Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fremont student says school ignores his claims of being racially bullied

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I guess maybe when we get older we forget how much it mattered to our 12yo self that you had the cool new shoes that light up when you walk on them or what that cute girl that you like thinks about you, or that you have a friend at least one, because everyone else seems to have a friend.
    No, this is what totally superficial and idiotic persons remember and consider important. You, for instance, seem to have forgotten how much it mattered to be raised BY YOUR OWN STINKING PARENTS, not kidnapped by the State thanks to putrescent, disgusting, bleeding-heart do-gooder crooks. Ahh, the thing we remember and forget.

But those shoes!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess maybe when we get older we forget how much it mattered to our 12yo self that you had the cool new shoes that light up when you walk on them or what that cute girl that you like thinks about you, or that you have a friend at least one, because everyone else seems to have a friend.

I don't even know what it would be like to be around a bunch of people your age that never even talked to someone who looked like you, to seem alien to everyone else would be terrifying. It would be like watching the"conservative" party rant and rave about nominating a liberal democrat while your still holding up your Ron Paul sign.
    Cry me a river or two. There were three other Hispanics I can think of at my HS. None of them regularly spoke Spanish (one of them even failed the class, sadly enough). I didn't have shoes that lit up. I didn't have shoes that fit most of the time, since my feet are wide and the only wide width shoes available were out of our price range at the time. I knew precisely what those cute guys I liked thought about me, and it wasn't anything nice. I still had friends at school because I made an effort to maintain those relationships, even though most of them had very little in common with me and I didn't really see them outside of school for that reason. In middle school it was along the same lines, except that it was not the nicest school and I was in the Gifted program. That marked me as warranting a few extra words of discouragement, and a lot of nasty comments about my parentage. The worst part was that "Gifted" at that school was essentially what should have passed for normal curricula at "the good old days" schools. I was in a few fights in school, and I certainly was never particularly popular; most of my friends were the fringe leftovers that ate lunch sitting in the trees, or walked in the rain instead of squealing and running from it like we'd melt.

So I grew up and I started working to afford those wide sneakers. I hardly wear anything else at this point, because there's no need to.

I learned that I really am more comfortable with myself and a good book or a familiar movie than faking enjoyment with a group of people, and I also learned that it isn't a bad way to live.

I realized that those "popular" girls were popular for a reason (one graduated shortly before her due date, I believe), and that the rumors about so-and-so going down on what's-his-name were not really something she'd likely want on her resume. I also noticed that when we were out on the senior class trip and we all had to get into bathing suits to go canoeing and use the Slip-n-Slide, it was those of us that actually had some shape that were getting the twice-over, not the girls who were wearing padded bikinis, with towels around their waists so they could pretend they had hips and butts that were too sexy to be seen. Sometimes you get a more interesting reaction if you're the jeans-and-tee type who has a fantastic reveal in the bedroom or on the beach, rather than the one who lets everything hang out every single day.

I also learned a lot about whether or not I was proud of my personal heritage --- proud enough to deal with a little ostracism. Was I going to calmly stand up for myself and correct misconceptions, or would I be like those others in my HS who pretended not to know anything about family traditions? Did I want to lie to folks and say I didn't speak any Spanish? Did I want to straighten my hair and keep out of the sun (I used to tan at the drop of a hat) and wear blue contacts, like some of my classmates were doing to look less "ethnic"? Or could I be myself and get through it, knowing it wasn't some after school special where everyone would come to realize what a beautiful, diverse, amazing swan I really was? I was still going to be the covered-up latina with latina hair and parents with accents and good grades and the narrow shoes and the ballerina sister and the awkward blink rate (I seriously have never blinked as much as other people; do not get in a staring contest with me) and the shoulder that can dislocate on demand and the birthday that made me a year younger than some in my class.

The people that rise highest, or that seem happiest with their lives, aren't usually the ones who are happiest in school. They're the ones that overcome. That doesn't mean the school should turn a blind eye---especially if the kid in question can provide evidence---but it does mean that sheltering him entirely from words is not likely to lead to success in life.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe you teach kids not to hate others and make people hate themselves. This is what's wrong with this country, people don't care what other people think anymore so they half ass everything. People have no pride in anything they $#@!ing do because they hate themselves.
    I am surprised that one did not suggest the 13 yr old start his own school or hire a private militia along with segregation to take care of the problem. His solution to every problem is segregation. Ofc, kids would always find some one to bully cos there are always kids in the out group that the bullies would pick on. Take all the coloured kids out of the school and the bullies would still find their prey.

I don't get the negative stuff on this thread about the kid.

He's been called names and made fun of continuously; he's is a system he probably can't escape from; he can't "fight" back or he'll be arrested in today's wonderful school system/prison; he's asked for help at the school he goes to; he's been condemned as being the bad guy so he takes matters into his own hands and writes a letter for all that school system to see and he finally gets some notice.

I say good on him for standing up for himself.

All the arguing about the definition of bullying is nonsensical. I had a cousin who was constantly called names and threatened in school. There was no physical contact but she was definitely "bullied". She was afraid to go to school. I think the word "bullied" is definitely overused, but not to realize the fear and personal problems that come when someone is virtually cornered with nowhere to escape, like public school, is not being realistic.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Should I have added the word "cosmic" before Justice to make sure that snowflakes could understand what I wrote?
    Yes, it would have made your meaning clearer. If you care about being clear.

Likewise, in this last post all you had to say is "I agree with you, Helmuth." You did not have to insult me by calling me a snowflake. It's not a very plausible insult, anyway. I certainly don't think of myself as a snowflake, and I don't think anyone else does either, neither here on RPF nor in real life.

Anyway, no big deal. I'm glad that you agree with me, Gunny.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I am surprised that one did not suggest the 13 yr old start his own school or hire a private militia along with segregation to take care of the problem. His solution to every problem is segregation.
    Probably you have me confused with someone else. Though, I have no idea whom! Perhaps someone on some other forum you frequent.

Hope that helps!

Where we would perhaps differ a little, Gunny, is that I don't think there's any particular need for Cosmic Justice either. He got called names (let's stipulate): who cares? It seriously doesn't matter. Even if someone has taunted and name-called him a thousand times, who cares? It seriously is no big deal. Just words. This is like praying for Cismic Justice on everyone who cuts you off in traffic.

These things can be very tough, very, very frustrating, very emotionally difficult, but that's why it's best, and important, to learn to Deal With It. Precisely why.

If it's horrific for a 13 yr old make a couple of typos, what would you call this?

For anyone who missed it. She uses "there's" instead of "there are" in the sentence. Btw, before you got searching for the typos/grammatical errors I have made, don't bother cos I would be the first to admit that I have made and will continue to make typos and grammatical errors. But unlike some people, I do not think it is the end of the world to make one.
    If I were writing a formal letter, I would probably bother to proofread it. If I were pleading my case to people, I would bother to proofread it. If I were posting to an internet forum at 10:30 at night to a bunch of people who normally aren't bothered to read, I wouldn't bother to proofread it. This may be incredibly difficult to comprehend, but a formal letter is not the same as an internet post.

I apologize formally for my offensive comment. I am sure the young man typically expresses himself in an astoundingly erudite fashion, and that I am entirely mistaken in placing so much emphasis on his words. Perhaps, since words are not that important, he will take that lesson to heart and realize that those people calling him a "black piece of $#@!" might have ingested too much Pepto Bismol and know not what they speak of, at which point he can ignore their words and forgive them, just as I know you can come to forgive me in time.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Yes, it would have made your meaning clearer. If you care about being clear.

Likewise, in this last post all you had to say is "I agree with you, Helmuth." You did not have to insult me by calling me a snowflake. It's not a very plausible insult, anyway. I certainly don't think of myself as a snowflake, and I don't think anyone else does either, neither here on RPF nor in real life.

Anyway, no big deal. I'm glad that you agree with me, Gunny.
    If you didn't want to expose yourself to being called a snowflake, then you probably should have given it some consideration before implying that I would prosecute a kid for bad words. Despite my historic penchant for the verbal dagger, you will find I have a revulsion to drawing first blood. The political absurdity of late has also robbed me of my filters, and of every last givea$#@! I ever toted.

If you are going to draw a sword and pick someone in the ass with it, then you don't get to whine when they spin around and put their mark back on you. If you wanted it civil, I would have suggested keeping the rapier sheathed from the start.

Oddly enough, this relevant item popped up right after that last post:

Dear Amy: I am responding to various comments regarding the wisdom of letting an adolescent watch the movie “The Exorcist.” You seem to think it is a fairly benign choice.

My husband had the same attitude and let our 13-year-old son watch this movie when it showed up on TV one night (he assumed it had been edited; it had not).

This movie traumatized our son. He was extremely fearful for months.

We ended up seeking medical and then therapeutic help for him, and after exploring all of the possibilities, everyone concluded this movie was actually the culprit. My son is now in his late 20s, and when I shared your point of view with him, he completely disagreed with you.
    This is where we are headed. I'm not sure how we survived this long.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    It's because he's acted like a loser and a sissy. He has not done himself any favors, believe me. Oh, the respect he'll be shown at school now!

He has essentially gone crying to Mommy, in a half-illiterate letter. It's an embarrassment. It's a humiliation for his entire extended family.

If this is what counts as "standing up for one's self" in the modern world, count me out.

Count me out anyway, of course.

lol, no. I am from the Bay Area, not that far from Fremont. There is NO $#@!ING WAY a Bay Area school had this kind of racial bullying and didn't immediately try absolutely everything to put a stop to it. After Trump was elected, local colleges put up pictures of women in hijabs with a caption that read "Everyone is welcome here". The idea that a Vice Principal would just sit back with indifference is sheer nonsense. This kid is just a troublemaker.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    If you didn't want to expose yourself to being called a snowflake, then you probably should have given it some consideration before implying that I would prosecute a kid for bad words. Despite my historic penchant for the verbal dagger, you will find I have a revulsion to drawing first blood. The political absurdity of late has also robbed me of my filters, and of every last givea$#@! I ever toted.

If you are going to draw a sword and pick someone in the ass with it, then you don't get to whine when they spin around and put their mark back on you. If you wanted it civil, I would have suggested keeping the rapier sheathed from the start.
    Oh, I'm not whining! Just saying, if you want to label me and have it stick, you should think it through more. Come up with a good one (ala... oh, never mind!). That's all!

I did not intend to "imply" that you wanted to prosecute anyone! I really didn't. No more than I would imply that you want force the haters to pretend they don't hate. I was just thinking out loud, of what would "justice" look like.

So, like I say, no worries. No big deal. You made a Great clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    If I were writing a formal letter, I would probably bother to proofread it. If I were pleading my case to people, I would bother to proofread it. If I were posting to an internet forum at 10:30 at night to a bunch of people who normally aren't bothered to read, I wouldn't bother to proofread it. This may be incredibly difficult to comprehend, but a formal letter is not the same as an internet post.
    That was very unfortunate that you standing on you very high horse made that rather simple error but that's OK, you were just writing to the forum and didn't see the need to proofread. Yes, I know there is a difference between formal letters and posts on RPF. But has it ever occurred to you that a 13 yr old boy may not have perfected the art of proofreading? And yes, proofreading can be hard at times especially when the brain has the ability to auto correct wrongly spelled words as you read. This is why you are able to read this paragraph even though the words have the wrong spellings.

The huamn mnid is so pufowerl it can dcodee tihs txet eevn tguohh eervy sglnie wrod is slepled iocenrtclry. The one cavaet is taht the frist and lsat lertets are pervresed in erevy wrod. Cidrgbame Uitesirnvy cetoudncd a sduty and fnuod taht the biarn deos not raed eevry snlige lteetr, but wodrs as a wohle.

I apologize formally for my offensive comment. I am sure the young man typically expresses himself in an astoundingly erudite fashion, and that I am entirely mistaken in placing so much emphasis on his words. Perhaps, since words are not that important, he will take that lesson to heart and realize that those people calling him a "black piece of $#@!" might have ingested too much Pepto Bismol and know not what they speak of, at which point he can ignore their words and forgive them, just as I know you can come to forgive me in time.
    Please do not apologize to me cos I am not offended, I am just perplexed by your overreaction to the typos by a 13 yr old boy. And again, I am not saying that words do not matter, what I am saying is that a few typos by a 13 yr old is not the end of the world. Boys tend to master language skills slower than girls but with time his ability to proofread would improve and the errors reduced.

No, this is what totally superficial and idiotic persons remember and consider important. You, for instance, seem to have forgotten how much it mattered to be raised BY YOUR OWN STINKING PARENTS, not kidnapped by the State thanks to putrescent, disgusting, bleeding-heart do-gooder crooks. Ahh, the thing we remember and forget.

But those shoes!
    Everything is important when you are young and know nothing. Everything is important when you haven't had all of your hopes and dreams smashed. You don't even know the permanence of your own death until you are like 10 or something. When you are a kid you don't know how large the world is, you can't think outside of your own box, its a figure of speech- it means you don't know everything and to be human is to open your mind to consider something you never thought was possible because someone else thought of it and shared their thoughts, its about the most human thing there is.

Probably you have me confused with someone else. Though, I have no idea whom! Perhaps someone on some other forum you frequent.

Hope that helps!
    Sometimes I confuse you with Paleolib but this time I made sure to separate the two. Thanks for trying to help but I think I am responding to the right person

Sometimes I confuse you with Paleolib but this time I made sure to separate the two. Thanks for trying to help but I think I am responding to the right person
    Hmm. Well, an advanced search of my user name in combination with the word segregation, along with a careful reading of the post I would guess comes up would probably disabuse you.

IIRC, in my thread single-handedly solving all America's decay problems, I mentioned segregation of boys and girls in relation to having boys' schools and girls' schools -- a perfectly wholesome, wonderful thing! -- and you, or someone else, misunderstood and thought I was talking about racial segregation. I didn't correct you, because, well, I just don't care that much! I thought it was embarrassing for you (or whoever it was).

Hmm. Well, an advanced search of my user name in combination with the word segregation, along with a careful reading of the post I would guess comes up would probably disabuse you.

IIRC, in my thread single-handedly solving all America's decay problems, I mentioned segregation of boys and girls in relation to having boys' schools and girls' schools -- a perfectly wholesome, wonderful thing! -- and you, or someone else, misunderstood and thought I was talking about racial segregation. I didn't correct you, because, well, I just don't care that much! I thought it was embarrassing for you (or whoever it was).
    If we are being technical, I have never actually accused you of advocating for racial segregation. It was implied in my post just like the way your types imply support for racial segregation.

This is an internet forum where its OK to make typos and talk about your pubic hair. I think you have to try harder in order to embarrass me

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Everything is important when you are young and know nothing. Everything is important when you haven't had all of your hopes and dreams smashed. You don't even know the permanence of your own death until you are like 10 or something. When you are a kid you don't know how large the world is, you can't think outside of your own box, its a figure of speech- it means you don't know everything and to be human is to open your mind to consider something you never thought was possible because someone else thought of it and shared their thoughts, its about the most human thing there is.
    Oh thank you for th child psychology gobbledegook. How many children do you have again, NiKKKers?

I mean, not how many have you stolen and ruined their family's lives. How many have you legitimately borne?

And you're the big expert.

Riiiight.

Expert in somethin'.

If we are being technical, I have never actually accused you of advocating for racial segregation. It was implied in my post
    Umm, Whatever!

Very, very Nice Try!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    lol, no. I am from the Bay Area, not that far from Fremont. There is NO $#@!ING WAY a Bay Area school had this kind of racial bullying and didn't immediately try absolutely everything to put a stop to it. After Trump was elected, local colleges put up pictures of women in hijabs with a caption that read "Everyone is welcome here". The idea that a Vice Principal would just sit back with indifference is sheer nonsense. This kid is just a troublemaker.
    I'm also from the Bay Area and yes, there is.
    There is no spoon.

That was very unfortunate that you standing on you very high horse made that rather simple error but that's OK, you were just writing to the forum and didn't see the need to proofread. Yes, I know there is a difference between formal letters and posts on RPF. But has it ever occurred to you that a 13 yr old boy may not have perfected the art of proofreading? And yes, proofreading can be hard at times especially when the brain has the ability to auto correct wrongly spelled words as you read. This is why you are able to read this paragraph even though the words have the wrong spellings.

Please do not apologize to me cos I am not offended, I am just perplexed by your overreaction to the typos by a 13 yr old boy. And again, I am not saying that words do not matter, what I am saying is that a few typos by a 13 yr old is not the end of the world. Boys tend to master language skills slower than girls but with time his ability to proofread would improve and the errors reduced.
    Kinda my whole POV on this thread.
    There is no spoon.

No. No there isn't.

Wow, kiddo. You really should take back that sense of humor for a store credit. The one you got is busted.

Would you apply the same "pass" regarding language skills to the boys allegedly calling him names?

Additionally, that "you can still read this" thing is easily derailed, or do you stears thta oyu loudw lilts fatteneriefdie words mpredisco of tinehorncely melding constanson nad slowve if they slederbem retho moncom burlyvacoa or scondites of more than a leballsy or two?

Of course, the whole thing is more of a numbers game than anything. Those cutesy little "you can still read this!" emails/studies/chain letters add all sorts of restrictions. For instance, the first and last letter have to remain in the correct location (something I did not adhere to), and the words are usually no more than a few letters long. In cases where they are longer, crucial consonant pairings tend to remain the same as in the original word. Some even cheat by pairing vowels together to make the same sound as in the corrected word ("toatl" for "total"). It's akin to the "illusionists" that are really relying on statistics to wind up at a single outcome regardless of your "choices" during their act. If you control the environment and the rules, you can predict the outcome. If someone removes the restrictions (or forgets to mention them during their chastisement of you), the whole thing falls apart.

Have a good night. Goodnight!

