Thread: Hacksaw Ridge

Hacksaw Ridge

I finally got around to seeing this movie. It is the tale of Desmond Doss a conscientious objector and Medal of Honor recipient. Pfc. Doss was a Seventh Day Adventist that took God's commandment "Thou Shall Not Kill" to heart. He would not even carry or train in the shooting of a rifle. He acted as a medic and in acts of heroism was credited with saving seventy-five lives during the battle of Okinawa.

This movie is typical of Mel Gibson. For those that have seen Braveheart and liked it chances are you will like this movie also. The travails of the main character in his attempt to serve without fighting are portrayed well. I would caution that the action sequences of the movie are quite detailed and bloody, as was the battle. Be forewarned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I finally got around to seeing this movie. It is the tale of Desmond Doss a conscientious objector and Medal of Honor recipient. Pfc. Doss was a Seventh Day Adventist that took God's commandment "Thou Shall Not Kill" to heart. He would not even carry or train in the shooting of a rifle. He acted as a medic and in acts of heroism was credited with saving seventy-five lives during the battle of Okinawa.

This movie is typical of Mel Gibson. For those that have seen Braveheart and liked it chances are you will like this movie also. The travails of the main character in his attempt to serve without fighting are portrayed well. I would caution that the action sequences of the movie are quite detailed and bloody, as was the battle. Be prepared.
    I've heard great things about this film. I will go see it by myself, methinks. My wife can't stomach a true war movie.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I've heard great things about this film. I will go see it by myself, methinks. My wife can't stomach a true war movie.
    It is extremely graphic and takes up a good half of the movie. But, it really puts into perspective what war was actually like for these men. It truly shows what heroism it took from this man to remain on the battlefield, after his decimated battalion retreated, through the night and into the next day retrieving the wounded single handed.

I always thought he was drafted, but he enlisted voluntarily after Pearl Harbor. That's why they were all like WTF when he refused to train with a rifle. I think it was a big deal among guys that age in a small town to enlist.

One question- did the drill instructors and officers go with the recruits to the war zone after they finish training? It seems like they did it in the film for dramatic purpose, so they could see what they guy they almost kicked out ended up doing for them.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I always thought he was drafted, but he enlisted voluntarily after Pearl Harbor. That's why they were all like WTF when he refused to train with a rifle. I think it was a big deal among guys that age in a small town to enlist.

One question- did the drill instructors and officers go with the recruits to the war zone after they finish training? It seems like they did it in the film for dramatic purpose, so they could see what they guy they almost kicked out ended up doing for them.
    They probably did because after WW1 that unit was designated as a Reserve unit and was not activated back to Regular Army until 1942 and spent 1943 training and filling the Roster . In the 20's and 30's as a Reserve unit they did the Rotc training for College of the City of New York and New York University. Back then the unit patch was the Statue of Liberty and did up to 1965 .
    Do something Danke