Thread: Trump team in ‘frequent contact’ with Russia despite denying call with Moscow over sanctions

Trump team in ‘frequent contact’ with Russia despite denying call with Moscow over sanctions

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7527111.html

Donald Trump’s national security adviser has been in “very frequent” contact with Russia’s ambassador to the US, and the pair spoke on the day Barack Obama imposed sanctions on Russia for its part in election hacking, according to a senior US official.

Mr Trump’s team initially denied that Michael Flynn and Russia’s ambassador Sergey Kislyak spoke on 29 December, but later admitted that one call had been made on that day and another call made the day before.

However, Reuters reports that three different sources familiar with the situation said five calls were made between the pair on the day the sanctions were imposed.

The cozy relationship has raised questions about whether repeated contact with the President-elect’s team has helped shape Moscow’s response to the imposition of sanctions.

Following the enforcement of the sanctions, in which Washington expelled 35 Russian diplomats, Vladimir Putin did not retaliate, and instead said he would not deport US diplomats in response.

Mr Trump described Mr Putin’s actions as “very smart”, putting himself at odds with his own country’s government, its intelligence service and with his own party.

The President-elect’s stance has prompted outrage in Washington, including among Republicans, after US security officials advised that Russia had been behind a hacking operation aimed at influencing the US election to benefit Mr Trump.

Mr Trump has already indicated he may lift the sanctions once he takes office.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Talk between ambassadors is a bad thing?

In a few month we can tell if the Russians were taken for a ride bu whether or not he lift the sanctions. I am not talking about the petty diplomatic sanctions of Russia, I am talking about if Trump lifts the economic sanctions. I hope he lifts the economic sanctions on Russia but I am prepared to be disappointed. Talking to someone on the phone a few times doesn't mean you are interested in them. It could just mean that you are trying to use them for sex, elections wins whatever.
    Last edited by juleswin; 01-15-2017 at 12:29 PM.

so funny to see the left freaking out about the Russian menace.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Lol I love this. They think this will move the needle, the Russia story is completely played out.

So on the very same day the new Secretary of State has multiple calls with the Russian ambassador (doing his job), the Obama administration expels 35 diplomats. Could the shameless, mindless sabotage efforts get more blatant than that?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Talk between ambassadors is a bad thing?
    Terrible thing. Can't have that.

The cozy relationship has raised questions about whether repeated contact with the President-elect’s team has helped shape Moscow’s response to the imposition of sanctions.
    So, this diplomacy may have prevented escalation? The neocons and their leftist brethren can't have that. Their intent is to bait Russia into doing something they can then point out as justification for their (neocon) aggression.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

They talked to Russia? Shoulda just nuked em for all their hax.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by staerker View Post
    They talked to Russia? Shoulda just nuked em for all their hax.
    Wonder if they sold them uranium.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Wonder if they sold them uranium.
    No that's a Clinton job.

Well somebody's got to prepare for transition considering that Hillary's campaign was having bad luck in their planning.

Ex-U.S. ambassador to Moscow says banned from entering Russia

Russia has banned Michael McFaul, a former U.S. ambassador to Moscow under President Barack Obama, from entering the country, McFaul and Russian Foreign Ministry sources said.

McFaul, U.S. ambassador in Moscow from 2012-2014, said he had learnt of the ban when applying for a visa to Russia to help defeated presidential candidate Hillary Clinton prepare for what he thought would be her transition to the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7527111.html

Mr Trump described Mr Putin’s actions as “very smart”, putting himself at odds with his own country’s government, its intelligence service and with his own party.
    But not with his own country's citizenry, apparently.

imagine that...