Thread: Becoming Useful

Becoming Useful

https://fee.org/donate

How to Develop a Work Ethic and Be an Amazing Employee

Friday, November 04, 2016

https://fee.org/articles/how-to-deve...zing-employee/

Talk to business owners about “kids these days” and you will get a wicked earful of epithets. Whatever happened to the work ethic?
    The answer to that question is not found in some strange corruption of the soul that has taken place in recent years, though that might be the result. The real issue has very practical roots.

No Prior Experience

Young people often enter the workforce following school with no previous job experience in a commercial space. There are high costs to this reality. They lack essential formation in what it means to be truly valuable to others. You can’t learn this from sitting in a desk and taking notes for 16 years. It’s a habit of mind that connects directly to habits of time and action.
    The old bourgeois sentiment said that work is as good, or better, a teacher as school. It believed that it was essential for all young people to have jobs so that they could develop a work ethic before they became full-time professionals.
    Today it’s not so easy for young people to get a job. Strictly enforced laws prohibit remunerative work before the age of 16. A serious job is not viable until the age of 18, at which point college beckons and student loans make possible a work-free life. Wage floors discourage employers from taking risks with inexperienced employees. And the tight job market since 2008 has limited opportunities for even those who might want to work.
    The work ethic is the casualty. This is sad and ridiculous because having a work ethic is not actually difficult. It requires very little other than focus and a handful of rules. They can be summarized: punctuality, the willingness to do what is asked of you, the discipline to stay on task, the drive for excellence, the capacity to be creative, the passion for discovery of unmet needs, and the adoption of a service-oriented mindset.
    All these traits make up the work ethic. It can’t always be taught. It is best cultivated through experience. So let me begin with one of my own experiences.

Conversation Overheard

“This new Tucker kid is pretty useless,” said my boss to another manager.
    They didn’t know I was listening because I was around the corner. I was 15 years old and working for a catering company.
    “He never does anything,” he went on.
    I was devastated to overhear this. But I was lucky at the same time.
    I had just been hired from a busboy position at another restaurant. The new company was a scrappy outfit, not some well-organized franchise. Dirty tables, old food, stained pans, stacked plates, sticky chairs, grimy sinks, stinky napkins, piles of rolls, cups, and cooking stuff were strewn everywhere. The place was a dump. It was a like kitchen jungle of chaos and I had no clue what was what. It seemed like one big catastrophe.
    I recall a sense of fear about the job because I didn’t know anyone and I didn’t know this business. So I defaulted to extreme caution. I did what I was told to do. I washed some stuff and put away a few things, and then I was at a loss as to what to do next.
    No one had time to “train” me. Everyone was too busy. I had no mentors. After I finished my tasks, I kind of just watched the clock. I felt anxious about it but I was too lost and confused to know the next step. So it’s true. I was kind of useless.
    But this comment — I’m so glad I overheard it! — seared into my heart and then brain. Useless! What he meant was that I was costing the company more than I was being paid. Every hour I was there I was causing them to lose money. I had negative value as a human being.
    I could have quit. But I was grateful for the job, and didn’t know where else to look. I could have hated on the boss and the manager. But what’s the point?

Becoming Useful

I had to change, had to do something different than I was. I had to become useful. That is to say, I had to contribute more value to the enterprise than I took out in wages. I had to become the kind of person that they wanted there because I made the business more successful. I had to become a person of positive value.
    To have a work ethic means to have an insatiable inner drive, to adopt the right values to bring about productivity as extension of the choices you make in your career.What to do? I blinked my eyes, blinked again, and looked around. Oh my, suddenly, the place looked completely different. Where I had previously seen an unfixable mess, a regrettable dump to which I had been assigned, I suddenly saw work undone. Things to do! Plates needed stacking, butter needed to be put in the fridge, the ovens needed cleaning, the floor was filthy, the hallway was a junk heap, the light bulbs needed changing.
    No one else seemed to be doing these things. I went nuts and started working my tail off. No one told me what to do. No one said I was doing the right or wrong thing. Many things I didn’t really know how to do. Still, I figured it out. In the course of a few days, I had transformed the place. I felt a sense of pride and even ownership.
    I got curious about our next catered dinner. Where was it? What prep work needed to be done? What chairs and tables need to be cleaned to prepare? I asked these questions and jumped on tasks as soon as I heard the answers. I got ever better at finding things to do because I got to know the business better.
    Within a few days, I was suddenly valuable, and the boss said so. Sure, I made mistakes. I put towels away in the wrong place and put some too-old food back in the refrigerator. Still, they liked that I had tried. I liked me. I kept the job and, after a month, I got a raise.

The Work Ethic

I didn’t know it then, but this was the cultivation in my own mind of a work ethic. This ethic is not so much about right and wrong. After all, leisure is a wonderful thing, even a goal, something fabulous and worth shooting for. Work is, to some extent, regrettable, or, as economists would say, carries with it a certain “disutility.” We do it in hopes of a higher standard of living, which is to say a better life.
    To have a work ethic means to have an insatiable inner drive, to adopt the right values to bring about productivity as extension of the choices you make in your career. In a practical sense, it is a habit of doing what must be done, doing it with a relentless attention to excellence, and then developing a strong desire to do more than you are asked to do.
    That means finding things that are undone and discovering ways to do them. The goal is to let these traits define who you are as a worker, and then come to love and embrace that identity.
    Mastering this ethic is the best possible thing you can do for your own life. It doesn’t matter what the job is. The lesson applies to them all.
    It is not about doing what you are told, though getting that much right is a pretty wonderful thing. Truly, we all need to be reminded of this point. When the boss suggests something to do, it is absolutely incontrovertibly true that it must be done. Other priorities need to be moved down the list. The task must be completed.
    There is nothing in this world that annoys a supervisor or boss or owner more than to have to remember and follow up on a task after it has been assigned, to return to the person to whom it is assigned in order to follow up to make sure it is done, only to find that it had slipped through the cracks. No one has time for that.
    If you never fail to do what you are asked to do, and your boss gains a sense that you will always and everywhere do the thing you are asked to do, you can shine like a diamond.
    If you do this, you are more than halfway toward being amazing. Already you are way ahead of your peers. Also, accomplishing the tasks doesn’t always have to be about pleasing the boss. Doing things that other people in the know suggest is also a valuable thing. Being a great colleague and friend to others besides your direct supervisor pays huge returns.

Six Types of Bad Employees

Another way to think about this subject is to contrast the great employee with six types of problem employees.

The Braggart.
    This is the person who never fails to trumpet to everyone even the slightest evidence of productivity. This usually backfires and ends up highlighting just how little the braggart actually does. The work ethic means not to brag or seek praise for your work. Your productivity will be noticed regardless. If anything, giving credit to others who help you makes others feel wonderful. This helps your karma, and you get the benefit eventually.

The Complainer.
    This person considers every task to be an dreadful imposition. Nothing is right, and everyone else is to blame if the task remains undone. He or she encourages others to complain also, spreading discontent and whininess far and wide.
    In contrast, the great worker joyfully embraces all opportunities to add value. It means to go beyond what needs to be done to develop that rare capacity to see the unseen work that could be done. Once you see this, you never run out of value to contribute. Then you become a source of real progress, which is defined by that which goes outside the assigned routine to discover what is new, all in service of others.

The Hoarder.
    This person deals with fears of job security by accumulating ever more responsibilities, refusing to ask others for help, publicly heaving with a sense of burden and suffering, and then never quite getting it all done while invoking the excuse of being overworked. The hoarder’s goal is to broadcast an impression of his or her own unique talents that no one else can possibly replicate. In contrast, a great worker is happy to share knowledge, allocate tasks, cooperate, learn from others and train others to be wonderful too, freeing more time for creativity.

The Offloader.
    This person is the inverse of the hoarder, but just as much a problem. The unteachable offloader imagines that he or she has been hired for a certain skill set and can learn no more. “I don’t do” and “I won’t do” and “I don’t like to do”…fill in the blank. It’s all about using a lack of skill as an excuse for laziness and fobbing work off on everyone else. In contrast, having a work ethic means a willingness to do that which is not fun, to learn new skills, to try new applications, to venture into unknown territory, and to add to one’s intellectual capital every day.

The Gossip.
    This person proves the adage that “idle hands do the devil’s work.” The gossip is consumed by internal matters of personnel and can’t resist dripping poison in others’ ears. He or she fosters division, suspicion, paranoia, and discontent. The workplace becomes a game of thrones.
    In contrast, people with a work ethic do not wallow in office politics. They ignore gossip, backstabbing, and trash talk. They do not organize into factions. If you can stay above it all, and just be amazing in every aspect of your career, you will come out on top.

The Sneak.
    This is the person who looks for any opportunity to appear to be working but not actually working. It becomes a game: get away early for lunch, return late, or leave the office when everyone is in a meeting. He or she uses work hours to goof off online while neglecting essential tasks, and has developed many ways to hide it with quick browsing tricks to switch screens. Every word becomes a little fib, and work life becomes a vast effort in subterfuge.
    In contrast, a good employee doesn’t fear being found out because he or she has nothing to hide and can browse Facebook with confidence because all other work is done.

More Value In than Out

The “work ethic” isn’t just about the sweat of your brow and saving your soul. It is really about your own individual interest. The reason you are hired is to contribute more value than you take out. If you do that, you ascend. If you do not do that, you are not long for this job, and you become just another one of the “kids these days.” It’s the most simple and the most profound application of economics because it directly affects your life.
    The more valuable you can be to others in a marketplace, the better and more wonderful life you can have.All of these traits are difficult to adopt without real-world experience. But sadly, for young people, the world is conspiring to deny them the chance to gain such experience. The necessary work ethic needs to be a personal commitment, something adopted with conscious deliberation and applied in every aspect of your professional life.
    The more valuable you can be to others in a marketplace, the better and more wonderful life you can have. And therein lies the beauty of the market. It calls us all to excellence and creativity in the service of others, and enables all of us to assist in making the world more wonderful. That’s not only good for prosperity. It’s also good for the human spirit itself.
    To be sure, bosses have their own issues of a different sort. A great boss can energize an entire enterprise while a bad boss can disable and de-motivate even the best workers. But that’s a subject of a different article.
    As I look back over what I’ve written here, one big supposition underlies my point: the existence of a functioning market economy with a vibrant commercial sector. If the labor market is bogged down, if there are no consumers to serve, if people aren’t rewarded for productivity, if there is no space for the exercise of creativity, none of this applies.
    Therefore, one final caveat: it is probably the case that none of this applies to government work. Here productivity, creativity, and consumer service are punished. How to survive such a setting? My only suggestion is to walk away. Go somewhere where the work ethic can indeed save your soul.

Jeffrey Tucker

Jeffrey Tucker is Director of Content for the Foundation for Economic Education and CLO of the startup Liberty.me. Author of five books, and many thousands of articles, he speaks at FEE summer seminars and other events. His latest book is Bit by Bit: How P2P Is Freeing the World. Follow on Twitter and Like on Facebook. Email.
    Last edited by presence; 11-14-2016 at 08:21 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Or work for yourself.....

No quicker way to sink or swim on your own merit...

Problem is the boss is always an $#@!..

I endorse this message. I tell my kids that the bigger the delta between what you're getting paid and the value you provide, the better. It makes you more indispensable and allows you to earn more money in the long run.

The key is to always be decreasing that delta on the one end by getting raises and promotions, while simultaneously increasing that delta on the other by becoming more valuable. If that delta ever goes into negative territory, you're toast. (and yeah, useless)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

As soon as my husband hears someone say, that's not my job, he starts looking for a reason to fire them. He's the boss and does what needs to be done but, apparently, some folks are above picking up a $#@!ing dirty dish because it's not in their job description. Incidentally, I heard the same thing from a super wealthy friend who owns a large business in Atlanta. He complained to me once that he owns the place but changing a light bulb seems to be beneath everyone else's pay grade. He said, he's always on the look out for someone who does that kind of stuff without being asked or complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

I treat myself well .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I endorse this message. I tell my kids that the bigger the delta between what you're getting paid and the value you provide, the better. It makes you more indispensable and allows you to earn more money in the long run.

The key is to always be decreasing that delta on the one end by getting raises and promotions, while simultaneously increasing that delta on the other by becoming more valuable. If that delta ever goes into negative territory, you're toast. (and yeah, useless)
    Absolutely! And also don't wait for the boss to get around to noticing you. He's a busy guy. If a quarterly or bi-annual sit down to discuss how things are going, if you can do more, and what the boss's vision for you in the future is. Don't wait on the raise that may never come if there are other opportunities out there. Some boss's can be just as lazy as some workers. Never trust a manager to promote you. He may be worried you will take his job. And if you are doing things right you probably should.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 11-14-2016 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I treat myself well .
    Softie.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I treat myself well .
    Sometimes I make me work on a weekend. Sometimes overtime into the evening. I do tend to give myself a good Christmas bonus tho. So it's a wash.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    As soon as my husband hears someone say, that's not my job, he starts looking for a reason to fire them. He's the boss and does what needs to be done but, apparently, some folks are above picking up a $#@!ing dirty dish because it's not in their job description. Incidentally, I heard the same thing from a super wealthy friend who owns a large business in Atlanta. He complained to me once that he owns the place but changing a light bulb seems to be beneath everyone else's pay grade. He said, he's always on the look out for someone who does that kind of stuff without being asked or complaining.
    That is just being lazy himself, why should somebody do something they shouldn't be doing, unless they want to actually do that. Okay their employed, but really that is just getting employed people to do tasks they probably don't want to do.

Who ever used the cup or dish should clean it themselves, when I was a volunteer in a charity shop, I was told one volunteer was told to clean some plates when he wasn't the one that used them, that was just exploiting unemployed people on welfare, that is taking the piss. No money for that, forget people like that. The people who made the mess should of cleaned that up, that isn't anyone volunteers job, voluntary or involuntary, sadly the management has to do it since they work there.

Or the time, when a few volunteers were cleaning the rubbish out back, I had to do this myself, and one guy was complaining like he was to good to do it, which I can't really fault someone for that, I thought the management wasn't right about that, that was just exploiting. Obviously this was volunteering, not paid employment, but either way I don't think getting people to do tasks just because the management doesn't want to themselves is wrong at times.
    Last edited by Republicanguy; 01-04-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    That is just being lazy himself, why should somebody do something they shouldn't be doing, unless they want to actually do that. Okay their employed, but really that is just getting employed people to do tasks they probably don't want to do.
    Then they can go work somewhere else. And Mr Animal isn't lazy, he works his ass off. As a matter of fact, he sleeps at work sometimes so $#@! off. No one calls Mr A lazy on my watch...*grumble, grumble*

Who ever used the cup or dish should clean it themselves, when I was a volunteer in a charity shop, I was told one volunteer was told to clean some plates when he wasn't the one that used them, that was just exploiting unemployed people on welfare, that is taking the piss. No money for that, forget people like that. The people who made the mess should of cleaned that up, that isn't anyone volunteers job, voluntary or involuntary, sadly the management has to do it since they work there.

Or the time, when a few volunteers were cleaning the rubbish out back, I had to do this myself, and one guy was complaining like he was to good to do it, which I can't really fault someone for that, I thought the management wasn't right about that, that was just exploiting. Obviously this was volunteering, not paid employment, but either way I don't think getting people to do tasks just because the management doesn't want to themselves is wrong at times.
    He runs a bar. I guess he should tell customers to clean their own damn glasses because waitresses don't want to. o_O
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Sometimes I make me work on a weekend. Sometimes overtime into the evening. I do tend to give myself a good Christmas bonus tho. So it's a wash.
    I have always been big on a nice Christmas bonus for myself .

When I ran Mnfg businesses I always promoted from within for anything but entry level or engineering jobs . So , I too was always on the look out for people who just did the right thing . I groomed them into Leadmen , then later on , that is where the Supv.'s were drawn from . When I left the stainless steel tubing plant I ran for 8 years , every Leadman in the place had previously been a machine operator and half the Supv.'s too . Those were also the least lazy and best informed Supervisors .
    Do something Danke

You may have acquired for yourself the most messed-up, self-defeating world-view you could have possibly acquired. The #1 most messed-up view. And that's saying something.

Then they can go work somewhere else. And Mr Animal isn't lazy, he works his ass off. As a matter of fact, he sleeps at work sometimes so $#@! off. No one calls Mr A lazy on my watch...*grumble, grumble*

He runs a bar. I guess he should tell customers to clean their own damn glasses because waitresses don't want to. o_O
    No that is getting people to do work because management doesn't want to even if they are employed. People like that can $#@! off. I'm tired of big arrogant ass's who are employed and think they are better than others and look down on welfare loafers and have such pedal stood attitudes to the world. Get off your own high horse.

So many who work and practice god think they are so much better than the ungodly welfare thumping scroungers.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    You may have acquired for yourself the most messed-up, self-defeating world-view you could have possibly acquired. The #1 most messed-up view. And that's saying something.
    No, an employed person doesn't go dish washing because somebody else doesn't want to, unless that employee used them they should clean them.

My experience of the example was in a charity shop, so the management were just bossing involuntary volunteers and volunteers, taking the piss. Just to get others to do the work, with little appreciation.

And no I wouldn't make any cups of tea for anyone or use anything there myself, I want nothing to do with places like that.

Some people in business just get others to do work so they don't have to, human nature is corruptible anywhere, everyone has a mindset oh I'll get someone else to do it. Its okay, just this alone, even if they think well may be I shouldn't do this. I don't trust people with their views, there is always a reason for big or small tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

I like to work for myself and by myself but I HATE being the boss over other people. It causes so much stress.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No that is getting people to do work because management doesn't want to even if they are employed. People like that can $#@! off. I'm tired of big arrogant ass's who are employed and think they are better than others and look down on welfare loafers and have such pedal stood attitudes to the world. Get off your own high horse.

So many who work and practice god think they are so much better than the ungodly welfare thumping scroungers.
    Are you posting from an insane asylum? o_O

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    I like to work for myself and by myself but I HATE being the boss over other people. It causes so much stress.
    Sometimes as a one-man-show I have to take on others. I do it through family and friends or their recommendations. And for the most part it works out fine. If I ever had to take on individuals I didn't know I'd agree.

Only because we are.

Work is a virtue. In and of itself. Learn it.

Oh, and mooching? Isn't.

LibForestPaul

Profit is maximized when the highest cost is obtained for the least about of value-added. I assure you, you will not be rewarded for hard work in todays corporate environment. Be exploited if you think your martyrdom is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Profit is maximized when the highest cost is obtained for the least about of value-added. I assure you, you will not be rewarded for hard work in todays corporate environment. Be exploited if you think your martyrdom is worth it.
    You have to make sure to embrace the growth mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Only because we are.

Work is a virtue. In and of itself. Learn it.

Oh, and mooching? Isn't.
    You have a position of self importance, along with religion and god, lead to a dangerous view of people as filth. Looking down on people as usual.

Don't walk on anyone or exploit them.

You have a position of self importance, along with religion and god, lead to a dangerous view of people as filth. Looking down on people as usual.
    People who don't support themselves should be looked down on.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    exploiting mal-productive people is often helping them provide labor liquidity they didn't even know they had

pimpin' ain't easy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facebook-joined-the-sofa-craze-115014.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	5596
    Last edited by presence; 01-31-2017 at 09:44 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Is that crazy talk for yes?

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    There will be no loyalty in a large Co , that is a given .
    Do something Danke