Thread: Maidsafe encrypted internet beta is up! Lets test it!

Maidsafe encrypted internet beta is up! Lets test it!

I downloaded the app and installed it with a "blog" service that I don't have properly running yet. If others here are interested in exploring what we can do with this new platform lets use this thread to report progress. I've just started so there's not much progress to report. I'm not even sure how to configure my new blog yet. Maybe I can simply copy all the files from my old blog??

I'm excited because this platform promises strong encryption and online storage with redundancy. It's been several years in development and these things never proceed fast enough but at least they seem to have a foundation now. If they can get some messaging service that is completely anonymous and secure this would be a great start.
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hey. Thanks for posting this. I don't know why we keep just talking about privacy but never actually doing anything about it. So....where do I sign up?

Other privacy platforms are:

• WhatsApp (Encrypted calls and text)
    • Redphone (Encrypted calls)
    • Cryptocat (Encrypted chat)
    • Mega.co.nz (Encrypted file sharing and chat)

Lot's more. That's just what's on the top of my head.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Oh yeah... it's maidsafe.org

I already took v4vendetta for my public profile - Love that movie!

THIS ONE

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Oh yeah... it's maidsafe.org

I already took v4vendetta for my public profile - Love that movie!
    That website sucks balls. If I had something to hide - which I don't - I definitely wouldn't be able to figure out what the $#@! that site is supposed to be
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Hey. Thanks for posting this. I don't know why we keep just talking about privacy but never actually doing anything about it. So....where do I sign up?

Other privacy platforms are:

• WhatsApp (Encrypted calls and text)
    • Redphone (Encrypted calls)
    • Cryptocat (Encrypted chat)
    • Mega.co.nz (Encrypted file sharing and chat)

Lot's more. That's just what's on the top of my head.
    Wire
    https://wire.com/?hl=en
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    That website sucks balls. If I had something to hide - which I don't - I definitely wouldn't be able to figure out what the $#@! that site is supposed to be
    It's definitely not for the beginner but if you first download and run the launcher then download and run the demo app you will at least be up and running. There will be more "apps" in the future as open source programmers jump on the bandwagon and write them. All the apps will run on the launcher which is the encrypted backbone that all apps run on. In this manner all the info is default encrypted and only data that you define as "public" will be visible to the public. I'm sure there will be chat apps and video apps coming soon...

THIS ONE

hi, how i do that?

It's definitely not for the beginner but if you first download and run the launcher then download and run the demo app you will at least be up and running. There will be more "apps" in the future as open source programmers jump on the bandwagon and write them. All the apps will run on the launcher which is the encrypted backbone that all apps run on. In this manner all the info is default encrypted and only data that you define as "public" will be visible to the public. I'm sure there will be chat apps and video apps coming soon...
    Holy crap, how is that possible?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Security through obscurity.

Seriously though, the website owners picked the wrong landing page. It takes you straight to forum topics instead of to a "Welcome page" that explains what's going on. This explains everything.

https://safenetforum.org/t/welcome-t...etwork-forum/6

I love you bro, but you are not a good evangelist for your idea. Don't say "This is not for the beginner". Say "Beginners should begin here". As in.....

https://safenetforum.org/c/beginners

Quote Originally Posted by RosalieCancun View Post
    hi, how i do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Holy crap, how is that possible?
    They've basically created a new encrypted transport layer sort of like the Freenet project.

See: https://wiki.freenetproject.org/Transport_Layer

If you create your own transport layer you can put all sorts of different kinds of apps on top of it. And the end of the day every transaction in a network application works something like this:

get some data--->send it somewhere---->maybe store it for a while--->maybe do some manipulation to it---->send it somewhere else---->display it to someone

TCP, which runs the internet as you know it, chops up the data and sends multiple directions in the hopes that it gets to where it's supposed to and most of the time that's what happens. Safenet, Freenet, Gnutella and others do the same thing only with encryption and privacy built it.

Better explanations:

What I really like about it is the Safecoin concept. MaidSafe/Safenet depends on idle computers donating storage and computing power to work. It's kind of like SETI at home only you get something out of it rather than the "feel good" notion that you're helping to find aliens. Freenet works the same way, but with Safecoin you actually get paid for it! Sweet! Imagine Bitcoin mining but without having to build a specialized "mining rig" computer. Hell, a donor computer that some school is throwing away will probably work as long as you can stick a big enough hard drive in it.

So here's what this is about in bullet form.

• A new (7 years old actually) alternative Internet (darknet) that is fully distributed and encrypted.
    • Everyone on the network allocates some hard disk space for the network.
    • Data gets sliced, encrypted and stored across these millions (billions? zillions?) of hard drives around the world.
    • If someone steals your computer, the data that's on the MaidSafe allocated portion will be completely unreadable slices of encrypted files and your data might not even be there.
    • If someone steals your computer, your data is still backed up around the world.
    • If someone wants to steal your data from the cloud they can never know which data center to target because your data isn't stored in a data center.
    • People way smarter than you or me are right now writing all sorts of apps to run on top of this such as chat, forums, video streaming, games etc. (Well....I'll probably be able to figure out how to right apps for this if I dedicate about 6 months to it.)
    • You can get paid for your idle computer time. (If nothing else, cash in your Safecoins to pay for your broadband.)
    • The code has been released open source so people can independently check to make sure there are no nefarious NSA backdoors.

So there's the overview. It's the best thing since sliced bread data.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Security through obscurity.

Seriously though, the website owners picked the wrong landing page. It takes you straight to forum topics instead of to a "Welcome page" that explains what's going on. This explains everything.

I love you bro, but you are not a good evangelist for your idea. Don't say "This is not for the beginner". Say "Beginners should begin here". As in.....

https://safenetforum.org/c/beginners

They've basically created a new encrypted transport layer sort of like the Freenet project.

See: https://wiki.freenetproject.org/Transport_Layer

If you create your own transport layer you can put all sorts of different kinds of apps on top of it. And the end of the day every transaction in a network application works something like this:

get some data--->send it somewhere---->maybe store it for a while--->maybe do some manipulation to it---->send it somewhere else---->display it to someone

TCP, which runs the internet as you know it, chops up the data and sends multiple directions in the hopes that it gets to where it's supposed to and most of the time that's what happens. Safenet, Freenet, Gnutella and others do the same thing only with encryption and privacy built it.

Better explanations:

What I really like about it is the Safecoin concept. MaidSafe/Safenet depends on idle computers donating storage and computing power to work. It's kind of like SETI at home only you get something out of it rather than the "feel good" notion that you're helping to find aliens. Freenet works the same way, but with Safecoin you actually get paid for it! Sweet! Imagine Bitcoin mining but without having to build a specialized "mining rig" computer. Hell, a donor computer that some school is throwing away will probably work as long as you can stick a big enough hard drive in it.

So here's what this is about in bullet form.

• A new (7 years old actually) alternative Internet (darknet) that is fully distributed and encrypted.
    • Everyone on the network allocates some hard disk space for the network.
    • Data gets sliced, encrypted and stored across these millions (billions? zillions?) of hard drives around the world.
    • If someone steals your computer, the data that's on the MaidSafe allocated portion will be completely unreadable slices of encrypted files and your data might not even be there.
    • If someone steals your computer, your data is still backed up around the world.
    • If someone wants to steal your data from the cloud they can never know which data center to target because your data isn't stored in a data center.
    • People way smarter than you or me are right now writing all sorts of apps to run on top of this such as chat, forums, video streaming, games etc. (Well....I'll probably be able to figure out how to right apps for this if I dedicate about 6 months to it.)
    • You can get paid for your idle computer time. (If nothing else, cash in your Safecoins to pay for your broadband.)
    • The code has been released open source so people can independently check to make sure there are no nefarious NSA backdoors.

So there's the overview. It's the best thing since sliced bread data.
    Thank you for explaining this way better than I could. This is why I'm posting this here to get others smarter than me to help us all to get the privacy we need. There is one other great point about this platform... It runs over existing internet protocols that cannot be blocked or restricted from this platform short of shutting down the internet entirely...

THIS ONE

Very cool, just a response so I can find this again later... Going to go dig up an old computer.
    “…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”

The Brokenness of MaidSafe

http://www.contravex.com/2014/04/20/...s-of-maidsafe/

2014-04-20

Sometimes, you gotta feel for the idealists in this space. Their relentless optimism is matched only by their blind naivety. On one hand, you understand where they’re coming from,i and on the other hand, you want to crack some eggsii and set them straight.

As is typical of logic derived from the “sharing economy,”iii MaidSafe aims to monetize excess hard drive and CPU capacity and decentralize encrypted storage. To fund this, the MaidSafe Foundation is issuing SafeCoin on the Mastercoin protocol, which is itself built on top of the Bitcoin protocol.iv While it’s understandable why someone would want to monetize some kinds of unused capacity, why this should be applied to your hard drive is beyond me. For one, if a person is looking for convenient and “trusted” cloud storage, they’re going to go with Google Drive and Dropbox every time. Maybe Mega. Maybe. Secondly, people who prioritize security over convenience aren’t going to trust a bunch of non-WoT coders to be even minimally competent with their data any more they’re going to trust the guy at the mall who claims to be a wallet inspector. Digital security, like physical security, means trusting as few people as possible and selecting those people very, very carefully. On the digital side, it also means using old hardware and software instead of shiny new stuff.

Still, let’s have some fun by dropping in on a Google Groups conversation v between MaidSafe “developers” Nick Lambert, David Irvine, a few of their sockpuppets, and potential “investor” John Kypri.

John: I don’t see why your accepting them when you could just accept Bitcoin on it’s own with a much higher trading volume, It’s unfair on investors that our stakes will be diluted by stakes bought with mastercoin which has yet to come to market let alone find it’s true value.

DavidT: mastercoin is needed to conduct any business using the Mastercoin protocol, so you should feel lucky already that some “third party” (with big pocket of msc, and of course we all know who that is) is willing to make the process of converting btc –>msc —>maidsafecoin seemlessly.

Ya, don’t complain! Feel lucky! At least until we can find a way to extract a few more bucks from you…

John: Most people having hung on to mastercoins they can’t sell due to low volume/tanking the price will be pouring money into this opportunity. I just can’t see how its mutually beneficial or rational.
    DavidT: because the protocol is going under heavy development, once people realise that they need msc to conduct business using the protocol, trading volume will go up, and the low volume can also be partly explained by the fact that “smart contract” ,being the 2nd working feature of the protocol, is only officially live on 22nd of this month.

“Trading volume will go up.” Didn’t we talk about using the word “will” before? That’s right, we did. Oh, and of course smart contracts.

John: You are clearly giving them enough by pouring $10m usd into their early-days startup without buying up most of their pre-mined currency, alleviating any risk from them and taking it on board yourselves.
    DavidT: we dont call it “pre-mined”, dont you realise that the cryptocurrency world is taking a transition into non-mining phase?, because mining is a waste of electricity. thats too much a price being paid for security.

God, “pre-mined?” Why you gotta be such a potty mouth? If I was your mother I’d wash your mouth out with soap!

John: Since the initial burn period Mastercoin has given a hefty and pretty consistent loss to “investors”, I’m concerned as a prospective investor of Safecoin we’ll be taking on this legacy.
    DavidT: mastercoin “creation” didnt involve any burning, i think u mistake it for Counterparty (XCP).

Jeez, more of the dumb questions from Mr. Dummypants. Why do I even bother? Oh right, the money…

John: While Mastercoin has failed to produce a finished product in 8 months of development, it’s being overtaken by other bitcoin 2.0 start-ups in what’s becoming a very competitive space.
    DavidT: a working decentralised exchange went live more than a month ago. it is more usable than counterparty i would concede, at least the order book didnt get stuffed up ..

Where does an investor/giver-of-free-monies get off thinking that a dilapidated decentralized exchange is insufficient proof? Looks like John is starting to notice a pattern with the 2.0 “start-ups.”

John: I don’t see what incentive is left for the Mastercoin Dev’s to keep working once they’ve “exchanged” with you especially given the issues with the lead bitcoin devs trying to block them off what they see as malicious use/spamming of the blockchain.
    DavidT: mastercoin devs have back up plans. i believe it’s like a chasing game, bitcoin core devs and parasite protocols devs chase each other in circle.

We have plans! And a Foundation!vi Not to worry!

John: Perhaps I’m overreacting would be interest to hear other peoples views on how this makes business sense?
    DavidT: i guess yes you are making a fuzz unnecessarily. and asking nicely and calmly or doing more research may get you more info i reckon.
    Ya John, it’s all in your head! You just need a glass of wine and a comfy bed and you’ll be right as rain.

John: Especially from the Safe team and any of these large investors that might be reading.
    DavidT: define “large” .

Ya, we those “groups” and “individuals” would like to stay anonymous. So stop asking about them. Now.

Later, and rightly, John continued:

I’ve got a strong gut feeling like theirs some really seedy business going on here to cash out a serious volume of Mastercoin or your business has been manipulated/is naive about whats going on.

Then Irvine chimed in:

I figure MSC will increase in value as it finds a use, other will not and that is fine. We do need such a market to figure where value lies and none of us really know in advance. I hear you and your comments and that is fine. Others will think differently and that is also OK, I do appreciate you are trying to look out for the community here and thanks for that.

Of course we don’t need a market to determine where value lies, we can use our feelings! Oh, and the community. Always rely on and protect the community.

I should have added, we did this to ensure the foundation did not hold cash as that would create accounting issues. If it holds the tokens then it’s up to the recipients to do cash conversions and pay the relevant tax etc. That way the foundation can act as a separate entity with charitable models in place and not be subject to any accounting issues that would arise from fiat transfers and holdings (Scottish Charity law is extremely tough and rightly so). This would not have been fair on the trustees there and would mean an extra layer of bureaucracy for them.

Oooh “accounting issues.” Sounds complex. Scary even. Ok, that’s all I can take…

That MaidSafe is one of the very few ways for people to get their useless Mastercoins out of that pre-mined hell hole, it’s sure to attract more attention before imploding, despite Safecoins being destined to be just as useless. That the MaidSafe idea itself is so horribly broken is almost besides the point compared to its breathtakingly malicious implementation. This Safe is badly broken.

Lest we forget that there’s Bitcoin and there’s Bitcoin, so let’s take the time to understand it before we run on to the next thing.

Our future selves will thank us for it.

___ ___ ___

That is, more money than time, leading to frivolous “investments” while foregoing due diligence. More time than money, on the other hand, lead to such culinary wonders as curries and perogies. [↩]

Charlie: Look, the girl, she wears a Lance Armstrong bracelet, OK? So I tell you I have cancer, right? Then you’re gonna tell her, she’s going to feel sorry for me, we’re going to start dating, and that’s the way the lie works!
    Dennis: That’s a horrible thing to do!
    Charlie: Well, I’m a bad guy then!
    Dennis: You are a bad guy! You lied to us!
    Charlie: All right look at this, sometimes you’ve got to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.
    Dennis: You’ve got to crack a couple eggs to make an omelet?
    Charlie: Yeah, you gotta crack an egg.
    Dennis: So you’re throwing down life lessons now?
    Charlie: I’m throwing down eggs!
    Dennis: Class is in session, the teacher’s teaching class now!
    Charlie: I’m cracking eggs of wisdom!
    From It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Season 1, Episode 4: Charlie Has Cancer. [↩]

The “sharing economy”, as near as I can tell, appears to be a euphemism for 21st century feudal copyhold, wherein proles never own anything. This isn’t a bad thing at all and is in many ways superior to the consumerist socialism currently employed. More renting/sharing = less buying = less environmental degradation. The downside of the “sharing economy,” at least in the short term, is that it does nothing to address the sense of entitlement of material well-being and it reduces the sense of ownership and the skills needed to function in the world. Why fix your squeaky bicycle brakes when you’re only renting it? Why understand how anything works when you can make it someone else’s problem? Perhaps this will be remedied over time. [↩]

Bitcoin 2.0 styles! [↩]

GG is where exactly zero serious development talk happens. Devlopment is on IRC. Scamming, apparently, is on GG. [↩]

David Irvine: “The funds raised will go to the [MaidSafe] foundation. Some used to fund core dev for three years, some to seed the network some to create dev pods. BitAngels loan MSC to make this happen (great for them to do this)”…”The foundation et all is explained in the papers and the site and in hundreds of posts. Why do you think MaidSafe gets all the funds you have read the papers (btw if it did I imagine nearly nobody would have an issue with that, MaidSafe have went way past a respectable stance here)? MaidSafe gets none of the funding directly and there are no founders shares, core dev will get funded for three years (MaidSafe) though. I think this is explained and you seem to be saying you understand that part.” Irvine’s tone is classic scammer $#@!: making people feel stupid for not investing. Making people feel stupid for investing is quite a different story. That’s just education. [↩]

I would like to point out that maidsafe is objectively a scam.
    Operation of the maidsafe system as advertised relies on a number of provably impossible technologies, like purely algorithmic proof-of-identity.
    They gave a presentation at a recent Bitcoin conference in DC. I asked a few basic questions about how they planned to do certain things critical to maidsafe's operation (that no one knows how to do, and many think are impossible), and their answers were so obscenely stupid that anyone in the room with relevant technical knowledge was laughing.
    Example: "How do you plan to prevent bots from gaming the data transfer payment system?" The answer was something like "Oh, it's way too hard to make a bot. There are too many steps."
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8080736

These questions seem to be on the coin side of maidsafe. I certainly can't address these concerns and I don't know if the writers are even making points worth considering.

My attraction to maidsafe is the encrypted network and disbursed cloud storage. I really don't see the validity to the argument that you are "trusting" your data to a bunch of bumpkins with old computer equipment since the "data" you would store on bubba's machine would only be a tiny piece of your data that has already been encrypted and other copies of the same data stored in other machines so even if bubba's machine were to go offline or die your data is still safe on some other machine...

THIS ONE

Maybe this will help? It explains TCP/IP.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://www.contravex.com/2014/04/20/...s-of-maidsafe/
    2014-04-20

Sometimes, you gotta feel for the idealists in this space. Their relentless optimism is matched only by their blind naivety. On one hand, you understand where they’re coming from,i and on the other hand, you want to crack some eggsii and set them straight.

As is typical of logic derived from the “sharing economy,”iii MaidSafe aims to monetize excess hard drive and CPU capacity and decentralize encrypted storage. To fund this, the MaidSafe Foundation is issuing SafeCoin on the Mastercoin protocol, which is itself built on top of the Bitcoin protocol.iv While it’s understandable why someone would want to monetize some kinds of unused capacity, why this should be applied to your hard drive is beyond me. For one, if a person is looking for convenient and “trusted” cloud storage, they’re going to go with Google Drive and Dropbox every time. Maybe Mega. Maybe. Secondly, people who prioritize security over convenience aren’t going to trust a bunch of non-WoT coders to be even minimally competent with their data any more they’re going to trust the guy at the mall who claims to be a wallet inspector. Digital security, like physical security, means trusting as few people as possible and selecting those people very, very carefully. On the digital side, it also means using old hardware and software instead of shiny new stuff.
    I use Google, Dropbox and Mega and Maidsafe is interesting to me. Google and Dropbox are not encrypted. All three have limited storage. Mega has a pretty good API for building all sorts of apps but Google and Dropbox API's bite. As for not trusting "non-WoT coders" (whatever the hell that means), neither Google nor Dropbox nor Mega are open source which means you are having to trust some corporation that there code no NSA backdoors.

These questions seem to be on the coin side of maidsafe. I certainly can't address these concerns and I don't know if the writers are even making points worth considering.

My attraction to maidsafe is the encrypted network and disbursed cloud storage. I really don't see the validity to the argument that you are "trusting" your data to a bunch of bumpkins with old computer equipment since the "data" you would store on bubba's machine would only be a tiny piece of your data that has already been encrypted and other copies of the same data stored in other machines so even if bubba's machine were to go offline or die your data is still safe on some other machine...
    I've been working on a similar system, decentralized shared resources but slightly different scope. The reason they introduce coin is apparently to incentivize sharing; I'm not using coin for mine, but there does need to be a controlled way to track resource usage, or there will be integrity and reliability issues down the road. What they *should* be saying is in non-failure cases (less than a certain number of nodes go offline), their tracking system can solve the Byzantine Generals Problem, which is something a blockchain can do. I am looking at implementing a blockchain (but not a coin), but I'm not sure it will be fast enough. Also looking at domain separation like you might see in a OS- kernel space and user space; the tracking system would run in kernel space, along with the memory manager, but the challenge is to decentralize this.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I use Google, Dropbox and Mega and Maidsafe is interesting to me. Google and Dropbox are not encrypted. All three have limited storage. Mega has a pretty good API for building all sorts of apps but Google and Dropbox API's bite. As for not trusting "non-WoT coders" (whatever the hell that means), neither Google nor Dropbox nor Mega are open source which means you are having to trust some corporation that there code no NSA backdoors.
    SpiderOak also does encrypted cloud storage, group chat, file sharing, password management. They don't store keys, so your data is encrypted until it hits your machine and once it leaves your machine.

https://spideroak.com/
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I've been working on a similar system, decentralized shared resources but slightly different scope. The reason they introduce coin is apparently to incentivize sharing; I'm not using coin for mine, but there does need to be a controlled way to track resource usage, or there will be integrity and reliability issues down the road. What they *should* be saying is in non-failure cases (less than a certain number of nodes go offline), their tracking system can solve the Byzantine Generals Problem, which is something a blockchain can do. I am looking at implementing a blockchain (but not a coin), but I'm not sure it will be fast enough. Also looking at domain separation like you might see in a OS- kernel space and user space; the tracking system would run in kernel space, along with the memory manager, but the challenge is to decentralize this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    SpiderOak also does encrypted cloud storage, group chat, file sharing, password management. They don't store keys, so your data is encrypted until it hits your machine and once it leaves your machine.

https://spideroak.com/
    Is SpiderOak the system you're working on or is it just another system you are familiar with? I say the more the merrier.

Is SpiderOak the system you're working on or is it just another system you are familiar with? I say the more the merrier.
    No, SpiderOak has been around a while, I switched from Dropbox back when they got hacked the first time. SpiderOak has recently expanded into different types of services.

I downloaded the app and installed it with a "blog" service that I don't have properly running yet. If others here are interested in exploring what we can do with this new platform lets use this thread to report progress. I've just started so there's not much progress to report. I'm not even sure how to configure my new blog yet. Maybe I can simply copy all the files from my old blog??

I'm excited because this platform promises strong encryption and online storage with redundancy. It's been several years in development and these things never proceed fast enough but at least they seem to have a foundation now. If they can get some messaging service that is completely anonymous and secure this would be a great start.
    Well, as an old designer of network controllers, I will tell you flat out that there are no "safe" platforms. ANYTHING can be hacked. Anything.

Therefore, if you want something private, keep it that way. Anything you put on the net becomes public, no matter how much encryption you wrap it in.

Carry on.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Well, as an old designer of network controllers, I will tell you flat out that there are no "safe" platforms. ANYTHING can be hacked. Anything.
    focus
    Therefore, if you want something private, keep it that way. Anything you put on the net becomes public, no matter how much encryption you wrap it in.

Carry on.
    The NSA's computing power would allow it either listen to everyone's unencrypted data or to focus in and decrypt the data of a few people but not to decrypt everyone's data all the time especially if people used different and ever changing encryption algorithms. Encryption is like a digital 2nd amendment. One person with a gun can't slow down tyranny at all. But millions of people with guns....

Thanks for sharing! I watched a few interviews with the developers yesterday and they seemed like they really believe in what they are doing. From reading on their forums it sounds like they have ran into some problems, which fixing has resulted in more problems. But at the same time it sounds like they are expecting to have the bugs quashed soon and then they will start testing out home vaults. I'm definitely going to give some space on my less used laptop when they get to that point and see how fast it gets filled up and how much it gets accessed and maybe dedicate a PC to it if there is not a glut of capacity in the system.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://safenetforum.org/t/maidsafe-...-19-2017/12248

MaidSafe Dev Update – January 19, 2017

First, here's an update on the status of the Alpha 110 network. As most of you know, it has been running nonstop since August 12, 201610, the date we released it. It's been very stable over the last few months. It's only a few days ago that we started noticing issues with it, such as the inability to login to some accounts, and to access some .safenet websites that had been previously created. The alpha network still works fine (e.g. you can create a new account and upload a new .safenet website), but you probably won't be able to access accounts and websites created before last week.

@AndreasF explained what happened in this post:

Yes, several virtual servers on which the alpha nodes were running had shut down. We knew that this could potentially cause data loss (which is why we didn't allow users to run vaults in that network), and that is what happened, unfortunately. We restarted the nodes on the rebooted servers and the network structure seems to be fine again. We'll keep the alpha network running for now, but we can't restore the lost data.

We are planning to implement ways to even completely restart a network and republish the data it had, and once that is in place, we will be able to make the content survive such failures, and even persist it between different alpha networks.
    Short-term roadmap

We're currently working on getting Test 12 ready. This will allow users to run vaults from home. This test won't contain the new client API (with mutable data). It's purely about the features related to the routing update (disjoint sections and resource proof). If this test is successful, we will move right to Alpha 2. If Test 12 shows issues, we'll patch them and maybe have another testnet before Alpha 2.

After that, we will have other testnets (e.g. Test 13) until we reach Alpha 3, which will give us vaults from home along with the new client API and the updated SAFE Browser (which integrates the SAFE Authenticator directly so you won't have to download a separate app).

SAFE Authenticator & API

Team leader: Krishna

The authenticator is now functionally complete and it's been integrated with the SAFE Browser5 as planned. This makes it easier for users to download just one binary that contains both the browser and the authenticator. We will continue to test and improve the authenticator in the following week.

We have also made decent progress with the SAFE Node.js API for app developers. There were a few issues we faced while integrating with the FFI. We are hoping to wrap the API by early next week and then we'll integrate it with a demo app. There are minor changes being made in the FFI exposed by the safe_client_libs to address the segfaults and ownership related problems. The authenticator will also be updated to use the FFI of safe_client_libs once these changes are completed.

SAFE Client Libs

Team leader: Spandan

This week we're addressing concerns from the front-end team. With the C API, they are sometimes finding it difficult to not cause segfaults. We are trying to make it easier for them, considering that front-end developers don't necessarily have a C background. Instead of giving the ownership of all heap-allocated data to the front-end and asking them to free it when they want, we are making it more restrictive in that everything that we give them (C-structs/strings, etc.), we expect them to immediately clone into their native types. We will free stuff as soon as control reaches back to us and leaves scope. That way, given less choice and a more restrictive approach, memory management becomes very simple (especially for memory-managed languages such as JavaScript, Java, etc.).

We are also discussing how to approach error recovery during composite operations. For example, if authenticator revokes an app, it has to perform a bunch of operations including re-encryption of data previously accessible to the revoked app and if this fails midway (because connection was lost or the user ran out of allowed number of mutations, etc.) then how do we recover this the next time authenticator starts. Do we store the state somewhere locally or restart from step 0, etc. It might not be either this or that kind of approach and might need to be taken case by case.

Routing & Vault

Team leader: Andreas

We implemented a simple recovery mechanism to synchronise sections that lost consensus during heavy churn, which is currently in review: The nodes in a section will now exchange their routing tables a while after a churn event, and any node that doesn't agree with the quorum will update its own routing table accordingly. (Before disjoint sections we had something similar—"bucket refresh", which is used in the alpha network and the previous test networks—, but this wasn't applicable to the new paradigm anymore.)

With safe_core updated to work with the current routing library, and resource proof nearing completion, we are now testing everything together on droplets, including disjoint sections and the recovery mechanism, to expose any remaining issues and to calibrate the resource proof parameters.

Recruitment

Gabriel Viganotti12 (@bochaco) is the newest member to join the MaidSafe team! He'll be working remotely from Argentina. He'll be part of Krishna's team (SAFE Authenticator & API).

Gabriel has been very active in the SAFE Network community over the last few months. He developed a few applications such as SAFE Wallet11 and SAFE Faucet10. He's also the organizer of the SAFEdev Córdoba3 meetup.

He's planning to continue working on his own apps in addition to the work he'll be doing for MaidSafe :slight_smile:

Great! Thanks for the update!

THIS ONE

Whatsapp has a potential flaw in how it handles key changes for security.

Instead use Signal for a SMS messaging / chat / encrypted phone call replacement. It is the one recommended by Snowden.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

On February 2 MaidSafe started test 12 which had the first vaults from home. Lots of info at the link above but the short of it as I understand it is the system was creating to big of log files (up to a GB a day) and so they shut it down for a bit.

Today they begin test 12b.

https://safenetforum.org/t/safe-network-test-12b/12452

Test 12 gave us a lot of valuable information and exposed several bugs. We addressed the following issues, both to fix the problems we knew about and to improve the usefulness of the logs, and are starting an updated test network today: Test 12b.

1. We reduced the amount of log messages, as they were far too detailed and created several gigabytes of log files over the course of just one day. In particular, Test 12 was logging every single message that was being sent.
    2. On the other hand, we added a bit more information to the logs in some places, to get a closer look at the points where we still suspect issues. For example, there were several UnexpectedState errors and we now print what state that peer is actually in (connected to us, through a tunnel or not, in the routing table or not, etc.). Similarly, when we receive a message from an "unknown peer", we now print the message itself. And in addition to the node's name, every line contains the current section's prefix.
    3. The hole punching mechanism is creating lots of sockets and can reach the file descriptor limit of the operating system. We disabled it completely and send only static information (IP and port) to the other peer for now. This is just a temporary change, of course, to help us debug other parts of the system that are unrelated to hole punching problems.
    4. Because of that and since we saw a lot of tunnelling in the logs, indicating that a lot of nodes had failed to establish direct connections, this network will reject any nodes that do not accept direct TCP connections from the outside. These connections can be direct, port forwarded or obtained via UPnP.
    5. We improved the logging for resource proof on both sides: It now indicates more clearly if you were not able to join because of ongoing churn, as opposed to failing the challenge. And the nodes themselves print the status of their current candidate periodically every 60 seconds. The log level for rejecting candidates was lowered.
    6. More logging was added for the routing table recovery mechanism that periodically restores consensus in every section about the network's structure.
    7. The timeout for retrying if you failed to join was increased to five minutes.
    8. The network now tries to balance itself: if one part of the network already consists of much more sections than another part, it won't accept new nodes until the other part catches up. That further limits the number of vaults that can join per minute, but it should increase the network's stability.
    9. In some cases, SectionSplit events were not passed to vaults. That didn't have any consequences but printed an error message every time.

Test 12b will be a quick test network. We've taken our best guess to try to address the problems with Test 12, but it's possible that there might still be issues with Test 12b. If this is the case, then we'll have a much better idea about what caused the issue, since we improved the logs in places where we suspect issues might happen. If it turns out that the problem is fixed, then we'll continue to let Test 12b run, at least until we release the next set of updates.

Also, lots of people who were able to join Test 12 (with SAFE Vault) might not be able to join Test 12b. The burden of relaying on other nodes was bringing the overall performance down, so we made changes in Crust to block nodes from joining if they do not accept direct TCP connections from the outside. As hole punching / further protocol support gets added in Crust, the number of people "directly connectable" will increase vastly. For now, with this updated network, only people who either have a TCP port forwarded and specify it in their Crust config file OR people who have UPnP enabled will be able to participate as a vault.

If you see this message, it's because the network is not able to reach you. You'll need to forward a TCP port or enable UPnP on your router. [image of message at link]

If you forwarded a TCP port on your router (see this website9 for more information on how to do this), you need to specify the port in the safe_vault.crust.config file (which is located in the same directory as the safe_vault binary) in the tcp_acceptor_port field.

Here are the download links for Test 12b:

Download SAFE Vault Test-12-B on GitHub44
    Download SAFE Launcher Test-12-B on GitHub34 [download links at link]
    Last edited by P3ter_Griffin; 02-08-2017 at 07:34 PM.

MaidSafe Dev Update - March 9, 2017

Time for a wee celebration and for us to take a breath and more importantly to let the community know, this works, our faith is well founded. The hurdles we faced recently were not insignificant, the remaining work cannot be underestimated, however, we can now stand up and stop arguing if this can work and show this does work. We can have autonomous networks, self authentication, self encrypting data, secure mutation of data in a secured private environment...etc... We can at last show anyone who is interested. Our quiet steady progress has all been validated. We will continue quietly and steadily, but now a little bit quicker with a larger team and less need to get involved in the chat about the impossible network. This milestone should make everyone feel a little happy inside and knowing we have the staff, the resources and obviously the grit and determination to take this to completion. All in all, it's a good day :slight_smile: We also can't thank you enough for all the feedback, support, testing and gathering log files, this is truly a community effort.

Test 12c is now offline. As @dirvine mentioned here, we identified a bug in Crust which caused nodes to partially connect (drop connections to only a few other nodes). This was a good thing in fact as this is extremely hard to model and is a great test to look at potential DOS attacks on some sections and work out how to handle them. While such attacks are very difficult in the real world this bug modelled it perfectly. It had also gone unnoticed for a while now. We've seen the same issue from Crust also occur in the Alpha 1 and Test 11 networks. This bug has now been fixed (see this PR) and we also got Routing updated slightly to handle similar issues from Crust, so if we do see partially connected nodes we now have several methods to handle them. As we move to data chains though this kind of bug is highly detectable and we can allow it up to a point and then agree to kill nodes that cannot maintain enough connections to group members. We also are analysing the possibility of even more dramatic network outages (>90%) and what can be done there. Full network restart is part of data republish, but handling these extreme cases requires an exceptionally good design (not all systems can handle such extreme cases).

So, now that we have a stable core network in place, it makes sense to talk about the future and what we have coming up. We have really been defensive during the recent months as we had a large job and we did get into a very high pressure state in house with immediate issues to be solved (of course none had obvious solutions). We can change this a little now and define, just a little bit clearer, our near term desires.

Our current thinking is that once we have confirmed the stability of the soon to be launched Test 15 (some may have expected 12d), this will become Alpha 2. The Alpha 2 network will supersede all existing networks. We're planning to deprecate both Alpha 1 and Test 11 towards the end of this week. These networks have helped us test the client APIs extensively and have encountered a few issues over the last few months they've been running. Some from our bugs like the Crust one we noticed this week and some from network outages on these networks which weren't suited to handle churn well. As you know we have taken down TEST-12c today and are doing soak tests on our fixes over the weekend. If this all goes well over the weekend, we would expect TEST-15 very soon afterwards. There is one more small fix we may apply tomorrow, but testing on that continues for now.

List of features for the upcoming alpha networks:

Alpha 3

• Mutable Data and authenticator pattern (with the new SAFE API)
    • SAFE Browser JavaScript APIs and Node.js SDK along with example apps, tutorials and documentation
    • Vaults from home (continued, more people should be able to run more nodes and on more platforms)

This will be a huge testnet for the community. We will work extremely hard with many Engineers on our forum daily to get feedback on the APIs, help with apps and more. This will be the Alpha we settle the client-side APIs so we expect huge debates and help from all the usual suspects and beyond. As a company many of our Engineers are just too busy to get too involved, but this changes in Alpha 3 as this is the real engage moment. We will have the ability to quicky alter an API, test it out and let others play with it. This will be critical to the future of all of the network and the networks developers. It should be an exciting period.

We anticipate having several mutable data testnets confirming that the implementation and documentation is good enough.

Beyond Alpha 3

• Data republish (ability to upgrade the network without deleting all the data) will likely be the focus.
    • A security audit of the network
    • Test safecoin
    • Real-time network upgrades
    • Network validated upgrades

In between alpha networks, there will be many testnets. Each alpha will focus on a few major components. Major features will be added one by one in testnets.

Once all those things are in place, there may be other alpha networks, or we may move to beta. With the team constantly expanding, there are a lot of reasons to believe we can be more managed in this rollout.

A few other things are happening in parallel (e.g. in Crust, we are making changes to allow more computers to run vaults from home, to increase the amount of people on the network as well as security and efficiency).

Also, you can expect to see an increase in activities for documentation in the next weeks and months. We will also look again at a simpler clearer roadmap. Not a mini project this time, but a helpful and friendly simple roadmap.

MaidSafe Asia

As mentioned in an earlier blog post, the Maidsafe Asia agreement has been signed off and the Jakarta conference was the first direct output of that partnership. We are currently working on a strategy with them to identify the most effective way forward, including; where to target, how we position our offering, what materials we need, which languages we support (linked to where we target), what skills we need...etc... The initial focus is all centered around working with SAFE Network developers.

Thus far, we have the guys at MaidSafe Asia who are highly motivated, industrious, and have a huge amount of energy, and as can be seen from the conference intro video, are prepared to put their money where their mouth is. This is an unfortunate rarity in this world and we feel fortunate to be working with them. As strategies are agreed and plans put in place we will share these with you moving forward.

In addition to MaidSafe Asia, we are also seeing other aspects of the business developing. This year we have seen a number of commercial enquiries and possible partnership opportunities develop. These have come from a small and diverse range of companies from all around the globe. We anticipate that the opportunities will only increase as we build the team and roll out the technology, and we have decided to hire a Business Development Exec to take these forward. You will likely see the job spec being added to our Careers page in the coming days. We are primarily looking for someone with knowledge of system architectures and a strong commercial background, possibly from a very technical sales engineering type role....
    https://safenetforum.org/t/maidsafe-...h-9-2017/12774
    more at link