Thread: Schizophrenia Risk Increases With Cannabis Use

Schizophrenia Risk Increases With Cannabis Use

Marijuana And Mental Health: Schizophrenia Risk Increases With Cannabis Use
    By Samantha Karas - 01/13/17

While a growing number of states have legalized marijuana for medicinal purposes in recent years, new research may contradict the positive aspects of the drug being touted by its advocates. Marijuana has helped with pain but also heightened the risk of schizophrenia in patients, according to a new report published by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine on Thursday.

“There is substantial evidence of a statistical association between cannabis use and the development of schizophrenia or other psychoses, with the highest risk among the most frequent users,” the study’s conclusions for mental health reported.

The study also listed conclusions for any evidence linked to therapeutic effects, cancer, cardio-metabolic risks, respiratory disease, immunity, injury/death, natal exposure, psychosocial, problem cannibal use, abuse of other substances and challenges for conducting cannabis research.

Some of the benefits of cannabis use included: significant evidence for relieving chronic pain in adults, antiemetics in chemotherapy and improving patient-reported multiple sclerosis symptoms. Marijuana could also help with “improving short-term sleep outcomes in individuals with sleep disturbance associated with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic pain and multiple sclerosis,” the report said.
    More: http://www.ibtimes.com/marijuana-men...is-use-2475101
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 01-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hell I don't mind a side of schizoid with my pain relief it can be somewhat entertaining.

my first question, as usual is, who paid for the study?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

And my first question is: does this indicate that pot causes schizophrenia, or that people prone to developing it are more prone to smoke pot, possibly in an attempt to self medicate.?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    And my first question is: does this indicate that pot causes schizophrenia, or that people prone to developing it are more prone to smoke pot, possibly in an attempt to self medicate.?
    Ya, in doing some research I found that they claim ALL drugs including alcohol "cause" schizophrenia.. So these studies don't mention that the legal drug alcohol also "causes" schizophrenia. But more likely is that the initial symptoms of schizophrenia appear earlier than they think, and that these symptoms lead people to want to self-medicate. Then they get the later symptoms which are more intense and more recognizable, they are diagnosed, and suddenly a data point is created where a patient began self-medicating and then went on to be diagnosed with schizophrenia. Their mistaken is that believing that the onset of schizophrenia is when the patient is diagnosed, or when more extreme symptoms begin to occur.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The biggest risk for our mental health is psychiatry; a common cause of schizoprenia is Ritalin that's given to children for the non-existent mental disorder AD(H)D. There is not one psychiatric drug with beneficial effects in the long term.
    Cannabis isn't good, but doesn't cause as many psychiatric and physical problems as psychiatric drugs.
    See the following quote from another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    If children refuse a little too hard to get brainwashed, they “need” psychiatric treatment. In the USA schools are stimulated to sentence kids to AD(H)D by a child find bonus, and additional money for each schoolchild with AD(H)D: http://www.rense.com/general4/addd.htm
    In Massachusetts 60% of the orphans and in Texas between 31% and 42% of the foster children are on psychiatric drugs: http://www.texastribune.org/2013/01/...ed-high-doses/
    Ritalin is similar to amphetamine, a highly addictive hallucinative drug. Because kids get hooked, they could even say that Ritalin is beneficial (so they get their drugs). Quitting Ritalin leads to withdrawal effects, which is used as an argument for Ritalin (look what happens without Ritalin!). Nadine Lambert concludes Ritalin leads to drugs abuse: http://www.berkeley.edu/news/berkele...2/ritalin.html
    It is well known that using amphetamines leads to extreme and aggressive (hyperactive) behaviour; because of Ritalin more people will suffer from attention disorders and hyperactivity. A list of (side) effects of Ritalin – aggression, psychosis, depression, bad results at school, stomach ache, headache, seizures, coma and insomnia: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/...ethsummary.pdf
    The MTA study compared different kind of treatments, including a large group that got no drugs, for 579 children diagnosed with ADHD according to DSM and ran for years. In the first 14 months the hyperactive behaviour of the children with ADHD notably “improved”, but from 3 years on the group on Ritalin was just as hyperactive as the group without (drugs). After 8 years: 70% of the group didn’t show hyperactive symptoms (independent of treatment), so why did they give them drugs in the first place? After 6 years the group that got no drugs showed less: 1) depressions or anxiety disorders (4.3% compared to more than 16.4%) and 2) psychotic or manic disorders (0.9% compared to more than 2.0%). Another conclusion is that the group with ADHD was less successful than a control group. See Molina et al The MTA at 8 Years: … ADHD in a Multisite Study (2009): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...hms-271449.pdf
    Over the years some retired psychologists put their reputation on the line by revealing that ADHD is a prime example of a fictitious disease, for example: Leon Eisenberg (who played a part in inventing ADHD) and Jerome Kagan (of Harvard University). Here an interview with Kagan: http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-847500.html

MANIC/PSYCHOTIC/SCHIZOPHRENIA - ANTIPSYCHOTICS
    Giving millions of children hallucinative drugs like Ritalin is like a time bomb leading to a large increase in psychosis related illnesses (according to the DSM these are also caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain ... using drugs of course creates a chemical imbalance), so now they need antipsychotics (before you know it everybody is on a cocktail of psychiatric drugs).

I agree with the above that schizoid prone people may take it to self medicate the anxiety.

The paranoid aspect may come from the fact that it isn't paranoia. They really are out to get you and throw you in a cage for taking an herb.

The study also listed conclusions for any evidence linked to therapeutic effects, cancer, cardio-metabolic risks, respiratory disease, immunity, injury/death, natal exposure, psychosocial, problem cannibal use, abuse of other substances and challenges for conducting cannabis research.
    A very well written and proof-read article..
    "I am a bird"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I agree with the above that schizoid prone people may take it to self medicate the anxiety.

The paranoid aspect may come from the fact that it isn't paranoia. They really are out to get you and throw you in a cage for taking an herb.
    Well... Nobody ever considers the health impacts from people who fear the government. Especially those who did not harm anyone and those who's only potential crime is not following some words that were once written.

There is a pretty famous case from the Netherlands where a nurse was convicted and sentenced to life in prison because she had apparently killed a bunch of patients. She was convicted based on statistics and experts who said it had to be true. Later she was freed because it was proven there were no murders. IIRC she spend 6 years in jail and during that time had a cerebral infarction from all the stress of being convicted unfairly.

These are the kinds of things that make me really $#@!ing sad because, there is absolutely no $#@!ing reason why we have to treat each other this way. We are the people, lets be nice to each other and lets not accept anything less than that.
    "I am a bird"

Schizophrenia risk also increases with the rise to power.

Schizophrenia Risk Increases With *
    Schizophrenia risk increases with each and every revision of the definition.
    Which is continuously redefined by the same folks who push the "treatments".
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post

with legality and acceptance, the paranoia evaporates.
    It is caused by social forces, and not mental defect.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom