Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump vows ‘insurance for everybody’ in Obamacare replacement plan

Trump vows ‘insurance for everybody’ in Obamacare replacement plan

Trumpcare?

President-elect Donald Trump said in a weekend interview that he is nearing completion of a plan to replace President Obama’s signature health-care law with the goal of “insurance for everybody,” while also vowing to force drug companies to negotiate directly with the government on prices in Medicare and Medicaid.

Trump declined to reveal specifics in the telephone interview late Saturday with The Washington Post, but any proposals from the incoming president would almost certainly dominate the Republican effort to overhaul federal health policy as he prepares to work with his party’s congressional majorities.

Trump said his plan for replacing most aspects of Obama’s health-care law is all but finished. Although he was coy about its details — “lower numbers, much lower deductibles” — he said he is ready to unveil it alongside Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

“It’s very much formulated down to the final strokes. We haven’t put it in quite yet but we’re going to be doing it soon,” Trump said. He noted that he is waiting for his nominee for secretary of health and human services, Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), to be confirmed. That confirmation rests with the Senate Finance Committee, which has not yet scheduled a hearing.

As he has developed a replacement package, Trump said he has paid attention to critics who say that repealing Obamacare would put coverage at risk for more than 20 million Americans covered under the law’s insurance exchanges and Medicaid expansion.

“We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” Trump said. “There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.”

People covered under the law “can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.d3bcce1a536b
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another failure in the march toward single payer.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Trumpcare?
    Yep. Might just turn out that way.
    A few tweaks here and there and slap on a new name.

I hope I'm wrong.
    There is only one success -- to be able to spend your life in your own way.
    -- Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

I heard somewhere the Canadian system works well.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I take it it will open up insurance sales across state lines like auto & life ins ?
    Do something Danke

I do not need any and would not buy it or pay a fine or participate .
    Do something Danke

Trump vows ‘insurance for everybody’ in Obamacare replacement plan

[Mods, delete or merge, thanks]

“We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” Trump said. “There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.” People covered under the law “can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.ede211f4ba17

President-elect Donald Trump said in a weekend interview that he is nearing completion of a plan to replace President Obama’s signature health-care law with the goal of “insurance for everybody,” while also vowing to force drug companies to negotiate directly with the government on prices in Medicare and Medicaid.

Trump declined to reveal specifics in the telephone interview late Saturday with The Washington Post, but any proposals from the incoming president would almost certainly dominate the Republican effort to overhaul federal health policy as he prepares to work with his party’s congressional majorities.

Trump’s plan is likely to face questions from the right, after years of GOP opposition to further expansion of government involvement in the health-care system, and from those on the left, who see his ideas as disruptive to changes brought by the Affordable Care Act that have extended coverage to tens of millions of Americans.

In addition to his replacement plan for the ACA, also known as Obamacare, Trump said he will target pharmaceutical companies over drug prices.

“They’re politically protected, but not anymore,” he said of pharmaceutical companies.

A week before President-elect Trump's inauguration, lawmakers passed a preliminary budget measure that starts the process of repealing the Affordable Care Act. A week before President-elect Trump's inauguration, lawmakers passed a preliminary budget measure that starts the process of repealing the Affordable Care Act.

The objectives of broadening access to insurance and lowering health-care costs have always been in conflict, and it remains unclear how the plan that the incoming administration is designing — or ones that will emerge on Capitol Hill — would address that tension.

In general, congressional GOP plans to replace Obamacare have tended to try to constrain costs by reducing government requirements, such as the medical services that must be provided under health plans sold through the law’s marketplaces and through states’ Medicaid programs. House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) and other Republicans have been talking lately about providing “universal access” to health insurance, instead of universal insurance coverage.

Trump said he expects Republicans in Congress to move quickly and in unison in the coming weeks on other priorities as well, including enacting sweeping tax cuts and beginning the building of a wall along the Mexican border.

Trump warned Republicans that if the party splinters or slows his agenda, he is ready to use the power of the presidency — and Twitter — to usher his legislation to passage.

“The Congress can’t get cold feet because the people will not let that happen,” Trump said during the interview with The Post.

Trump said his plan for replacing most aspects of Obama’s health-care law is all but finished. Although he was coy about its details — “lower numbers, much lower deductibles” — he said he is ready to unveil it alongside Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

“It’s very much formulated down to the final strokes. We haven’t put it in quite yet but we’re going to be doing it soon,” Trump said. He noted that he is waiting for his nominee for secretary of health and human services, Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), to be confirmed. That decision rests with the Senate Finance Committee, which hasn’t scheduled a hearing.

As Republicans in Congress gear up to repeal the Affordable Care Act, two Pennsylvanians reflect on their different experiences under Obamacare. As Republicans in Congress gear up to repeal the Affordable Care Act, two Pennsylvanians reflect on their different experiences under Obamacare.

Trump’s declaration that his replacement plan is ready comes after many Republicans — moderates and conservatives — expressed anxiety last week about the party’s lack of a formal proposal as they held votes on repealing the law. Once his plan is made public, Trump said, he is confident that it could get enough votes to pass in both chambers. He declined to discuss how he would court wary Democrats.

So far, Republicans have taken the first steps toward repealing the law through budget reconciliation, a process by which only a simple majority is needed in the Senate. The process would enable them to dismantle aspects of the law that involve federal spending.

The plan that Trump is preparing will come after the House has taken more than 60 votes in recent years to kill all or parts of the ACA to adopt more conservative health-care policies, which tend to rely more heavily on the private sector.

“I think we will get approval. I won’t tell you how, but we will get approval. You see what’s happened in the House in recent weeks,” Trump said, referencing his tweet during a House Republican move to gut their independent ethics office, which along with widespread constituent outrage was cited by some members as a reason the gambit failed.

As he has developed a replacement package, Trump said he has paid attention to critics who say that repealing Obamacare would put coverage at risk for more than 20 million Americans covered under the law’s insurance exchanges and Medicaid expansion.

“We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” Trump said. “There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.” People covered under the law “can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better.”

Republican leaders have said that they will not strand people who gained insurance under the ACA without coverage. But it remains unclear from either Trump’s comments in the interview or recent remarks by GOP leaders on Capitol Hill how they intend to accomplish that.

For conservative Republicans dubious about his pledge to ensure coverage for millions, Trump pointed to several interviews he gave during the campaign in which he promised to “not have people dying on the street.”

“It’s not going to be their plan,” he said of people covered under the current law. “It’ll be another plan. But they’ll be beautifully covered. I don’t want single-payer. What I do want is to be able to take care of people,” he said Saturday.

Trump did not say how his program overlaps with the comprehensive plan authored by House Republicans. Earlier this year, Price suggested that a Trump presidency would advance the House GOP’s health-care agenda.

When asked in the interview whether he intends to cut benefits for Medicare as part of his plan, Trump said “no,” a position that was reiterated Sunday on ABC by Reince Priebus, Trump’s incoming chief of staff. He did not elaborate on that view or how it would affect his proposal. He expressed that view throughout the campaign.

Timing could be difficult as Trump puts an emphasis on speed. Obama’s law took more than 14 months of debate and hundreds of hearings. To urge lawmakers on, Trump plans to attend a congressional Republican retreat in Philadelphia this month.

Moving ahead, Trump said that lowering drug prices is central to reducing health-care costs nationally — and that he will make it a priority as he uses his bully pulpit to shape policy. When asked how exactly he would force drug manufacturers to comply, Trump said that part of his approach would be public pressure “just like on the airplane,” a nod to his tweets about Lockheed Martin’s F-35 fighter jet, which Trump said was too costly.

Trump waved away the suggestion that such activity could lead to market volatility on Wall Street. “Stock drops and America goes up,” he said. “I don’t care. I want to do it right or not at all.” He added that drug companies “should produce” more products in the United States.

The question of whether the government should start negotiating how much it pays drugmakers for older Americans on Medicare has long been a partisan dispute, ever since the 2003 law that created Medicare drug benefits prohibited such negotiations.

Trump’s goal is uncertain, however, with respect to Medicaid, the insurance for low-income Americans run jointly by the federal government and states. Under what is known as a Medicaid “best price” rule, pharmaceutical companies already are required to sell drugs to Medicaid as the lowest price they negotiate with any other buyer.

Today's WorldView

What's most important from where the world meets Washington

Please provide a valid email address.

On his plan for tax cuts, Trump said that “we’re getting very close” to putting together legislation. His advisers and Ryan met last week and have been working from his campaign’s plan and from congressional proposals to slash current rates. “It’ll probably be 15 to 20 percent for corporations. For individuals, probably lower. Great *middle-class tax cuts,” Trump said.

On corporate tax rates, “We may negotiate a little, but we want to bring them down and get as close to 15 percent as we can so we can see a mushrooming of jobs moving back.”

Trump said he would not relent on his push for increasing taxes on U.S. companies that manufacture abroad — and insisted that the upcoming tax cuts should be enough reason for companies to produce within the United States.

“If companies think they’re going to make their cars or other products overseas and sell them back into the United States, they’re going to pay a 35 percent tax,” he said.

Briefly touching on immigration, Trump said that building a border wall and curbing illegal immigration remain at the top of his to-do list and that he is spending significant time looking at ways to begin projects, both with Congress and through executive action. He did not disclose what was to come on those fronts.
    Last edited by EBounding; 01-16-2017 at 07:24 AM.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

“We’re going to have insurance for everybody,” Trump said. “There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.” People covered under the law “can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better.”

....has the orange fool responded to any direct questions as to what happens to the 'individual mandate' aspect of obombacare?!...surely even the most pathetic trump cheerleader has to admit that if trump signs on to any 'individual mandates' he's toast among 'thinking trump supporters' [not that thinking people are a big constituency among trumpsters and other republicans!] ...UGH!...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rprprs View Post

I hope I'm wrong.
    Sadly, I'm pretty sure you're not.

The best health care is free-market-no-gov-involved. With this, insurance would usually not be needed- but we can't have that, now can we?
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by rprprs View Post

I hope I'm wrong.
    Just wait til you get TPP with a new name... It'll be the TTPP. Trump TransPacific Partnership and it will be huge! So great! And the people will love it!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

So, is this universal Medicaid or Obamacare 2? Republicans back to their old tricks of "what's good for the goose..."

Libtards 1 liberty 0

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I do not need any and would not buy it or pay a fine or participate .
    Same as Obamacare. I will not comply.

As long as everyone ignores the fact that insurance itself is the cause of rising medical care prices, there will be no solution.

The phrase "don't worry, you won't have to pay" is incompatible with free market price competition.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Sadly, I'm pretty sure you're not.

The best health care is free-market-no-gov-involved. With this, insurance would usually not be needed- but we can't have that, now can we?
    I totally agree that free market is the only way to go. Back in the 1950s you could get insurance for literally a few dollars a month. Then the govt fixed it.

What I'm wondering is if there's a compromise position, sort of like food stamps, where you don't completely ruin the free market system, but the really poor get at least some minimal emergency care. Maybe a totally separate govt clinic. You might have to wait a day to get in, and the quality might be low, but at least you'd get taken care of without screwing up the free market system.

Ban illness.

I want health, not insurance. If I am healthy, I benefit. If I am insured a financial corporation benefits. I would rather spend my money on a healthy lifestyle.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    As long as everyone ignores the fact that insurance itself is the cause of rising medical care prices, there will be no solution.

The phrase "don't worry, you won't have to pay" is incompatible with free market price competition.
    ...the phrase 'you can't offer/provide services without a government-issued occupational licen$e' is a bigger factor...but not a stinking peep about that from any 'liberty republican' or any other republicrat....

It's too bad Trump doesn't have internet access.

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Health savings accounts for all would work well. I got pretty sick recently and with all I pay insurance and out of pocket is more than enough to treat 99% of people.

'We're going to have insurance for everybody': Trump heralds GOP's Obamacare alternative as Rand Paul reveals it will focus on low-cost policies
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-everyone.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    Health savings accounts for all would work well. I got pretty sick recently and with all I pay insurance and out of pocket is more than enough to treat 99% of people.
    From what I can tell, this is the real direction and the "insurance for all" will cover the most vulnerable while everyone else gets free market options available via a tax free savings account.

I don't think single payer is the goal. Trump has said universal health care in Canada is better then what Americans deal with now, but it's not the goal. He's said single payer in USA would be aweful.

I hope savings account option for all and then coverage for the 5 or 10%? don't have the rug pulled out from under them. It would be a vastly superior option to Obamacare and could help transition to less government.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Key word cautiously.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    It's too bad Trump doesn't have internet access.

Let the spin begin!
    Last edited by jmdrake; 01-16-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

This is how you convince the sheep to vote against their own interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I totally agree that free market is the only way to go. Back in the 1950s you could get insurance for literally a few dollars a month. Then the govt fixed it.

What I'm wondering is if there's a compromise position, sort of like food stamps, where you don't completely ruin the free market system, but the really poor get at least some minimal emergency care. Maybe a totally separate govt clinic. You might have to wait a day to get in, and the quality might be low, but at least you'd get taken care of without screwing up the free market system.
    When I was in Calif all hospitals took care of patients needing emergency care, whether they had money or not. Also, Catholic hospitals always take care of the poor, although I believe the gov has tried to intercede with that- and these hospitals are 5 star.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by H. E. Panqui View Post
    ...the phrase 'you can't offer/provide services without a government-issued occupational licen$e' is a bigger factor...but not a stinking peep about that from any 'liberty republican' or any other republicrat....
    Yup, that's a pretty big one. That cuts the supply of doctors way down. Econ 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Yup, that's a pretty big one. That cuts the supply of doctors way down. Econ 101.
    Yeah, but now the doctors are highly qualified. They can push pills like there is no tomorrow.

Are We Really Surprised?

Donald Trump has been arguing for his own version of universal healthcare all throughout his campaign:

"Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast