Thread: The Trans-Pacific Partnership is dead, Schumer tells labor leaders

The Trans-Pacific Partnership is dead, Schumer tells labor leaders

The Trans-Pacific Partnership is dead, Schumer tells labor leaders

By Mike DeBonis, Ed O'Keefe and Ana Swanson November 10 at 4:10 PM

The Senate’s soon-to-be top Democrat told labor leaders Thursday that the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the trade deal at the center of President Obama’s “pivot” to strengthen ties with key Asian allies, will not be ratified by Congress.

That remark from Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), who is expected to be the incoming Senate minority leader, came as good news to the AFL-CIO Executive Council, which met Thursday in Washington. Schumer relayed statements that Republican congressional leaders had made to him, according to an aide who confirmed the remarks.

Obama’s signature global trade deal had been on life support for months as both Democrats and Republicans campaigned against unfair trade policies ahead of the Nov. 8 election. And Donald Trump’s triumph in the presidential race cemented its fate.

“There is no way to fix the TPP,” Trump said in a June economic address. “We need bilateral trade deals. We do not need to enter into another massive international agreement that ties us up and binds us down.”

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...labor-leaders/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Toast . When is Manchin switching parties ?
    Do something Danke

What is his specific criticism of the TPP?

It seemed like a good deal to me for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post

Last I saw it was 5544 pages , ya think anyone in the senate has read it ?
    Do something Danke

More Keynesian schemes.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

This seemed to be one of the key arguments for supporting Trump for some people.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

oyarde and donnay both replied to my question: "what is the specific criticism of the TPP" and neither answered it. I still don't get it. IMO it seems the deal brings lower tariffs and less barrier to trade. Seems like a win to me.

oyarde and donnay both replied to my question: "what is the specific criticism of the TPP" and neither answered it. I still don't get it. IMO it seems the deal brings lower tariffs and less barrier to trade. Seems like a win to me.
    How much is sovereignty worth?

Do you think the US should bother with manufacturing anything? Do you think NAFTA was a good thing? Have you read anything about the TPP from credible critics? How many of the thousands of pages are necessary to deal strictly with "free trade" and "lower tariffs"? Do you know specifically what tariffs are presently in place?

There are very specific criticisms of the TPP from very credible people both on the so called left and right. If the Ron Paul of yesterday was around, you might have heard some. That Ron is MIA. Rand was for it, then against it, and who knows where he stands now. Who cares.

Sir James Goldsmith spelled it out long ago. Back when Ron was Ron. This is about the concept of "free trade" in general not the TPP

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peace Piper View Post
    How much is sovereignty worth?

Do you think the US should bother with manufacturing anything? Do you think NAFTA was a good thing? Have you read anything about the TPP from credible critics? How many of the thousands of pages are necessary to deal strictly with "free trade" and "lower tariffs"? Do you know specifically what tariffs are presently in place?

There are very specific criticisms of the TPP from very credible people both on the so called left and right. If the Ron Paul of yesterday was around, you might have heard some. That Ron is MIA. Rand was for it, then against it, and who knows where he stands now. Who cares.

Sir James Goldsmith spelled it out long ago. Back when Ron was Ron. This is about the concept of "free trade" in general not the TPP

You hit me with a bunch of rhetorical questions and two youtubes I'm not going to watch right now.

Still Looking for someone to tell me in their own words, hopefully in just a couple paragraphs, why TPP is bad.

How about that it's NAFTA on steroids? I don't know what's wrong with the TPP but I do know what's wrong with NAFTA. It took away U.S. sovereignty in at least two very crucial ways that I can think of off the top of my head.

1) Did you know that some Mexican trucking companies have a sweetheart deal that they can cross the U.S. Mexico border without being thoroughly inspected? It's called the Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=131106638

What is startling about his allegation is that it happened at a well-known company that is certified under the Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT). Under the U.S.-administered program, a Mexican exporter submits its personnel and security procedures to thorough checking by U.S. Customs, and once they are satisfied, the cargo enjoys expedited transit through U.S. ports of entry.

Eduardo says he saw evidence that company managers had smuggled marijuana in at least two trucks past his dogs and his men. Alarmed, he says he alerted his client and U.S. customs officials to the discovery, but nothing happened.

"It's assumed we have a contract to check the cargo inside the plant," Eduardo says. "They pay us to do that, but they never call us to enter the plant. We only check the trucks they send us. If a U.S. customs agent asks to see the company's paperwork, they'll show him they have a contract with us. But the contract doesn't reflect the reality."

2) Did you no that there is a "inland port" in Kansas? Trucks from Mexico can bypass inspection at the border, drive 1,000 miles to Kansas City, and be "inspected" there. Ummm.....so no drugs or other contraband can be dropped off (or hop off) during that trek across the U.S. heartland?

http://www.iatp.org/news/us-mexican-...in-kansas-city

We were told by the same people who said that NAFTA was just about lowering tariffs (lie) that TPP is just about lowering tariffs.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

You hit me with a bunch of rhetorical questions and two youtubes I'm not going to watch right now.

Still Looking for someone to tell me in their own words, hopefully in just a couple paragraphs, why TPP is bad.
    It's nothing more than managed Trade. It doesn't allow a free market to flourish. As I said above it is more Keynesian scheming and would wind up being the fatal blow to the US economy.

Watch the videos I posted above it is explained rather well by David Knight who is a Libertarian.