Thread: Liz Cheney Wins Wyoming House Seat

Liz Cheney Wins Wyoming House Seat

Oh jeez, don't these people have stuff to do in Hell? I imagine it's rather busy down there thesse days.

Liz Cheney, daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, is projected to do what she couldn’t in 2014: return to Washington.

Cheney led Democratic challenger Ryan Greene 62 percent to 32 percent with nearly 50 percent of precincts reporting for Wyoming’s at-large seat in House, according to The Associated Press.

[Election Results 2016]
    Coming into Election Day, the Rothenberg & Gonzales Political Report/Roll Call rated the race Safe Republican.

Wyoming has not elected a Democrat to the House since 1976.

Cheney's father once held the at-large Wyoming U.S. House seat.

Incumbent Republican Cynthia Lummis, the only female member of the House Freedom Caucus, opted not to seek a fifth term. In 2014, she won with 68.5 percent of the vote.

“I used my political capital in Washington to bring about reform and to represent the best interests of Wyoming. Now it is time for a new face to take on this important task for Wyoming,” she said at the time of her November 2015 announcement.

Three years ago, Cheney angered the Wyoming political establishment by trying to defeat senior Sen. Michael B. Enzi in a primary. The battle was so heated that former Wyoming Sen. Alan Simpson, a longtime friend of the Cheney family, stuck with Enzi, prompting Lynne Cheney, the wife of the former vice president, to tell Simpson to “shut up.”

There’s still resentment toward her in Wyoming, though, with some Republicans painting her as a carpetbagger.

Cheney carried 40 percent of the vote in a nine-way primary when the Associated Press called that race in August. Cheney’s victory will likely make her one of the few female freshman in the House GOP conference next year.

She has not ruled out joining the Freedom Caucus when she gets to Washington but her campaign coffers had been lined with big-name establishment Republicans who served in both Bush administrations.

Cheney broke with many of her establishment backers in offering support of Republican nominee Donald Trump. Many of her father’s peers in the Bush administration did not.

“You know, a Liz Cheney Republican is somebody who is a strong constitutional conservative, believes in limited government,” she told The Washington Post, adding that she disagrees with some of Trump’s foreign policy positions.

Cheney served in the State Department during the George W. Bush administration.

“Wyoming needs a strong voice in Congress to lead the effort to undo the devastating policies of the last seven and a half years and restore our freedom. I will be that voice. I will be that leader,” Cheney said the night of her primary victory.

- See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politic....s7DcE2rS.dpuf
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, joy. Here is a photo of her at a "bust unveiling ceremony (I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole)."

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politic...ing-house-seat

Now, how does she get her ass handed to her in her attempt to gain the Republican Senate nomination, but wins the sole House of Representatives seat in Wyoming?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Now, how does she get her ass handed to her in her attempt to gain the Republican Senate nomination, but wins the sole House of Representatives seat in Wyoming?
    This was an open seat, right? For Senate, she was challenging a sitting, popular incumbent.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

If she's half as good as Mehgan McCain then she's a huge improvement over the Dem-communist types.

I'm not so hopeful based on her last name but Ms. McCain would certainly get my vote over any Dem.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    she's a huge improvement over the Dem-communist types.
    But aren't neocons Dem-communist types?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    But aren't neocons Dem-communist types?
    Yes. I don't know where Cheney's policies lie...if you read my post properly you'd see my sentence began with IF.

I'm not a McCain fan but I don't think he could possible be as bad as Dick Cheney...it wouldn't surprise me if Liz wasn't much different BUT people are not their parents so I cannot make that judgement right now.

I can tell you that despite my general dislike for a lot of John McCain's policies, having heard his daughter speak on issues, I find myself agreeing with her a lot and respecting her views, her well spoken explanations and she also contributes original insights. Go figure.

Therefore...if Liz Cheney is half as good as Ms. McCain she WOULD be better then the absolutely insane marxists that are all over the place.

If Liz is a neocon big govt warhawk like daddy Dick then she can sniff glue for all I care.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park