Thread: Rand Paul defends top Trump aide Steve Bannon

Rand Paul defends top Trump aide Steve Bannon

Rand Paul defends top Trump aide Steve Bannon

Jon Ward
    November 15, 2016

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., jumped back into the national news cycle Tuesday — after several quiet months — by condemning some of President-elect Donald Trump’s potential picks for top jobs.

But Paul also defended Trump’s most controversial hire so far: Steve Bannon.

Paul told Yahoo News that criticism of Trump’s decision to make the former Breitbart News CEO his chief counselor was “sour grapes by people who lost.”

“When people lose, they look for a scapegoat or they try to caricature people, and I think [Bannon is] a human being,” he said. “I think they’re making him a scapegoat and a caricature of something they want to be their enemy, and I don’t think any of it’s true.”

“I’ve met him. I don’t believe him to be a racist. I don’t believe him to be someone who characterizes people on race, gender, religion, you name it,” Paul said. “I think he ought to be judged by how well he performs.”

And in fact, the more nuanced criticisms of Bannon have been that he is so animated by a driving desire to destroy the left that he is willing to resort to any measures to do so. In other words, he wants to use radical Jacobin means for conservative ends. That’s why he has reportedly called House Speaker Paul Ryan “the enemy” and has used Breitbart to assault the Republican establishment.

Paul, however, said he was unbothered by that, and voiced some criticisms of Ryan himself.

“Politics is a rough and tumble sport, and people who think, ‘Oh, it’s so uncivil,’ need to go back and read about the fights between Jefferson and Adams. Really, it’s always been rough and tumble,” Paul said. “And to tell you the truth, I’ve often said that I think Paul Ryan’s not part of the solution, in as far as the budget. The last two times we broke the sequester, they were at the behest of Paul Ryan. He’s voted for every debt ceiling increase in the last 20 years he’s been up here.”

read more:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/rand-paul...222622198.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Poor Rand. Rock and a hard place...

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Rand should have an opportunity to influence Trump. With any luck Trump is serious about making some changes that we would welcome. If someone like Rand Paul shares his thoughts, some good might just come from it. I am hoping so anyway.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

I'd have probably defended Bannon too. People like Rand (and, well, me) cannot alienate the Tea partiers or the teocons and expect to stay in office. Bannon is full tilt teocon, so you kind of have to stand up for him or risk alienating your own base.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Rand should have an opportunity to influence Trump. With any luck Trump is serious about making some changes that we would welcome. If someone like Rand Paul shares his thoughts, some good might just come from it. I am hoping so anyway.
    If we repeal the Johnson Amendment, and he does not do anything incredibly stupid to make things a lot worse, then I will look back on this administration as a net positive. Ending 501(c)3 will cover a lot of sins for me. I suspect however even if he does keep his word to end the Johnson Amendment, he will do a bunch of other, horrible things that more than makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I'd have probably defended Bannon too. People like Rand (and, well, me) cannot alienate the Tea partiers or the teocons and expect to stay in office. Bannon is full tilt teocon, so you kind of have to stand up for him or risk alienating your own base.
    Wasn't condemning. Rand has always played a different game than his dad. Just putting things in perspective WRT how he chooses to deal with Trump. Seems Rand gave a one-two today. Condemned Bolton as SOS publicly then gave Bannon an endorsement. Trump team heads must be spinning.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Tom Woods likes Bannon and we know how fastidious Tom is. Bannon is the best thing to come out of the Trump phenomenon bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Tom Woods likes Bannon and we know how fastidious Tom is. Bannon is the best thing to come out of the Trump phenomenon bar none.
    Finally something that may be truth. And that should scare the hell outta you.

(that bar is pretty low)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

What are you talking about? You're completely misreading this entire thing, amazing. Rand is ok with Bannon and against Bolton, he's got it right and its a pretty simple answer since Bannon is pretty loud about being anti-neocon and anti-establishment. He is an ally in this war.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    What are you talking about? You're completely misreading this entire thing, amazing. Rand is ok with Bannon and against Bolton, he's got it right and its a pretty simple answer since Bannon is pretty loud about being anti-neocon and anti-establishment. He is an ally in this war.
    Um, o.k.?

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    If we repeal the Johnson Amendment, and he does not do anything incredibly stupid to make things a lot worse, then I will look back on this administration as a net positive. Ending 501(c)3 will cover a lot of sins for me. I suspect however even if he does keep his word to end the Johnson Amendment, he will do a bunch of other, horrible things that more than makes up for it.
    I have no doubt that there will be plenty for us to not like about actions that Trump takes, there is also plenty of room to do good.

I am glad that we won't have Hillary Clinton stocking the Supreme Court.

Protecting the 2nd Amendment is a net win to me.

Mostly I am just glad that we are coloring outside of the lines. Who knows, maybe 4 years from now the Presidential Debates will include more than 2 parties.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I have no doubt that there will be plenty for us to not like about actions that Trump takes, there is also plenty of room to do good.

I am glad that we won't have Hillary Clinton stocking the Supreme Court.

Protecting the 2nd Amendment is a net win to me.

Mostly I am just glad that we are coloring outside of the lines. Who knows, maybe 4 years from now the Presidential Debates will include more than 2 parties.
    Our ace in the hole in regard to the 2nd Amendment. Still, it would be hard to repeal something like the Hughes Amendment.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/25/politi...ns-gun-rights/

Isn't Bannon alt-right? I hope Rand Paul didn't knowingly support anyone associated with that movement.
    Stop believing stupid things

I think Rand did great in that video interview. Said Bolton sucks, Rudy would have to say he is sorry before he gives him time of day and for the media to stop calling Bannon names and give him a chance.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    Isn't Bannon alt-right? I hope Rand Paul didn't knowingly support anyone associated with that movement.
    nope

Here we are as the two year mark of this lil ole story looms!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.