Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washing machine on the fritz. Does this sound like a good diagnosis?

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    thread winner
    Prescient. Lol.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Honey, why don't you just go out to the stream and beat the clothes against the rocks like women have been doing for millennia?"

<ducks>

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    "Honey, why don't you just go out to the stream and beat the clothes against the rocks like women have been doing for millennia?"

<ducks>
    Yeah. No.

Well, here are the space ships.

Electrolux. Model EFLS617STT.

So far, so good. Washed 6 hours straight yesterday and another 6 today. They're working hard and working well. I like the pedestals. Nice easy kick drawer for the detergents. Real quite. About a billion options but also a simple dial that takes care of the norms. Even steam clean. I have no idea what that is about. Can I steam lobsters in them? Detergents are minimal. 2 shots of HE detergent, a shot of pre-wash and a shot of fabric softener. Dryer has an automatic shut-off when it detects the cloths are dry. It also has a quick wash. 20 mins. wash and 15 mins. dry.

So far, happy.

But don't get me started on the delivery delays, install (negotiated for free during the delays) and the fact the old washer, we negotiated disposal for, is still on the porch.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 12-29-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Well, here are the space ships.

Electrolux. Model EFLS617STT.

So far, so good. Washed 6 hours straight yesterday and another 6 today. They're working hard and working well. I like the pedestals. Nice easy kick drawer for the detergents. Real quite. About a billion options but also a simple dial that takes care of the norms. Even steam clean. I have no idea what that is about. Can I steam lobsters in them? Detergents are minimal. 2 shots of HE detergent, a shot of pre-wash and a shot of fabric softener. Dryer has an automatic shut-off when it detects the cloths are dry. It also has a quick wash. 20 mins. wash and 15 mins. dry.

So far, happy.

But don't get me started on the delivery delays, install (negotiated for free during the delays) and the fact the old washer, we negotiated disposal for, is still on the porch.
    Very nice, phil. I got new ones a little over a year ago and it took me a bit of trial and error to get used to the maintenance on a front loader. I had a twenty something year old Kenmore top loader that didn't really have any bells and whistles that finally died and ended up going with the second largest LG set. I originally bought the largest but when they delivered them, they found out they wouldn't fit through the door of the laundry room. I measured the spot they were going in and it was perfect but I didn't think to measure the damn door. Anyway, the main quirks I've found with the front loader is you really do have to keep them clean or your clean clothes will stank.

Not after every load but at the end of wash day you should take a clean dry washcloth or a paper towel and dry the door gasket. Mine has a little hole at the bottom of the gasket and you should also pick out any lint you find there. You should also leave the door open overnight to let the drum dry out. Doing these things will keep mold and mildew out of your washer.

Once a month, drain the dirty water out of the reservoir. Mines behind a little panel on the front right corner of the washer. I see you splurged on the stands (Nice, Mrs. 4paul is a lucky lady) so you should hang onto a bucket because the drain tube on mine isn't very long. I use about a 4 inch high piece of old tupperware and tape the tube to the side of it because the way it's stored in the little panel makes it bend straight up (like a boner) and that nasty water squirts everywhere if I don't tape my washer boner down. You may not have that problem with your washer boner because you have the stands and room for a bucket. There's also a screw off filter next to the boner tube. Clean that after you drain the boner tube. A little water runs out so have a hand towel ready. The way mines designed, you can't really catch it with anything and if you've propery drained your boner, it's not much. IF YOU DON'T DRAIN YOUR BONER FIRST, YOU WILL HAVE A $#@!IN' MESS. TRUST ME. Then clean the washer tub. they sell those tablets for cleaning the tub but I don't buy the damn things, I throw a cup of bleach in an empty machine and run the clean cycle. While the clean cycle's running I take the little cups out the dispenser and soak those in the sink. I wasn't doing that but my dispensers started getting gunk build up.

Honestly, I only ever cleaned my top loader after I let something sour in it but this one requires much more maintenance and five people live here - I do a load of wash every day. If you let it sit up, that washer will start stinkin'. Also, do a cleaning on it before you go on vacation and leave the door open. Trust me.

The dryer doesn't require too much. I have to clean my lint trap after every load. It has a tiny lint trap that gets full with loads that shouldn't have much lint. I also have to be careful to reach in the little lint hatch with a brush and clean that out about once a week. I wasn't doing that and noticed my lint screen wasn't going back in all the way. Well, all that escapee lint had built up so much that I couldn't get the trap back in. I ended up having to rig up a hook to get it all out. I think I pulled a quilt out the damn thing. Seriously, that's dangerous. I know a lady whose house caught on fire because of dryer lint. I also have to make sure my dryer water dispenser is empty after I finish a steam cycle. I do those last so I can toss the water and leave the little bin out to dry. I don't do many of those and I don't want it getting moldy in there. I also read that you should use distilled water in those to prevent mineral deposits from building up. Not all dryers have that feature but I thought I would give ya a heads up if yours does.

Just a few tips I learned via trial and error. Of course, you may have read the owners manual but I didn't.

Last edited by Suzanimal; 12-31-2016 at 02:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Do they hook up to the Internet? The ones I saw in Lowe's did. They had a wifi and an ethernet port. I don't know for what. Maybe to go online to see when your laundry is done?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Very nice, phil. I got new ones a little over a year ago and it took me a bit of trial and error to get used to the maintenance on a front loader. I had a twenty something year old Kenmore top loader that didn't really have any bells and whistles that finally died and ended up going with the second largest LG set. I originally bought the largest but when they delivered them, they found out they wouldn't fit through the door of the laundry room. I measured the spot they were going in and it was perfect but I didn't think to measure the damn door. Anyway, the main quirks I've found with the front loader is you really do have to keep them clean or your clean clothes will stank.

Not after every load but at the end of wash day you should take a clean dry washcloth or a paper towel and dry the door gasket. Mine has a little hole at the bottom of the gasket and you should also pick out any lint you find there. You should also leave the door open overnight to let the drum dry out. Doing these things will keep mold and mildew out of your washer.

Once a month, drain the dirty water out of the reservoir. Mines behind a little panel on the front right corner of the washer. I see you splurged on the stands (Nice, Mrs. 4paul is a lucky lady) so you should hang onto a bucket because the drain tube on mine isn't very long. I use about a 4 inch high piece of old tupperware and tape the tube to the side of it because the way it's stored in the little panel makes it bend straight up (like a boner) and that nasty water squirts everywhere if I don't tape my washer boner down. You may not have that problem with your washer boner because you have the stands and room for a bucket. There's also a screw off filter next to the boner tube. Clean that after you drain the boner tube. A little water runs out so have a hand towel ready. The way mines designed, you can't really catch it with anything and if you've propery drained your boner, it's not much. IF YOU DON'T DRAIN YOUR BONER FIRST, YOU WILL HAVE A $#@!IN' MESS. TRUST ME. Then clean the washer tub. they sell those tablets for cleaning the tub but I don't buy the damn things, I throw a cup of bleach in an empty machine and run the clean cycle. While the clean cycle's running I take the little cups out the dispenser and soak those in the sink. I wasn't doing that but my dispensers started getting gunk build up.

Honestly, I only ever cleaned my top loader after I let something sour in it but this one requires much more maintenance and five people live here - I do a load of wash every day. If you let it sit up, that washer will start stinkin'. Also, do a cleaning on it before you go on vacation and leave the door open. Trust me.

The dryer doesn't require too much. I have to clean my lint trap after every load. It has a tiny lint trap that gets full with loads that shouldn't have much lint. I also have to be careful to reach in the little lint hatch with a brush and clean that out about once a week. I wasn't doing that and noticed my lint screen wasn't going back in all the way. Well, all that escapee lint had built up so much that I couldn't get the trap back in. I ended up having to rig up a hook to get it all out. I think I pulled a quilt out the damn thing. Seriously, that's dangerous. I know a lady whose house caught on fire because of dryer lint. I also have to make sure my dryer water dispenser is empty after I finish a steam cycle. I do those last so I can toss the water and leave the little bin out to dry. I don't do many of those and I don't want it getting moldy in there. I also read that you should use distilled water in those to prevent mineral deposits from building up. Not all dryers have that feature but I thought I would give ya a heads up if yours does.

Just a few tips I learned via trial and error. Of course, you may have read the owners manual but I didn't.

Oh, believe me when I say the drill sergeant walked me through the course. I use the shop vac with the thin attachment to clean the filter seat. And you are right. I've never seen so much lint/dog hair pulled out of furniture throws.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Do they hook up to the Internet? The ones I saw in Lowe's did. They had a wifi and an ethernet port. I don't know for what. Maybe to go online to see when your laundry is done?
    None. That I am aware of. At least DHS hasn't shown up.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Mine do and you can create your own settings with your smart phone. You can also get notifications on your phone to let you know your wash is done, lol.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Internet connected washers sending laundry, water and power usage data back to god only knows who, that cost $1000 and need more maintenance than Madonna and go stinky and sour and make all your clothes smell like tomb blanket if you don't wash the washer every week and have a lifespan of about 5 years, assuming the computers don't die first, and after all that, don't clean clothes for $#@!.

This is called "progress".

Internet connected washers sending laundry, water and power usage data back to god only knows who, that cost $1000 and need more maintenance than Madonna and go stinky and sour and make all your clothes smell like tomb blanket if you don't wash the washer every week and have a lifespan of about 5 years, assuming the computers don't die first, and after all that, don't clean clothes for $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

That's about right. Mr Animal hates appliances with personalities - he says there are enough personalities in this house. We've had ours over a year now and he still has no idea how to turn it on. Not that he's done a load of wash in at least 15 years but he knew how the old one worked and replaced a belt on it once.

The one feature I really do love is the steam on my dryer. I don't use it an awful lot but it's really saved me quite a bit in dry cleaning. My mom has a lot of fancy clothes and they cost around 5.00 a pop to get cleaned. Some of the coats cost around 15.00 a pop to clean.

I'm a curmudgeon too, that's why I got the no frills commercial washer and dryer, made in America with a 10 year warranty on the parts. It aint got no internet, just what I need is some damn russkies hacking my washer and changing the bras wash cycle from delicate to heavy duty.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'm a curmudgeon too, that's why I got the no frills commercial washer and dryer, made in America with a 10 year warranty on the parts. It aint got no internet, just what I need is some damn russkies hacking my washer and changing the bras wash cycle from delicate to heavy duty.
    Post pics

So less than a year and the new washer has broken down. It sounds like the motor bearings have gone bad.

Not terribly pissed just yet. Talked to customer service this morning. They said that they have not had many calls with this complaint, so perhaps was just a bad motor in particular or simply out of alignment. They said they would call back before the end of the day. They just called and said they will have an Electrolux certified repairman out between 8am and noon tomorrow. All parts and labor will be covered. If he cannot fix it they will replace the whole unit including delivery, set up and removal.

Aside from this, no complaints. No mold/mildew buildup like in the old ones. I think they have finally figured out that problem.

Stay tuned.....

Stop over loading your machines and they will last a long time.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Stop over loading your machines and they will last a long time.
    Yeah, that's what the missus accuses me of all the time. It started squealing like a pig with just a blanket, two sheets, a towel and four pillow cases. Rep said it should have taken 3 blankets and the rest and been fine.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So less than a year and the new washer has broken down. It sounds like the motor bearings have gone bad.

Not terribly pissed just yet. Talked to customer service this morning. They said that they have not had many calls with this complaint, so perhaps was just a bad motor in particular or simply out of alignment. They said they would call back before the end of the day. They just called and said they will have an Electrolux certified repairman out between 8am and noon tomorrow. All parts and labor will be covered. If he cannot fix it they will replace the whole unit including delivery, set up and removal.

Aside from this, no complaints. No mold/mildew buildup like in the old ones. I think they have finally figured out that problem.

Stay tuned.....
    Update:

It took longer than originally claimed. It took another week to the day to get the repairman. Seems the belt pulley came off the motor. It is pressure attached with no nuts so it was a design failure. Repairman ordered a new motor. Thanksgiving week offset the repair. Today it is working as wonderfully and quietly as it originally did. No charge. Electrolux covered everything.

Except the missus won't let me wash more than one sock at a time.

Except the missus won't let me wash more than one sock at a time.
    Efficiency and eco friendly, running the machine for one article at a time.

Yeah, that's what the missus accuses me of all the time. It started squealing like a pig with just a blanket, two sheets, a towel and four pillow cases. Rep said it should have taken 3 blankets and the rest and been fine.
    Smart woman.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Even old ones last longer with light loads.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Well, that was a joke. I honestly like this washer and dryer. And it can take a good load. There's not the front load issues of mildew, like there used to be, after a year. Just a quick wipe of the seal at the end of the wash day and leave the door cracked 3" over night. Once a month run a clean cycle. Love the dryer because it has a steam refresh. I'm a smoker and it'll knoch the smell right out of my jacket or sweater in 12 mins.
    As far as loading I did two pairs of jeans, one lined with flannel, five t-shirts, five pairs of underwear, five pair of socks, a top and bottom of thermals, two sleeved flannel shirts, a wash cloth and a towel. All in one wash then dry. I don't ask for much more than that.

Y2 AND Y3K compliant device.

Four years later and I am happy with the purchase. Working like a boss.

I bought a used washer / dryer in 2012. $50 for the set. Had to replace the dryer a couple of years ago so that was another $50. I too am happy with my purchase.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12