Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Carson Tapped to Head Housing and Urban Development

Ben Carson Tapped to Head Housing and Urban Development

What experience does a brain surgeon have with their issues though? Didn't he recently say he didn't want a job because he had no experience to offer?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/politi...ry-nomination/

Ben Carson will be nominated as the next secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Trump transition team announced Monday.

"I am thrilled to nominate Dr. Ben Carson as our next Secretary of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development," President-elect Donald Trump said in a statement. "Ben Carson has a brilliant mind and is passionate about strengthening communities and families within those communities."

During their primary fight, though, Trump had derided Carson as "super low energy" and delivered a number of sharp attacks on Twitter, questioning Carson's temperament and qualifications for office.
    The secretary of housing and urban development oversees federal public housing programs and helps formulate policy on homelessness and housing discrimination. As is the case with all cabinet secretaries, Carson needs to be confirmed by the Senate.

Carson had signaled he would be named to the job Wednesday afternoon, posting on Facebook that an announcement about his forthcoming role in the administration.

"After serious discussions with the Trump transition team, I feel that I can make a significant contribution particularly to making our inner cities great for everyone," Carson wrote. "We have much work to do in strengthening every aspect of our nation and ensuring that both our physical infrastructure and our spiritual infrastructure is solid."
    Back on November 15th: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politi...-donald-trump/

Ben Carson declined an offer from President-elect Donald Trump to join his cabinet as Secretary of Health and Human Services, a close Carson adviser told CNN on Tuesday.

Carson confidant Armstrong Williams said the former neurosurgeon and top Trump surrogate will continue to advise Trump from outside the White House but declined Trump's offer to join his administration as a cabinet-level official.

"He's never run an agency and it's a lot to ask. He's a neophyte and that's not his strength," Williams said, despite the fact that Carson vied for the Republican nomination to be the next president of the United States.

Carson had been rumored as a potential pick to head up the Department of Health and Human Services or the Department of Education.
    The Trump transition team did not respond to a request for comment.

Williams told The Hill newspaper, "Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he's never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is an interesting pick considering that Ben's expertise is in the area of medicine.. although he has taken a passing interest in the construction of Egyptian pyramids.

And there could be protests from LGBT movement over this pick:

Ben Carson: Being Gay Is A Choice Because Of Prison Sex [VIDEO]

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    What experience does a brain surgeon have with their issues though? Didn't he recently say he didn't want a job because he had no experience to offer?
    To be fair, perhaps not an expert but he does have common sense understanding of buildings.

He's black and urban residents in need of housing and development are typically black. Looks like he will be Trump's token negro. Sad really.

I was thinking Dept. of Health & Human Services would have been more appropriate. Or Surgeon General.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    He's black and urban residents in need of housing and development are typically black. Looks like he will be Trump's token negro. Sad really.
    He was raised poor and in an urban ghetto, and rose up to become a brain surgeon. Racist. What makes you think you can call people "token negroes" and not be a racist? huh?

Using Those "Gifted Hands" For Housing & Urban Development?

I would've thought Dr. Ben Carson would be tapped for, you know, Surgeon General, seeing as how he is a neurosurgeon, after all...
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    I would've thought Dr. Ben Carson would be tapped for, you know, Surgeon General, seeing as how he is a neurosurgeon, after all...
    He would be just as qualified to run that as he would the HUD. These are bureaucratic appointments, not manual labor jobs. The surgeon general doesn;t do surgery, just like the head of the HUD doesn't do construction.

Trump Can't Be Trusted, Anyway

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    He would be just as qualified to run that as he would the HUD. These are bureaucratic appointments, not manual labor jobs. The surgeon general doesn;t do surgery, just like the head of the HUD doesn't do construction.
    I understand that, UWDude. My point is that Dr. Carson has special expertise in the field of medicine in contrast to housing and urban development. In any case, I really don't trust Trump's appointments because they're all going to be bad for the States and the people. Trump will appoint individuals who believe that America's domestic issues and foreign interests must be solved, first, by federal intervention.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He was raised poor and in an urban ghetto, and rose up to become a brain surgeon. Racist. What makes you think you can call people "token negroes" and not be a racist? huh?
    Because he is Trump's token negro. There is nothing racist about pointing that out, in fact Trump is probably somewhat racist for appointing him to the position. If Carson was a white person, he wouldn't have the job. He isn't qualified for the position, he has no experience in the field. It is a reasonable assumption that he was appointed purely because of his race. Your statement is false. If Carson was raised on a farm does that qualify him to be secretary of agriculture? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I was thinking Dept. of Health & Human Services would have been more appropriate. Or Surgeon General.
    Well if reports are true that he turned down the HHS position; but accepted this one then he must have some agenda in mind for the job and either didn't for the HHS job or had a conflicting agenda for that role.

FWIW, I'm ok with Carson for this post. The idea of having someone in charge of HHS who has said that "being poor is a choice" is excellent.

I'm not sure Carson's actions always match his rhetoric, but this appointment doesn't bother me as much as others. I'm sure he would have gotten a position in a Paul cabinet as well. (I thought he'd get Surgeon General, though.)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Banned

Blog Entries
    Because he is Trump's token negro. There is nothing racist about pointing that out, in fact Trump is probably somewhat racist for appointing him to the position. If Carson was a white person, he wouldn't have the job. He isn't qualified for the position, he has no experience in the field. It is a reasonable assumption that he was appointed purely because of his race. Your statement is false. If Carson was raised on a farm does that qualify him to be secretary of agriculture? I don't think so.
    So carson was not qualified to run for President then?

Did you ever mention Rand's lack of experience when he ran for senate? Afterall, he was just an eye doctor.

Racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    I understand that, UWDude. My point is that Dr. Carson has special expertise in the field of medicine in contrast to housing and urban development. In any case, I really don't trust Trump's appointments because they're all going to be bad for the States and the people. Trump will appoint individuals who believe that America's domestic issues and foreign interests must be solved, first, by federal intervention.
    Trump moves in mysterious ways, to accomplish his work.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Ben carson probably has black friends who have relatives who know people that live in Section 8 housing
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Ben carson probably has black friends who have relatives who know people that live in Section 8 housing
    Ben Carson is the only HUD secretary that has lived in government housing.

Correct. He was the GOP's token negro before he was Trump's.

Did you ever mention Rand's lack of experience when he ran for senate? Afterall, he was just an eye doctor.
    Ridiculous comparison. Representatives are not executives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ben Carson is the only HUD secretary that has lived in government housing.
    Which government housing would that be?
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Ridiculous comparison. Representatives are not executives.
    You'll have to expound more.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Which government housing would that be?
    He didn't, AFAIK. Double checking.

Apparently he lived in "the ghetto" his mother worked three jobs because she refused to be on welfare.
    While a 2011 Success article did cite Carson's family "[settling] for Detroit's downtown housing projects" after moving from Detroit to Boston,
    So he might have lived in the actual projects of Detroit. If not, he certainly lived near them.
    Last edited by UWDude; 12-06-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    People on this board:

"Trump isn't draining the swamp, he is picking insiders"

When Trump appoints Carson

"Trump is picking inexperienced people for the cabinet!"

There will be no pleasing some of you.

People on this board:

Just sour grapes, their gal lost.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Just sour grapes, their gal lost.
    This one sucks because it is exactly the type of Dept that needs shut down .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    This one sucks because it is exactly the type of Dept that needs shut down .
    Have you contacted Trump's team yet about a position in The Bureau of Indian Affairs?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Have you contacted Trump's team yet about a position in The Bureau of Indian Affairs?
    I would love to eliminate that as well as The Bureau of Indian Affairs Police or Division of Law Enforcement Bureau of Indian Affairs, the Dept of Interior , the Bureau of Indian Police Training Academy , the USDA , CIA , BATFE etc.
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Racist.

No, Carson was not qualified to be president. He had no government or leadership experience at all. Running for Senate would have been a good first step for him.

Please continue to play the race card. It's hilarious.

People on this board:

You don't have to be an insider. But you should maybe have some relevant work experience in the field besides "I grew up in da hood" before getting a cabinet level position.

Banned

Blog Entries
    You don't have to be an insider. But you should maybe have some relevant work experience in the field besides "I grew up in da hood" before getting a cabinet level position.
    Sorry (not sorry) Hillary lost, dude. You'll get over it.

Banned

Blog Entries
    No, Carson was not qualified to be president. He had no government or leadership experience at all. Running for Senate would have been a good first step for him.

Please continue to play the race card. It's hilarious.
    Whats the difference between senator and secretary of HUD? What is the big experience differential? What makes the positions so different that you can go form eye doctor to US senator, but not brain surgeon to head of the HUD?

Sorry (not sorry) Hillary lost, dude. You'll get over it.
    Really is that the best you can do? A few posts back I was a racist, now I am liberal?

Whats the difference between senator and secretary of HUD? What is the big experience differential? What makes the positions so different that you can go form eye doctor to US senator, but not brain surgeon to head of the HUD?
    Are you that dense that you can not process the concept that a cabinet level position should require specialized experience in the field?

A senator is a representative of the people. A senator doesn't need specialized experience in any field.

You really should stop posting, you are making a fool of yourself, you already lost when you tried to play the racist card.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast