Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the Shopping Cart of a Food Stamp Household: Lots of Soda

In the Shopping Cart of a Food Stamp Household: Lots of Soda

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/w...snap-soda.html

What do households on food stamps buy at the grocery store?

The answer was largely a mystery until now. The United States Department of Agriculture, which oversees the $74 billion food stamp program called SNAP, has published a detailed report that provides a glimpse into the shopping cart of the typical household that receives food stamps.

The findings show that the No. 1 purchases by SNAP households are soft drinks, which accounted for 5 percent of the dollars they spent on food. The category of ‘sweetened beverages,’ which includes fruit juices, energy drinks and sweetened teas, accounted for almost 10 percent of the dollars they spent on food. “In this sense, SNAP is a multibillion-dollar taxpayer subsidy of the soda industry,” said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University. “It’s pretty shocking.”

For years, dozens of cities, states and medical groups have urged changes to SNAP, or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, to help improve nutrition among the 43 million poorest Americans who receive food stamps. Specifically, they have called for restrictions so that food stamps cannot be used to buy junk food or sugary soft drinks.

But the food and beverage industries have spent millions opposing such measures, and the U.S.D.A. has denied every request, saying that selectively banning certain foods would be unfair to food stamp users and create too much red tape.
    Continue reading the main story

While the report, published recently, suggests that a disproportionate amount of food stamp money is going toward unhealthful foods, the U.S.D.A. said it was unfair to single out food stamp recipients for their soft drink consumption.

The report compared SNAP households and non-SNAP households. While those who used food stamps bought slightly more junk food and fewer vegetables, both SNAP and non-SNAP households bought ample amounts of sweetened drinks, candy, ice cream and potato chips. Among non-SNAP households, for example, soft drinks ranked second on the list of food purchases, behind milk.

“Sweetened beverages are a common purchase in all households across America,” Kevin Concannon, the U.S.D.A. under secretary for food, nutrition and consumer services, said in an interview. “This report raises a question for all households: Are we consuming too many sweetened beverages, period?”

The report was based on data from an unnamed, nationwide grocery chain, which provided the U.S.D.A. with monthly records of food items bought in 2011 by more than 26 million households, about three million of them food stamp recipients. The grocery chain identified and tracked SNAP households by their use of SNAP benefit cards at the checkout aisle. One limitation of the report was that it could not always distinguish when SNAP households used their benefits, other money or a combination of the two to pay for transactions.

Nonetheless, the report provides a striking look at the foods American households typically buy.

Across all households, the report found, “more money was spent on soft drinks than any other item” — a finding that reflects the fact that, while consumption of sugary drinks is lower today than it was a decade ago, the United States still consumes more sugary drinks than almost any other developed country, studies show.

The U.S.D.A. report found that milk, cheese, potato chips, beef, cold cereal and baked bread were among the top purchases for all households. It indicated that all Americans bought ample amounts of desserts, salty snacks, candy and other junk foods. But the SNAP households spent slightly less money on nutritious foods, including fruits and vegetables, beans, eggs, nuts and seeds.

Over all, the report found, SNAP households spent about 40 cents of every dollar at the grocery store on “basic items” like meat, fruits, vegetables, milk, eggs and bread. Another 40 cents of every dollar was spent on “cereal, prepared foods, dairy products, rice and beans.” Lastly, 20 cents of each dollar was spent on a broad category of junk foods that included “sweetened beverages, desserts, salty snacks, candy and sugar.”

SNAP households spent 9.3 percent of their grocery budgets on sweetened beverages alone, not including soft drinks. That was slightly higher than the 7.1 percent figure for households that do not receive food stamps.
    [IMG]https://static01.********/images/2017/01/14/science/00Snapsoda-ShoppingCart/00Snapsoda-ShoppingCart-master768.jpg[/IMG]

^ when you see that it's not someone drinking the soda it's someone using foodstamps to buy soda to sell in their bodega or restaurant

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Years ago when my kids were small I would bring them out early on recycling day to pick up cans and bottles. In CT there is a 5 cent deposit. We would find very few cans or bottles in the recycling until we got to the Section 8 neighborhood. It was there that we scored pay dirt. Often times getting $20 worth of bottles in a half hour. People that pay for their chit value what they pay for more than those that get it for free.

This always makes my blood boil when I see nothing but junk food in the cart of the person in front of me and they whip out their SNAP card to pay. And they're a land whale too. And they then run a second transaction for booze and tobacco and pay with cash or another card.

You can't turn off SNAP overnight; there would be riots and more innocents would be harmed. But we can use incrementalism to take this back the other way, down to zero. First, eliminate all liquids save for water and maybe milk. Then eliminate 'junk' foods, high sugar/salt, processed foods. Dial it back to fresh fruits and veggies, meat, maybe rice, pasta and canned goods. Eventually eliminate milk and meat. Never met a fat vegetarian. Then, pare back the actual cash amount. Final step is back to only getting a loaf of bread and a block of government cheese. Then, nothing.

Take maybe five years, trimming staff and duties along the way. Start of year 6, shut off the lights, lock the doors and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Years ago when my kids were small I would bring them out early on recycling day to pick up cans and bottles. In CT there is a 5 cent deposit. We would find very few cans or bottles in the recycling until we got to the Section 8 neighborhood. It was there that we scored pay dirt. Often times getting $20 worth of bottles in a half hour. People that pay for their chit value what they pay for more than those that get it for free.
    We got 10 cents when I was a kid in Michigan. Pattern held the there too. That was some great money for a kid.

I read just the other day, the same idea is being batted around in GA.

Tennessee bill: No food stamps for ice cream, soda

A Tennessee lawmaker has filed a bill in the legislature that would prohibit low-income families from using food stamps to purchase items high in calories, sugar or fat, saying such benefits should come with strings attached.

Rep. Sheila Butt, R-Columbia, filed the bill Thursday, which would ban the purchase of foods such as ice cream, candy, cookies and cake, which the bill says is recommended by the Department of Agriculture. Under the bill’s language, the state also would be able to seek a waiver to create a list of prohibited food items.

Individuals and businesses that violate the measure, should it become law, would be fined $1,000 for a first offense, $2,500 for a second offense and up to $5,000 for a third or more offense in a five-year period.

“When you’re receiving taxpayer dollars, it’s not money that you’ve have earned. It’s money that other people have earned and is redistributed to you. Strings come along with that,” Butt said in a release posted on her website.

“By allowing their purchase with EBT cards, we are actually enhancing diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and obesity in at-risk communities.”

Butt said in the release that taxpayers are "subsidizing unhealthy lifestyle choices" for people who receive food stamps.

"At the end of the day, if you’re on public assistance, you shouldn’t be using taxpayer dollars to consume junk food that leads to additional health problems and more taxpayer assistance to address those problems,” Butt explained.

According to state records, more than $134 million in food Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits were distributed to more than 1 million individuals statewide in November.

Nearly a quarter of that total, about $31.1 million, went to Shelby County alone. Davidson County received about $11.8 million, and Knox County received about $6.5 million. Maury County, which includes Butt's district, received about $1.4 million in benefits in November, paid to more than 5,700 households.

Linda Williams, the president and CEO of the RISE Foundation in Memphis, said the legislation punishes low-income individuals for a problem that should be addressed through education.

“We’re trying to impose a regulation on people where the general public has the same issue,” she said.

Williams, who worked for the Department of Human Services for 32 years and earned a master’s degree studying nutrition across income levels, said access and availability of healthy foods are a bigger problem, and one that isn’t specific to low-income individuals.

“It’s not really a legislative issue; it’s an educational issue,” she said.

Dr. Manny Sethi, who along with his wife founded Healthy Tennessee, a nonprofit organization seeking to promote preventative health care, agreed that the issue is more about education.

"You can pass laws all day long that you want, but until people understand that they shouldn’t eat three pints of ice cream a day (things won't change)," he said. "I don’t think Capitol Hill telling people what they can eat is the right thing."

Sethi said he believes it would be more effective if government offered tax breaks and incentives to food suppliers to come into areas throughout the state they would not otherwise go to and promote healthier eating.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/nation-now/...soda/386044807

I wonder what will happen if it passes...

From the OP

Since 2004, a number of cities and states have sought to restrict sugary drinks from their SNAP programs, including Maine, Minnesota and New York City under Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg in 2011. But doing so requires permission from the U.S.D.A., and the agency has denied every official request.

Mr. Concannon at the U.S.D.A. said the agency had “intermittent dialogue” with municipalities across the country about prohibiting the purchase of sugary drinks through SNAP. But he said the agency would grant a state or city permission to do so only on the condition that it first conducted “a rigorous pilot study” and offered food stamp recipients the ability to opt out of the soda restrictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Taxpayers should not be buying soda for anyone . It is immoral . These programs are snake oil . Sold to the public that people will suffer and starve without them . It is all bull$#@! .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Taxpayers should not be buying soda for anyone . It is immoral . These programs are snake oil . Sold to the public that people will suffer and starve without them . It is all bull$#@! .
    ^^^^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    This always makes my blood boil when I see nothing but junk food in the cart of the person in front of me and they whip out their SNAP card to pay. And they're a land whale too. And they then run a second transaction for booze and tobacco and pay with cash or another card.

You can't turn off SNAP overnight; there would be riots and more innocents would be harmed. But we can use incrementalism to take this back the other way, down to zero. First, eliminate all liquids save for water and maybe milk. Then eliminate 'junk' foods, high sugar/salt, processed foods. Dial it back to fresh fruits and veggies, meat, maybe rice, pasta and canned goods. Eventually eliminate milk and meat. Never met a fat vegetarian. Then, pare back the actual cash amount. Final step is back to only getting a loaf of bread and a block of government cheese. Then, nothing.

Take maybe five years, trimming staff and duties along the way. Start of year 6, shut off the lights, lock the doors and be done with it.
    I would abolish the USDA completely , giving only minimal notice .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I agree with controlling the food they can consume. Also you will find this funny but buying water is not allowed with snap. Apparently cuss there is tap water.

One problem with that would be the homeless. Rice, pasta, veggies all need to be cooked and can't do that without stove or even microwave. This whole discussion is a trap. Instead of micromanaging social welfare we need to focus more on drawing it down. Focus benefits on the elderly destitute and reduce them everywhere else. Especially necessary is a law that says you LOSE benefits for having additional children rather than gain more benefits. That is the true insanity of the current system. We are encouraging the worst among us to breed.

They buy the cheapest soda or water they can find in cases, walk out to the parking lot, pour it out, then bring the returnables back in for the deposit money and use it to buy drugs. This is the real reason it's the most bought item.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    One problem with that would be the homeless. Rice, pasta, veggies all need to be cooked and can't do that without stove or even microwave. This whole discussion is a trap. Instead of micromanaging social welfare we need to focus more on drawing it down. Focus benefits on the elderly destitute and reduce them everywhere else.
    ^^THIS^^

I CARE NOT IF SOMEONE HAS A CARTON OF SODA- let them eat as they may.

What needs to be taken care of is the system, not adding more rules and regs- very dangerous. Soon everyone will be told what they can or cannot buy/eat etc. It's very close to that already.

The answer is to get the feds out of personal lives and let local communities take care of the poor.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    ^^THIS^^

I CARE NOT IF SOMEONE HAS A CARTON OF SODA- let them eat as they may.

What needs to be taken care of is the system, not adding more rules and regs- very dangerous. Soon everyone will be told what they can or cannot buy/eat etc. It's very close to that already.

The answer is to get the feds out of personal lives and let local communities take care of the poor.
    I agree. There are food banks everywhere and lots of compassionate people. Tough love is needed for this country.

Welfare is slavery. Unfortunately for those who have been on it for so long do not know what freedom really is. If people really got a taste of unbridled liberty this would not continue, generation after generation. Welfare was deliberately designed to keep people enslaved.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I agree. There are food banks everywhere and lots of compassionate people. Tough love is needed for this country.

Welfare is slavery. Unfortunately for those who have been on it for so long do not know what freedom really is. If people really got a taste of unbridled liberty this would not continue, generation after generation. Welfare was deliberately designed to keep people enslaved.
    1000% agree.

It has destroyed black families and was meant to do so.
    There is no spoon.

The whole "business" of feeding the hungry could be done on a voluntary basis if the government didn't find it so lucrative. Every single town I know has a charitable food bank and or soup kitchen. If the feds simply allowed tax write off incentives to food inc. for donated items, if grocers received write offs for logistics, and using foodbank's as the "poverty grocer" this could all be handled without government oversight.

The government is like a crazy uncle.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The whole "business" of feeding the hungry could be done on a voluntary basis if the government didn't find it so lucrative. Every single town I know has a charitable food bank and or soup kitchen. If the feds simply allowed tax write off incentives to food inc. for donated items, if grocers received write offs for logistics, and using foodbank's as the "poverty grocer" this could all be handled without government oversight.
    Yep.

I've worked with many foodbanks- one of the problems is that many big stores are not allowed to give their unsold food items to the foodbanks any more. They have to throw away 1000s of pounds of food, rather than donating it.

We definitely need .gov out of the welfare business.
    There is no spoon.

SNIP Eventually eliminate milk and meat. Never met a fat vegetarian. SNIP
    Um.. hi.. I'm a fat vegetarian.. partially due to undiagnosed medical crap but yeah.. we exist
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Um.. hi.. I'm a fat vegetarian.. partially due to undiagnosed medical crap but yeah.. we exist
    Yep.

And contrary to pop culture, meat products don't make a person fat, carbs do.
    There is no spoon.

1000% agree.

It has destroyed black families and was meant to do so.
    I absolutely agree. Keep them on the dole, they will feel they are entitled to this welfare--instilled a false sense of pride. Then the phony feminist movements came in to teach these women, you don't need a man to help you raise your family, government will help you.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Yep.

exception.. if someone eats a lot of high fat pork and beef that ate mostly grain (GMO corn/soy) it's getting carbs the long way around
    also in that scenario.. those same products will raise blood sugar - I saw it happen
    My husband had the flu a few years back.. first thing he wanted when he could eat was a porterhouse.. his blood sugar went from 91 to 289 on just steak
    it was not grass fed
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Yep.

I've worked with many foodbanks- one of the problems is that many big stores are not allowed to give their unsold food items to the foodbanks any more. They have to throw away 1000s of pounds of food, rather than donating it.

Exactly! No one should ask government for any breaks. because that is when they dictate.

It's a sin the amount of food that is wasted while people are starving.

Yep.

Our locally owned grocery stores donate outdated non-perishables to local charities and have local hog farmers who pick-up outdated bread-n-produce every night.

Wal-Mart and their ilk don't do that....

The report compared SNAP households and non-SNAP households. While those who used food stamps bought slightly more junk food and fewer vegetables, both SNAP and non-SNAP households bought ample amounts of sweetened drinks, candy, ice cream and potato chips. Among non-SNAP households, for example, soft drinks ranked second on the list of food purchases, behind milk.
    Well, there is a difference here, Einstien. Non-SNAP households have what is called "discretionary income" that they may spend on what they want not necessarily that which they need. SNAP should only cover that which is necessary for survival.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Our locally owned grocery stores donate outdated non-perishables to local charities and have local hog farmers who pick-up outdated bread-n-produce every night.

Wal-Mart and their ilk don't do that....
    It all depends where you live and what the government will allow.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Info on Food Stamp (SNAP) benefits: http://www.cbpp.org/research/a-quick...y-and-benefits

Its gross monthly income — that is, its income before any of the program’s deductions are applied — generally must be at or below 130 percent of the poverty line. For a family of three, the poverty line used to calculate SNAP benefits in federal fiscal year 2017 is $1,680 a month. Thus, 130 percent of the poverty line for a three-person family is $2,184 a month, or about $26,200 a year. The poverty level is higher for bigger families and lower for smaller families.[3]

Its net income, or income after deductions are applied, must be at or below the poverty line.

Its assets must fall below certain limits: households without an elderly or disabled member must have assets of $2,250 or less, and households with an elderly or disabled member must have assets of $3,250 or less.
    Table 1 shows the maximum SNAP benefit levels in fiscal year 2017 for households of different sizes. Take as an example a family of three: if that family had no income, it would receive the maximum benefit of $511 per month; if it had $600 in net monthly income, it would receive the maximum benefit ($511) minus 30 percent of its net income (30 percent of $600 is $180), or $331. On average, SNAP households currently receive about $255 a month. The average SNAP benefit per person is about $126 per month, which works out to about $1.40 per person per meal.
    Now if we take that average benefit of $126 a month per person and go by the figure in the OP:

The findings show that the No. 1 purchases by SNAP households are soft drinks, which accounted for 5 percent of the dollars they spent on food.
    That would be $6.30 a month on average per person going to sodas.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-15-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Yep.

Thank you for saying that, professor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Info on Food Stamp (SNAP) benefits: http://www.cbpp.org/research/a-quick...y-and-benefits
    The average SNAP benefit per person is about $126 per month, which works out to about $1.40 per person per meal.
    And that is why they should not be buying sodas.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    They buy the cheapest soda or water they can find in cases, walk out to the parking lot, pour it out, then bring the returnables back in for the deposit money and use it to buy drugs. This is the real reason it's the most bought item.
    Not going to get very high off the deposit on $6.30 of sodas. That is probably less than a dollar. In California, a bottle 24 ounces or less has a five cents deposit- ten cents for larger. A 24 pack of bottled water or soda? $1.20 in deposit.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-15-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast