Thread: Nestle Scientists Find Method to Cut Sugar in Chocolate by 40%

Nestle Scientists Find Method to Cut Sugar in Chocolate by 40%

Nestle SA says it found a way to reduce the amount of sugar in chocolate by as much as 40 percent, a discovery that may give the KitKat maker an edge as food producers face increasing pressure from governments, health advocates and shoppers to make products healthier.

The world’s largest food company has developed a process to alter the structure of sugar that makes it taste sweeter in smaller amounts, according to Chief Technology Officer Stefan Catsicas, who declined to specify what that involves. Nestle will start selling confectionery products made that way in 2018 and will gradually reduce their sugar content, he said in an interview.

Big food companies that also include Mondelez International Inc. and PepsiCo Inc. are scrambling to create healthier products to reduce their reliance on treats laden with sugar and salt. It comes as the U.K., Mexico and some U.S. cities implement sugar taxes to help fight childhood obesity and diabetes, which affects four times as many people now than in 1980. The World Health Organization has said increasing the price of sugary drinks by 20 percent would reduce consumption by a fifth.

“We want people to get used to a different taste, a taste that would be more natural,” Catsicas said. “We really want to be the drivers of the solution.”

Nestle is seeking to patent the sugar-reduction process, which Catsicas wouldn’t describe in detail, but likened to making sugar crystals that are “hollow.” The crystals dissolve more quickly, stimulating the taste buds faster, he said. Unprocessed food has complex structures, which Nestle is trying to mimic by distributing the sugar in a less uniform way.

“If you look with an electron microscope into an apple, that’s exactly what you see,” said Nestle’s top researcher, days before the U.K. government shares details on its proposed sugar tax. “Real food in nature is not something smooth and homogeneous. It’s full of cavities, crests and densities. So by reproducing this variability, we are capable to restore the same sensation.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic..._medium=social
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hocolate-by-40

“We want people to get used to a different taste, a taste that would be more natural,”
    It will taste great, I know.

Maybe Trump will offer them a deal...

“If you look with an electron microscope into an apple, that’s exactly what you see,” said Nestle’s top researcher, days before the U.K. government shares details on its proposed sugar tax. “Real food in nature is not something smooth and homogeneous. It’s full of cavities, crests and densities. So by reproducing this variability, we are capable to restore the same sensation.”
    Artificial Nature strikes again...

$#@! that!

If I'm going to eat Nestles chocolate I want the cane sugar variety..

New and improved rarely is.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    $#@! that!

If I'm going to eat Nestles chocolate I want the cane sugar variety..

New and improved rarely is.
    I will be lower calorie, too and we know how you feel about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I get a "whipped butter" impression from their "hollow sugar crystals".

Hopefully its a mechanical difference; emulsification, etc. and not a chemical difference.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I will be lower calorie, too and we know how you feel about that.
    Chemically treated anything are foodstuffs I can do without.

I'm sure I get enough BS in my diet without intentionally purchasing artificial.

Chemically treated anything are foodstuffs I can do without.
    where are you getting "chemically treated" ?
    Nestle creates 'hollow' sugar to cut calories - wave3.com-Louisville ...

It said it only uses "natural ingredients" and the final product is still sugar, not an artificial sweetener like Splenda.

it sounds to more like a process; powded sugar vs granular; granular vs hollow

seems more like they've managed to emulsify small air bubbles into their chocolate and flash harden it

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    where are you getting "chemically treated" ?

it sounds to more like a process; powded sugar vs granular; granular vs hollow

seems more like they've managed to emulsify small air bubbles into their chocolate and flash harden it
    I'll wait-n-see.

Odds are there's going to be several "emulsifiers" or "stabilizers" that have names that're unpronounceable.

For me simple is best, as close to the way it's grown will remain my preference.

I'll wait-n-see.

Odds are there's going to be several "emulsifiers" or "stabilizers" that have names that're unpronounceable.

For me simple is best, as close to the way it's grown will remain my preference.
    I don't disagree.

But I suspect a product like "whipped butter" "ivory soap" or "bryer's ice cream"; where the consumer pays the same price; the product appears the same size, but you're actually paying for 40% air bubbles instead of chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Maybe Trump will offer them a deal...

Artificial Nature strikes again...

Making candy great again

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Well lessee... chocolate in itself contains little or no sugar, so I must conclude that they are speaking of alternate methods of sweetening. I am not grokking why this is newsworthy.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Ever try a Miracle Berry? Eat one of those and you don't need sugar for things to taste amazingly sweet
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

My jui jitsu buddies got me eating Goji berries with creatine. Try those. They're awesome.

I don't understand how taxing sugar is going to make people loose weight.