Thread: Gen. Mattis: Can Trump Leash His Pentagon 'Mad Dog'?

Gen. Mattis: Can Trump Leash His Pentagon 'Mad Dog'?

Gen. Mattis: Can Trump Leash His Pentagon 'Mad Dog'?

President-elect Trump's choice of Gen. James Mattis to be Defense Secretary has raised more than a few eyebrows. Not only as a military officer in a traditionally civilian position, but also as an executive at a leading defense contractor. His views on Iran are also considered extreme and not grounded in reality. Will the mad dog be leashed?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really like the Mad Dog pick. I think by the time Trump's presidency is over, a lot of people around here will be much happier with the foreign policy direction of the USA.

This is an excellent interview of Mattis. I find his philosophy and pragmatic approach to be admirable.

Key points of his:

-he is submissive to the American public
    -he believes it is his duty as a General (and now Sec. of Def.) to push the politicians making decisions to have CLEAR "End-state" goals for missions and wars. He cites not having clear "win" objectives is why the US has wasted so much time, money and life in 4 failed wars in particular: Vietnam, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan.
    -He believes it is his duty to implore President Trump NOT to go to war under any circumstance unless there is a clear objective in mind to signal it is time to leave.
    - fiscal strength is critical
    I highly suggest watching this interview.

"Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

The Warrior Monk is another of his nick names. He says one way a leader manages to always improve is to read, read, read. He attributes reading as the reason why he has been successful in combat. He can out think his opponent.

"Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Chaos is the freaking man.

I would follow that man to the ends of the earth and back.

He is a true American badass.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

I guess in the grand scheme of the position he is a good pick. The problem arises when the influence and expertise he has translates into leading Trump down a path to hell. The man has hard on for Iran. So if he is not as "reasonable" as others believe, we could jump from one stupid fight into the middle east into an equally horrible alternative. Invading Iran would be a disaster.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined