Thread: West Coast Secession

West Coast Secession

Lets suppose that the various Secession movements currently having a post election hissy in Cali and Oregon grow and mature- should the rest of the USA allow them to proceed?

My own political DNA mix of American Nationalist/paleoconservative/libertarian says let them go with conditions.

1) The new Nation(s) get ONLY those counties of Cali & Oregon where a majority votes to depart. Call them the Blue Counties. Red Counties would remain in the Union as Cali and Oregon.

2) The USA would retain the real estate it currently holds as military installations. Other current US public land would alienate to the ne Nation(s)

3)Citizens of the new nations would forfeit their USA Citizenship.

4) The new nations would be required to assume a proportional share of the US National Debt. Individuals renouncing their US Citizenship would forfeit any present or future social security/medicare payment.

5) Harboring jihadi or other terrorists would result in exactly the same droning that any M.E. state receives. Inviting in any foreign military would be a USA cause for War.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by paleocon1 View Post
    Lets suppose that the various Secession movements currently having a post election hissy in Cali and Oregon grow and mature- should the rest of the USA allow them to proceed?
    Good question. Simplistically, I'd say yes without question. Real world, probably still yes, but not without strings. Were CA/OR to secede into two separate nations of their own, there would be at least 1500 miles of coastline lost including naval bases and the like. More relevantly, as sovereign nations they would be able to dictate their own foreign policy, make their own trade deals, and so forth.

Now, imagine that one or both of these new nations decide to allow China to build a naval base there - conjure any reason wish. Imagine feelings are so hard between CA and America that the former decides to join forces w/China in a mutual defense agreement, part of which places three large Chinese naval installations along the coast. Is that something America would be wise in allowing? I think most likely it is not. So that sort of thing would seem to point to the necessity of stipulations pursuant to American national interests that would include no foreign military presence whatsoever on Californian soil. I am sure there is a whole litany of other important considerations that would have to be covered in order not to compromise the security of America.

This is the sort of mess to which all this political hackery leads and that is why I feel we are doomed. People are not very likely to see the wiser path forward. Very much the opposite, I fear.

My own political DNA mix of American Nationalist/paleoconservative/libertarian says let them go with conditions.
    Seems close enough to right.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.