Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Edit] Flag Burning - Trump going after the first amendment

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    There will not be a law banning flag burning. Trump is trolling.
    I think I'll just put this right here....

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I'm still frankly lost as to exactly how "he's just lying about that stuff" is actually supposed to be any better?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Title edited on a first amendment post. How Ironic.

LOL

Liberty is slipping FAST

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Depends upon who owns the flag being burned...
    And that turns out to be a relevant point. The media is being totally misleading about this. Lies by omission.

They talked about it on CNN with a legal expert. Apparently it was spurred by college students who pulled down a school flag and burned it. The entire narrative is that it was totally OK for them to do this, as it is protected by the First Amendment.

Wrong! The relevant point being ignored is that it wasn't THEIR flag. They engaged in vandalism and destruction of property. That is punishable. This has been ignored by the entire media.

They are completely protected by the First Amendment if they want to burn a flag that they own.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 11-29-2016 at 04:57 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I think I'll just put this right here....

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom
    I'm still frankly lost as to exactly how "he's just lying about that stuff" is actually supposed to be any better?
    Well, again, as I posted in response to Gunny, it's unbelievably, pretty much infinitely, better, for anyone who might want to burn a flag to express themselves.

Tweeting out some things doesn't violate anyone's rights.

Locking people in jail for a year for safely burning their own property: does.

So for the country, it's better -- much better! -- if this is just yet another trap for the media (as it almost certainly is), vs. if such a prohibition were to actually become law.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    Title edited on a first amendment post. How Ironic.

LOL

Liberty is slipping FAST
    Quit your whining. Title was edited because it was not descriptive enough.

Thread title guideline:

Enter title below.
    Be descriptive, do not use unverified information, vulgar language or otherwise be sensationalist.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quit your whining. Title was edited because it was not descriptive enough.
    His name was changed. nice try

must be a relative of reddit

From The Ron Paul Liberty Report:

What Everyone Missed At The Flag-Burning Circus
    11/29/2016

By Chris Rossini

Donald Trump has once again shown his mastery of dominating a news cycle. Today, the President-elect published an absurd tweet about jailing or revoking the citizenship of someone who burns a flag! Very predictably, the mainstream media jumped up like a pack of Pavlovian dogs and went all in on the story.

America was thus destined for a day where right-wingers told us that Hillary supports the same thing as Trump, while lefties (hilariously) waxed poetic about "The Constitution." The Washington Post added to the circus by putting out the headline: "It's time to ban Trump from Twitter".

While the blind continue to lead the blind, one is hard-pressed in locating the peaceful libertarian stance on flag-burning.

Fortunately, we have the eloquent words of the late Murray Rothbard in times like these:

Keeping our eye on property rights, the entire flag question is resolved easily and instantly. Everyone has the right to buy (or weave) and therefore own a piece of cloth in the shape and design of an American flag (or in any other design) and to do with it what he will: fly it, burn it, defile it, bury it, put it in the closet, wear it, etc. Flag laws are unjustifiable violations of the rights of private property...

On the other hand, no one has the right to come up and burn your flag, or someone else's. That should be illegal, not because a flag is being burned, but because the arsonist is burning your property without your permission. He is violating your property rights.

Note the way in which the focus on property rights solves all recondite issues.

Can it get any easier than liberty and private property?

Peace and the non-aggression principle are simple to comprehend. Live and let live. I keep my hands off of you and your stuff, and you keep your hands off me and my stuff.

No PhD's in "political science" required.

But alas, the ideas of power, violence, coercion and force continue to dominate.

That really needs to change.
    http://www.ronpaullibertyreport.com/...burning-circus
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    tyrants gonna tyrant
    Goons gonna goon...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Depends upon who owns the flag being burned...
    Bingo... My flag, my fire...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

While everyone was arguing about the flag, Goldman Sachs visited Trump today to tell him who his SecTreas will be. And hold on to your hats....it's an ex-Goldmanite!

Distraction 101. #MAGA (Make America Goldmans Again)
    Last edited by devil21; 11-29-2016 at 05:50 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Hell, I would not waste my money on a damn flag, much less waste my time and lighter fuel to burn one.

President Troll - How comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    While everyone was arguing about the flag, Goldman Sachs visited Trump today to tell him who his SecTreas will be. And hold on to your hats....it's an ex-Goldmanite!

Both are pretty $#@!ing big deals. I wouldn't exactly call this a distraction.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    I love it. The only people who find this wrong are lefty loons. OP did you show any indignation to protests against Trump or violence against his supporters?

If no, then this law is a present for YOU.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    You really have absolutely no concept of liberty whatsoever do you?
    Doesn't look like it, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    Hell, I would not waste my money on a damn flag, much less waste my time and lighter fuel to burn one.

President Troll - How comforting.
    Expect a lot of this sort of thing when Trump (administration) is doing something they don't want the cybersphere to pay attention to. President Troll, trolling the masses with emotional red meat via Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Both are pretty $#@!ing big deals. I wouldn't exactly call this a distraction.
    It is a big deal at face value but just another thing to keep the people arguing with each other instead of watching what he's up to. It's absolutely no coincidence this junk was posted to Twitter the same day Trump meets with Goldman, ostensibly being told who his SecTreas will be and appointing a billionaire SecCommerce (also a Goldman directive, I'm sure...from CNBC article: "Before starting his own firm, Wilbur Ross led Rothschild's bankruptcy practice for 25 years."). So the moral is whenever he trolls with junk like this, watch what the other hand is doing. He sure likes appointing other billionaires, doesn't he? Real heartland types...
    Last edited by devil21; 11-29-2016 at 06:20 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

If hes a trollin, id prefer the president elect not to troll. Haha. Itd be like me, standing in middle of the room with a flame thrower bein like, in monotone, "Im going to burn you all to death." And some of you bein like, "hes just trollin..." Also, such a ban is probably the one thing that would make me want to burn a flag. Such symbols usually dont interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by BV2 View Post
    If hes a trollin, id prefer the president elect not to troll. Haha. Itd be like me, standing in middle of the room with a flame thrower bein like, in monotone, "Im going to burn you all to death." And some of you bein like, "hes just trollin..." Also, such a ban is probably the one thing that would make me want to burn a flag. Such symbols usually dont interest me.
    Instead of "trolling", you can call it what it is - lying. He has been a pathological liar his whole life, promising the world and delivering nothing. The guy who wrote The Art of the Deal for him was shocked at how much he would just blatantly lie, but we saw it during the whole campaign. He promised thousands of jobs (6,000 if I recall correctly) for Scotland if they would hand over their nature to him to build a golf course over, and delivered only 95. He would talk like the biggest immigration hawk in the room, then behind closed doors with the NYT, present a much milder position. He said he would put Hillary in jail but what ever happened to that? These are things he got people believing in. Trolling with regards to policies that people take at face value is lying.

Trump is a big fat liar.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

I think he is a cheato. Always have, always eill. Im still on that nobp $#@!. That might make me irrelevant, but id rather be irrelevant than relevant to a travesty.

And that turns out to be a relevant point. The media is being totally misleading about this. Lies by omission.

They talked about it on CNN with a legal expert. Apparently it was spurred by college students who pulled down a school flag and burned it. The entire narrative is that it was totally OK for them to do this, as it is protected by the First Amendment.

Wrong! The relevant point being ignored is that it wasn't THEIR flag. They engaged in vandalism and destruction of property. That is punishable. This has been ignored by the entire media.

They are completely protected by the First Amendment if they want to burn a flag that they own.
    Thank you for the clarification, Brian.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Tell that to Trump. Read his tweet. Read it again. Maybe again. this is about his position not the media.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

The tweet is pretty clear. If it were the fact that property was destroyed that provoked Trump's orange hot ire, then the tweet might read,"consequences for destroying other people's $#@!." We would all of agree and be into page 4 of a circle jerk by now. And that isnt how it reads

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Im sorry, but if you thought this silver spoon fed orangutan was going to be good for the little guy, liberty, or textile workers everywhere, you were sooooòofa king wrong.

and yet Democrats will say burning the Gay Pride flag or the Mexican flag or displaying the Confederate Flag is hate speech and should be punished.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    and yet Democrats will say burning the Gay Pride flag or the Mexican flag or displaying the Confederate Flag is hate speech and should be punished.
    Welcome to the chamber of the hypocrites.

True. But the dems are done. They are out of power and irrelevant until at least the next election.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Tell that to Trump. Read his tweet. Read it again. Maybe again. this is about his position not the media.
    Oh, I know what Trump tweeted and that he is wrong.

Have you watched the network coverage that I have and what they have discussed?

The tweet is pretty clear. If it were the fact that property was destroyed that provoked Trump's orange hot ire, then the tweet might read,"consequences for destroying other people's $#@!." We would all of agree and be into page 4 of a circle jerk by now. And that isnt how it reads
    Revocation of citizenship is an appropriate punishment for destruction of property? Not that he could make it so, but that IS what he said...

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    There will not be a law banning flag burning. Trump is trolling.
    Also, because he is president, not 500+ members of Congress and 5 Supreme Court justices.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelrv View Post
    I think people are taking him too literal. I simply took it as Trump trolling the media and protesters, not as something serious. The protesters will now come out and start flag burning in protest to him, making them look anti-American and crazy. It gets them to protest the idea, then the revelation comes that Hillary supported what they're protesting against, making them experience cognitive dissonance. They fell right into Trump's trap. I find it hilarious.
    How does protesting in support of the 1st Amendment, against someone who wants to ignore it as President, make one look "anti american and crazy"?

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    wow...you must be the only person i know who has NEVER lied...

amazing.
    Did he say he never lied? Did he imply, in ANY WAY, he never lied? Oh, no?
    That's weird. Why did you act as if he did?

Trumpster Strategy: Put words in the mouths of others and then attack them for "saying" them.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

And many are saying it was intentionally controversial to distract from his awful cabinet picks today. Mission accomplished.

It's exactly the same position just mirrored. Trumpkins are equivalent to SJWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post

Treasury Pick Bet on Trump and Won
    Mnuchin, a former Goldman Sachs executive turned Hollywood financier, was Trump’s campaign finance chairman
    By Anupreeta Das and Rachel Louise Ensign - Nov. 29, 2016

Steven Mnuchin built his career sniffing out undervalued assets and converting them into massive profits. But perhaps his greatest trade just came in the political arena.

Mr. Mnuchin, a 53-year-old former Goldman Sachs Group Inc. banker turned Hollywood financier, parlayed a six-month stint as Donald Trump’s campaign-finance chairman into the president-elect’s pick to be Treasury secretary.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-pl...ary-1480459950

...They are completely protected by the First Amendment if they want to burn a flag that they own.
    Ah come on Brian. You know that slaves can't own property.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast