Thread: Republican governor of Guam calls for marijuana legalization

Republican governor of Guam calls for marijuana legalization

Guam Governor Calls For Marijuana Legalization

BY TOM ANGELL
    DECEMBER 19TH, 2016

Eight U.S. states and the District of Columbia have already legalized marijuana, and now a key U.S. territory could be moving to end cannabis prohibition.

“I want us to look at how states navigated into recreational marijuana,” Guam Governor Eddie Calvo, a Republican, said in a Facebook post on Monday. “Let’s figure it out and then tax the heck out of it and use those taxes to help fund our hospital, public safety and education.”

Guam voters approved a medical cannabis initiative in 2014, but it hasn’t yet been implemented as lawmakers have squabbled over the particulars of regulations.

Guam isn’t the only U.S. territory where legalization could become a reality soon. Roughly 135 miles away by plane flight, lawmakers in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) are pushing to end cannabis prohibition.

And, outgoing Puerto Rico Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla called for legalization earlier this year and issued an executive order last month to end drug testing for marijuana to public sector employees.
    read more:
    http://www.marijuana.com/blog/news/2...-legalization/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm glad the territories are moving slowly towards ending prohibition on pot. These are steps in the right direction.

Calvo bill would legalize marijuana for recreational use

Shawn Raymundo
    Jan. 10, 2017

Gov. Eddie Calvo on Tuesday introduced a measure to legalize marijuana on island.

“I am introducing this bill, not because I personally support the recreational use of marijuana, but as a solution to the regulatory labyrinth that sprouted from the voter-mandated medical marijuana program,” Calvo said in a press release.

The bill would allow anyone 21 years and older to purchase and possess up to an ounce of marijuana from licensed distributors. It would also impose a 15-percent sin tax on the sale of the drug. Patients with a medical marijuana card would be exempt from the tax.

Calvo’s measure comes about a month after he first announced his support to legalize and tax marijuana for recreational usage.

read more:
    http://www.guampdn.com/story/news/20...-use/96381968/

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    I'm glad the territories are moving slowly towards ending prohibition on pot. These are steps in the right direction.
    What did take them so long? Were they high?

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Calvo bill would legalize marijuana for recreational use

Shawn Raymundo
    Jan. 10, 2017

Gov. Eddie Calvo on Tuesday introduced a measure to legalize marijuana on island.

“I am introducing this bill, not because I personally support the recreational use of marijuana, but as a solution to the regulatory labyrinth that sprouted from the voter-mandated medical marijuana program,” Calvo said in a press release.

The bill would allow anyone 21 years and older to purchase and possess up to an ounce of marijuana from licensed distributors. It would also impose a 15-percent sin tax on the sale of the drug. Patients with a medical marijuana card would be exempt from the tax.

Calvo’s measure comes about a month after he first announced his support to legalize and tax marijuana for recreational usage.

read more:
    http://www.guampdn.com/story/news/20...-use/96381968/
    So which is it? A sin or a medi-sin? Just ask the guy with the gun pointed at your head.

What if you're sick and enjoy the buzz?
    What if you're sick and don't enjoy the buzz?

What if you believe all taxation is theft and people who point guns for no reason are full of $#@!?
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE