Thread: Diet drinks DON'T help you lose weight: Study finds they contain a chemical that BOOSTS appeti

Diet drinks DON'T help you lose weight: Study finds they contain a chemical that BOOSTS appeti

*I do not agree with taxing these soda, there needs to be more transparency so people can become more informed and make their own choices. Diet sodas are the very worst, IMHO.*

Diet drinks DON'T help you lose weight: Study finds they contain a chemical that BOOSTS appetite

By Victoria Allen Science Correspondent For The Daily Mail

Published: 12:19 EST, 13 December 2016

Diet drinks do not help people lose weight, a study has found, because they eat more to compensate.

Calorie-free drinks like Diet Coke and Sprite Zero increase someone's hunger and desire to eat, according to scientists.

Volunteers given artificial sweeteners found in these drinks should have lost weight by avoiding the sugar packed into normal fizzy drinks.

But they simply made up the difference in calories at lunch, ensuring they stayed the same size.

The findings, published in the International Journal of Obesity, were described as 'surprising' by the lead author, who gave people three different kinds of sweeteners, or sugar, before recording their food intake for the rest of the day.

Dr Siew Ling Tey, of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research in Singapore, said: 'The energy "saved" from replacing sugar with non-nutritive sweetener was fully compensated for at subsequent meals in the current study, hence no difference in total daily energy intake was found between the four treatments.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-appetite.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well the conclusion of the study is correct, but it's funny that the scientists are still under some misconceptions about why people gain weight, or, don't lose weight if they are overweight.

They claim that the person increases their caloric intake, and that this causes the weight gain.

While it may be true that the compensated by eating additional calories, weight gain and fat storing is a little more complex than that. It has to do with insulin release and subsequent fat storage. When you eat sugar or carbs, your body produces insulin and blood sugar still spikes. When you eat most artificial sweeteners like those found in soda, the same mechanism occurs. However, there is a better option. Stevia is as good or better taste-wise than these other artificial sweeteners, and it actually helps control your blood sugar, insulin production and insulin resistance.

I know some people here don't like stevia and prefer other natural non-caloric or caloric sweeteners, but the point is that stevia tastes as good or better than the artificial sweeteners commonly used in sodas, and it is actually healthy.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I don't like any of that stuff. IMO, cutting out sodas completely is the way to go. It's full of empty calories or garbage and it's bad for your teeth. I have a Coke every once in awhile (for some reason I crave one when I'm sick) but I instantly regret it. They don't quench my thirst - they actually make me feel thirstier. o_O I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners and natural ones with the exception of honey in certain things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Drinking too many sodas- regular or diet- is not good for your health.

Stevia is a chemically derived compound and would qualify as an artificial sweeter. It is bitter anyways so is usually blended with sugar or another artificial sweetener to help its flavor. High fructose corn syrup could equally be considered "natural".

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...stevia/257882/

How 'Natural' Is Stevia?

It may be sweet and calorie-free, but extracting that flavor from a plant requires serious chemical interventions

FoodNavigator-USA.com did a special edition "Where next for natural sweeteners?" Special editions are collections of previously published articles on topics of interest to this newsletter's food industry readers.

Why do this? The holy grail of food technology is to find a no-calorie sweetener that tastes as good as sugar, has no bitter aftertaste, and can be marketed as "natural" because it's extracted from plants. Examples: Stevia extracted from leaves, Monk fruit sweetener.

As with high fructose corn syrup, not everyone considers these sweeteners to be natural since they have to go through chemical processing steps.
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=p...4-88E3467C8EDD

To get from a stevia leaf to Reb A, a long chemical process is employed. But Cargill describes the process as similar to extracting flavor from tea leaves. Perhaps the first step is similar, but the following ones are not: ethanol, methanol and/or rubbing alcohol are then employed to extract the sweetener.

The bulking agent added to Reb A is erythritol, a sugar alcohol that is synthetically manufactured in a lab. It starts as GMO corn, which goes through hydrolysis to turn it into starch. It is then treated with yeast to ferment it into the end result.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/art-20046936
    The topic of sugar substitutes can be confusing. One problem is that the terminology is often open to interpretation. For instance, some manufacturers call their sweeteners "natural" even though they're processed or refined, as is the case with stevia preparations. And some artificial sweeteners are derived from naturally occurring substances — sucralose comes from sugar, for example.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-14-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Drinking too many sodas- regular or diet- is not good for your health.

Stevia is a chemically derived compound and would qualify as an artificial sweeter. It is bitter anyways so is usually blended with sugar or another artificial sweetener to help its flavor. High fructose corn syrup could equally be considered "natural".

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...stevia/257882/

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=p...4-88E3467C8EDD

Nice propaganda spins.

lol... I have no problem with alcohol extractions, I actually perform them myself at home. It's funny how in one thread where people complain about chemicals you will say oh well even water is a chemical.. But then when there is actually something that is healthy that is made in a healthy way, you start complaining about chemicals..

Erythritol is commonly made with GMO corn, but not all erythritol is made with GMO corn. To say it must be made with GMO corn is ridiculous.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

https://www.bigclassaction.com/settl...-raw-class.php

$1.5M Settlement Finalized in Stevia In The Raw Class Action Lawsuit

Santa Clara, CA: $1.5 million settlement has been reached in a consumer fraud class action lawsuit pending against Cumberland Packing Corp, the manufacturer of Stevia In The Raw.

Specifically, the allegations centered around claims that the label prominently states that Stevia In The Raw is a “100% Natural Zero Calorie Sweetener” when in fact it contains dextrose and maltodextrin which are derived from highly processed GMO corn.

The settlement will, in addition to paying damages to eligible class members, ensure that Cumberland stops using the phrases “100% natural” or “all natural” on packages or labels of its Stevia In The Raw products.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    They also replace real sugar with aspartame

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-25-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-25-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Aspartame is also addictive.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

People should ask themselves, why do mostly fat people drink "diet" sodas?

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    People should ask themselves, why do mostly fat people drink "diet" sodas?

In high school, I used to work at a hamburger joint. We used to get a kick out of this one regular customer who would order two double cheese burgers, a large fried, a fried apple pie and a Tab. Tab--that was like battery acid...or maybe it was?

Artificial Sweeteners Linked to weight gain, fines new research

Artificial sweeteners are found in a plethora of products from cough syrups to salad dressings, but new research claims that the sugar alternative could actually lead to weight gain.

The chances of developing diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and obesity are linked to consuming artificial sweeteners, according to the new large-scale study on the effects of the sugar substitute.

The research was conducted by scientists from the University of Manitoba, Canada and reviewed data from 37 studies which analysed more than 400,000 people for an average period of 10 years.

“The results showed a statistically significant association between consumption of artificial sweeteners and higher risks of diabetes and heart disease, as well as increased weight gain,” lead author of the study, Dr Megan Azad said.

By contrast, soft drinks industry executives said artificial sweeteners had been “deemed safe” by health regulators including the US Food and Drug Administration’s approval.

Artificial sweeteners are synthetic food additives that provide a sweet taste to mimic sugar, while containing significantly fewer calories. Many products which contain them are commonly labelled as ‘reduced sugar’ or ‘diet’ and have intended weight loss benefits which are disputed by the new research.

Read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7844611.html

I totally agree that diet soda isn't the best way to go about weight loss. Soda is unhealthy, anyway you pour it.

Unsweetened coffee and tea, and of course water, can help with weight loss. I'm drinking unsweetened coffee right now. It isn't black though, as I added several healthy spices to it
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

*I do not agree with taxing these soda, there needs to be more transparency so people can become more informed and make their own choices. Diet sodas are the very worst, IMHO.*
    Yes, people need to educate themselves on these matters... the info is out there, but one has to dig for it at times.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.