Thread: Watchdog Group Claims Smart Toys Are Spying On Kids

Watchdog Group Claims Smart Toys Are Spying On Kids

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/12...spying-on-kids

The Center for Digital Democracy has filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission warning of security and privacy holes associated with a pair of smart toys designed for children. Mashable reports:

"This complaint concerns toys that spy," reads the complaint, which claims the Genesis Toys' My Friend Cayla and i-QUE Intelligent Robot can record and collect private conversations and offer no limitations on the collection and use of personal information. Both toys use voice recognition, internet connectivity and Bluetooth to engage with children in conversational manner and answer questions. The CDD claims they do all of this in wildly insecure and invasive ways. Both My Friend Cayla and i-QUE use Nuance Communications' voice-recognition platform to listen and respond to queries. On the Genesis Toy site, the manufacturer notes that while "most of Cayla's conversational features can be accessed offline," searching for information may require an internet connection. The promotional video for Cayla encourages children to "ask Cayla almost anything." The dolls work in concert with mobile apps. Some questions can be asked directly, but the toys maintain a constant Bluetooth connection to the dolls so they can also react to actions in the app and even appear to identify objects the child taps on on screen. While some of the questions children ask the dolls are apparently recorded and sent to Nuance's servers for parsing, it's unclear how much of the information is personal in nature. The Genesis Privacy Policy promises to anonymize information. The CDD also claims, however, that My Friend Cayla and i-Que employ Bluetooth in the least secure way possible. Instead of requiring a PIN code to complete pairing between the toy and a smartphone or iPad, "Cayla and i-Que do not employ... authentication mechanisms to establish a Bluetooth connection between the doll and a smartphone or tablet. The dolls do not implement any other security measure to prevent unauthorized Bluetooth pairing." Without a pairing notification on the toy or any authentication strategy, anyone with a Bluetooth device could connect to the toys' open Bluetooth networks, according to the complaint.
    There are TWO conflicting definitions of Privacy that appear to be in use:

#1 - Individual - Every shred of data is OFF LIMITS unless explicitly shared. Exceptions, Name, Address, and Phone Number (unless Unlisted).

#2 - Corporate - TOTAL access to EVERYTHING. Their idea of Privacy is to collect ALL DATA, then discriminately sell that data to whoever offers either enough money, or enough legal leverage such as a warrant or by changing the law to demand that data be shared.

One of these two ideas is deeply flawed and needs to be thrown in the woods. I suppose there is a third, government, and they are restricted heavily by the 4th Amendment, but circumvent that by either demanding or purchasing what all the corporations have collected on people. It will not be long until people start getting arrested for Pre Crimes.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Flash Back:

Talking Toy Or Spy?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/talking-toy-or-spy/

They always gave me the creeps.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Flash Back:

Talking Toy Or Spy?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/talking-toy-or-spy/

They always gave me the creeps.
    Getting the creeps would be a very normal response because there is a part of you that knows damn well these spy devices can NOT be trusted!
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The future is fail

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The future is fail
    Can we just throw this whole Technocratic Spy Future in the $#@!ing woods already?
    1776 > 1984

Some of this technology could be great if there wasn't such EVIL that surrounds it.

One of the reason we need watchdog groups screaming about invasion of privacy all the time and for people to realize that freedom requires working hard to keep it.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner