Thread: Sugar-Free Products Might Actually Stop Us From Getting Slimmer

Sugar-Free Products Might Actually Stop Us From Getting Slimmer

https://science.slashdot.org/story/1...etting-slimmer

Nutritionists suspected that artificial sweeteners weren't really helping people lose weight, according to a new article submitted by schwit1. Now there's hints of proof in a new aspartame study by the Massachusetts General Hospital.

"We found that aspartame blocks a gut enzyme called intestinal alkaline phosphatase," explains Professor Hodin. IAP is produced in the small intestine. "We previously showed [this enzyme] can prevent obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome [a disease characterized by a combination of obesity, high blood pressure, a metabolic disorder and insulin resistance]. So, we think that aspartame might not work because, even as it is substituting for sugar, it blocks the beneficial aspects of IAP...."

The researchers confirmed their suspicions via a variety of tests on mice. In one case, they fed IAP directly to mice, who were also on a high-fat diet. It turned out that the IAP could effectively prevent the emergence of the metabolic syndrome. It also helped relieve symptoms in animals that were already suffering from the obesity-related illness.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another argument made against them is that they give the body the message via taste that sugar is coming but the gut is unable to find the sugar so the desire for sweet is not satisfied so the body craves more food- causing you to eat more.

The issue is how much do you consume of sugars- natural or fake. Too much of either is not going to be good for you. In this study, mice were given the equivalent of a human consuming three and a half cans of aspartame sodas a day- more than people should be drinking. http://www.dw.com/en/sugar-free-prod...mer/a-36504096

In the IAP study (a separate study) mice had the aspartame injected directly into their intestines. In humans, aspartame is broken down in the stomach and most of it does not reach the intestines intact. (they don't say what the dosage on that study was).

The researchers confirmed their suspicions via a variety of tests on mice. In one case, they fed IAP directly to mice, who were also on a high-fat diet. It turned out that the IAP could effectively prevent the emergence of the metabolic syndrome. It also helped relieve symptoms in animals that were already suffering from the obesity-related illness.

The researchers then showed that the activity of IAP was reduced when an aspartame solution was injected directly into the small intestine. When this was done with a sugary or salty solution, the function of IAP remained active.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-28-2016 at 02:43 PM.

I've never intentionally consumed fake sugar in my life.

Never ordered a "diet" anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

I have and immediately regretted it. I can taste that stuff. I tried to use it in sweet tea. *gag* It's best to just not eat as much of something good than eat that crap. It also gives me a headache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Yup.

I do order from the "On the light side" menu at the fish-camp. I don't see how anyone's stomach could fit the regular sized portion.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 11-28-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Fake sugars are an excuse to continue to eat crappy foods and tell yourself they are now somehow "good" for you.

If you are eating too many sugars, eating a ton of fake sugar isn't going to make you much healthier.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-03-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Flash back:

Artificial Sweeteners Cause Greater Weight Gain than Sugar, Yet Another Study Reveals
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...e-dangers.aspx

How Artificial Sweeteners Confuse Your Body into Storing Fat and Inducing Diabetes
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...fuse-body.aspx

Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

The Unbiased Truth About Artificial Sweeteners
    https://chriskresser.com/the-unbiase...al-sweeteners/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

No $#@!
    "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.