Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Thomas Massie to head Trump's Science and Technology office

Thumbs down Rumor: Thomas Massie to head Trump's Science and Technology office

There have been rumors going around about Thomas Massie potentially getting appointed to the head of the government's Science and Technology position under the Trump administration.

This would be a very bad thing and here is why...

1- There are not enough people like him in Congress. Until we get a few more to fill his shoes, this would leave a huge gap

2- Thomas is the guy responsible for booting Boehner.

3- Thomas has single handily stopped lots of legislation from becoming law through unanimous consent.

4- There is a good chance Thomas could become a US Senator in the future. Giving up a Congressional seat could hurt this

5- In the new position, he would have to answer to Reince Preibus. Currently, the only people he answers to are his constituents.

6- Many times, these sort of "promotions" are a thinly veiled attempt to remove someone from an actual position of power to a percieved position of power. Not saying that is what is happening here, but it could be, especially given #2, 3, 4, and 5 above.

7- This office probably shouldn't exist under the Constitution anyway. Yes I know it is better to have a liberty minded person in charge of this however there simply aren't enough liberty politicians to go around as of yet. Losing him in Congress would be a huge detriment (see #1)
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I agree Matt. Its a horrible idea.

He's better off staying in Congress
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

There's a lot of NEW House of Representatives coming in. There should be a few as good as Massie.

Ummmm.....that's a powerful position. I hope its true and I hope he takes it. He could expose climate change for what it truly is and a lot more. Open up real clean energy options. Screw congress....this position is a game changer and a direct hit to the globalists. I'm giddy at the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    There's a lot of NEW House of Representatives coming in. There should be a few as good as Massie.
    Really? Like who? Massie is arguably the closest thing to Ron Paul in the American government today.

I'm confident that Thomas will be calling you for advice ASAP, Matt.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd rather him stay where he is at also.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'd rather him stay where he is at also.
    Maybe he could just take the position for a day, and then abolish it.

Trump is getting him out of the way so they can get a typical Republican in his seat. Draining the swamp and all that. If Rand would take a worthless position I bet Trump would offer him one too.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Maybe he could just take the position for a day, and then abolish it.
    But he would lose his seat. And could he abolish it? I'm thinking not. I like Thomas where he is at. I'm with Matt, God I can't believe I just wrote that, in that Massie and other liberty candidates need to be careful regarding appointments.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    Trump is getting him out of the way so they can get a typical Republican in his seat. Draining the swamp and all that. If Rand would take a worthless position I bet Trump would offer him one too.
    what?

Don't. You. Dare. Thomas.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

"Really? Like who? Massie is arguably the closest thing to Ron Paul in the American government today. "

I really don't know & believe me I think Massie is fantastic.

Believe there was 43 retirees..

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    This argument could work, if they had been floating Rand's name for some weak position too - considering he wields a lot more power than Massie. Maybe Trump feels Rand is more valuable in the Senate, and Massie would be more valuable in this position.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It'd also link him forever to environmental issues. It's a hot-button issue, and has a lot of single-issue voters around it, and he should avoid being dragged solely into the climate change arena.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    It'd also link him forever to environmental issues. It's a hot-button issue, and has a lot of single-issue voters around it, and he should avoid being dragged solely into the climate change arena.
    It is one of the most important issues we face...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    I agree.

What the hell kinda power does this "head of science and technology office" has? lol... Seems like a dead end, symbolic position that does nothing.

I'll bet that Massie will weigh the pros and cons, and take the position he wants to take and where he feels he can make the greatest impact.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    But he would lose his seat. And could he abolish it? I'm thinking not. I like Thomas where he is at. I'm with Matt, God I can't believe I just wrote that, in that Massie and other liberty candidates need to be careful regarding appointments.
    It was created by an act of Congress in 1976. It would probably require another act of Congress to get rid of it though a president could decide not to staff it. The head is subject to "the advice and consent" of the Senate like other position such as Secretary of Defense or State.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office...hnology_Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I'll bet that Massie will weigh the pros and cons, and take the position he wants to take and where he feels he can make the greatest impact.
    This.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Imagine going from John Holdren to Thomas Massie? That would be a complete 180.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It was created by an act of Congress in 1976. It would probably require another act of Congress to get rid of it though a president could decide not to staff it. The head is subject to "the advice and consent" of the Senate like other position such as Secretary of Defense or State.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office...hnology_Policy
    I'm having flashback of Weld's nomination for Canadian Ambassador. IIRC, he stepped down, then failed to be confirmed.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    This argument could work, if they had been floating Rand's name for some weak position too - considering he wields a lot more power than Massie. Maybe Trump feels Rand is more valuable in the Senate, and Massie would be more valuable in this position.
    They aren't floating Rand's name because he wouldn't even consider accepting an offer unless it was for a major spot which Trump would never offer him anyway.

Well, whether it's a good idea to accept or not (I can see both sides), you've got to admit it's a good thing he's being considered!

I'll trust his judgement no matter what he decides.

UPDATE:

According to Thomas, this was just rumor:
    https://reason.com/blog/2016/11/29/r...m-trump-transi

Congressman Massie says he’d 'seriously consider' post in Trump administration

http://www.dailyindependent.com/news...4e16b8a8a.html

U.S. Congressman Thomas Massie, R-Ky., said he would “seriously consider” a position in President-elect Donald Trump’s administration, but hasn’t been approached by his transition team.

In a phone interview with The Daily Independent on Tuesday, Massie responded to rumors claiming he’s under consideration for a top post in the Trump administration.

“If there’s any truth to the rumor, it’s coming from his team, not mine,” said Massie. “[Trump] has assembled a very impressive cabinet so far, and I would seriously consider working in his administration.”

A report by The Liberty Conservative, an online magazine, surfaced Monday stating that the Trump team is considering Massie for director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy, a position commonly referred to as Science Advisor to the President.

The author cited a “confidential source on the Trump transition team.”

Austin Petersen, a former candidate for the Libertarian Party’s 2016 nomination for President of the United States, founded the website The Libertarian Republic which also posted a story on Monday linking Massie to consideration for the Science Advisor position.

Petersen told The Daily Independent the source of the story is on the Trump transition team and agreed to speak to the online magazine “only on the condition of anonymity.”

Science Advisor to the President is considered the closest position to a cabinet-level role in science and technology. The appointee would spearhead nationwide initiatives related to science and tech, have increased access to Trump and work almost exclusively in the White House complex with the Office of Science and Technology Policy staff.

Massie believes he'd be qualified for the position if considered, but hadn't given it much thought previously.

The libertarian-leaning conservative said he’s even more intrigued by the idea of serving in the cabinet as secretary of energy.

Like the outgoing energy secretary, Ernest Moniz, Massie has ties to Massachusetts Institute of Technology, or MIT. Moniz, a nuclear physicist, was a longtime physics and engineering professor at MIT before his appointment to head the U.S. Department of Energy in 2013.

Massie, 45, earned a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and master’s in mechanical engineering from MIT, where he also completed independent studies on energy and energy solutions.

He now serves on three House committees, including the Science, Space and Technology Committee and the Subcommittee on Energy.

When away from Washington, the U.S. representative from Kentucky’s 4th Congressional District resides in Lewis County in a home powered by solar panels, and noted he drives a Tesla with a “’friends of coal’ license plate.”

On climate change, Massie said he’s “skeptical of the theory that humans have had a large effect” on environmental shifts and the topic has “become a shouting match in the public discourse.”

Massie acknowledged the Earth, which has never been hotter in recorded history, is warming.

“But it was warming in pre-industrial times,” he said. “The question isn’t whether the Earth is warming, but is the Earth warming at a quicker rate because of human involvement?”

The U.S. should work toward energy independence, Massie said, as it makes “us more secure when we aren’t relying on hostile nations.”

Texas oil tycoon Harold Hamm is rumored to be under consideration for energy secretary, along with Venture capitalist Robert Grady and North Dakota Rep. Kevin Cramer, according to NPR.

Trump’s transition staff could not be reached for comment on the validity of the president elect’s interest in Massie for the science advisor post.

Massie warmed to Trump this summer after previously referring to him as a “big middle finger to Washington, D.C.” during an appearance at a luncheon in Ashland. At that time, Massie was campaigning for Sen. Rand Paul, Ky., who dropped out of the presidential race in February.

Trump received Massie’s endorsement after the two met in Washington. Massie said he’s impressed by Trump’s business dealings and believes the president elect been unfairly judged.

“I think the media in general is underestimating [Trump’s] ability to be a great president,” Massie said.

If the Trump transition team was to tap him for a position, Massie said he wouldn’t be eager to forfeit the seat he just won for a third time in landslide fashion. He’s also keen on serving his home district in a Republican-heavy House as a more seasoned congressman.

“At this point I’ve accumulated a fair amount of seniority,” he said. “This is an opportunity for the Republican Party, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity where we have a majority in the House, Senate and we control the White House. We can’t blow it.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast