Thread: Meet Dr. Judy Shelton, Trump's economic advisor, fan of Ron Paul and Sound Money

Meet Dr. Judy Shelton, Trump's economic advisor, fan of Ron Paul and Sound Money

Apparently she's been Trump's economic advisor for some time now and is second to Larry Kudlow, in Trump world.

She tends to use terms like; Constitutional scholars, sound money, gold standard, founding fathers.

Profile:
    Judy Shelton is an economist with expertise in global finance and monetary issues. She is co-Director of the Sound Money Project at the Atlas Economic Research Foundation and author of The Coming Soviet Crash (1989), Money Meltdown (1994), and Fixing the Dollar Now: Why US Money Lost Its Integrity and How We Can Restore It (2011). Her international economics articles have been published by The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Washington Post and Financial Times. Dr. Shelton holds a Ph.D. in business administration from the University of Utah.
    http://www.thegoldstandardnow.org/pr...d-standard-now
    She mentions Ron Paul @ 20:33 (positively, almost heroically) grilling Bernanke on the Fed.

This recent Q&A with her is impressive.
    This Trump Economic Advisor Wants America to Go Back to the Gold Standard
    http://fortune.com/2016/08/18/trump-...-judy-shelton/

Q&A with Dr. Judy Shelton, the only female economist advising the campaign.
    Donald Trump is no policy wonk.

He is pitching himself as the best man for the presidency based on his track record as businessman, and his ability to surround himself with the “best” people—not on his knack for writing white papers. This, of course, means that it is important for voters to understand whom he is surrounding himself with, and what sort of ideas they hold.

With this in mind, Fortune reached out to Dr. Judy Shelton, one of two economists recently named to Donald Trump’s economic advisory team, and the only woman to hold that title. Shelton is a senior fellow and co-director of the Atlas Sound Money Project, whose mission is to promote the principles of sound money and raise awareness of what they see as the inherent problems of our current monetary system. Dr. Shelton first rose to prominence when she predicted the economic collapse of the Soviet Union in 1989, two years before it transpired.

Fortune discussed with Dr. Shelton what sort of advice she is passing along to the Republican nominee and what she thinks about the biggest economic questions of the day. The interview has been edited for length and clarity.

How did you become involved with the Trump campaign?

Dr. Shelton: I have over the years advised a number of Republican candidates, going back to Jack Kemp and more recently Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and Ben Carson. I’ve worked for a long time with Stephen Moore and Larry Kudlow, and Larry asked me if I had some thoughts for the Trump campaign on the issues I discuss most, namely international monetary relations, currency, and trade issues. I’ve been intermittently sending Larry my thoughts in the form of memos on these issues.

Have you spoken with Mr. Trump directly?

I met him back in the early nineties at some gatherings, both social and business related. But I haven’t spoken directly with him since he’s been a candidate. I have been communicating through [Trump national finance chair] Steve Mnuchin and [economic advisor] Larry Kudlow.

Your first book was on the economic collapse of the Soviet Union: How does that experience inform how you look at the world?

Four years ago I wrote an article for The Wall Street Journal titled, “The Soviet Banking System—and Ours.” What concerns me is that central banks around the world, the ECB, the Bank of Japan are now buying corporate assets. I’m wondering how far away we are from the Fed thinking it needs to branch out and buy corporate assets. Will these corporate assets be those from firms that are politically connected?

My work on the Soviet Union was an analysis focused on the banking system, and how the banking system in the Soviet system became a way to channel credit to state-owned institutions and state-owned enterprises. And I worry that banks are becoming partners with the state in managing the economy. I’m very uncomfortable with how complicit banks are becoming through the their mandatory membership in the Federal Reserve.

If you had been Fed Chair in 2008, how would you have changed monetary policy?

The Fed’s ultimate responsibility is acting as the lender of last resort. They did what they had to do in terms of lending to distressed institutions, but the short answer is that I would have gotten back to normalization of interest rates much more quickly.

More broadly, I think we need a fundamental reassessment of the global monetary order. I’m glad that Chairman Kevin Brady of the House Ways and Means Committee has proposed a monetary commission and really looking at what is the relationship between economic performance and the exchange rate regime, and to whether we need a rules-based monetary policy, and what should be the role of central banks.

You’ve written before about going back to some sort of gold-based monetary system. Is that something the U.S. could do unilaterally, or would we need to convene other nations and get them on board?

I’m not opposed to a new Bretton Woods conference, and if it takes place at Mar-a-Lago, I’m fine with that. But anything the U.S. does because we print the international reserve currency, unilateral action would almost instantly be accommodated by other countries.

In terms of gold being involved, some people may think of that as a throwback, but I see it as a sophisticated, forward-looking approach because gold is neutral and it’s universal. It’s a well-accepted monetary surrogate that transcends borders and time. If you look at the foreign reserves of the most important countries, they keep them mostly in gold. I don’t want to read too much into it, but it proves that gold is not some barbarous relic.

Would the first step in that be issuing gold-convertible bonds?

Don’t attribute this idea to the Trump campaign, but it has been something that I have been proposing for years now. A gold-backed bond was first proposed in 1981 by Alan Greenspan. I think the U.S. should issue them as an experimental pilot program, similar to the TIPS bond, that compensates people who are concerned about the future value of the dollar. For those who are concerned about a big financial meltdown, these bonds would give them some insurance, as gold tends to rise in price during periods of financial stress.

The Chinese would welcome this development, because it would likely be a stabilizing force for the value of the dollar and protect their dollar holdings. I also think they are the most likely country to provide a parallel instrument. If China were to offer a similar instrument where five years from now you can get back x amount in yuan or an ounce of gold, five years from now both the U.S.-issued instrument and the China-issued instrument are worth the same thing, an ounce of gold. So now you start getting projections of a stable exchange rate determined by market forces.

If this practice starts to spread to even more countries, you would start to see the semblance of a future stable exchange rate system with those exchange rates being determined by what market forces believe about the future value of those currencies.

What would you advise the Trump campaign about what it’s been saying about trade?

I like it whenever [Trump] says “I believe in free trade.” And he says it all the time. What he doesn’t like is allowing countries to engage in activities that undermine the principles of free trade. You can’t homogenize the cost of labor or labor standards or environmental standards. But what you can do is address the problems of our international monetary system.

It used to be economic doctrine that stable exchange rates brought about optimum financial flows and investment, and optimum decisions about where to produce goods and where to buy and sell goods and services. And I still think it’s the case that the proper monetary foundation for genuinely free trade has to be stable exchange rates. That way you can’t manipulate currency to get an advantage. Currency manipulation is like saying you’re competing in the 100-meter dash, and at the last minute one runner gets to redefine a meter as a centimeter, and still be declared the winner.

It’s not fair to say that people who are criticizing currency manipulation to be called protectionist. I give Donald Trump a great deal of credit for focusing on that issue.

Donald Trump has also made comments referring to a coming economic crisis. Do you think we should worry?

I commend him for being willing to talk about it, as it’s the elephant in the room. I think it’s perfectly legitimate to question whether the current monetary system we have is working, and whether we’ve solved the imbalances that led to the last crisis.

The Trump Campaign has argued for spending big on new infrastructure at the same time that it wants to build up the military and cut taxes. It hasn’t put forward much in the way of spending cuts, however. Do you think we need to be worried about deficits and the debt?

I’m always worried about deficits and the debt and ideally [want] a balanced budget. But these are really difficult times, and I think following the model of Ronald Reagan, where the focus was on pro-growth policies, is wise right now. On corporate taxes, I think the 15% rate will have a huge impact on small and not-so-small businesses. That’s fiscal stimulus, and I like that a lot better than stimulus that’s just more government spending.

The fact that Trump is a builder and a businessman makes me confident that he can bring his track record of finishing projects on time and under budget to the federal government. It’s the wasteful government spending that ends up being the problem.
    Last edited by eleganz; 11-12-2016 at 04:00 AM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If there are any ways for us to help raise the profile of Dr. Shelton, it could help to give her a more influential role/bigger voice in the administration.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

Lol.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Seems promising. What position will she fill in the administration?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Seems promising. What position will she fill in the administration?
    As of now, it appears she isn't entirely hands on but it would be nice if we could somehow help amplify her voice and profile for a more prominent role in the administration.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

And three years after this thread he nominates her to the FeD board of governors.

Most ironically, he did this without any of us asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    And three years after this thread he nominates her to the FeD board of governors.

It would be very interesting to know more about Christopher Waller, the other guy he nominated.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

She also wrote a piece in the Wall Street Journal in 2001 titled "North America Doesn't Need Borders" promoting a single economic union with a single currency -like the Euro Zone. While talking about a gold standard (which in theory limits the creation of more money) she is heavily promoting that she wants to do what Trump asks and start pumping up the money supply quickly- dropping interest rates to zero as fast as possible- the opposite of a gold standard.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-07-2019 at 11:58 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It would be very interesting to know more about Christopher Waller, the other guy he nominated.
    A more "traditional" nominee. Long experience in banking and working at the Federal Reserve. He is an Executive Vice President at the St. Louis Fed. He too would like lower rates (why Trump nominated him) but not as aggressively as Shelton.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-07-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    A more "traditional" nominee. Long experience in banking and working at the Federal Reserve. He is an Executive Vice President at the St. Louis Fed. He too would like lower rates (why Trump nominated him) but not as aggressively as Shelton.
    Also note he is not black, unlike Herman Cain, who also had long experience with the Fed, but Zippy says was not a qualified candidate.

Bold move to bring back fiscal discipline and small gov. This could be more consequential than even appointments of Bolton, Pompeo, Jarvanka etc
    This if confirmed as non-fakenews would also negate theories that MAGA was a puppet of big debt , big spending, wars loving globalist neoconservative Adelson/was fake America-Firster.

She also wrote a piece in the Wall Street Journal in 2001 titled "North America Doesn't Need Borders" promoting a single economic union with a single currency -like the Euro Zone. While talking about a gold standard (which in theory limits the creation of more money) she is heavily promoting that she wants to do what Trump asks and start pumping up the money supply quickly- dropping interest rates to zero as fast as possible- the opposite of a gold standard.

It's a good thing that Trump didn't pick her for an immigration post but gold WAS an international money and there's no reason it shouldn't be again.
    She has also opposed low interest rates in the past and that may be her real position. (just like Trump)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Do you have a link to any info?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Literally a year later and a lot of establishment reluctance to pass her through.....

Judy Shelton finally passes the Senate banking committee 13-12 along party lines, now on her way for full Senate confirmation. I'm sure it helps that we have Rand's slick strategery and relationship with Mitch. The fact that she's gotten this far is amazing in itself and not something I'd ever imagine possible after 2012. Of course it doesn't come easy, MSM headlines today about Shelton's committee clearance is calling her "questionable" for her views.

Of course, nobody from the grassroots liberty movement actually lobbied Trump to nominate Shelton. This is all the work of D.C. libertarian insiders like Kudlow and Moore (and probably Freedom Works, Cato and Koch types), as much as you guys want to put everyone and everything through a purity test, they're getting things done. And yes, this all needs to be said.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...s-central-bank

If approved, Shelton, the more controversial of the two, will be a welcome breath of fresh air, says Trump economic adviser Steve Moore.

“There’s nobody better,” said Moore during an interview on FOX Business following the vote. “She is so needed on that Federal Reserve, now does she have some opinions that conflict with maybe what Chairman Powell and some of the others think, absolutely she does, that’s why she is needed...they need someone who doesn’t drink all the Kool-Aid there.”

Shelton has advocated for the gold standard, which links currency directly to gold, and was also a "founding member of Empower America and a staff economist for the National Commission on Economic Growth and Tax Reform chaired by Jack Kemp from 1995 to 1996,” according to her bio. If confirmed, she will fill out the remainder of a 14-year term expiring Jan. 31, 2024.
    Last edited by eleganz; 07-21-2020 at 09:26 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

Do you have a link to any info?

Not any more. Zip is offline for good.

Zippyjuan
    Zippyjuan is
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Literally a year later and a lot of establishment reluctance to pass her through.....

Judy Shelton finally passes the Senate banking committee 13-12 along party lines, now on her way for full Senate confirmation. I'm sure it helps that we have Rand's slick strategery and relationship with Mitch. The fact that she's gotten this far is amazing in itself and not something I'd ever imagine possible after 2012. Of course it doesn't come easy, MSM headlines today about Shelton's committee clearance is calling her "questionable" for her views.

Of course, nobody from the grassroots liberty movement actually lobbied Trump to nominate Shelton. This is all the work of D.C. libertarian insiders like Kudlow and Moore (and probably Freedom Works, Cato and Koch types), as much as you guys want to put everyone and everything through a purity test, they're getting things done. And yes, this all needs to be said.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...s-central-bank
    I couldn't think of a worse choice for the challenges the country faces right now.,

A gold standard is not happening (and probably an idea that is somewhere between suboptimal to terrible if you were designing money from scratch) and Trump puts someone on the Fed who wants America to end up like Japan because o of bad monetary policy.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I couldn't think of a worse choice for the challenges the country faces right now.,

A gold standard is not happening (and probably an idea that is somewhere between suboptimal to terrible if you were designing money from scratch) and Trump puts someone on the Fed who wants America to end up like Japan because o of bad monetary policy.
    Actually, yes a return to gold backing is happening. That's why all of the loading up on gold and silver at institutional levels now and the dollar prices being allowed to rise. Do you even COMEX bro? Having said that, the return to gold backing was planned years ago, since fiat systems are inherently unsustainable. I started a thread about the return to gold backing over 5 years ago, mostly based on my own analysis but also with the help of some reliable inside information from someone who would know. It's just following a script so it should be no surprise that a "gold bug" is now back in the news and is finally passing through the confirmation process.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-money-is-done
    Last edited by devil21; 07-22-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    GOPA neocons funded Likudnites trying to identify as 'Republicans' err 'Ron Paul Republicans' is one of the biggest plays in modern politics by any political group ( Progressive Socialists, Deep Neocon /Ziocons or any other well-funded group). Who needs comedy channel when we got politics.

Sweet Socialism.

GOP-PS : National Debt Tops $26.5 Trillion, 2020 Deficit Could Hit $6 Trillion
    Oh nono, you don't need to pretend to care about the debt. When is this paid troll getting banned?

Paid troll defenders incoming 3...2...
    THE SQUAD of RPF

Could it be possible that the federal reserve note is dumped after tracking up debt and a new US Treasury note introduced? Maybe backed by gold....

Quote Originally Posted by jon4liberty View Post
    Could it be possible that the federal reserve note is dumped after tracking up debt and a new US Treasury note introduced? Maybe backed by gold....
    In short, yes, though not a true gold standard, just a claim of gold backing, along with the introduction of the digital dollar. Read the thread I linked to a couple posts up.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

No return to gold standard but to have her voice on the board of governors will provide some pushback on the status quo.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

She was evidently forced to recant her former support for the gold standard, in the questioning.

So I hear, haven't watched it myself.

In any event, there is zero (0) chance of a return to the gold standard under this government.

They aren't going to impose fiscal discipline on themselves.

MISES INSTITUTE

Why the MSM hates Judy Shelton

Don't worry, some here on RPF also hate Dr. Shelton simply because she was chosen by the orange man.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I find it interesting that there is a sound money advocate on the brink of being confirmed to the FED board of governors and there is essentially zero talk about it. How come? How many endless threads would there be on this topic if Ron Paul nominated her? Perhaps the answer is below;

MISES : SHELTON DERANGEMENT SYNDROME

https://mises.org/power-market/shelt...fed-groupthink

One of the most common critiques waged against Dr. Shelton is that she would be a political loyalist and has questioned the value of Fed political independence. Ignoring the fact that documented American history has shown the notion of “Fed independence” to be a noble myth

Among Dr. Shelton’s Republican critics has been Senator John Kennedy of Louisiana, who made the snide comment that “Nobody wants anybody on the Federal Reserve that has a fatal attraction to nutty ideas” following her testimony in February.

what is clear is that she would give the Federal Reserve something it desperately needs—ideological diversity. This is also why Very Serious People hate her. Shelton’s willingness to challenge the deified “PhD” standard of modern fiat money and question such sacred cows as Fed independence makes her a potentially dangerous threat to the groupthink that has become far too pervasive in central banks. Dr. Shelton understands the dangers of central banks becoming de facto central planners in modern economies, and she understands the valuable role that gold played in past monetary systems.
    Last edited by eleganz; 07-30-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF