Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Dream collapsing for young adults

American Dream collapsing for young adults

American Dream collapsing for young adults, study says, as odds plunge that children will earn more than their parents
    By Jim Tankersley - December 8

Rising income inequality has eroded the ability for American children to grow up to earn more than their parents, according to a new study from a team of researchers that could carry deep implications for President-elect Donald Trump's policy agenda.

The research from a group led by Stanford's Raj Chetty, and also including economists and sociologists from Harvard and the University of California at Berkeley, estimates that only half the children born in the 1980s grew up to earn more than their parents did, after adjusting for inflation. That's a drop from 92 percent of children born in 1940.

The fall-off is particularly steep among children born in the middle class, and for those born in several states in the industrial Midwest.
    More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...their-parents/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump's nominee for Labor Secretary will fix that. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...abor-Secretary

More automation!

Trump's tax breaks for the wealthy should help with that "income gap" between the rich and the rest of us too.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-08-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	percent license.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	5440

Name:	Tax_Complexity_Keeps_Piling_Up_Web.png 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	5445

Name:	number-pages-regulations-added-to-federal-register-each-year-1936-2012-projected.png 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	5446

Name:	Governemnt%u00252BSpending%u00252Bas%u00252BPercent%u00252Bof%u00252BGDP%u00252B-%u00252BTotal.png 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	5447

Name:	douradograph1.jpg 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	5448
    Last edited by presence; 12-11-2016 at 10:39 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

I'm guessing people could braid hair in the '50's without taking 1,500 hours worth of a cosmetology course.

Don't be like these zombie consumers. be a producer, make your own economy.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm guessing people could braid hair in the '50's without taking 1,500 hours worth of a cosmetology course.
    I'm sure there's a good reason for requiring a license to braid hair. Probably a safety issue.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Trump's nominee for Labor Secretary will fix that. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...abor-Secretary
    More automation!
    Yes, just think how many more jobs and there would be if

• If they banned computers and made people do all computations with pencil and paper
    • Banned copiers so all copies had to be made by scribes
    • Banned excavators and backhoes so all digging had to be done by hand
    • Banned direct dial on phones so everyone had to call the operator to make a phone call
    • Banned dump trucks and other hauling so all moving would be done workers with wheel barrows
    • Banned robotics so auto sheet metal had to be hammer into shaped by hand and all cars assembled by hand
    • Banned ATMs and direct deposit so you have to go see a live teller every time

Yeah, just ban all progress and technology that makes life easier, faster, more efficient and cheaper.
    Think of the all the jobs Zip.
    Last edited by AZJoe; 12-08-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Trump's tax breaks for the wealthy should help with that "income gap" between the rich and the rest of us too.
    Uh oh. Someone's gone and exposed his pro taxation and class envy side,

because letting people keep and spend their own money for their own benefit as well as the benefit of those who voluntarily exchange goods and services for payment can't possibly be any good for any of them. Nope better to just steal it.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

More automation!

Obama had eight years, what did he do?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

More automation!

More automation is good. You don't understand economics at all.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Yes, just think how many more jobs and there would be if

• If they banned computers and made people do all computations with pencil and paper
    • Banned copiers so all copies had to be made by scribes
    • Banned excavators and backhoes so all digging had to be done by hand
    • Banned direct dial on phones so everyone had to call the operator to make a phone call
    • Banned dump trucks and other hauling so all moving would be done workers with wheel barrows
    • Banned robotics so auto sheet metal had to be hammer into shaped by hand and all cars assembled by hand
    • Banned ATMs and direct deposit so you have to go see a live teller every time

Yeah, just ban all progress and technology that makes life easier, faster, more efficient and cheaper.
    Think of the all the jobs Zip.
    Pretty sure Zip was being snarky, but I'll let him speak for himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I just want to ban grocery store self check out.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy View Post
    When Theye get their minimum wage hike to 20+ FRNs, you're going to get that whether you want it or not.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

The American Dream was always make believe.

Forge your own path.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post

Forge your own path.
    This man speaks the Truth^^

More automation!

You're already blaming trump and he isn't even in office yet.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post

Forge your own path.
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it."
    ~ George Carlin
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

More automation!
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Pretty sure Zip was being snarky, but I'll let him speak for himself.
    Yes. He was being snarky against automation. Hence the response.

More automation!

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

Nothing to see here... move along, conspiracy theorists.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it."
    ~ George Carlin
    Reported.

And yes, Theye have people on the Other Side.

There is no escape.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

We've already lost live tellers in a credit union here.. even inside.. it's an atm looking thing with a skyped in looking teller and a money machine under it.
    I hate it with a seething yellow passion
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    ~ George Carlin
    That is EXACTLY what I was going to post!

Owes a +Rep, someone want to cover me?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    That is EXACTLY what I was going to post!

Owes a +Rep, someone want to cover me?
    gotcha covered
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Sad that in order to 'forge your own path' in this world, one is still forced to 'play the game' as it were. I'm 'playing the game' as much as the next guy.... working my job which I enjoy, eliminating debt, preparing to move to a rural area where I can have my hobby farm and 'unplug' more from the system... Perhaps I simply lack the courage to just jump ship.... or perhaps TPTB have made it virtually impossible to do so.

I just want to be left alone. In peace... but alas, this is not the preferred human condition. Humans much prefer to covet, steal, murder, and fight.

Reminds me of that last line from "The Last Samurai"

"...but I like to think that he at last found some small measure of peace... that all of us search for, and few of us ever find."
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Obama had eight years, what did he do?
    He gave poor americans a fine for not being able to afford health insurance and drone bombed everyone else , got a Peace medal . Nice guy.
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-09-2016 at 06:14 PM.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy View Post
    I do not use it , cannot pay cash.
    Do something Danke

Where I shop you can pay cash. Can't use them for alcohol though (ID issues I guess). They recently doubled the number of lanes for it too. On top of California banning plastic bags so you have to bring your own or pay ten cents each (money supposed to go to some vague "environmental programs"- whatever that means!). Checkout becoming more and more self- service. I noticed that those who bring their own bags usually do their own bagging too.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I do not use it , cannot pay cash.
    The ones I go to you can. Even use coins at the self-checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    The ones I go to you can. Even use coins at the self-checkout.
    Here there are only two groceries that have them and like Sams Club gasoline they are credit or debit only . I would use all of them on occasion probably if I could pay cash .
    Do something Danke

Where I shop you can pay cash. Can't use them for alcohol though (ID issues I guess). They recently doubled the number of lanes for it too. On top of California banning plastic bags so you have to bring your own or pay ten cents each (money supposed to go to some vague "environmental programs"- whatever that means!). Checkout becoming more and more self- service. I noticed that those who bring their own bags usually do their own bagging too.
    I got a cloth bag @ Menards for 1.06 . I could have had the Mrs make me one , but for 1.06 she would have to make it out of scraps to beat that .
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast