Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing machine on the fritz. Does this sound like a good diagnosis?

Washing machine on the fritz. Does this sound like a good diagnosis?

Kenmore stacked washer/dryer combo. Mod. 2661532210. Washer washes, drains but will not spin at what should normally be the correct speed. Now this thing was gotten/given used 5 yrs. ago and was about 2-3 yrs. old then. So not too old. Yes, it has a computer and it has cycle lights that are supposed to diagnose, but of course they are no help.

So, I took off the front cover (I actually took the drum out and reassembled because I have never done one before). Off course that wouldn't have taken care of the problem. So I figure it must be either the clutch or the motor. Clutch seems to work fine. I can engage by hand and spin freely. I noticed that the motor heated to the point of not being able to touch it for more than a sec. after even a few minutes of operation. I figure the motor would only heat that high if the clutch was creating resistance or if there was a problem with the motor itself. I took off the belt to the clutch and ran it a few minutes. Pulley/spindle seems to be running slower than it should (though I don't know how fast it is supposed to run. And the motor heated up right away without any resistance. So, I figure motor problems.

Does this sound about right?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    yep, if the electric motor got that hot its probably cooked and needs to be replaced

look for what may be causing resistance; idler pulley too tight; hair around the shaft, bearing noise, wifey that likes to overload machine etc.

https://lowesappliancepartsquik.com/...ction/10487012

seems there are two motor options; I think one is just a replacement for the other (wh20x10081 is discontinued)

Last edited by presence; 11-28-2016 at 04:59 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Might want to check the starting capacitor too. Of course if it starts turning, it wouldn't be the capacitor.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    yep, if the electric motor got that hot its probably cooked and needs to be replaced

look for what may be causing resistance; idler pulley too tight; hair around the shaft, bearing noise, wifey that likes to overload machine etc.
    As the basket and agitator spin freely I'm going with the last mention. And once running again I will approach that particular situation...delicately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Might want to check the starting capacitor too. Of course if it starts turning, it wouldn't be the capacitor.
    Yeah, it'll run. Just seems to have a low speed even when the drive belt is disconnected. I can put my finger on the pulley and by applying even a small amount of pressure slow the motor significantly.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

I'm going with vibration. The DW washes small throw rugs in it. Hell, I admit I've overloaded it a time or two if I don't have time for two smaller loads and need work clothes. I had thought perhaps dirt and dust but was surprised how clean it was inside the machine. Once I pull the old one and replace it I will take the old one apart and have a look at the guts.

Not a referral link: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/

I always buy appliance parts from them because they have an awesome return policy. ANd they're really helpful as well.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Not a referral link: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/

I always buy appliance parts from them because they have an awesome return policy. ANd they're really helpful as well.
    Thanks, angela, but the model number returns "no results." I might see if I can call them though.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Yeah, it'll run. Just seems to have a low speed even when the drive belt is disconnected. I can put my finger on the pulley and by applying even a small amount of pressure slow the motor significantly.
    Yeah, it's gotta be the motor. Though, not necessarily the motor itself. I recently fixed the motor of a workbench grinder wheel by simply bypassing the heat-overload capacitor. Don't know if dryers have those, but power tools often do.

Get out your multimeter, and utility knife to cut little nicks in the wire sheathing, and check the voltage here, there and everywhere you can think of to see if there's a drop or something fishy.

If it's heating up more than it should (is there a fan attached to the motor? If so it may be designed that way and dependent on the fan to keep it cool, like an angle grinder) that could mean it's misaligned inside and so if you have no stress about getting it back working ASAP and enjoy messing around you could disassemble the motor housing itself and see if you can resurrect it with some tinkering or fiddling. Nice thing is, there's only so much that can go wrong with those brushless motors (thanks, Tesla!). If it's not misaligned, the last possibility is the wires have overheated so much, they've melted through their plastic coating somewhere and caused a short, messing up all the fancy phase synchronization and causing, potentially, a wrong speed such as you describe. If that's the case, you could get the correct type of wire and rewind it! Again, this is if you want to do some repairing for fun and personal enrichment.

Try "kick starting" it, giving the spindle an extra push of speed instead of drag and see what happens.

Might be a bearing has worn out and the armature is rubbing on the stator.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Yeah, it's gotta be the motor. Though, not necessarily the motor itself. I recently fixed the motor of a workbench grinder wheel by simply bypassing the heat-overload capacitor. Don't know if dryers have those, but power tools often do.

Get out your multimeter, and utility knife to cut little nicks in the wire sheathing, and check the voltage here, there and everywhere you can think of to see if there's a drop or something fishy.

If it's heating up more than it should (is there a fan attached to the motor? If so it may be designed that way and dependent on the fan to keep it cool, like an angle grinder) that could mean it's misaligned inside and so if you have no stress about getting it back working ASAP and enjoy messing around you could disassemble the motor housing itself and see if you can resurrect it with some tinkering or fiddling. Nice thing is, there's only so much that can go wrong with those brushless motors (thanks, Tesla!). If it's not misaligned, the last possibility is the wires have overheated so much, they've melted through their plastic coating somewhere and caused a short, messing up all the fancy phase synchronization and causing, potentially, a wrong speed such as you describe. If that's the case, you could get the correct type of wire and rewind it! Again, this is if you want to do some repairing for fun and personal enrichment.

Try "kick starting" it, giving the spindle an extra push of speed instead of drag and see what happens.
    I'm not an electrician. Honestly, I have no idea in this regard. I'm looking at component failure first. And yeah, do you know where the stress comes from..the misses.
    So..ASAP. That and I'm busy as $#@!. This stuff happens when I'm juggling customers not when I'm sitting wanking my dick. I will however save the motor, put it in the shop and get to it later.

Might be a bearing has worn out and the armature is rubbing on the stator.
    More than likely. There is a bit of wobble in the pulley/spindle when running. Very slight. But there.

I would bet those motors are less likely to burn out than the circuits.
    Sometimes people, especially those that don't worry too much about money, take perfectly good appliances and get newer ones only because they don't like the color or the knob has faded and is no longer pure white. Never hurts to offer a ridiculously low price on a near new appliance that somebody just wants gone.
    It kinda sucks how everything has circuitry nowadays. Even little devices that used to be simple that cost $1.

More than likely. There is a bit of wobble in the pulley/spindle when running. Very slight. But there.
    if it is a bearing issue you will hear an unmistakable howl

my gut says you're here:

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    the wires have overheated so much, they've melted through their plastic coating somewhere and caused a short, messing up all the fancy phase synchronization and causing, potentially, a wrong speed such as you describe
    just get a new component motor, plug it in and call it done

You should be out less than $60 shipped on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...20495&_sacat=0

If you're "there and might as well" do consider a new set of balance springs that attach on 4 sides to the top of the tub; they can get worn out and cause excessive wobble.
    Last edited by presence; 11-29-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Kenmore stacked washer/dryer combo. Mod. 2661532210. Washer washes, drains but will not spin at what should normally be the correct speed. Now this thing was gotten/given used 5 yrs. ago and was about 2-3 yrs. old then. So not too old. Yes, it has a computer and it has cycle lights that are supposed to diagnose, but of course they are no help.

So, I took off the front cover (I actually took the drum out and reassembled because I have never done one before). Off course that wouldn't have taken care of the problem. So I figure it must be either the clutch or the motor. Clutch seems to work fine. I can engage by hand and spin freely. I noticed that the motor heated to the point of not being able to touch it for more than a sec. after even a few minutes of operation. I figure the motor would only heat that high if the clutch was creating resistance or if there was a problem with the motor itself. I took off the belt to the clutch and ran it a few minutes. Pulley/spindle seems to be running slower than it should (though I don't know how fast it is supposed to run. And the motor heated up right away without any resistance. So, I figure motor problems.

Does this sound about right?
    Sounds like your best starting point. As you said it drains (fully?), that would rule out a pump or solenoid problem. Sometimes they can't get up to speed spinning in a pool of water.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in again?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in again?
    Always a good idea before disassembling.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Sounds like your best starting point. As you said it drains (fully?), that would rule out a pump or solenoid problem. Sometimes they can't get up to speed spinning in a pool of water.
    Yep. Drains fully.

Just buy a new one, phill. Yer gonna mess around and burn the house down.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-29-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Funny you should mention that. Guess who wants a new washer and dryer for an early Christmas? Lol. I should even have bothered taking it apart. Lol.

Funny you should mention that. Guess who wants a new washer and dryer for an early Christmas? Lol. I should even have bothered taking it apart. Lol.
    That's an easy fix. She's lookin' out for ya phill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

LOL, my sister wanted her husband to buy a new television set, so she took some tubes out of the one they had.

Heh.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That's an easy fix. She's lookin' out for ya phill.
    That's so obvious I don't know why I didn't think of that.

LOL, my sister wanted her husband to buy a new television set, so she took some tubes out of the one they had.
    That may explain overloading the washer then.

Heh.
    Yeah. Heh.

just bought a new LG washer....no agitator. Damn thing is a miracle washer. A tad pricey, but you could find one on sale now. Try BEST.

K. End of saga. Ended up wasting time repairing old washer. Had to crack the basket from the shaft. Nothing I did worked.

Tried this and just ended up destroying the basket. $300 for another convcinsed me to just buy new.

After totally reconfigureing an adjacent closet you Electrolux bitch's better perform.

Tjhis one is hard. I pre-spent $400 dollars figuring that I could solve a problem. In retrospect I woulda ran two Tie down straps from the bottom over the 2x. Still don't think it would have worked, The basket was seized. I have some new parts parts I'll sell ya cheap.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 12-23-2016 at 01:04 AM.

LOL - "tubes"

thread winner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast