Thread: The power of positive thinking

The power of positive thinking

The power of positive thinking: Optimism can fend off cancer, heart disease and infection for EIGHT years

By Harry Pettit For Mailonline

Published: 16:00 EST, 7 December 2016

Having a more positive outlook on life may help people live longer.

A new study has revealed that women who are optimistic are less likely to die from cancer, heart disease, stroke, infection, and several other major causes of death.

The positive health effects for the women were shown to last over eight years.

The researchers suggest that public health professionals should begin pushing positivity in patients alongside a healthy diet and exercise.

'The link between optimism and health is important to study because it can be changed, and so can easily help people,' Social and Behavioural Sciences expert Dr Eric Kim, lead-author of the study, told MailOnline.

'It's something that not many people think about.'

'A lot of modern healthcare is about sick care and not optimism.

'But actually by enhancing patients' optimism, as well as their diet and exercise regime, we could see plenty of health benefits,' he said.

Though the study only investigated women's health, the researchers say that their results likely apply to men as well.

And Dr Kim has some tips to leading a more optimistic life.

'Good optimistic habits include writing down everything kind you have done for other people, or writing down everything you're grateful for every day for a week,' he told MailOnline.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...GHT-years.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

5 Big Problems with Positive Thinking (And Why You Should Do It Anyway)

http://psychologyofwellbeing.com/201...it-anyway.html

by Jeremy McCarthy on October 5, 2010 in Positive Psychology

For years, the hype about the “power of positive thinking” as a way to find wealth, success, love, friendships, health and longevity has been steadily increasing. But before you drink the happiness kool-aid, consider these five big problems with positive thinking:

1. It could be used to make the unwell feel worse. In her book, “Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking Is Undermining America,” Barbara Ehrenreich speaks about her personal bout with cancer. In her experience, the positive thinking movement leads people who are having hard times to believe they have brought it upon themselves (perhaps because they did not think happy enough thoughts.) When someone is hurt, injured, or sick, anger and sadness are rational emotions for people to have. Even among healthy populations, psychologists are finding that trying to be happy can make you miserable.

2. The public consumption of happiness prescriptions far outstrips the research. The media jumps on snippets of research suggesting that happiness leads to greater health and longevity. They do this because the “don’t worry be happy” message is appealing to consumers. Everyone wants to believe they could have greater control over their lives by simply changing the way they think. Research that supports this idea gets promoted loudly and widely. Non-scientist consumers mistakenly judge the findings based on the amplitude of the exposure, rather than on the strength of the research.

3. It could be used to manipulate the work force. Another valid criticism of positive thinking is that it is a convenient tool for governments and corporations to control the minds of the masses. Encouraging people to maintain a happy outlook in the face of less-than-ideal conditions is a good way of keeping citizens under control in spite of severe societal problems, or keeping employees productive while keeping pay and benefits low.

4. It ignores “psychological flexibility.” Psychological flexibility is the ability to tap into the psychological resources that we have at the times when we most need them. This theory rejects the notion that we should all be striving for greater optimism and more positive thinking styles. Rather, we should be grooming our understanding of when it is best to use optimism and when is it best to use pessimism. All of our emotions serve us in some way, so rather than focusing on positive emotions, we should use the entire spectrum of emotional responses that we have at our disposal, continually improving our abilities to use the right ones in the right situations.

5. It’s annoying. “Pollyanna.” “Do-gooder.” “Goody two shoes.” These are just some of the disparaging nicknames that we have for people who annoy us with their positivity. Sometimes we enjoy the cathartic relief of seeing that other people are just as miserable as we are, or even the perverse schadenfreude joy we get when watching other people fail. Being too positive could make those around us feel worse about themselves—and probably send them looking for other, more cynical friends.

These are all valid criticisms of positive thinking, and they should be taken into consideration. But here’s why I think positivity still wins in the end:

1. It could help make the sick well. There is enough evidence linking happiness to health, immunity and longevity to make us take happiness seriously.

2. The research is new but growing. Although the research on positive emotions is far less compelling than you might believe as you stroll through the “self-help” section of the bookstore, there is enough evidence accumulating to suggest that positive emotions, using strengths, expressing gratitude and connecting with others are all generally good for us. Psychologists will be working out the details for centuries to come.

3. I’d rather be happy. Although happiness interventions could be used for manipulative purposes, chances are they would no longer work. I want my employer and my government to be concerned for my psychological wellbeing.

4. A little positivity is needed to balance our inherent negativity bias. I am in full agreement with the concept of psychological flexibility. And we shouldn’t turn our backs on negative emotions. But people tend to notice the negative sooner and stay on it longer (an evolutionary tool that came in handy when stress signaled matters of life or death.) While staying flexible and in tune with our full spectrum of emotions, a conscious effort to let negative thoughts go and linger on positive ones can counteract our biases and bring us more peace.

5. Negative people are annoying too. “Debbie Downer.” “Negative Nellie” “Whiner.” “Victim.” “Energy Vampire.” These are some of the epithets for people who spend too much time on the dark side. There are ways to be positive without being annoying. When people are kind, funny, compassionate, inspiring, and optimistic they draw others to them and bring out the best in those around them.

There are big problems with positive thinking–it is not “the secret” holy grail of success in life. Mindlessly pursuing happiness is a pathway to disappointment. That being said, you can remain positive without falling into the traps listed above. A recent NewScientist article, “How to be happy (but not too much)” does a good job of sharing research that guides us along this middle path of a healthy happiness. I like to think of it as tilting toward the positive: remaining mindful, aware, curious and appreciative . . . and keeping a smile on your face.

References and recommended reading:

Ehrenreich, B. (2010). Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking Is Undermining America. Picador.

Fredrickson, B. (2009). Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive. Crown Archetype.

Jones, D. (September 28, 2010). How to be happy (but not too much). NewScientist, 2779 (from http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-too-much.html.)

Kinda makes me glad I'm not intelligent. I don't mean that as a put down on myself, btw. It's just not my gift.

6 Reasons Why Intelligent People Fail to Be Happy

1. Intelligent people overanalyze everything

Many people with a high IQ tend to be overthinkers who constantly analyze everything happening in their life and beyond. This can be draining at times, especially when your thinking processes take you to undesirable, frustrating conclusions.

Have you heard the saying, ‘Ignorance is bliss’? It surely is – the less you understand, the more carefree and, therefore, happy you are. Being able to read people’s true selves and hidden motives is enough to make you feel disappointed with the whole world sometimes. Not even mentioning the feelings that come along with the reflection on philosophical matters, global issues and life’s timeless dilemmas that have no solutions.

2. Intelligent people have high standards

Smart people know what they want and don’t settle for less than that, no matter what area of life we are talking about. This means that it’s more difficult for them to be satisfied with their achievements, relationships and literally everything that has a place in their life.

Moreover, many people with brilliant theoretical minds happen to have poor practical intelligence and somehow idealistic views of the world. So when their expectations face the raw reality of life and other people, it inevitably leads to disappointment.

3. Intelligent people are too hard on themselves

Another reason why smart people fail to be happy is that they tend to be too strict with themselves. And here, I’m not talking only about one’s achievements and failures. Intelligent, deep thinking individuals often analyze themselves and their own behavior in such a rigorous manner like if they are intentionally seeking out things to blame themselves for.

Sometimes, you just lie there in your bed trying to fall asleep and suddenly recall a situation (which probably happened years or, at least, months ago) when you didn’t act the way you should have. This is enough to mess with your sleep and spoil your mood. Intelligent people often experience such kind of flashbacks into their past mistakes. All this cultivates guilt, discontent and other negative emotions that can poison one’s happiness.

4. Reality is not enough

People with high IQs never cease to seek something bigger – a pattern, a meaning, a purpose. The deepest and the dreamiest of them don’t stop there – their restless mind and imagination don’t let them just relax and enjoy “the good things in life.” I guess the reality with its trivialities is just too boring for them. Such people crave for something fantastic, idealistic, eternal… and, of course, never find it in the real world.

Have you ever felt like you don’t belong here and should have lived in a different era or maybe on another planet? Deep thinking, highly intelligent people constantly feel this way. How can you be happy when you feel like a stranger to the world you live in?

5. Lack of deep communication and understanding

Being truly understood by someone is one of the greatest experiences a human being can have. How comforting it is to sit with a like-minded person somewhere quiet and have a meaningful conversation, realizing that this person understands your ideas and shares your views of the world… Sadly, intelligent people rarely have this pleasure. Many of them feel alone and misunderstood, like if no one is able to see and appreciate the depth of their minds.

It’s now scientifically confirmed that in order to be happy, individuals with high IQs need less socialization than those with average levels of intelligence. However, it doesn’t mean that smart people don’t crave for human interaction and a good conversation. They simply prefer to talk about fascinating and meaningful things rather than discuss food, weather and one’s plans for the weekend. No need to say that nowadays, it’s particularly difficult to find a person to have a deep conversation with. Thank today’s consumerist and materialist society for that.

6. Many people with a high IQ suffer from psychological problems

There have been many studies that link psychiatric disorders, such as social anxiety and bipolar, with high IQs. Could it be that these conditions are a kind of a side effect of a creative genius and a brilliant mind? Who knows, science is yet to unravel the mysteries of the human mind.

At the same time, the intelligent people who don’t suffer from any mental disorders are still prone to so-called existential depression, which often is a result of excessive thinking. If you are thinking all the time and analyze everything in depth, at some point, you start reflecting on life, death and the meaning of existence. Sometimes, it’s enough to make you want to re-evaluate your own life and, as a result, get sad for no obvious reason.
    http://www.learning-mind.com/fail-to...y-intelligent/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Kinda makes me glad I'm not intelligent. I don't mean that as a put down on myself, btw. It's just not my gift.

Don't worry-just flaunt what you've got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

This isn't news to anyone. Am I a bad person?

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Don't worry-just flaunt what you've got.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This isn't news to anyone. Am I a bad person?
    It doesn't bother me in the least. I'm well aware of my capabilities and limitations. My dad thought I was smart but that I just didn't apply myself - I didn't have the heart to tell him I was applying myself.

Part of it is because I'm sure I have some sort of ADHD. I have a hard time focusing when I have physical energy (self diagnosed from the internet). I can't do anything when I've been cooped up. I can't even sit down and watch tv. It drives Mr Animal nuts because I'll get up in the middle of a movies and go start mopping floors or cleaning something just to move around because I just can't sit there anymore. He doesn't understand but I just can't sit still that long. I have to tire myself out physically in order to be able to concentrate on anything. Luckily, my parents realized that when I was young and kept me in sports.

Edited to add...

I'm a very positive person, though. I only get negative when I'm in a bad mood but they pass pretty quickly. Mostly because Mr Animal and the kids think I'm funny when I'm grumpy and they end up making me laugh. When I get like that, I can't think and end up not making sense.

Last edited by Suzanimal; 12-10-2016 at 05:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Intelligence is relative, these days. It is the people who lack common sense that is worrisome to me. You have common sense, IMHO.

Wisdom in most causes comes with age-- for all the mistakes we made when we were younger, we should have learn from. Wisdom trumps intelligence.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.