Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rep Mike Pompeo appointed CIA Director

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    Nice things like...Pompeo?
    I never said that. I wouldn't have chose Pompeo. But this insistence that Justin must discard his pleasant experiences with Pompeo just because some moron on the internet insists that he's a bad man is hysterical.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Has Ron or Rand reached out to Trump to offer recommendations for appointments?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

By the way, did any of you guys catch Thomas Massie a day or two ago when he was on Cspan's Washington Journal? One of the things he talked about was that, next to Rand, Trump was the candidate who had the most similar foreign policy. ie. no empire-building, no policing the world.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

He should be brought back from Russia and given due process, and I think that the proper outcome would be that he would be given a death sentence for having put friends of mine, friends of yours, in the military today, at enormous risk because of the information he stole and then released to foreign powers.
    Yet another member of the Trump administration who thinks Snowden should be executed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    By the way, did any of you guys catch Thomas Massie a day or two ago when he was on Cspan's Washington Journal? One of the things he talked about was that, next to Rand, Trump was the candidate who had the most similar foreign policy. ie. no empire-building, no policing the world.
    He needs to be primaried.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Flynn is not a neocon.

this is a great "head to head" with Flynn. He is no libertarian or peacenick. But he also is not a neocon.
    Last edited by UWDude; 11-18-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Oh brudda. It figures it'd be something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Flynn is not a neocon.
    That's why Obama ousted him as the head of the DIA.

What concerns me about Trump is the police state here at home. I mean, I know we're pretty much that way now but he's all for militarized police and in his own words, "nobody is going to mess with these guys...nobody"

For a while, people were stating to get tired of it and were becoming vocal and organized against it. I think he'll be the poster boy for cop worship. Stop and frisk or else kind of deal. First they came for the Mexeecans...but I was not a Mexeecan.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-18-2016 at 12:05 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Yet another member of the Trump administration who thinks Snowden should be executed.
    Trump himself feels that way, so it's to be expected that the rest of his administration will too.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    What concerns me about Trump is the police state here at home. I mean, I know we're pretty much that way now but he's all for militarized police and in his own words, "nobody is going to mess with these guys...nobody"
    Yes. That is a concern of mine too.
    ================

Massie and Amash haven't done much of anything aside from provide lip service, btw. Don't get me wrong, I like them. But all they've done is talk.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    That's why Obama ousted him as the head of the DIA.
    As long as Trump listens to him everything should be fine.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post

For a while, people were stating to get tired of it and were becoming vocal and organized against it. I think he'll be the poster boy for cop worship. Stop and frisk or else kind of deal. First they came for the Mexeecans...but I was not a Mexeecan.
    Me too.
    But I want these wars ended, and I dont want any more.
    Police state at home sucks, but it is what the people want because they are stupid.
    War abroad sucks, and the people being bombed and killed dont want it, nor do the refugees want to be forced from their homes. It has been a disaster.
    I know the two are not mutually exclusive philosophically, but right now, there is no libertarian choice that is going to backtrack both.

Me too.
    Police state at home sucks, but it is what the people want because they are stupid.
    War abroad sucks, and the people being bombed and killed dont want it, nor do the refugees want to be forced from their homes. It has been a disaster.
    I know the two are not mutually exclusive philosophically, but right now, there is no libertarian choice that is going to backtrack both.
    And what happens when there is a crisis here at home. A 9/11 attack, economic collapse, or similar. You think having guys like Pompeo in office will be a good thing or bad for us anti-government liberty lovers?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Me too.
    I expect maybe we'll see miltary spending down but defense spending increased to make up the difference. Except it'll likely be defense spending against us here at home. Likely economic warfare will temporarily take the place of drone warfare abroad.

At this point, I'm just like screw it. It's out of my control. All I can do is say that I do not consent. Which likely won't make a danged bit of difference anyway. They have tanks with sherriff emblems on em with storm troopers jumping out.

When I sell my house, I'm Mexico bound. And I'm decided on that after some lengthy thought on it. If I want to know what's going on in the states, I'll turn on CNN.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-18-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    [T]his insistence that Justin must discard his pleasant experiences with Pompeo just because some moron on the internet insists that he's a bad man is hysterical.
    ^^^ ... insists someone on the Internet ... ^^^
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You keep touting this. Massie is doing a good job, but he's not infallible. He's simply wrong here - Trump has given us nothing but empty words as far as his foreign policy so far. T

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    And what happens when there is a crisis here at home. A 9/11 attack, economic collapse, or similar. You think having guys like Pompeo in office will be a good thing or bad for us anti-government liberty lovers?
    I'm a realist. I have never threatened to shoot up people like the idiot from Rutgers or said I want to assassinate the president for a reason. I'm not stupid.
    I never expected our rights to privacy and free speech to start coming back.
    And while you are trying to scare me about hypothetical futures, the corporate establishment is already starting to censor people for "hate speech" and "fake news" although Huffington Posts is not considered "fake news". Now Chrome comes with a "fake news" warning system, that tells you you are on a site that often has 'fake or misleading news".
    Not to mention Twitter has just closed hundreds of accounts of the most popular people who supported Trump.
    So you may have not have noticed, but I already knew, the real censorship has arrived.
    It started about 2 years ago, when youtube started telling channels like Storm Clouds Gathering that they could not monetize anymore, even though many channels with neocon and globalist agendas talked about war and showed graphic footage, but were still allowed to monetize.

So I have no idea what Pompeo will be like.
    You keep touting this. Massie is doing a good job, but he's not infallible. He's simply wrong here - Trump has given us nothing but empty words as far as his foreign policy so far.
    He appointed Flynn... ...who agrees much with what Trump has said he would do. Other than that, Trump has no power, so he can't actually do much.

Trump is now 100% NEOCON.

PENCE
    FLYNN
    POMPEO
    SESSIONS
    PREIBUS

Bend over, Liberty.... here they come.
    I don't see any of them in the neoconservative reference thread...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Reference-List
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It sounds like Pompeo's position on Snowden is disturbing. Perhaps Amash will be able to convince him otherwise.

Justin Amash Verified account
    ‏@justinamash

I know @RepMikePompeo. He's a great pick. Yes, we have our disagreements, but Mike will listen to our concerns and serve with integrity.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/stat...08263134285824
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Who would Hillary put in?

He is an alpha, so they will follow his lead.
    I agree....

Soon, he will have all neocons buying into individual liberty.
    ...but this is a stretch

Time for a Rigorous National Debate About Surveillance

Post-9/11 measures have been weakened or discarded. A coherent new approach is needed.

By MIKE POMPEO And DAVID B. RIVKIN JR.
    Jan. 3, 2016 4:21 p.m. ET

America is in a long war against a resilient enemy capable of striking the homeland, but U.S. intelligence capabilities are falling short of meeting the threat. The San Bernardino attackers were not flagged, despite their repeated visits to jihadist websites, alarming posts on social media, and suspicious financial transactions. The Boston Marathon bombers evaded timely detection, as did the would-be shooters in Garland, Texas, who had exchanged dozens of messages with a known terrorist overseas.

Paris and San Bernardino exemplify the two types of threats: overseas-trained terrorists, and online-radicalized lone wolves. Both exhibit distinctive behavioral and communications patterns that can be detected—but only if intelligence agencies have the right data and tools to analyze it.

Yet Washington is blunting its surveillance powers. Collection of phone metadata under the Patriot Act was banned by Congress and finally ceased at the end of November. Collection of the contents of specific targets’ communications under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act has been dumbed down, with onerous requirements to secure the authorizing court order. The intelligence community feels beleaguered and bereft of political support. What’s needed is a fundamental upgrade to America’s surveillance capabilities.

Congress should pass a law re-establishing collection of all metadata, and combining it with publicly available financial and lifestyle information into a comprehensive, searchable database. Legal and bureaucratic impediments to surveillance should be removed. That includes Presidential Policy Directive-28, which bestows privacy rights on foreigners and imposes burdensome requirements to justify data collection.

There has been much debate about whether providers of communications hardware and software in the U.S. should be obliged to give the government backdoor access. Such a mandate would do little good, since terrorists would simply switch to foreign or home-built encryption. New technologies can cloak messages in background noise, rendering them difficult to detect.

Forcing terrorists into encrypted channels, however, impedes their operational effectiveness by constraining the amount of data they can send and complicating transmission protocols, a phenomenon known in military parlance as virtual attrition. Moreover, the use of strong encryption in personal communications may itself be a red flag.

Still, the U.S. must recognize that encryption is bringing the golden age of technology-driven surveillance to a close, which necessitates robust human intelligence. Pursuing every lead on terrorist activity would require a substantial increase in FBI funding and personnel—perhaps double or triple the number of field agents capable of tracking suspects. The Paris attacks, whose perpetrators exchanged numerous unencrypted text messages, were a grim reminder that capable but overstretched security services cannot thwart every terrorist plot.

Congress and the administration should also reassure the intelligence community by reiterating their full support for current surveillance programs. Revitalizing cooperation with foreign intelligence partners, which greatly decreased in the wake of Edward Snowden’s disclosures, is essential. This would require serious dialogue between world leaders and assurances that security has been tightened to prevent similar leaks.

Enhanced congressional oversight—a true partnership between the executive and Congress—is needed. Each month the intelligence community should provide classified briefings to the House and Senate intelligence committees on how surveillance programs are working, what actionable information has been developed, and whether mistakes or abuses have occurred. These briefings should be recorded, and lawmakers should sign an acknowledgment of their attendance. This would bolster accountability and ensure that nobody suffers a memory lapse, such as Nancy Pelosi’s failure to remember that she was extensively briefed on the CIA’s enhanced-interrogation program.

None of this can happen without a rigorous national debate about surveillance, launched by congressional hearings. A review of the post-9/11 surveillance successes and failures needs to be a prominent part of this discourse. Most disagreements on surveillance are about policy, not law: Reasonable warrantless searches are compatible with the Fourth Amendment. So are searches of data shared with third parties, such as social-media posts—a highly valuable surveillance window, since people undergoing radicalization are prone to showcase their zealotry online.

In the wake of 9/11, surveillance reforms were adopted virtually overnight, with little discussion; they did not last. Hence the importance of building enduring public support. Surveillance should feature prominently in the 2016 presidential campaign, giving the next commander in chief a mandate and sense of obligation to implement reforms. Opposition to surveillance has been bipartisan, and the strategy for overcoming it must be bipartisan too.

Assertive efforts to defeat Islamic State will diminish, but not eliminate, the threat. Quick response by law enforcement is vital to limiting casualties and neutralizing attackers but cannot entirely prevent terrorism. Even the best 21st-century surveillance system won’t have a 100% success rate. But robust surveillance, drawing on a variety of technical and human intelligence and backed up by rigorous investigation of all leads, is the best way to mitigate the threat.

Mr. Pompeo, a Republican from Kansas, sits on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Mr. Rivkin, a constitutional lawyer, dealt with intelligence oversight while serving in the Justice Department and the White House Counsel’s Office during the Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/time-for...nce-1451856106
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Opposition to surveillance has been bipartisan, and the strategy for overcoming it must be bipartisan too.
    Damn right. Let's get to work on that.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Time for a Rigorous National Debate About Surveillance

Post-9/11 measures have been weakened or discarded. A coherent new approach is needed.

America is in a long war against a resilient enemy capable of striking the homeland, but U.S. intelligence capabilities are falling short of meeting the threat. The San Bernardino attackers were not flagged, despite their repeated visits to jihadist websites, alarming posts on social media, and suspicious financial transactions. The Boston Marathon bombers evaded timely detection, as did the would-be shooters in Garland, Texas, who had exchanged dozens of messages with a known terrorist overseas.
    That's all I needed to see.

Something about a boot stepping on the face of humanity forever....
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Still don't like Pompeo pick though........

What’s needed is a fundamental upgrade to America’s surveillance capabilities.
    And THAT, my friends, is how you MAGA!!!!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Who would Hillary put in?
    I don't know she is not up for the job, she is at home napping. Lets see who the president-elect is hiring to run our country? Its not like if we impeach Trump we get Clinton, I $#@!ing hate this argument. Trump should go $#@! himself, not run my country to the ground and murder my heroes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast