before leaving the house without his keys was that the feature requires the owner's phone to have signal. Without signal it is unable to connect to Tesla's servers to unlock or start the car."

Just goes to show that there is no real connection between intelligence and personal income.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

LOL , guy thought his cell would work in bum$#@! , get a real car .
    Do something Danke

Real cars break down in the desert, too. If he had simply locked himself out, we woudn't be reading this.

Driving around in sub zero weather and in the desert is serious business . Probably need to be a little prepared . I would say overall he was lucky to be only 6 miles from home , go two miles get a signal , pretty fortunate.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post

Just goes to show that there is no real connection between intelligence and personal income.
    Yeah, and if he can control his car from his smart phone, so can others.
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

I remember in the early 90s, I liked driving American cars because they nickel and dimed you, and occasionally needed $100 in repairs, but the Japanese cars would give you a false sense of security and then WHAM two grand to get it back on the road.

I like knowing in advance I have to make a $100 repair every two months, as opposed to unexpectedly getting my life threatened by a microchip, which is why I still drive a 90s American car.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Outside of company issue, I have never owned a cell phone and hope to never own one. Never texted in my life. Can you hear that, mother f*ckers?*

*Not that they care what some lone nutjob thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    ...which is why I still drive a 90s American car.

Cool; I have a Roadmaster from the 1990s.

And "I'm an excellent d-d-driver."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

wow

a bad idea made worse.

and for our next act,,,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    wow

a bad idea made worse.

and for our next act,,,
    So what is wrong with us: that we see this bad idea for what it is...and so many other examples, yet the mass of our fellow citizens trample each other in their eagerness to pay for this crap? They can't enough and demand more and more.

I know this is a rhetorical question and one I already have the answer to, but honestly, is freedom, independence and privacy really that unpopular?

Morons gonna moron
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I know this is a rhetorical question and one I already have the answer to, but honestly, is freedom, independence and privacy really that unpopular?
    I think there are just an uncomfortable number of people who judge themselves and others not by what they have accomplished, but by what associated others have accomplished.

The USA is the best country in the world, not because its citizens are capable of so much, but because "we" can lick any other country.
    My city's football team is better than your city's football team.
    I bought an iPhone 7, and you're still using a 5.
    Behold my Audi A8 / Prius / dually F350 with the Eddie Bauer package / Tesla S. It's cooler than your car.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Morons gonna moron
    lol

I prefer the long 'o' variation:

Mōrons gonna mōron

Phone don't getcha home.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I think there are just an uncomfortable number of people who judge themselves and others not by what they have accomplished, but by what associated others have accomplished.

The USA is the best country in the world, not because its citizens are capable of so much, but because "we" can lick any other country.
    My city's football team is better than your city's football team.
    I bought an iPhone 7, and you're still using a 5.
    Behold my Audi A8 / Prius / dually F350 with the Eddie Bauer package / Tesla S. It's cooler than your car.
    That would explain my bafflement I suppose: I have never in my life followed fashion or consumption trends.

The only brief times in over 40 years as an adult, I have ever been "hip" and "with it" is when my tastes or needs intersected with the pop culture zietgiest.

And those instances have been very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That would explain my bafflement I suppose: I have never in my life followed fashion or consumption trends.

The only brief times in over 40 years as an adult, I have ever been "hip" and "with it" is when my tastes or needs intersected with the pop culture zietgiest.

And those instances have been very rare.
    They also don't seem to last long *cough*Jetta*cough*
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."