Thread: Can the cities start rasing the drinking age ?

Los Angeles, CA

Can the cities start rasing the drinking age ?

Well. As we see that the many cities such as Boston, NYC, others took power to raise smoking to 21 ignoring the laws of the states. So, why can't the cities to do the next step to raise the drinking age from 21 to 25 by ignoring states laws including unconstitutional MLDA 21 Act of 1984 signed by President Ronald Reagan ? Don't you know that 21 years old adults always hook up with 18-20 year old adults by providing them with beer and booze. 25 law is very possible with our liberals.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If it isn't against state law, a city may raise or lower the drinking or smoking age. As you pointed out, towns and cities, and even liberal and conservative states across the country, have raised the age for smoking. Statewide, this doesn't appear to be a liberal vs. conservative issue. However, on a city level, it likely is mostly a liberal issue, at least for smoking. For alcohol, on the local level, it seems to be mostly a conservative issue. There are still lots of dry places around the country, and they are mostly bastions of Conservativism.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    If it isn't against state law, a city may raise or lower the drinking or smoking age. As you pointed out, towns and cities, and even liberal and conservative states across the country, have raised the age for smoking. Statewide, this doesn't appear to be a liberal vs. conservative issue. However, on a city level, it likely is mostly a liberal issue, at least for smoking. For alcohol, on the local level, it seems to be mostly a conservative issue. There are still lots of dry places around the country, and they are mostly bastions of Conservativism.
    Here the example of our history. When the Prohibition was repealed in 1933, the states Mississippi and Kansas remained dry till 1960.
    Last edited by Chomp; 01-17-2017 at 10:10 AM.

I was paying taxes @ 15 . If you cannot vote or buy beer you should not have to pay taxes yet , that is unamerican in spirit . Govt is all about theft . Tax revenue from drinking may drop off @ 25 so I would not expect to see that .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I was paying taxes @ 15 . If you cannot vote or buy beer you should not have to pay taxes yet , that is unamerican in spirit . Govt is all about theft . Tax revenue from drinking may drop off @ 25 so I would not expect to see that .
    Shouldn't be able to be drafted till you are of drinking age either. I know I was in the military at 18 and they had beer machines in the barracks.

cities and towns can also ban alcohol and tobacco completely should they desire. many small towns ban alcohol.

military bases are not subject to state or local law

Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    @15 and at 17, you are not adult. By law and all respects these ages are children who are under age 18, by law, have no rights to make decisions and are properties of their parents or guardians. Yes, underage citizens, by law, must not pay taxes likewise they have no other adult rights. \
    But when it comes, when totalitarian politicians abridge adult rights 18+, like you can't drink till you 21 or 25, but you must die at war, etc. It is nothing, but tyranny that is likely is a part of conspiracy by ruling elite that hijacked this nation. I am not kidding. Adult people must be brave to take a stand for themselves like they were in the good old days. People must protest by stop paying taxes till they turn 21 and not to enlist themselves to military till 21, because the government takes away their rights. In case they get prosecuted by these thugs, people must to go to the streets and protest and be ready to sacrifice their lives for liberties. But, unfortunately America is the land of the cowards now, and is ready to face her fall.

better question)

can cities LOWER the drinking age?

even better question)

can fake ID industry keep up with demands of underage drinkers?

better++ question)

is one morally justified in using force to defend oneself when a state zombie comes to enforce such a ridiculous statutory edict as at what age you can choose to consume something?

epic question)

Should the age children be allowed to drink alcohol be determined within their own minds, as raised by families, in consultation with churches, and local private organizations; and be imparted through conveyance of consequence?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    cities and towns can also ban alcohol and tobacco completely should they desire. many small towns ban alcohol.

military bases are not subject to state or local law
    Yep! My city was dry until about 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    better question)

even better question)

can fake ID industry keep up with demands of underage drinkers?

better++ question)

is one morally justified in using force to defend oneself when a state zombie comes to enforce such a ridiculous statutory edict as at what age you can choose to consume something?

epic question)

Should the age children be allowed to drink alcohol be determined within their own minds, as raised by families, in consultation with churches, and local private organizations; and be imparted through conveyance of consequence?
    Cities, counties , and states can't lower drinking age, due to the unconstitutional federal MLDA 21 Act of 1984 signed by President Reagan. If they lower it, they will lose federal aid for their roads.
    I got a question regarding fake IDs. With this computer technology and ID bar codes, how people still can make fake IDs that do work for adults 18-21 to buy alcohol ?
    Last edited by Chomp; 01-18-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    But when it comes, when totalitarian politicians abridge adult rights 18+, like you can't drink till you 21 or 25, but you must die at war, etc.
    You can't be serious.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I got a question regarding fake IDs. With this computer technology and ID bar codes, how people still can make fake IDs that do work for adults 18-21 to buy alcohol ?
    they said the same thing about holograms

lol

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Los Angeles, CA

they said the same thing about holograms

lol
    All those fake ID marketers seems make big bucks, not paying taxes as most black marketers do. How many these guys get jailed ? I think millions.

All those fake ID marketers seems make big bucks, not paying taxes as most black marketers do. How many these guys get jailed ? I think millions.
    I suspect its much like any other illegalized industry.
    As much as the state beats it down,
    as it is mere vice and not crime,
    no free enterprising man respects the edict
    and another "outlaw" vendor soon pops up in defiance

@15 and at 17, you are not adult.
    Who says? On what valid basis? Please do not quote statute as it is never valid. Statute != law. Law >> statute AND statute << Law.

By law
    Wrong. See previous note.

and all respects these ages are children
    Dead-wrong.

My paternal grandmother was married at 15, was a countess by birth and marriage, bore my uncle at 16, and ran an aristocratic household replete with servants and other employees. Call her a "child" and I'd be inclined to slap you three counties downwind.

who are under age 18, by law, have no rights to make decisions and are properties of their parents or guardians.

By STATUTE, no Law. If what you says is true, then as property I may dispose of my children as I please, including putting them in tonight's stew. Something there seems unkosher.

Yes, underage citizens, by law, must not pay taxes likewise they have no other adult rights.
    You must be living on another planet from the one I'm on. Children buy things at the store, they are charged sales tax. Young people work, their checks are docked the various taxes, same as adults.

What, pray tell, are you talking about?

But when it comes, when totalitarian politicians abridge adult rights 18+, like you can't drink till you 21 or 25, but you must die at war, etc. It is nothing, but tyranny that is likely is a part of conspiracy by ruling elite that hijacked this nation.
    Hate to break it to you, but today government is naught BUT tyranny.

I am not kidding.
    That's what worries me.

Adult people must be brave to take a stand for themselves like they were in the good old days.
    And in what days were those? The one's where whiskey and other spirits came under usurpation and aside from a token "rebellion" became the status and accepted quo? The one where the SCOTUS usurped authority, unopposed by the people in 1804? How about the one where WWI veterans has the army loosed upon them because our illustrious "government" decided to renege on the agreement they had for benefits in exchange for service, purportedly to the nation?

We could go down a very long and nauseating list of events for which people failed to do their duty to themselves as free men. So where, then, are these "adult people" to whom you refer.

I agree with you that there are all manner of things we SHOULD be doing. The fact that we are doing none of them... well, what does one say to that?

The fact is this: the vast and overwhelming majority of Americans WANT to be slaves, just so long as they are not called the same.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Los Angeles, CA

Osan. I respect your good reply to my post. Yes, unfortunately the most Americans today are apathetic people. Due to their apathy they became slaves of the state. But the total economic and political collapse is knocking on our door now. As our mighty $ collapses and nationwide civil unrest gets out of control, the golden days of apathy will be over. The next collapse is going to be far worse than 1929. I am strongly agree with Dr. Paul warnings. Donald Trump is a hopeless clown, and those who trust in his promises, those are nothing but simpletons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    better question)

even better question)
    So long as there isn't a state law prohibiting it, of course a city can lower the drinking age. This is a state issue, not federal. However that city or state should expect less tax payer money (initially taken by the federal government) if the age drops below 21.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    So long as there isn't a state law prohibiting it, of course a city can lower the drinking age. This is a state issue, not federal. However that city or state should expect less tax payer money (initially taken by the federal government) if the age drops below 21.
    I know for a fact you can suck a shot of Jägermeister out of a stripper's belly button in Montreal at 19 (and its a legit reason to cross the border) but when is last time you saw a town in the land of the free US where a 20 year old off duty soldier could buy a legit beer?

I know for a fact you can suck a shot of Jägermeister out of a stripper's belly button in Montreal at 19 (and its a legit reason to cross the border) but when is last time you saw a town in the land of the free US where a 20 year old off duty soldier could buy a legit beer?
    Not sure what you mean by this. I didn't say any US city had a legal drinking age currently set below 21, I said it could drop the age so long as it didn't violate a state law.