Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roseville man criticizes officer who gave him ticket for warming up car in own driveway

Roseville man criticizes officer who gave him ticket for warming up car in own driveway

Roseville man criticizes officer who gave him ticket for warming up car in own driveway

ROSEVILLE, Mich. - A Roseville man took to Facebook to insult an officer who gave him a ticket for warming up his car in his own driveway.

"Every person warms up their car," Nick Taylor said. "We live in Michigan!"

Roseville police phones have been lighting up with calls from people who are furious that Taylor was given a ticket for warming up his car.

"I was furious when I saw it," Taylor said.

Taylor said he started his car Tuesday morning to warm it up and went inside for 5 minutes. When he went back outside, he had received a ticket that said "motor vehicle unattended."

"Vehicle parked in drive with keys in ignition, motor running -- no one around," the Roseville officer wrote on the ticket.

The officer didn't knock on the door to inform Taylor of the problem.

"That would have been respectful," Taylor said. "I had no clue that this was a law, an ordinance."

Police said the key component of the case is whether the key is in the car. Using a remote starter is OK because the key isn't in the car. If the key is in the car, it's a state and local violation, because somebody could take off in the car.

"You're putting the public at risk," Roseville police Chief James Berlin said. "This is purely a public safety issue."

Taylor posted a picture of the ticket on his Facebook page and called the officer an insulting name. It's been shared more than 6,000 times and there are more than 5,000 comments.

Berlin said he's not tearing up the ticket. He's angry about the name calling.

"You see the disparaging comments he made about my officer?" Berlin said. "Drop dead."

Taylor said he didn't mean to call the officer a name, but he doesn't want the ticket.

"Unattended car?" Taylor said. "I’ve done this every day for seven years. Every person warms up their car. We live in Michigan."

Taylor is scheduled to appear in court later this month.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/r...n-own-driveway
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Vehicle parked in drive with keys in ignition, motor running -- no one around," the Roseville officer wrote on the ticket.
    Who in their right mind would leave their car "parked in drive"? What the heck does that even mean? Was it in park, or was it in drive? It can't possibly be parked while in drive.

Edit: Perhaps the officer was trying to indicate the vehicle was parked in the driveway. In any case, there should be no law against letting your engine run in your own driveway. Sometimes people have vehicles that need to be started every so often so the battery stays charged. It sure would be a pain in the butt to have to drive a vehicle around, in order to maintain the battery.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 01-08-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Three crimes a day.

The full weight of mockery and embarrassment should befall this piss ant officer and his entire police department.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Three crimes a day.
    Yup...

Taylor said. "I had no clue that this was a law, an ordinance."
    He'd be surprised what else he has "no clue" of.

"You see the disparaging comments he made about my officer?" Berlin said. "Drop dead."
    Keep it up Chief. It appears many citizens are getting to feel the same way about your jack-booted thugs.

Is there no subdouchery to which police will not stoop?

Is that a serious question?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Must not had his quota for the month. Revenue whores.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

No. Serious answer.

I warmed up Mr Animal's car this morning.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Sick bastard. Any decent human would have at least knocked on his door, said "hey you left your vehicle running with the keys in it, I know it's cold as balls out here, but technically it's a violation because someone could steal your car. You should get the FOB/clicker off the keychain and lock the doors when you do it or look into getting keyless starter. I hope you have a nice day, stay warm!"
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I feel much safer knowing that this citizen has been educated to not further engage in this incorrect and dangerous behavior.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I feel much safer knowing that this citizen has been educated to not further engage in this incorrect and dangerous behavior.
    Just think of how bad your life would be if his car got stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Sick bastard. Any decent human would have at least knocked on his door, said "hey you left your vehicle running with the keys in it, I know it's cold as balls out here, but technically it's a violation because someone could steal your car. You should get the FOB/clicker off the keychain and lock the doors when you do it or look into getting keyless starter. I hope you have a nice day, stay warm!"
    There's no revenue in that approach.

I am pretty sure if his car was stolen and later recovered he would have to pay a fee to get it back. Even if his keys were not in it.

What about that television show bait cars or whatever where they purposely leave schite in plain sight for people to steal then arrest them?

So is it against the law to leave the door to your home unlocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    In some places I'm sure it is.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't see a problem with what happened. Everything worked exactly as it's supposed to.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

LOL @ this making national news!

One of the local high ranking GOP members is a lawyer, and he said the officer cited the wrong codes and statues on the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    LOL @ this making national news!

One of the local high ranking GOP members is a lawyer, and he said the officer cited the wrong codes and statues on the ticket.
    Did he cite this statue?

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Did he cite this statue?

I meant statute, silly boy!!!

I would never say a word about that ticket to anyone . I would personally find this fine young person who is suddenly about to have a long run of very bad luck .
    Do something Danke

Coming up next: man cited for not wearing a hardhat in violation of the law that says he must, just in case a 500# ACME anvil falls mysteriously from the heavens, bonking him on the head. Such injuries cost "government" trillions per day. Hardhats save dollars!
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

If you leave it in drive, yes.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

I wonder if the cop left his car running when he got out to put the ticket on the guy's car?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    If you leave it in drive, yes.
    Even if I set the parking brake?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    He'd be surprised what else he has "no clue" of.
    But he'll be the first one to tell you:

"Oh I don't care about government spying on me, I'm doing nothing wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I don't see a problem with what happened. Everything worked exactly as it's supposed to.
    I see a HUUUUUGE problem with this BECAUSE everything worked the way it is supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

Acts of douchery, subdouchery, and superdouchery are all lamentable.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I wonder if the cop left his car running when he got out to put the ticket on the guy's car?
    They should request a copy of the dash cam footage.

This guy got off so easy.

The cop probably stopped the would-be theft by being there...although he seems to have driven off before the owner came back (thanks coward) so maybe he was lucky it wasn't stolen along with the ticket on the windshield and he would have been out a car and had a ticket to pay; how fortunate.

ONLY $125 and he got the grim reaper to leave AND he got to keep his dog, ALIVE!

Protected and served!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast