Thread: I strongly think someone I know is being scammed - need advice

Question I strongly think someone I know is being scammed - need advice

So someone I know came to me with a vague story and is asking to borrow money for what really sounds like an advance-fee scam

I told him it sounds extremely scammy and I'd help him try to prove it either way.

It sounds to me like (like he said, he's been vague) that he's paid in some money and they've got him on the hook for more. The advice I'm looking for here is:

1) let's say I convince him it's a scam. Is it best to just walk away or play along with the scammers to the point of bringing in law enforcement to hopefully catch them and/or get back whatever he's paid in so far?

2) If law enforcement, who to contact? Just by googling, I came across the Attorney General of Michigan page and it seems like they recommend contacting the FTC (this person lives in Maryland, presumed scammer claims to live in Chicago). Putting aside whatever other crap the FTC might be in charge of, if law enforcement/protection of property is included in those responsibilities, that's a legitimate function of government so I don't see why not to report the incident to them. But will they actually do anything worth a damn? If someone happens to have a contact within the FTC that might go the extra mile, please send me a PM

3) Anyone/anything else to contact? Is there a private party (fee-based or volunteer) that may be of use?

Thanks

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If he's being vague, then it sounds like he might be embarrassed. If that's the case, then there is not much you can do.

The other option would be to try to scam them back. Probably a long shot, but this is a low level scam done by people who are on the lowest level of cons.

I know some guy who scammed some Nigerian f*ck out of $80. I've gotten scammers to waste money by sending me multiple packages through express mail. I got one f*cker to do it six times at $20 a clip. I was going to try to hone it where I could actually wheedle some money out of them, but it's probably too time consuming. If you try, the big thing is taking the time. These guys don't think you'll take the time to try to fool them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    So someone I know came to me with a vague story and is asking to borrow money for what really sounds like an advance-fee scam

I told him it sounds extremely scammy and I'd help him try to prove it either way.

It sounds to me like (like he said, he's been vague) that he's paid in some money and they've got him on the hook for more. The advice I'm looking for here is:

1) let's say I convince him it's a scam. Is it best to just walk away or play along with the scammers to the point of bringing in law enforcement to hopefully catch them and/or get back whatever he's paid in so far?

2) If law enforcement, who to contact? Just by googling, I came across the Attorney General of Michigan page and it seems like they recommend contacting the FTC (this person lives in Maryland, presumed scammer claims to live in Chicago). Putting aside whatever other crap the FTC might be in charge of, if law enforcement/protection of property is included in those responsibilities, that's a legitimate function of government so I don't see why not to report the incident to them. But will they actually do anything worth a damn? If someone happens to have a contact within the FTC that might go the extra mile, please send me a PM

3) Anyone/anything else to contact? Is there a private party (fee-based or volunteer) that may be of use?

Thanks
    You can play with them to waste their time, but it can both be risky, and your friend isn't getting his money back.

And it's definitely a scam.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post

Thanks
    Don't play around with these guys if you don't know what you are doing. You put yourself at risk if you give them anything they can use to track you down. Most of them won't do anything, but you never know if you are dealing with someone who will.

Also it's difficult to find law enforcement who can deal with it. The 419 scammers are well aware of this.
    I dont think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president, he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Hes the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

How is your friend being contacted and how is he supposed to pay the advance ?
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    How is your friend being contacted and how is he supposed to pay the advance ?
    I've been wondering that myself. It's supposed to be a fee to cover the broken contract of some model "well known on social media" of which he would then become her manager. No, he doesn't have any such management or industry experience and yes, I did tell him (among other things) that if she can actually rake in money there would be already be a line of experienced people competing for this open opportunity, and that a legitimate person would want to go with someone with a proven track record that could help her make money. I think/hope that's being mulled over right now