Thread: Should I drive a Wrecker?

Should I drive a Wrecker?

Should I drive a Wrecker?

Open Question for my friends to help decide.
    Now there are pros and cons,,, and we can explore them..
    especially Cons.

Pros are few and limited,, the key one "being of service".

The major con being a larger radar visibility. State involvement and LE encounters.

Tough choice,, help me out.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I...would not. That said, it might well be for you. I really can't say.
    "The Patriarch"

I think you would be good at it Pete.
    Do something Danke

I think you would do just fine.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Fantastic access to lots of potential auto and truck rehabs.
    "The Patriarch"

Tough choice... you will have to deal with the goons on a daily basis and indeed your "profits" will be driven by how many cars they can steal from the Sheeple...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    If you are thinking of driving for money, maybe Uber is worth exploring.

What has you considering driving a wrecker?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Pretty sure you'll need a CDL Pete.

Thanks Reagan...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cons?
    I think my father put it best once... tow truck drivers are those too cowardly to be bounty hunters.
    If you can get a gig where you're rescuing people on the side of the road, that's one thing, and honorable. If you're sniping people in apartment complexes that don't even have a posted tow policy, that's another thing, and not.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    If you are thinking of driving for money, maybe Uber is worth exploring.

What has you considering driving a wrecker?
    Guy I am in service to has a second truck.. would be handy at times..

not about money.. Been off book though. that is a drawback.. Money would have to show.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Cons?
    I think my father put it best once... tow truck drivers are those too cowardly to be bounty hunters.
    If you can get a gig where you're rescuing people on the side of the road, that's one thing, and honorable. If you're sniping people in apartment complexes that don't even have a posted tow policy, that's another thing, and not.
    Understood.

Rescue Tow.. Columbia Gorge area. 97 I-84
    sometimes tricky $#@!, sometimes sad.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Pretty sure you'll need a CDL Pete.

Thanks Reagan...
    Not where I am,, or so I have been told.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I'm guessing you're OK with being on call. A friend's dad had a wrecker service, sometimes when I would spend the night over there, he would get calls and go out in the middle of the night. He also had a police scanner so he'd know what to expect. Looks like there is good money in it.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I'm guessing you're OK with being on call. A friend's dad had a wrecker service, sometimes when I would spend the night over there, he would get calls and go out in the middle of the night. He also had a police scanner so he'd know what to expect. Looks like there is good money in it.
    My Employer does OK.. though employer is not entirely accurate.
    And the second truck will need some work.. it is not about money so much as He gets a bit wrung out at times. Could use the help.

My biggest drawback is "Imperial Entanglements",, on several levels.

I'm comfortable now.. minimal and polite contacts with local LE. I am not hiding. but am also very low profile.
    This would change that.

We also have a comfortable voluntary exchange that does not involve government books..
    and that would change..I would likely earn money and have to pay tax. and all that entails.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Yah, if a CDL is not required then do it.

I've done it before, on the land and water, was the most fun I've had working.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

One of my early jobs,,at 15.. a 1965/66 GMC one ton 4x4 Big V6. (under radar) on my learners permit.

Haven't done it in years.
    Have been comfortable living invisibly in plain sight.
    This would change that.. But it May be good change.. it may be a bust trap.

tad gunshy
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Back in the 1980's, a friend of mine bought an old tow truck for dirt cheap. On each of the doors, and backwards (so it could be read in another vehicle's rear view mirror) across the front edge of the hood, he spray painted "Abysmal Towing" and his phone number. It was most awesome! He managed to build up a nice little collection of barely running junk (mostly japanese) cars that he kept out by his field. They were used for target practice, or smash up derbies around the perimeter of the field. Someone like you could have a LOT of fun with a tow truck! And like Origanalist pointed out, you'll surely come up with some fantastic scores for restoration. Go for it!
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

not about money.. Been off book though. that is a drawback.. Money would have to show.
    Best not tow somebody's vehicle off the books. Any mishap and you are in legal trouble. Even a purported trusted friend might turn on you once their vehicle is damaged due to some alleged misstep that could be attributed to you.

Understood.
    Rescue Tow.. Columbia Gorge area. 97 I-84
    sometimes tricky $#@!, sometimes sad.
    You seem like a guy I would trust in both of those types of situations.

In my experiences the police were always happy to see me show up so traffic could start flowing again and the interaction was very minimal because they were directing traffic and I was hooking the vehicles up. They never bugged any us for speeding and it was unwritten company policy to do 20 over if you were responding to a call and 10 over when hooked up and a few of the guys routinely drove 30 over around town. Might be worth checking with your friend to see how the police in that area treat the tow drivers.

Do you need the money?

Is helping your friend worth the risk?

Is your friend aware of the risk you'd be taking?

Finally............What's your gut say?

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries

Unfortunately this would increase your entanglement with the state more than your current situation. Most likely it wouldn't cause you any problems I would guess. It seems like you want to help the guy, but are concerned about the possible problems later and that is valid. Is he worth the risk? If you consider him a friend, I suspect you would take a risk to help him when he is in need. Am I on target?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Do you need the money?

Is helping your friend worth the risk?

Is your friend aware of the risk you'd be taking?

Finally............What's your gut say?
    Gut is mixed., ,hence the requested input.

Need Money? not really.. though I can always spend more..
    My housing, food, medication and fuel,, all fine..

It would be a help to the shop at times.. I ride along for an extra hand.. and a second truck would be a bonus.

And I like being helpful.

I also like being out of view even in plain sight.
    This would change several parameters.

And yes he knows my situation,, and would still take me shootin' (perhaps not wise on his part)
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gut is mixed., ,hence the requested input.

Need Money? not really.. though I can always spend more..
    My housing, food, medication and fuel,, all fine..

It would be a help to the shop at times.. I ride along for an extra hand.. and a second truck would be a bonus.

And I like being helpful.

I also like being out of view even in plain sight.
    This would change several parameters.

And yes he knows my situation,, and would still take me shootin' (perhaps not wise on his part)
    He's not at risk taking you shootin'.........

I'd jump on in to help a friend just be sure to keep goodies out of the work truck....

Update;

Well,,no. Not driving wrecker..

I should have updated this sooner,, but someone just asked.
    Parted company with the wrecker guy, end of January.

I will say it is disappointing.
    There was a lot of potential there,, but the guy did not want to do anything right, and was preventing progress as well.
    I want to be useful. I like to help.. but I couldn't. All he wanted to do was phuck off and phuck up.
    He didn't need help with either.

So,, in limbo. Back on Washington side. out of desert and in rain forest.

and open to options again.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Update;

Well,,no. Not driving wrecker..

I should have updated this sooner,, but someone just asked.
    Parted company with the wrecker guy, end of January.

I will say it is disappointing.
    There was a lot of potential there,, but the guy did not want to do anything right, and was preventing progress as well.
    I want to be useful. I like to help.. but I couldn't. All he wanted to do was phuck off and phuck up.
    He didn't need help with either.

So,, in limbo. Back on Washington side. out of desert and in rain forest.

and open to options again.
    Well, that doesn't sound encouraging.

Hope everything works out for you.