Thread: Justin Amash ‘not sure what to expect’ with Trump, details views for district

Justin Amash ‘not sure what to expect’ with Trump, details views for district

Amash ‘not sure what to expect’ with Trump, details views of helping out his district

25 December 2016
    by Nick Manes

If you approach Republican U.S. Rep. Justin Amash with requests for favors for projects in Michigan’s Third Congressional District, he wants you to know that you’re likely wasting your time. As a staunch supporter of limited government and defender of civil liberties begins his fourth term in the U.S. House of Representatives, Amash is more than happy with the economic growth happening in the district he represents. But that doesn’t mean he’s about to start earmarking federal dollars or doing one-off favors for the area’s business community. In an exclusive interview with MiBiz, Amash said his job is to defend the Constitution and fight for liberty for all citizens, a position he acknowledges could put him at odds with fellow Republicans and President-elect Donald Trump.

A criticism about you that we’ve heard from local executives is that they expect their Congressman to help with regulatory issues or in earmarking federal dollars for local projects, but given your positions, they’re better off going to neighboring districts for help. Do you think the business community here has misconceptions about you?

I’m sure some people misconstrue what I stand for. But the bottom line is I represent the entire district. I represent every person in the district. I represent Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Independents. Greens, too. My job is not to hand out favors to people who have lobbyists. My job is to represent everyone fairly, including businesses and business owners, but not to give any one person or group an advantage under the law.

More:
    https://mibiz.com/item/24311-amash-%...t-his-district

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great statement.

This is the kind of person this website needs to be supporting.

The media should have some interactive map of the districts in the midwest, very large factories,etc. to show who's getting kickbacks & what the incentive is.

Like Amash might only have a few garment districts where he is.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.