Kinda my whole POV on this thread.
    I am just perplexed by your overreaction to the alleged words of a 13 yr old boy. What I am saying is that a few epithets flung by a 13 yr old is not the end of the world.

By the way, I'm fairly sure you joined in on previous threads regarding linguistic pet peeves, so I'm not sure at what age it becomes PC to point out an error, even in a lighthearted way. If one of you gents could educate the rest of us, maybe that would be helpful.

Wow, kiddo. You really should take back that sense of humor for a store credit. The one you got is busted.

Would you apply the same "pass" regarding language skills to the boys allegedly calling him names?

Additionally, that "you can still read this" thing is easily derailed, or do you stears thta oyu loudw lilts fatteneriefdie words mpredisco of tinehorncely melding constanson nad slowve if they slederbem retho moncom burlyvacoa or scondites of more than a leballsy or two?

Of course, the whole thing is more of a numbers game than anything. Those cutesy little "you can still read this!" emails/studies/chain letters add all sorts of restrictions. For instance, the first and last letter have to remain in the correct location (something I did not adhere to), and the words are usually no more than a few letters long. In cases where they are longer, crucial consonant pairings tend to remain the same as in the original word. Some even cheat by pairing vowels together to make the same sound as in the corrected word ("toatl" for "total"). It's akin to the "illusionists" that are really relying on statistics to wind up at a single outcome regardless of your "choices" during their act. If you control the environment and the rules, you can predict the outcome. If someone removes the restrictions (or forgets to mention them during their chastisement of you), the whole thing falls apart.

Have a good night. Goodnight!
    Don't worry about my humor, the people that really matter to me think I am quite hilarious. No way, I returning a product in excellent condition just because one person I would probably never meet on the internet thinks it is broken.

I also would have given the same pass to the bullies, no way I would have pointed out the few typos like you did. In fact, the day you see me being a grammar nazi is the day you know my account has been taken over by someone else. I think the only time I have ever corrected someone about grammar was when a user was spelling Dr. Ron Paul with lower case letters. That I see as a sign of disrespect and I nicely asked the user to stop doing it.

The point about the misspelled words is to show that if the spelling error is close enough to the intended word, the brain can overlook the error and interpret the correct word. That is why there are rules that triggers this auto correct process in the brain. So yea, jumbling the letters well enough and the brain auto correct would not be able to read the sentence. I really don't see how what you posted derails anything that I said.

Goodnight to you too

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am just perplexed by your overreaction to the alleged words of a 13 yr old boy. What I am saying is that a few epithets flung by a 13 yr old is not the end of the world.

By the way, I'm fairly sure you joined in on previous threads regarding linguistic pet peeves, so I'm not sure at what age it becomes PC to point out an error, even in a lighthearted way. If one of you gents could educate the rest of us, maybe that would be helpful.
    That's funny.

If anything I'm reacting to your overreaction.
    There is no spoon.

Yeah and when I was a kid there were "****" everywhere, someone cut you in line? ***!- and that was only us kids. The older generations were far worse- my mom would stub her toe or make a mistake and drop the N- word all of the time, not for racist reasons, it was just her favorite curse word. Stub her toe, drop something and she would yell it out. It wasn't until the 2000's when PC culture really peaked and she started saying nickers. I don't think think this has to do with cultivating hypersensitivity, I think it was always there but people are talking about it more openly. There's a reason why the new first lady wants to put an end to bullying.
    Are you saying that your username is way to say the n-word?

He's been called names and made fun of continuously; he's is a system he probably can't escape from; he can't "fight" back or he'll be arrested in today's wonderful school system/prison; he's asked for help at the school he goes to; he's been condemned as being the bad guy so he takes matters into his own hands and writes a letter for all that school system to see and he finally gets some notice.

I say good on him for standing up for himself.

All the arguing about the definition of bullying is nonsensical. I had a cousin who was constantly called names and threatened in school. There was no physical contact but she was definitely "bullied". She was afraid to go to school. I think the word "bullied" is definitely overused, but not to realize the fear and personal problems that come when someone is virtually cornered with nowhere to escape, like public school, is not being realistic.
    His complaint is valid. It's use by the leftist media is not valid.

Uh, this makes perfect sense in the Bay Area. The only people that can be "racist" are white people. When people of other designations do this, it is swept under the rug.

Agree. See above.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Uh, this makes perfect sense in the Bay Area. The only people that can be "racist" are white people. When people of other designations do this, it is swept under the rug.
    Are the bullies in this case non-white?

Are the bullies in this case non-white?
    Yes. Read the entire thread.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast