Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin Petersen to run for U.S. Senate in Missouri?

Austin Petersen to run for U.S. Senate in Missouri?

Petersen for Senate 2018: Only Principles Matter

Elias J. Atienza
    January 12, 2017

There is heavy speculation that Austin Petersen might run for Senate in 2018 against incumbent Claire McCaskill (D-MO) in his home state of Missouri. While he has refused to put anything on the table, saying that he will decide on a run in June, it is interesting to see which party he will choose, if he decides to run at all. It will also be interesting to see how the Libertarian and Republican Parties will react to his decision.

For those who argue that he should run under the Libertarian Party, it is because of a belief that the party is the best tool for spreading liberty. Despite a less than stellar performance in the 2016 election, where expectations went from possibly winning the election to not reaching the goal of five percent, the LP is still doing better than ever.

They got ballot access in almost 40 states, and received more votes than anytime in their history. Registration has increased dramatically and as National Party Chairman Nicholas Sarwark explained in an interview with The Libertarian Republic, the party has over half a million registered voters for the first time in their history.

In addition, it would continue the fight against the two main parties that have control over the Congress if Petersen managed to win a Senate race under the LP. It would break duopoly’s stranglehold of American politics. The Republican Party has not managed to lower spending, deregulate, or reform government; they have contributed to these problems and a new voice such as Petersen as a member of the Libertarian Party would be welcomed.

Petersen has received support from libertarian figures such as Larry Sharpe, the second place vice presidential candidate in the LP Convention, to stay within the party. He also received pushback from other figures like Adam Kokesh, who ironically ran as a Republican in New Mexico and lost by over 40 percent, and is gearing up for his own presidential run in 2020.

read more:
    http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/au...t-which-party/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a joke, right?

If it's not, it will be.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

The only reason all these guys run for big offices like this is that they want to gamble and lose, or they don't understand politics. If they wanted to make a difference and actually understood politics they would run for a lower office and work their butts off. Then a couple of them they might win.

Actually come to think of it some of them just want publicity, and you don't get much of that in the races where you can win.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

In addition, it would continue the fight against the two main parties that have control over the Congress if Petersen managed to win a Senate race under the LP.
    99.9% chance that won't happen. If he is serious, he should run GOP, and increase his odds a bit.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 01-12-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

pfft dude wants a MoneyBomb
    if he was serious he would run for Rep
    better chance of winning

Yea, start small. Effect change at the lowest levels first and foremost.
    Through that, you can grow a reputation and then head onto the big pond. This may be a big waste of time, resources, and money.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

no $#@!
    he should run for state actually
    no one has a $#@!ing clue who he is cause he ran for potus in the LP
    $#@! few know who Johnson is

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    The only reason all these guys run for big offices like this is that they want to gamble and lose, or they don't understand politics. If they wanted to make a difference and actually understood politics they would run for a lower office and work their butts off. Then a couple of them they might win.

Actually come to think of it some of them just want publicity, and you don't get much of that in the races where you can win.
    They should start small like Rand Paul. Oh wait Rand Paul became a senator with no political experience.
    #StandWithRand

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    pfft dude wants a MoneyBomb
    if he was serious he would run for Rep
    better chance of winning
    He is considering running as a Republican. I'm not sure I would help with a moneybomb though. I have a hard time seeing him as a serious candidate.
    #StandWithRand

Quote Originally Posted by PowerOfLiberty View Post
    They should start small like Rand Paul. Oh wait Rand Paul became a senator with no political experience.
    Hey, I take it back. If they can raise $7,000,000 like Rand Paul did in 2010 then go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Actually he did have a lot of experience... he watched his dad in Congress up close for dozens of years, and helped him get elected. He also had a brand which he inherited after the '08 campaign which allowed him to raise a ton of money which got him media attention which gave him credibility which allowed him run a good campaign and win.

So no, AP is nothing like Rand.

AP should run for his local city council or county commission first.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

If you think Randal had no political experience, then you don't know anything about his background. just as a small example, did you know that at 21yrs old Randal stood in for his father and debated Phil Gramm when his father was running for Senator -- Ron was in DC for a vote and couldn't make it. How many 21yr olds could/would stand in and debate an experience politician (and reportedly do well)?

Jan2017

He is considering running as a Republican.
    I think it would be a start if we had an "L" in US Congress . . .
    maybe first as a Congressman would be more do-able in the right district facing a really wrong Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    I think it would be a start if we had an "L" in US Congress . . .
    maybe first as a Congressman would be more do-able in the right district facing a really wrong Republican.
    I agree. It would take just the right circumstances to pull it off though. The LP definitely has a better chance to get in the House of Representatives than the Senate.
    #StandWithRand

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    If you think Randal had no political experience, then you don't know anything about his background. just as a small example, did you know that at 21yrs old Randal stood in for his father and debated Phil Gramm when his father was running for Senator -- Ron was in DC for a vote and couldn't make it. How many 21yr olds could/would stand in and debate an experience politician (and reportedly do well)?
    He definitely had the experience to make his outsider campaign possible.
    #StandWithRand

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    AP should run for his local city council or county commission first.
    Well, this is the trouble with the LP. They focus on big and unrealistic ambitions instead of making small gains and working up. If AP ran for senate I would wish him the best, but I wouldn't donate any money to his campaign.
    #StandWithRand

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Hey, I take it back. If they can raise $7,000,000 like Rand Paul did in 2010 then go for it.
    True. I guess AP needs a new daddy.
    #StandWithRand

AP left the LP for the GOP, right?

And no, the LP likely can't win any partisan seats under normal conditions.

Well, this is the trouble with the LP. They focus on big and unrealistic ambitions instead of making small gains and working up. If AP ran for senate I would wish him the best, but I wouldn't donate any money to his campaign.
    Peterson should be running for a MO House seat that is being vacated, that would give him his best chance. Perhaps the Senate announcement is an exploratory trial balloon to first find out where his strength is in the state, then to run there for Rep. If he can win at either level, I do like the idea of a movement person in an elected position near Iowa, as he could later run for President in the Iowa Caucuses as a regional favorite son.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

I like Peterson, but he should really start at a lower level.
    Stop believing stupid things

Can someone contact him and tell him to re-think this?
    He needs some sense knocked into him if he wants to be serious and try to change things.

It'll play out the exact same as anywhere else - he won't get the same air time as the R & D; he won't raise as much money; he'll be cast aside as the crazy guy; he'll end up with maybe 5-6% of the vote, most likely less. And the message will have reached the same ears and no one elses.

Start small, build up. Prove your resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    Can someone contact him and tell him to re-think this?
    He needs some sense knocked into him if he wants to be serious and try to change things.

It'll play out the exact same as anywhere else - he won't get the same air time as the R & D; he won't raise as much money; he'll be cast aside as the crazy guy; he'll end up with maybe 5-6% of the vote, most likely less. And the message will have reached the same ears and no one elses.

Start small, build up. Prove your resume.
    Dude, have you been reading? He wants to enter the Missouri Senate Republican primary.
    #StandWithRand

Dude, have you been reading? He wants to enter the Missouri Senate Republican primary.
    I'm reading bits and pieces here and lots of speculation in this thread. I don't see any hard confirmation that he's running LP or GOP, yet.
    I wasn't necessarily thinking it was for US Senate; it's still a high bar to set and achieve even at the state level. I only wants what's best to advance the message of liberty.
    From your own fingers just a few days ago:

He is considering running as a Republican. I'm not sure I would help with a moneybomb though. I have a hard time seeing him as a serious candidate.

Austin Petersen Running For Senate?

I follow him on twitter and he says he has 6 days to decide whether or not to run for Senate in 2018..... man he would be a definite PLUS. Can you imagine him in there with Rand and Lee kicking ass??

Can we get some support for him on this site??
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Not sure if he's running as a republican ala Rand Paul (which would be wise) or as a Libertarian.... he will be trying to unseat Claire McKaskill..... god be with him on his quest and I will freaking donate and so should all of us here. Austin in the US senate would be the biggest thing to happen to the liberty movement since Rand was elected in Kentucky.

- Diogenes of Sinope

https://twitter.com/AP4Liberty/statu...69775362523138
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Not sure if he's running as a republican ala Rand Paul (which would be wise) or as a Libertarian.... he will be trying to unseat Claire McKaskill..... god be with him on his quest and I will freaking donate and so should all of us here. Austin in the US senate would be the biggest thing to happen to the liberty movement since Rand was elected in Kentucky.
    I get the feeling he will run GOP...

This will be another joke. Sheesh, seriously, when will these people learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    This will be another joke. Sheesh, seriously, when will these people learn?
    Like Dave Brat running in a Primary against Eric Cantor?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast