Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Beer drinkers, please join me in boycotting Dogfish Head

  1. #1

    Beer drinkers, please join me in boycotting Dogfish Head

    http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Be...407493375.html

    Dogfish Head brewery has twice threatened legal action against an old friend who is trying to make a second-career go of brewing mead.
    Dogfish has a single seasonal brew called "Kvasir", which was Jerome Snyder's original name for his meadery. They did not even have a trademark on that name when Jerome did his search but basically beat him to the punch with filing.

    After the first cease and desist, Jerome played ball and changed the name to "Vahseer", which is an alternate spelling. Kvasir/Vahseer is the being in Norse mythology who invented mead, so Dogfish's claim is synonymous to saying you can't name a beer "Hercules" because of the terrible Lou Ferigno movie nobody has ever seen.

    Dogfish Head has done this before, with words like "Punkin" and "Namaste", both of which were used to interfere with other small businesses. If you have a problem with the way intellectual property law is applied in the US, or even if you think this is terrible business practice, please boycott Dogfish Head and tell them why you're doing it.

    Jerome also has a gofundme set up to try to fight them in court.
    https://www.gofundme.com/vahseer-meadery-fund

    The "confusing" decals say it all:



    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Dogfish head's position seems reasonable to me. They seemed pretty supportive in their reply as well.

    It says in the article that dogfish head started producing in 2013 and your friend in 2015...

  4. #3
    Wait,,

    Dogfish is an Ale.

    Mead is Mead. not Ale.

    They need a Lawyer that can read.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Be...407493375.html

    Dogfish Head brewery has twice threatened legal action against an old friend who is trying to make a second-career go of brewing mead.
    Dogfish has a single seasonal brew called "Kvasir", which was Jerome Snyder's original name for his meadery. They did not even have a trademark on that name when Jerome did his search but basically beat him to the punch with filing.

    After the first cease and desist, Jerome played ball and changed the name to "Vahseer", which is an alternate spelling. Kvasir/Vahseer is the being in Norse mythology who invented mead, so Dogfish's claim is synonymous to saying you can't name a beer "Hercules" because of the terrible Lou Ferigno movie nobody has ever seen.

    Dogfish Head has done this before, with words like "Punkin" and "Namaste", both of which were used to interfere with other small businesses. If you have a problem with the way intellectual property law is applied in the US, or even if you think this is terrible business practice, please boycott Dogfish Head and tell them why you're doing it.

    Jerome also has a gofundme set up to try to fight them in court.
    https://www.gofundme.com/vahseer-meadery-fund

    The "confusing" decals say it all:



    Birch syrup is ok for bug repellent .
    Do something Danke

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Dogfish head's position seems reasonable to me. They seemed pretty supportive in their reply as well.

    It says in the article that dogfish head started producing in 2013 and your friend in 2015...
    It also says, in the article, that they did not hold a trademark when he did his search in 2015, and that they beat him to the punch with paperwork.
    It also says that he changed the name the first go around.
    Also this is not the first small brewery Dogfish Head is going after.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    It also says, in the article, that they did not hold a trademark when he did his search in 2015, and that they beat him to the punch with paperwork.
    It also says that he changed the name the first go around.
    Also this is not the first small brewery Dogfish Head is going after.
    yeah it sucks all around. but my understanding of trademark law (limited) is that you HAVE to aggressively pursue protecting your trademark or you will lose it.
    And true, they didn't have the trademark yet, but who knows how long they had been planning on it and waiting on lawyers to finish the paperwork. They beat him to the punch, he should just cut his losses and come up with some other name.

  8. #7
    I thought mead was fermented honey?
    Doesn't seem like it would work as ale - seems more akin to wine or brandy?

  9. #8
    I pretty much reject the idea of intellectual property.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I thought mead was fermented honey?
    Doesn't seem like it would work as ale - seems more akin to wine or brandy?
    I brew my own Mead. It is more of a honey wine as for alcohol content. It definitely has it's own flavor.

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I pretty much reject the idea of intellectual property.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Natural Citizen again.
    Sorry, bro. That's +rep worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RPEphesians 6:12 (KJV)//I sell stuff here go buy nao!

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    he should just cut his losses and come up with some other name.
    He did.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.



Similar Threads

  1. Collagen-Infused Japanese Beer Promises To Make Drinkers More Attractive
    By Suzanimal in forum Personal Health & Well-Being
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM
  2. Ron Paul supporting states are heavy beer drinkers
    By randomname in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM
  3. Drinkers sue Anheuser-Busch for 'watering down' beer
    By sailingaway in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 11:13 PM
  4. Beer Drinkers for Ron Paul [Get Yours Now]
    By SpicyTurkey in forum Ron Paul Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 12:10 AM
  5. Beer drinkers for Ron Paul
    By SpicyTurkey in forum Ron Paul Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •