Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Picks Marijuana Opponent Jeff Sessions for Attorney General

Trump Picks Marijuana Opponent Jeff Sessions for Attorney General

Trump Picks Marijuana Opponent for Attorney General

BY TOM ANGELL
    NOVEMBER 18TH, 2016

President-elect Donald Trump has offered the top spot in the Justice Department to U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, an ardent opponent of marijuana law reform, several news organizations are reporting.

In a Senate hearing on the federal response to state marijuana laws in April, Sessions said, “good people don’t smoke marijuana,” and implied that even discussion of legalization could create a gateway effect to increased use of other drugs.

“We need grown ups in Washington to say marijuana is not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized, it ought not to be minimized, that it is in fact a very real danger,” he said. “You’ll see cocaine and heroin increase more than it would have, I think, had we not talked about it.”

Sessions, a former U.S. attorney, also criticized President Obama for his administration’s approach to the issue. “His lax treatment and comments on marijuana, it’s been obvious, it reverses 20 years almost of hostility to drugs, begun really, when Nancy Reagan started the ‘Just Say No’ program,” the senator said.

While Sessions was under consideration for a federal judgeship in 1986, a former deputy accused him of saying that the Ku Klux Klan “were OK until I found out they smoked pot.” Sessions later said the remark was an out-of-context joke, but it and other racially charged comments soon led to his nomination’s rejection by the Senate Judiciary Committee, a body on which he now sits as a member and which will consider his confirmation as the nation’s top law enforcement officer.

During last year’s confirmation hearing for Loretta Lynch, the current attorney general, Sessions questioned her about marijuana policy, forcefully pressing for more federal action on the issue in light of the relative leeway the Obama administration has given to states to implement their own laws.

“I hope that you will cease to be silent, because if the law enforcement officers don’t do this, I don’t know who will. And in the past, attorneys general and other government officials have spoken out and I think kept bad decisions from being made,” he said.

In a Senate floor speech earlier this year, Sessions slammed President Obama for admitting to previous drug use and downplaying its effects.

“You have to have leadership from Washington. You can’t have the President of the United States of America talking about marijuana like it is no different than taking a drink, saying I used marijuana when I was in high school and it is no different than smoking,” he said. “It is different. And you are sending a message to young people that there is no danger in this process. It is false that marijuana use doesn’t lead people to more drug use. It is already causing a disturbance in the States that have made it legal. I think we need to be careful about this.”

In a 2014 hearing, Sessions laid into FBI Director James Comey for implying he was thinking of loosening the bureau’s hiring restrictions on people who have used marijuana. “Do you understand that that could be interpreted as one more example of leadership in America dismissing the seriousness of marijuana use and that could undermine our ability to convince young people not to go down that dangerous path?” he asked.

In a separate hearing with then-Attorney General Eric Holder, Sessions used an anecdote about singer Lady Gaga to argue that President Obama has understated cannabis’s harms. “Lady Gaga said she is addicted to it and it is not harmless,” he said. “I hope that you will talk with the president, you’re close with him, and begin to push back, or pull back, on this position that I think is going to be adverse to the health of America.”

In another Senate floor speech, Sessions decried the rise of state marijuana legalization and harkened back to Reagan administration. “Now we have states legalizing it, and they are already talking about recriminalizing it. It is a mistake. We have seen that experiment before. Lives are at stake,” he said. “The federal government led the way with tough sentencing, eliminating parole, targeting dangerous drugs in effective ways, and states and local governments followed.”

read more:
    http://www.marijuana.com/blog/news/2...orney-general/
    Last edited by jct74; 11-19-2016 at 03:29 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Everyone he has picked so far is opposed to cannabis.

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    Everyone he has picked so far is opposed to cannabis.
    Can you cite where Steve Bannon is opposed?

Trump himself has said he is ok with medical marijuana and states legalizing. Do you think he will allow his cabinet to run amok?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Can you cite where Steve Bannon is opposed?

Trump himself has said he is ok with medical marijuana and states legalizing. Do you think he will allow his cabinet to run amok?
    Ok. I can't find anything that says he is opposed OR in favor of. How about you? anything?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    Ok. I can't find anything that says he is opposed OR in favor of. How about you? anything?
    I just did a google search. You obviously didn't even try to find anything.

And I saw him during a rally Q&A say marijuana should be left to the states.

Do you believe that Trump has any sort of guiding philosophy which he bases his stances on? I would say his actions have demonstrated in a very clear way that this is not the case and that his stances are very fluid, based on however he randomly feels on a given day.

Trump policy, more than ever, is going to be run by who he puts in charge of things.

Not looking good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I just did a google search. You obviously didn't even try to find anything.

And I saw him during a rally Q&A say marijuana should be left to the states.
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=10...k1.IAoCWeS1Vf4

so where is your so called source?

KD has the vid:

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231651

Trump supports medical marijuana and will probably act, which he can do through his appointments to the FDA and DEA, to reschedule it. This means (at least) taking it off Schedule 1 and that will immediately open up research avenues for further medical uses. There is simply no question that in terms of balance of harms and benefits when it comes to weed it's safer than aspirin, we have more knowledge of its safety in terms of "time in use" than we do for aspirin, and and it is known effective for a material number of conditions whether we're talking about childhood epilepsy, glaucoma, as symptomatic relief for pain associated with cancer or other conditions and as a appetite stimulant to counter side effects of other conditions and medications that can be extremely debilitating (e.g. cancer patients taking chemo.)

But it gets better when it comes to President Trump.

His 10th Amendment position on recreational use is likewise well-informed and augurs not for "crushing" states that choose to legalize weed but rather for potentially removing it from the Federal Drug Schedules entirely, not just down-scheduling it, leaving it to states that wish to leave possession and use in their criminal code. That's the "50 state political laboratory" approach and it's about damn time a President took that view toward anything -- and this is the first time, I remind you, in my memory that I've heard a President actually say that. This means that should you live in a state that refuses to legalize weed simply move to one that sees it the other way, a right you have and will continue to enjoy under President Trump. Your choices (as of now) for recreational marijuana use include Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, the District of Columbia (not a state but close enough), California, Massachusetts and Nevada. All set the age at 21, as with alcohol. All of these states at present prohibit public consumption of weed, but since the most-common means of use that is detectable by others is smoking it that's not unexpected (smoking in most public places is prohibited as well.)

Come in off the ledge, marijuana advocates. You not only don't need to jump you are about to have a President who supports your position to a far greater degree than either Obama or Hillary, and he is taking office in January.

We'll see if President Trump's acts jive with Candidate Trump's words, but what you heard on the campaign trail was a promise to do more for personal liberty and the use of cannabis, whether medically or otherwise, than any previous President in the modern era.
    I hope so.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The simple fact that Sessions was an USDA spells bad news.

I'd rather see a corporate or patent attorney in that slot but nobody asked me...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The simple fact that Sessions was an USDA spells bad news.

I'd rather see a corporate or patent attorney in that slot but nobody asked me...
    I would have asked you. But I was not invited to be on the transition team.
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

Weed is one of the few things the states can run rough shod over the feds with . Some people are always going to be opposed , but the majority do not care and understand there are bigger problems .
    Do something Danke

Sessions: "Good people don't smoke marijuana'

Sessions: "Good people don't smoke marijuana'
    Washington Post‎ - 20 mins ago

ht jct74 for the tube:

Trump's attorney general pick is bad news for legal marijuana

Business Insider - ‎3 hours ago‎
    President-elect Donald Trump tapped Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) to be his attorney general on Friday morning. Despite a landslide of states voting to legalize recreational and medical marijuana on Election Day, Sessions, if confirmed by the Senate ...

Jeff Sessions, Trump AG pick, a buzzkill for marijuana industry

Washington Times - ‎3 hours ago‎
    President-elect Donald Trump's choice of conservative Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions is proving to be something of a buzzkill to the nation's marijuana entrepreneurs, who fear his record opposing legalized pot could mean an abrupt halt to the industry's ...

Will the Trump Administration Launch a Civil War Over Legal Weed?

New York Magazine - ‎4 hours ago‎
    During his campaign, Donald Trump repeatedly vowed to leave the question of marijuana prohibition “to the states.” And any federal crackdown would likely inspire heavy backlash, both from “green state” voters and from the burgeoning legal mairjuana ...

Trump's pick for attorney general not fan of legal weed

The Cannabist - ‎4 hours ago‎
    In this photo taken Nov. 17, 2016, Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala. speaks to media at Trump Tower in New York. President-elect Donald Trump has picked Sessions for the job of attorney general. (Carolyn Kaster, The Associated Press) ...

Donald Trump's pick for attorney general not fan of legal weed

The Denver Post - ‎3 hours ago‎
    President-elect Donald Trump's pick for the next U.S. attorney general should “scare the hell out of the marijuana industry,” a prominent drug policy expert said. The selection of Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions as the nation's top law ...

10 things to know about Sen. Jeff Sessions, Donald Trump's pick for attorney general

Washington Post - ‎6 hours ago‎
    His former colleagues testified Sessions used the n-word and joked about the Ku Klux Klan, saying he thought they were "okay, until he learned that they smoked marijuana." By the time the testimony was finished, Sessions's "reputation was in tatters ...

What an Attorney-General Sessions would mean for marijuana

MarketWatch - ‎3 hours ago‎
    America's growing acceptance of marijuana may be reversed if Sen. Jeff Sessions is confirmed as attorney general, industry experts said Friday. President-elect Donald Trump on Friday said he intends to nominate Sessions, a former prosecutor, as the ...

Trump Names Senator Jeff Sessions to Be His Attorney General

Bloomberg - ‎10 hours ago‎
    President-elect Donald Trump on Friday selected Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions as his attorney general, elevating one of his earliest congressional backers and one of the most conservative U.S. lawmakers to serve as the nation's top law enforcement ...

With Sessions appointment to AG, does marijuana legalization go up in smoke?

AL.com - ‎5 hours ago‎
    But there's another thing here that means a lot for a Trump Justice Department -- the end of that joke, marijuana. While Sessions's attitude toward civil rights enforcement is up in the air, his thoughts on drug enforcement are clear. Sessions believes ...

Trump Selects Marijuana Opponent Jeff Sessions To Be Attorney General

Weed News (blog) - ‎1 hour ago‎
    President-elect Donald Trump has made his selection for Attorney General, and it could prove to have serious consequences for the growing marijuana movement and industry. Jeff Sessions is Trump's pick. Jeff Sessions is a longtime opponent of marijuana, ...

Backers of legal pot horrified by Trump's selection of Sessions

Sacramento Bee - ‎4 hours ago‎
    After winning big at the polls only 10 days ago, backers of marijuana legalization fear their movement took a major hit Friday when President-elect Donald Trump chose Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions, a staunch legalization opponent, as his ...

“Good people don't smoke marijuanaTrump's pick for attorney general has legal weed advocates freaking out

VICE News - ‎20 minutes ago‎
    President-elect Donald Trump's decision to nominate Sen. Jeff Sessions to be the next attorney general has proponents of weed legalization freaking out, and for good reason. Sessions, a staunch conservative with a troubling record on many issues ...

Trump Picks Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, Stoking Fears of Cannabis Crackdown

Leafly - ‎1 hour ago‎
    With President-elect Donald Trump's selection of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) for US attorney general, Americans are finally getting a clearer picture of what the federal government's approach to cannabis might look like under his administration. Ending ...

Jeff Sessions, Donald Trump's new attorney general, said the Ku Klux Klan 'was OK until I found out they smoked pot'

The Independent - ‎4 hours ago‎
    Mr Trump has flip-flopped between supporting the legislation of marijuana and using tax dollars to educate people about the "dangers" of drugs, and at other times he has leaned towards drug legislation being a state and not a federal matter.

Trump's Pick for US Attorney General Bad for Marijuana Legalization

MERRY JANE - ‎26 minutes ago‎
    It was reported last night by the New York Times that Trump has picked Senator Jeff Sessions, an ultra-conservative from the backwoods of Alabama and perhaps one of the most committed opponents of the marijuana reform movement this nation has ever ...

Trump's AG Pick Liked The KKK Until He Found Out They Smoked Marijuana

Civilized - ‎6 hours ago‎
    But not Jeff Sessions, the Alabama Senator who has been tabbed by President-elect Donald Trump for attorney general. The KKK fell out of favor with Sessions when he found out some of them smoked marijuana. The story came out 30 years ago when ...

Trump's Sessions Appointment a Potential Setback for Marijuana Industry

TheStreet.com - ‎2 hours ago‎
    Trump's past statements on marijuana appeared encouraging as well. "In terms of marijuana and legalization, I think it should be a state issue, state-by-state," he said while on the campaign trail last year. While speaking at the 2015 Conservative ...

Will Cannabis Legalization Survive A Trump Administration?

Civilized - ‎Nov 17, 2016‎
    Nadelmann, the founder and executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance and a self-described political centrist, stood up from his seat to emphasize that Trump is "like nothing we've ever seen." He was speaking at the Marijuana Business Conference as ...
    Last edited by presence; 11-18-2016 at 05:22 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Trump is very pro-medical cannabis, and is all for allowing states to legalize. I doubt he will let his AG run amok over this issue.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Trump is very pro-medical cannabis
    muh prescriptions! muh law and order!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Trump is very pro-medical cannabis, and is all for allowing states to legalize. I doubt he will let his AG run amok over this issue.
    Thanks for being the voice of reason. No need to be concerned about Sessions.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Then why choose an AG with the record Sessions has? No wait, don't tell me. It is 4d chess and I, a simple man, can't possibly understand it.

Legal. Hmmmm. Since when do hardcore advocates of personal liberty need permission from government to grow and use something? Asking government to legalize something is the saying you need permission. Live like free people.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Legal. Hmmmm. Since when do hardcore advocates of personal liberty need permission from government to grow and use something? Asking government to legalize something is the saying you need permission. Live like free people.
    Hardcore advocates of personal liberty don't need permission from government. But, they live knowing the boot of government may drop on their throats when and where it chooses regardless of their beliefs.. It's a simple fact of life. I'd rather it not be. But, perhaps, that is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Then why choose an AG with the record Sessions has? No wait, don't tell me. It is 4d chess and I, a simple man, can't possibly understand it.
    Incorrect, it's the dove in the wrong hand or something like that. Chess is so October.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Here's the full video of his remarks at senate hearing where he made OP quote (I just uploaded it to my youtube account). This guy is an insane anti-cannabis zealot who must be opposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsDyc38MstQ

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Thanks for being the voice of reason. No need to be concerned about Sessions.
    Oh, I am *concerned* no doubt.. I am a patient and I like growing my own. I'd even like to get into the industry here now that it has been legalized.

But I'm going to assume that Trump picked him for other reasons, like gun control, and maybe some other issues, and that he will have to reign him in a bit and tell him not to go after states that have legalized cannabis.

We will have to wait and see. I'm not going to assume that Sessions is going to run amok and go totally against what Trump said during his campaign. It's not out of the question, either, but we will see.

If I had the power I would oppose his nomination just for being a douche, but I'm not going to freak out like my hair is on fire.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-18-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Winner.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Here's the full video of his remarks at senate hearing where he made OP quote (I just uploaded it to my youtube account). This guy is an insane anti-cannabis zealot who must be opposed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsDyc38MstQ

From jct's video @ 4:50

We need grown ups in charge in Washington to say marijuana is not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized, it ought not to be *stuttering?* minimized, that it's in fact a very real danger
    He managed to squeeze a lot of boogity in 9:38.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Winner.

Uhhh sorry. All the links in the OP go to MSM sources. If it's from the MSM, it's not true.

I know because that's what people here tell me.

Given what the MSM has said, Sessions actually love weed.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Bi-winning! Even better!
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Well, FWIW, I'm infinitely more concerned about domestic surveillance and its foreign policy ramifications. In these areas, Flynn and Sessions are both discouraging. But that's for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    Uhhh sorry. All the links in the OP go to MSM sources. If it's from the MSM, it's not true.

I know because that's what people here tell me.

Given what the MSM has said, Sessions actually love weed.
    I bet he smokes it every day and runs a pot farm.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I bet he smokes it every day and runs a pot farm.
    Most likely. GJ ain't got $#@! on Sessions' love for pot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast