Thread: 6-year-old orders $160 dollhouse, 4 pounds of cookies with Amazon's Echo Dot

6-year-old orders $160 dollhouse, 4 pounds of cookies with Amazon's Echo Dot

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/6-year-o...cho-dot-alexa/

It was like magic — in 6-year-old Brooke Neitzel’s eyes, anyway.

The little girl from Dallas, Texas, was casually having a conversation with “Alexa,” Amazon’s voice-activated Echo Dot, about her love of dollhouses and sugar cookies one day. And a few days later, both of those items appeared on Neitzel’s doorstep.

But Brooke’s mom, Megan, assured her daughter that those gifts, particularly the KidKraft Sparkle Mansion dollhouse, came at a cost: $160 to be exact.

“I thought to myself, ‘I did not order those,’ and I asked my husband, and he said he did not order them,” Megan told CBS Dallas.

The next morning, when Megan glanced at the blinking Echo Dot sitting on the table, something clicked. She asked her daughter where the mysterious items came from, and sure enough, Brooke admitted she talked to Alexa about them.

Megan then double-checked her Amazon app, which she uses to monitor her kids’ interactions with the Echo Dot, and uncovered Brooke’s exact conversation with the gadget.

“Can you play dollhouse with me and get me a dollhouse?” Brooke asked the tool, according to CBS Dallas. After confirming the order, Brooke told Alexa, “I love you so much!”

After reading the conversation, Megan had to laugh, admitting that this was a good reminder to activate parental controls. To ensure something like this doesn’t happen again, Megan set a four-digit code on the device for purchases, and went over some ground rules with the kids on how to properly use the item.

This isn’t the first time a child has duped their parents by ordering gifts through the Amazon app. In December, a mom from Arkansas shared a story about her daughter using her thumb while she was sleeping to unlock her phone to order 13 Pokemon gifts for herself. The unsolicited shopping spree reportedly cost her $250 in Pokemon presents.

Megan hopes this was just a one-time occurrence and in the future her daughter will stick to knock-knock jokes and asking Alexa interesting questions rather than filling up a virtual shopping cart.
    They donated the dollhouse and cookies to a local charity.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-09-2017 at 03:36 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Four pounds of cookies . I guess she already had some ice cream . I like a kid with some initiative .
    Do something Danke

Brings new meaning to imaginary friend.

Of course I see a future where Alexa listens to much more than the children.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Brings new meaning to imaginary friend.

Of course I see a future where Alexa listens to much more than the children.
    Alexa is always listening, learning your habits...pretty soon she'll be programmed to identify signs of domestic abuse and report you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Alexa thinks Jenny has eaten too much bacon.

Knock, Knock.

What's so great about alexa anyway? Ordering from amazon takes just a few clicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Alexa is always listening, learning your habits...pretty soon she'll be programmed to identify signs of domestic abuse and report you.
    Yikes. I'm guessing there won't be an "alternative lifestyle friendly" version eh?

I see Alexa dragging cops into all kinds of strange parties in California...

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    What's so great about alexa anyway? Ordering from amazon takes just a few clicks.
    Well , it would be great if I was 6 yrs old and had no monies
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Ohhh boy. "I have a credit authorization declined for an.... orbit capable rocket ship? Son, get in here!"

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Hell yeah!!! I'd have ordered the deluxe family with a baby that poops to go with my dollhouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

1-Click - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Click

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    It's easy enough to unplug it before you start beating her
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Well, it takes multiple clicks to find the item to order or pull it up in purchase history/cart. *shrugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Well, it takes multiple clicks to find the item to order or pull it up in purchase history/cart. *shrugs*
    Well maybe you shouldn't have so many privacy settings turned on in your browser.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

And the assenholes line up and pay good money for this "service".

Nothing like having the slaves pay for and affix their own chains.

Fail, the future is.