Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Decline And Fall of the Liberty Movement, Illustrated

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Some of you guys take things way to personal. If you disagree with someone, big deal. These forums are for debating not arguing. I see some people carrying bad feelings from one thread and unloading on another. That boggles my mind. I've simultaneously had screaming matches with Christianliberty on one thread and a cordial discussion on another. I wish we could all go out and I could buy y'all a beer.

That's what is really killing this place.
    ON. THE. NOSE.

All the name-calling, neg repping, and finger-pointing has really gotten out of hand.

Can we just STOP?
    There is no spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I didn't work my ass off for liberty all these years just to give deliberate saboteurs a pass on intentionally wrecking the movement.

I will diligently work for the rest of my life to make sure anyone professing adherence to any form of anarchism is purged from any political organization or movement in which I will have influence, and to warn others of the damage that those who tolerate them will inevitably suffer.

No matter how broadly I may agree with them on many conclusion-principles (their reasoning is terrible but that's another topic), it has been proven without a reasonable doubt that any organization with an anarchist in it is going to be less useful and effective than those with none.

So if you want any progress towards liberty in your lifetime, it is all but compulsory to start by identifying anarchists and purge them from the political system.
    Murray Rothbard

Society Without a State

By Murray N. Rothbard

Murray Rothbard delivered this talk 32 years ago at the American Society for Political and Legal Philosophy (ASPLP), Washington, DC: December 28, 1974. It was first published in The Libertarian Forum, volume 7.1, January 1975, available in PDF.

In attempting to outline how a “society without a state” – that is, an anarchist society – might function successfully, I would first like to defuse two common but mistaken criticisms of this approach. First, is the argument that in providing for such defense or protection services as courts, police, or even law itself, I am simply smuggling the state back into society in another form, and that therefore the system I am both analyzing and advocating is not “really” anarchism.

This sort of criticism can only involve us in an endless and arid dispute over semantics. Let me say from the beginning that I define the state as that institution which possesses one or both (almost always both) of the following properties: (1) it acquires its income by the physical coercion known as “taxation”; and (2) it asserts and usually obtains a coerced monopoly of the provision of defense service (police and courts) over a given territorial area. An institution not possessing either of these properties is not and cannot be, in accordance with my definition, a state.

On the other hand, I define anarchist society as one where there is no legal possibility for coercive aggression against the person or property of an individual. Anarchists oppose the state because it has its very being in such aggression, namely, the expropriation of private property through taxation, the coercive exclusion of other providers of defense service from its territory, and all of the other depredations and coercions that are built upon these twin foci of invasions of individual rights.
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/1970/01/...hism-can-work/

^^THIS^^ is true anarchism and we do not want to purge it.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    He takes an awful lot of credit for a dead movement which changed precisely nothing.

That's because those goddamned anarchists have ruined everything. If we could just purge those asshats we'd hacve liberty restored in a decade. Two, tops.

What a petulant child.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I didn't work my ass off for liberty all these years just to give deliberate saboteurs a pass on intentionally wrecking the movement.

I will diligently work for the rest of my life to make sure anyone professing adherence to any form of anarchism is purged from any political organization or movement in which I will have influence, and to warn others of the damage that those who tolerate them will inevitably suffer.

No matter how broadly I may agree with them on many conclusion-principles (their reasoning is terrible but that's another topic), it has been proven without a reasonable doubt that any organization with an anarchist in it is going to be less useful and effective than those with none.

So if you want any progress towards liberty in your lifetime, it is all but compulsory to start by identifying anarchists and purge them from the political system.
    So....it's meltdown time again?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    So....it's meltdown time again?

Nothing says "Liberty!" like a good, old fashioned purge.

Amirite?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Nothing says "Liberty!" like a good, old fashioned purge.

Amirite?
    Uncle Joe knows.

"The Patriarch"

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Uncle Joe knows.

I'd +rep you if I could.
    Chris

Regarding the dearly departed thoughtomator's anti-anarchist screed...

From the perspective of a pragmatic minarchist, ancaps do tend to be a problem: not because of their principles, but because they tend to be purists when it comes to practical efforts to realize those principles, to a degree that's counterproductive (we all have our litmus tests, but some are unreasonably strict). Some ancaps are like this, some aren't, as we see here on RPF (e.g. some supported Rand, some didn't); nor is this a problem unique to anarchism (though of libertarians afflicted, a disproportionate number are ancaps). But if ancaps are a problem, they're a relatively minor one: that fly that keep landing on your neck. It's the giant, retarded, Messicun-hating, orange toupeed gorilla in the room which is the real problem facing the liberty movement at the moment.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 11-17-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    I'd +rep you if I could.
    Covered.

LOL. Sure. Okay ... "Please don't throw us into the briar patch, Brer Fox!" LOL ...

"I've got you this time, Brer Rabbit," said Brer Fox, jumping up and shaking off the dust. "You've sassed me for the very last time. Now I wonder what I should do with you?"

Brer Rabbit's eyes got very large. "Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

"Maybe I should roast you over a fire and eat you," mused Brer Fox. "No, that's too much trouble. Maybe I'll hang you instead."

"Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please," said Brer Rabbit. "Only please, Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

"If I'm going to hang you, I'll need some string," said Brer Fox. "And I don't have any string handy. But the stream's not far away, so maybe I'll drown you instead."

"Drown me! Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please," said Brer Rabbit. "Only please, Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

"The briar patch, eh?" said Brer Fox. "What a wonderful idea! You'll be torn into little pieces!"

Grabbing up the tar-covered rabbit, Brer Fox swung him around and around and then flung him head over heels into the briar patch. Brer Rabbit let out such a scream as he fell that all of Brer Fox's fur stood straight up. Brer Rabbit fell into the briar bushes with a crash and a mighty thump. Then there was silence.

Brer Fox cocked one ear toward the briar patch, listening for whimpers of pain. But he heard nothing. Brer Fox cocked the other ear toward the briar patch, listening for Brer Rabbit's death rattle. He heard nothing.

Then Brer Fox heard someone calling his name. He turned around and looked up the hill. Brer Rabbit was sitting on a log combing the tar out of his fur with a wood chip and looking smug.

"I was bred and born in the briar patch, Brer Fox," he called. "Born and bred in the briar patch."

And Brer Rabbit skipped away as merry as a cricket while Brer Fox ground his teeth in rage and went home.

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-17-2016 at 01:11 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Rome, 50 BC, a group of Roman liberty lovers meet at the forum.

Gaius: This Julius Caesar guy is great! He's really shaking things up! He needs our support!

Titus: No, Julius Caesar is not a friend of liberty. He is an aspiring strongman and we should oppose him.

Quintus: TITUS CUCKOLDUS MAXIMUS EST!

Flavius: Purists like you are why we never accomplish anything.

Romulus: He isn't perfect, but there's this one really corrupt senator who doesn't like him.

Titus: I despair for Rome.
    Stop believing stupid things

I have never understood this argument that "person A must be ok because person B whom I hate, hates them."

That's the very argument that almost got us into nuclear armageddon with the Soviet Union most of my life growing up.

Stalin hated Hitler, so Stalin must be okay and worthy of allying with? Yeah, that didn't work out so well.

That argument never works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I have never understood this argument that "person A must be ok because person B whom I hate, hates them."

That's the very argument that almost got us into nuclear armageddon with the Soviet Union most of my life growing up.

Stalin hated Hitler, so Stalin must be okay and worthy of allying with? Yeah, that didn't work out so well.

That argument never works out well.
    Reported for beta cuck purism.

(And I'm pretty sure there's a MAGA violation in there somewhere, too ...)

It takes a real purist, anarchist $#@! to oppose a hero like Trump just because he supports stop-and-frisk, SWAT raids, caging people inside the borders, universal health care, wars for foreign oil, heavy taxes on imports, inflation, federal make work projects, eminent domain, and artificially low interest rates. No wonder they never get anything done.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I seriously hate the word cuck

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    It takes a real purist, anarchist $#@! to oppose a hero like Trump just because he supports stop-and-frisk, SWAT raids, caging people inside the borders, universal health care, wars for foreign oil, heavy taxes on imports, inflation, federal make work projects, eminent domain, and artificially low interest rates. No wonder they never get anything done.
    Damn right.

Spoken like a real American.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    ancaps do tend to be a problem: not because of their principles, but because they tend to be purists when it comes to practical efforts to
    realize those principles, to a degree that's counterproductive
    I think it's down to the individual person. Methodology and end result are two different things. I'm an ancap and I would have been totally comfortable with Johnson/Weld in a transitional sense.

Some people quit cold turkey, some take a more incremental approach.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Gold Standard again."
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    I think it's down to the individual person. Methodology and end result are two different things. I'm an ancap and I would have been totally comfortable with Johnson/Weld in a transitional sense.

Some people quit cold turkey, some take a more incremental approach.
    Absolutely

Not all libertarians (ancaps or otherwise) appreciate that distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangergirl View Post
    This is where you get it wrong Gunny. No one said they wanted Trump over any Liberty candidate. He's the guy we have and he seems approachable with liberty ideas. We want to take the opportunity to advance our Constitutional values. You're being a "purist" because you're shutting out any possibility of conversion. And this attitude goes towards piers as well. There's a slew of new voters who are excited about their diluted idea of Liberty but instead of welcoming them and encouraging them to learn you want to mash their heads into the dirt with all their "mistakes". I don't see how, in your position, you're so undiplomatic :d
    Anyone who thinks Trump is approachable with "liberty ideas" is an idiot or a sucker. Same garbage argument made for every garbage politician. Vote Romney/McCain/Bush/Dole/Bush/ et. al beaus they're better than the alternative. In what way? No way. Same ruler, different tie color.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I appreciate the sentiment, but I am not disappointed in Ron Paul at all. I am proud of him. Righteousness is never wrong.
    Agreed. I am a voluntaryist. I am so because of the ideas that Ron Paul introduced me to. And he has been the only politician I know of who I honestly believe would trying and shrink the government, reduce federal power, and end foreign wars. He proved this again and again with his record and his reasoning. Therefore, even when I disagreed with him, I trusted him and could vote for him. There isn't a similar politician in all of government who I trust in that same way and therefore I won't vote for them.

You're missing the part in the cartoon where Rand ran an absolutely abysmal campaign, polled at less than 1%, couldn't win a single state, sold out the grassroots and abandoned his fathers rhetoric in favor of appealing to neocons.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Covered.

LOL. Sure. Okay ... "Please don't throw us into the briar patch, Brer Fox!" LOL ...

"I've got you this time, Brer Rabbit," said Brer Fox, jumping up and shaking off the dust. "You've sassed me for the very last time. Now I wonder what I should do with you?"

Brer Rabbit's eyes got very large. "Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

"Maybe I should roast you over a fire and eat you," mused Brer Fox. "No, that's too much trouble. Maybe I'll hang you instead."

"Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please," said Brer Rabbit. "Only please, Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

"If I'm going to hang you, I'll need some string," said Brer Fox. "And I don't have any string handy. But the stream's not far away, so maybe I'll drown you instead."

"Drown me! Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please," said Brer Rabbit. "Only please, Brer Fox, please don't throw me into the briar patch."

"The briar patch, eh?" said Brer Fox. "What a wonderful idea! You'll be torn into little pieces!"

Grabbing up the tar-covered rabbit, Brer Fox swung him around and around and then flung him head over heels into the briar patch. Brer Rabbit let out such a scream as he fell that all of Brer Fox's fur stood straight up. Brer Rabbit fell into the briar bushes with a crash and a mighty thump. Then there was silence.

Brer Fox cocked one ear toward the briar patch, listening for whimpers of pain. But he heard nothing. Brer Fox cocked the other ear toward the briar patch, listening for Brer Rabbit's death rattle. He heard nothing.

Then Brer Fox heard someone calling his name. He turned around and looked up the hill. Brer Rabbit was sitting on a log combing the tar out of his fur with a wood chip and looking smug.

"I was bred and born in the briar patch, Brer Fox," he called. "Born and bred in the briar patch."

And Brer Rabbit skipped away as merry as a cricket while Brer Fox ground his teeth in rage and went home.

How it was first told...

HOW MR. RABBIT WAS TOO SHARP FOR MR. FOX

"Uncle Remus, " said the little boy one evening, when he had found the old
    man with little or nothing to do, "did the fox kill and eat the rabbit when
    he caught him with the Tar-Baby?"

"Law, honey, ain't I tell you 'bout dat?" replied the old darkey, chuckling
    slyly. "I 'clar ter grashus I ought er tole you dat, but ole man Nod wuz
    ridin' on my eyelids twel a leetle mo'n I'd a dis'member'd my own name, en
    den on to dat here come yo' mammy hollerin' atter you.

"W'at I tell you w'en I fus' begin? I tole you Brer Rabbit wuz a monstus
    soon beas'; leas'ways dat's w'at I laid out fer ter tell you. Well, den,
    honey, don't you go en make no udder kalkalashuns, kaze in dem days Brer
    Rabbit en his fambly wuz at de head er de gang w'en enny racket wuz en han',
    en dar dey stayed. 'Fo' you begins fer ter wipe yo' eyes 'bout Brer Rabbit,
    you wait en see wha'bouts Brer Rabbit gwineter fetch up at. But dat's needer
    yer ner dar.

"W'en Brer Fox fine Brer Rabbit mixt up wid de Tar-baby, he feel mighty
    good, en he roll on de groun' en laff. Bimeby he up'n say, sezee:

"'Well, I speck I got you did time, Brer Rabbit,' sezee; 'maybe I ain't but
    I speck I is. You been runnin' 'roun' here sassin' atter me a mighty long
    time, but I speck you done come ter de cen' er de row. You bin currin' up
    yo' capers en bouncin' 'roun' in dis naberhood ontwel you come ter b'leeve
    yo'se'f de boss er de whole gang. En der youer allers some'rs whar you got
    no bixness,' ses Brer Fox, sezee. 'Who ax you fer ter come en strike up a
    'quaintence wid dish yer Tar-Baby? En who stuck you up dar whar you iz?
    Nobody in de 'roun' worril. You des tuck en jam yo'se'f on dat Tar-Baby
    widout waintin' fer enny invite,' sez Brer Fox, sezee, 'en dar you is, en
    dar you'll stay twel I fixes up a bresh-pile and fires her up, kaze I'm
    gwinteter bobbycue you dis day, sho,' sez Brer Fox, sezee.

"Den Brer Rabbit talk mighty 'umble,

"'I don't keer w'at you do wid me, Brer Fox,' sezee, 'so you don't fling me
    in dat brier-patch. Roas' me, Brer Fox,' sezee, 'but don't fling me in dat
    brier-patch,' sezee.

"'I ain't got no string,' sez Brer Fox, sezee, 'en now I speck I'll hatter
    drwon you,' sezee.

"'Drown me des ez deep es you please, Brer Fox," sez Brer Rabbit, sezee,
    'but do don't fling me in dat brier-patch, ' sezee.

"'Dey ain't no water nigh,' sez Brer Fox, sezee, 'en now I speck I'll hatter
    skin you,' sezee.

"'Skin me, Brer Fox,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee, 'snatch out my eyeballs, t'ar
    out my yeras by de roots, en cut off my legs,' sezee, 'but do please, Brer
    Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch,' sezee.

"Co'se Brer Fox wnater hurt Brer Rabbit bad ez he kin, so he cotch 'im by de
    behime legs en slung 'im right in de middle er de brierpatch. dar wuz a
    considerbul flutter whar Brer Rabbit struck de bushes, en Brer Fox sorter
    hang 'roun' fer ter see w'at wuz gwinter happen. Bimeby he hear somebody
    call im, en way up de hill he see Brer Rabbit settin' crosslegged on a
    chinkapin log koamin' de pitch outen his har wid a chip. Den Brer Fox know
    dat he bin swop off mighty bad. Brer Rabbit wuz bleedzed fer ter fling back
    some er his sass, en he holler out:

"'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en bawn in a brier-patch!'
    en wid dat he skip out des ez lively as a cricket in de embers."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    How it was first told...

HOW MR. RABBIT WAS TOO SHARP FOR MR. FOX

"Uncle Remus, " said the little boy one evening, when he had found the old
    man with little or nothing to do, "did the fox kill and eat the rabbit when
    he caught him with the Tar-Baby?"

"Law, honey, ain't I tell you 'bout dat?" replied the old darkey, chuckling
    slyly. "I 'clar ter grashus I ought er tole you dat, but ole man Nod wuz
    ridin' on my eyelids twel a leetle mo'n I'd a dis'member'd my own name, en
    den on to dat here come yo' mammy hollerin' atter you.

"W'at I tell you w'en I fus' begin? I tole you Brer Rabbit wuz a monstus
    soon beas'; leas'ways dat's w'at I laid out fer ter tell you. Well, den,
    honey, don't you go en make no udder kalkalashuns, kaze in dem days Brer
    Rabbit en his fambly wuz at de head er de gang w'en enny racket wuz en han',
    en dar dey stayed. 'Fo' you begins fer ter wipe yo' eyes 'bout Brer Rabbit,
    you wait en see wha'bouts Brer Rabbit gwineter fetch up at. But dat's needer
    yer ner dar.

"W'en Brer Fox fine Brer Rabbit mixt up wid de Tar-baby, he feel mighty
    good, en he roll on de groun' en laff. Bimeby he up'n say, sezee:

"'Well, I speck I got you did time, Brer Rabbit,' sezee; 'maybe I ain't but
    I speck I is. You been runnin' 'roun' here sassin' atter me a mighty long
    time, but I speck you done come ter de cen' er de row. You bin currin' up
    yo' capers en bouncin' 'roun' in dis naberhood ontwel you come ter b'leeve
    yo'se'f de boss er de whole gang. En der youer allers some'rs whar you got
    no bixness,' ses Brer Fox, sezee. 'Who ax you fer ter come en strike up a
    'quaintence wid dish yer Tar-Baby? En who stuck you up dar whar you iz?
    Nobody in de 'roun' worril. You des tuck en jam yo'se'f on dat Tar-Baby
    widout waintin' fer enny invite,' sez Brer Fox, sezee, 'en dar you is, en
    dar you'll stay twel I fixes up a bresh-pile and fires her up, kaze I'm
    gwinteter bobbycue you dis day, sho,' sez Brer Fox, sezee.

"Den Brer Rabbit talk mighty 'umble,

"'I don't keer w'at you do wid me, Brer Fox,' sezee, 'so you don't fling me
    in dat brier-patch. Roas' me, Brer Fox,' sezee, 'but don't fling me in dat
    brier-patch,' sezee.

"'I ain't got no string,' sez Brer Fox, sezee, 'en now I speck I'll hatter
    drwon you,' sezee.

"'Drown me des ez deep es you please, Brer Fox," sez Brer Rabbit, sezee,
    'but do don't fling me in dat brier-patch, ' sezee.

"'Dey ain't no water nigh,' sez Brer Fox, sezee, 'en now I speck I'll hatter
    skin you,' sezee.

"'Skin me, Brer Fox,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee, 'snatch out my eyeballs, t'ar
    out my yeras by de roots, en cut off my legs,' sezee, 'but do please, Brer
    Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch,' sezee.

"Co'se Brer Fox wnater hurt Brer Rabbit bad ez he kin, so he cotch 'im by de
    behime legs en slung 'im right in de middle er de brierpatch. dar wuz a
    considerbul flutter whar Brer Rabbit struck de bushes, en Brer Fox sorter
    hang 'roun' fer ter see w'at wuz gwinter happen. Bimeby he hear somebody
    call im, en way up de hill he see Brer Rabbit settin' crosslegged on a
    chinkapin log koamin' de pitch outen his har wid a chip. Den Brer Fox know
    dat he bin swop off mighty bad. Brer Rabbit wuz bleedzed fer ter fling back
    some er his sass, en he holler out:

"'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en bawn in a brier-patch!'
    en wid dat he skip out des ez lively as a cricket in de embers."
    LOL. Though it is not used in the above, I remember back when I encountered the word "oncet" in a variety of places. I tried to read it phonetically as "onset" or "onket," neither of which made any sense. I couldn't figure out what the hell it was supposed to mean. Context didn't matter much - more often than not, omitting the word didn't seem to make any difference to the sense of the sentences in which it appeared. [Example: "Oncet I went to New York City" - or "I went to New York City oncet."]

It drove me nuts until I finally encountered it spelled more phonetically as "wunst," Then a light bulb went off - "oncet" was just a transcription of "once" as pronounced with a terminating plosive. Perhaps I might have "gotten" it sooner if a "d" had been used instead of "t" ... (and this was back before you could look up things like "oncet" on Wiktionary or the like ...)

Anyway, ever since then, I have absolutely detested idiosyncratic dialect mimicry - not because of "political correctness" or any such thing, but just because it's so damn hard to parse (especially when it's smeared on as thickly as it is above).
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 05-12-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    LOL. Though it is not used in the above, I remember back when I encountered the word "oncet" in a variety of places. I tried to read it phonetically as "onset" or "onket," neither of which made any sense. I couldn't figure out what the hell it was supposed to mean. Context didn't matter much - more often than not, omitting the word didn't seem to make any difference to the sense of the sentences in which it appeared. [Example: "Oncet I went to New York City" - or "I went to New York City oncet."]

It drove me nuts until I finally encountered it spelled more phonetically as "wunst," Then a light bulb went off - "oncet" was just a transcription of "once" as pronounced with a terminating plosive. Perhaps I might have "gotten" it sooner if a "d" had been used instead of "t" ... (and this was back before you could look up things like "oncet" on Wiktionary or the like ...)

Anyway, ever since then, I have absolutely detested idiosyncratic dialect mimicry - not because of "political correctness" or any such thing, but just because it's so damn hard to parse (especially when it's smeared on as thickly as it is above).
    LOLOLOLOL...oh I'm dying over here...

One of my favorites from this passage:

kalkalashuns = calculations

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234