Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feathered baby dinosaur tail found trapped in amber

Feathered baby dinosaur tail found trapped in amber

Feathered baby dinosaur tail found trapped in amber

While browsing amber markets in Myanmar, scientists discovered the feathers and partial tail of a tiny baby dinosaur that lived some 99 million years ago.

The find, described in the journal Current Biology, offers a rare window onto the structure and organization of dinosaur feathers — one that could help shed new light on their evolution.

Scientists have long studied feathers that pop up in the fossil record in part because they want to understand the origins of birds. Birds are thought to be the only living descendants of dinosaurs — and questions of how and when their ancestors first developed flight (and the feathers that enabled it) remain confounding mysteries.

In recent years, paleontologists have also realized that many dinosaurs were not scaly (a la Jurassic Park) but feathered like birds. However, their plumage’s original purpose (for example, for insulation or for camouflage) remains up for debate. Researchers want to understand the origin of feathers, as well as figure out how they eventually evolved for flight.
    This new fossil, encased in amber, solves all of those issues. Co-lead author Lida Xing of the China University of Geosciences discovered the fossil at an amber market in Myanmar last year. Because of its bushy appearance, the seller believed the tail to be some kind of trapped plant — but Xing believed differently and asked the Dexu Institute of Paleontology to purchase it.
    The partial tail, which probably belonged to a coelurosaur about the size of a sparrow, consists of eight full vertebra surrounded by highly preserved feathers. In birds, tailbones are fused together in what’s known as a pygostyle, which is why scientists think this one must have come from a non-avialan dinosaur.

“This flexible tail isn’t something that you see in modern birds, so it restricts you to a group of dinosaurs that are outside of archaeopteryx and modern birds,” McKellar said. “You have to be dealing with something lower down in the evolutionary tree. And this means you’re firmly in dinosaur territory, as opposed to bird territory.”

Unlike birds, the dinosaur’s feathers had an underdeveloped main stem, or rachis. The top feathers were dark and those on the underside were light, so it may have been used for camouflage or signaling, McKellar said.
    More: http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...208-story.html
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Birds are thought to be the only living descendants of dinosaurs
    Shakes head in wonder how gullible people really are.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    Shakes head in wonder how gullible people really are.
    Gullible enough to be told that strata date fossils, and in other cases fossils date strata, and never question the methodology.
    Or, in particular cases, gullible enough to believe a random piece of amber bought at a random market in a failed state is instantly known to be 99 million years old.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

If it's really that important, then they should be backtracing where that piece came from. Amber doesn't come out of the ground all polished. This was piece of a bigger piece of amber, that workers sorted through and picked out the most interesting pieces to polish. If it's that significant they should have archaeologists picking through the rest of that source of amber.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Can they really date something as being 90 million years old with a high degree of certainty??

I don't like feathered dinosaurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I will give them a silver eagle for it .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I am thinking , marinade that in some Italian dressing and then onto the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    How would you know?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Can they really date something as being 90 million years old with a high degree of certainty??
    That depends. In case of these 'intact feathers' I guess it's possible to do some tests on nuclear isotopes. Not C14, if they can get an age with C14 dating, it's not millions of years old... There are some other isotopes that could work though.

Dating fossils is much more complicated as fossils have pretty much lost all of their original minerals which were slowly replaced over time by other minerals. Fossils are not bones but they are more or less a positive copy after leaving a gap in the soil while the original material erodes. Fossils are generally dated by testing or extrapolating the age of the soil/rock in the layer in which they are found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiometric_dating
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    How would you know?
    I guess I'm just old fashioned. I want my dinosaurs to have scales - like a snake or at the very least, lizard skin. I'm no scientist but I always thought lizards and snakes came from dinosaurs. The dinos with chin thingies in Jurassic Park remind me of the lizards around my house.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    That depends. In case of these 'intact feathers' I guess it's possible to do some tests on nuclear isotopes. Not C14, if they can get an age with C14 dating, it's not millions of years old... There are some other isotopes that could work though.

Dating fossils is much more complicated as fossils have pretty much lost all of their original minerals which were slowly replaced over time by other minerals. Fossils are not bones but they are more or less a positive copy after leaving a gap in the soil while the original material erodes. Fossils are generally dated by testing or extrapolating the age of the soil/rock in the layer in which they are found.

Interesting. Thanks.

But isn't radiometric dating brought to us by the same people that tell us the Earth is round?

I look askance.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Interesting. Thanks.

But isn't radiometric dating brought to us by the same people that tell us the Earth is round?

I look askance.....
    If you mean scientists with that, then, yes.

Classical scientists however, people who work with hard data and experimental verification. This science is not based on statistics (alone).
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Gullible enough to be told that strata date fossils, and in other cases fossils date strata, and never question the methodology.
    Or, in particular cases, gullible enough to believe a random piece of amber bought at a random market in a failed state is instantly known to be 99 million years old.
    Amber alert!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Tastes like chicken.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Makes sense as they have found dinosaur fossils above the arctic circle. Down feathers are great for insulation as many winter coats used it. Still waiting for the dinosaur humanoids to be discovered.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Danke is incubating some in the Hangar.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Danke is incubating some in the Hangar.
    Feathered or scaly? If they're scaly, I might be interested but only if they're vegetarians.

I wonder what else Danke is up to in that hangar.

Feathered or scaly? If they're scaly, I might be interested but only if they're vegetarians.

I am guessing feathered based on Temp.'s up there.
    Do something Danke

I am guessing feathered based on Temp.'s up there.
    You think he's sitting on them or do you think the slacker rigged up a heat lamp?

Lit the furnace tonight. Oyarde hasn't installed a wood stove for me yet..
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

How come no articles want to mention the damned prehistoric bugs in there with it?
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

You think he's sitting on them or do you think the slacker rigged up a heat lamp?
    Slacker heat lamp incubator .
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Lit the furnace tonight. Oyarde hasn't installed a wood stove for me yet..
    What are you planning to do when the power goes out and your pipes freeze ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    How come no articles want to mention the damned prehistoric bugs in there with it?
    Probably because they are exactly the same as "today" bugs...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

Ah yes, radiometric dating. I always have a problem with this as it makes at least two assumptions that cannot be proven.

The first assumption is that one knows what the ratio of isotopes were when the item was "new"...
    The second is that the rate of decay is consistent over time...

If either of these are wrong then the "date" fails. How does one know the original ratio of isotopes?? Was there 100% parent and 0% daughter? Is it not possible that there were 50-50 when new?

Then there's the decay rate. We know what the "normal" decay rate is but we've seen that outside forces can change that rate (perhaps pressure or temperature). In order to be sure you would have to know that this item you are dating was stored in a lab for 99 million years (but then you would already know the date, wouldn't you?)
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

What are you planning to do when the power goes out and your pipes freeze ?
    Had a well, but the commie local government made everyone cement them up and if you wanted water, hook up to the local city water.

over $10k, no thanks. So no pipes to freeze.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Probably because they are exactly the same as "today" bugs...
    Those look like "today" feathers.

Moreover, depending on how accurate that date is, they would be among the earliest ants (assuming that one is an ant).
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I need one of these . Anybody going to Myanmar with time to ask @ the markets , keep me in mind .
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast